| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mad Men Season 6 (no comic spoilers! J/K)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:12 am 
Flounceiad 2011

kasiakoz wrote:
Every MM fan needs to read Tom and Lorenzo - check out what they have to say about Megan's shirt.
http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/06/ma ... nge-4.html
Yes! Tom & Lorenzo are writing the smartest stuff on the interwebz about Mad Men, along with the bloggers at Kritik.

http://unitcrit.blogspot.com/2013/05/ma ... on-69.html

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:03 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I really liked this episode. It's good to see Joan trying to grab more office power and even struggling with it a bit. And I'm curious what Jim is conniving.

And I vote that there will be additional (center stage) violence this season, but I don't think Megan will be killed. It's too obvious. Mad Men likes to kill people off in more shocking ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:13 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I loved this last episode. Joan needs to take charge and she's doing exactly what needs to be done to prove she's a good partner. Peggy thinking she knows oh-so-much about Ted comes off as pathetic, but that nod he gave her...hmm. Not over.

As for the violence, I think someone is going to get caught in a riot. Or killed in the park- it was kind of foreshadowed when the hippie woman Meghan works with came to read lines ("You walked here through the park? That's dangerous.")

Pete smoking pot was beautiful. I laughed pretty hard.

California was boring, but I think that was the point- they're in their own Old World still, continuing to be jarred by what's coming. Making jokes about the riots and violence, laughing at Danny the producer who had more connections, etc.

But the best scene, hands down, was Peggy and Joan standing at the table to meet with the Andrew Hayes. Jesus, that was a powerful moment in this show.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm proud of Joan for standing her ground and I'm proud Peggy ended up backing her up. Now I sure hope that Avon guy calls.

Overall though, I'm not sure what to make of this episode. I understand the how the politics and sentiments are personified in different characters, but I feel like I need someone to explain to me the Don stuff - to the interwebz I shall go a-seeking my answers! The only thing that really struck me was Don saying to the party hostess that Don wasn't his real name. I don't recall him every saying these words out loud to anyone (aside from the real Don's wife). However, I don't know how (if)its significance plays into the cryptic-ness I'm accustomed to expecting. How do you all read his drug dreams and/or that Cali sequence?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:06 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I just...dream sequence. That's just... aren't we past that?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

IsaChandra wrote:

Agreed. I hate them in general, but for some reason I really, really hate them in this show. They feel cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

IsaChandra wrote:

Ha, right? I like my drug dreams administered selectively and infrequently. Overdone it feels like a cop-out. I felt the same way with all of Tony's dreams in the Soprano's. Please confuse me with reality instead of with lala land!

And his drug-use dreams didn't even have Janis as the soundtrack. Hmppf.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:25 pm 

Yeah, it's like "WHOA IMAGINE THIS EXCITING THING HAPPENED! WELL IT DIDN'T!!! HOW BORING!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i think it's them telling us how badly he handles drugs. (as opposed to roger)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Agree that the dream sequences should stop. I love Joan succeeding despite her looks, and seriously love when she picks up the check. I love her being beholden to Peggy - it evens their relationship. (Jim?) is being shady as hell all over the place and I don't like it.

Did anyone notice the previous scenes from this week? Q Don, "Heaven's a little morbid. How do you get to heaven? Something terrible has to happen." Cut to Pete's face.

I was also thinking that the writers could invert this to the Sharon Tate character actually being Don, that Pete (or Harry or or or) could kill him during the final season. I could see them killing Betty too, and Don dealing with his kids. I don't think any of this will necessarily happen, but I do think something serious and violent is coming up. I think it's going to be more overt than most of you do, just my opinion. We'll see!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:40 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh, geez. Matt Weiner would never do anything as ham-handed as LOOK! A COMPLETELY LITERAL SYMBOL! before LOOK! BIG MURDER! Weiner & Co. have always been fans of juxtaposing symbols of real historical trajectories with what's going on in the episode, but these symbols are always strung together as a parallel to the plot, not a direct intersection.

Lane's death wasn't a surprise and we didn't get veiled hints in the form of historical-icon-symbolism...we got direct plotlines about his state of mind long before he committed suicide. And I didn't think the writers were aiming for a dramatic blow--truthfully, I think they were aiming for realism.

Bob Benson's an opportunist and no more manipulative than any of the boys in advertising...but he seems to be stuck in a decade too old for him. It's not quiet naivete...but he's playing by old rules. He's probably voting for Nixon.

What?! Filler? This is the episode in which Joan and Peggy are finally, maybe, hopefully making friends with each other (which, I have no doubt, they've both wanted to do but you know, patriarchy and turning your anger onto other women because you have no power with the men and all that bullshiitake...).

And Ginsburg! Working in a place so counter to his ethics so he can support his father, who's a holocaust survivor, and having to listen to Cutler go on about being pro-war. He's a character with such little screentime, but there'd be less depth to the plot without him. The writer in me just loves him all over the place.

Don's dreamt of awful things before that have not come to fruition. Last season, he had a fever dream that he strangled a woman on his bedroom floor. But it didn't really happen--it really just spoke to his shame in himself and his fear of being found out (and it was made all the more morbid by his fever). The dream in this most recent episode? He's high, so of course it's weirder than a normal dream. And I think he's really, really afraid of something violent happening to Megan--not because it will but because Jesus, given the context of that point in time, how were they not all utterly terrified of a type of pervasive violence they hadn't known to exist?

Now, I'm off to write a treatise elsewhere on why Megan Draper's boringness is necessary to the show. And I think Jessica Pare's acting is really underrated. I can't be the only one. Oh god, don't let me be alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:59 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Dream? You mean near death-experience!! I thought it was a little obvious but auspicious/interesting as hell. the sharon tate-connection is strong and makes me worried for megan (who I like as a character).

I LOVE THIS SHOW !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:25 am 
Flounceiad 2011

tinglepants! wrote:
Oh, geez. Matt Weiner would never do anything as ham-handed as LOOK! A COMPLETELY LITERAL SYMBOL! before LOOK! BIG MURDER! Weiner & Co. have always been fans of juxtaposing symbols of real historical trajectories with what's going on in the episode, but these symbols are always strung together as a parallel to the plot, not a direct intersection.

Lane's death wasn't a surprise and we didn't get veiled hints in the form of historical-icon-symbolism...we got direct plotlines about his state of mind long before he committed suicide. And I didn't think the writers were aiming for a dramatic blow--truthfully, I think they were aiming for realism.

Bob Benson's an opportunist and no more manipulative than any of the boys in advertising...but he seems to be stuck in a decade too old for him. It's not quiet naivete...but he's playing by old rules. He's probably voting for Nixon.

What?! Filler? This is the episode in which Joan and Peggy are finally, maybe, hopefully making friends with each other (which, I have no doubt, they've both wanted to do but you know, patriarchy and turning your anger onto other women because you have no power with the men and all that bullshiitake...).

And Ginsburg! Working in a place so counter to his ethics so he can support his father, who's a holocaust survivor, and having to listen to Cutler go on about being pro-war. He's a character with such little screentime, but there'd be less depth to the plot without him. The writer in me just loves him all over the place.

Don's dreamt of awful things before that have not come to fruition. Last season, he had a fever dream that he strangled a woman on his bedroom floor. But it didn't really happen--it really just spoke to his shame in himself and his fear of being found out (and it was made all the more morbid by his fever). The dream in this most recent episode? He's high, so of course it's weirder than a normal dream. And I think he's really, really afraid of something violent happening to Megan--not because it will but because Jesus, given the context of that point in time, how were they not all utterly terrified of a type of pervasive violence they hadn't known to exist?

Now, I'm off to write a treatise elsewhere on why Megan Draper's boringness is necessary to the show. And I think Jessica Pare's acting is really underrated. I can't be the only one. Oh god, don't let me be alone.
Yes to all of this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:17 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

There was lots of death imagery before Lane committed suicide. That was the season someone was doodling nooses, and the elevator doors opened to no elevator. But I agree that they're not going to be ham fisted about how they use all the background violence this season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:05 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mollyjade wrote:
There was lots of death imagery before Lane committed suicide. That was the season someone was doodling nooses, and the elevator doors opened to no elevator. But I agree that they're not going to be ham fisted about how they use all the background violence this season.

All the death imagery prior to Lane's suicide was internal to main plot. The nooses and the elevator happened in the office building. Those images didn't come in the form of historical symbols. And to be fair, suicide has been a continual ghost throughout all of the seasons--the man falling off the building in the opening credits, Adam's suicide, Roger's regular jokes about it...it's a theme internal to the characters, not outside of or beyond them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:49 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I did not mind the near-death dream sequence, it was the most interesting to date.

This episode had a creepy vibe - very Mamas & Papa-ish. Maybe it was just CA and dark over tones.

Joan seemed very vulnerable, but she pulled through. I am glad Peggy had her back and I hope their friendship grows. I like seeing two women support one another.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:12 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I finally caught up and yet all I have to say is Pete smoking pot at the end of the last ep was the creepiest pot smoking ever! I think he is going to do something really horrible, he's feeling increasingly powerless and he feels that the world owes him so much. I think he's going to kill someone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:59 pm 

I got totally the opposite feeling. Like, finally Pete mellowed out. But whatever, you people are sick.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:01 am 
Flounceiad 2011

IsaChandra wrote:
I got totally the opposite feeling. Like, finally Pete mellowed out.
Yeah, that was my sense as well. In that last scene it seemed like he was deciding that no one is listening to him anyway, he might as well just say "What the hell? Who cares what happens to these crassholes?" and get stoned and blow things off like everyone else. Of course, how long this attitude will last is open to question.
IsaChandra wrote:
But whatever, you people are sick.
Well, obviously.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't think Pete will kill anyone. For one thing I feel like the characters are supposed to be like actual people, not like an action movie or something. Most people don't go out no kill other people no matter how stressful their lives are. I also think Pete smoking pot was a one time thing. I think he will be back to regular Pete next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:09 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

GAAAH. Well, that was horrible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:28 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I loved the dining room scene! Could've come straight out of Dostoevsky.

But I swear that show does something weird and distracting to the backlight on my TV, and that drove me nuts most of the episode.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:45 am 
protein lump

damn. pete's mom was pretty harsh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I love Tom & Lorenzo crowing about calling Bob Benson being gay!

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/06/ma ... avors.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I said yay and clapped my hands at that scene. I just hope Pete isn't scummy enough to out him. Poor Bob, though - if you're gonna fancy your boss, at least fancy one who isn't a complete douche. Or maybe that's the kind of guy Bob is in to.

Also, did Don forget how old Sally is? Did he really think she would buy that bullshiitake excuse?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next