| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mad Men Season 6 (no comic spoilers! J/K)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Nebraskalaska wrote:
erynne936 wrote:
I thought it was interesting how childish and young Sally seemed this episode at the boarding school (in costume as well), in contrast to how much older she has been acting at home. Though I know she obviously couldn't wear a mini skirt and go go boots to her interview. I think she looked especially childish in the plaid dress and blue headband. A nice contrast to show how in between child/adult she currently.

Plus, she looked so adult in the car next to Betty while she was smoking a cigarette and saying that her father had never done anything for her.
Tom & Lorenzo wrote:
We said last week that she was ripe for rebellion, but it looks like it won’t be taking the bell-bottoms, flower-in-your-hair route so many predicted. For now, she’s going to fulfill all her mother’s preppy Main Line dreams for her – on the surface, at least. She’s declaring Betty her “real” parent while she severs ties from Don and tries to make herself into the daughter that Betty always wanted. But this image of the perfect preppy Miss Porter’s girl is belied by what happens in those dorm rooms at night. Sally’s rebellion is going to be decidedly preppy and plaid in nature, but apparently no less full of drugs, sex and alcohol than a lot of people predicted.
It looks like Sally's going to follow in her mother's footsteps and do the poisonous prep school girl thing instead of the hippie counterculture one. For now.

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/06/ma ... mercy.html

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:12 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Sally was so very Betty at the boarding school. It made me a little sad. She has such terrible parents. Kiernan Shipka is really amazing, though.

I hate Pete, but his reaction to the Bob reveal was smart. He let one of these charming fakers slip by him before without getting anything out of it - he's not making that mistake again.

Harry Crane tries to pay hookers with traveler's checks. Of course he does. Keep it classy, Harry.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I love how awful Harry is!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:45 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Is there going to be more to the Bob Benson story? Was that the "big reveal"? It seems like there should be more because of the build-up. Also, why was he speaking Spanish on the phone? (I'm assuming this would be uncommon for the time period.) Was that to show his relationship with Manolo, or his history as a "man servant", or something else?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:18 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

well, manolo is Hispanic. it's just possible he communicates better in spanish.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I think it was a pretty big reveal! He's basically a young, gay Dick Whitman. I hope he stays part of the story, because I want to see how it plays out for him and for Pete, and also because assuming that next year is 1969, he'd be a good lens to view the Stonewall riots through. Also I want he and Joan to become a bff power couple, but that's just wishful thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:41 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

amandabear wrote:
I think it was a pretty big reveal! He's basically a young, gay Dick Whitman. I hope he stays part of the story, because I want to see how it plays out for him and for Pete, and also because assuming that next year is 1969, he'd be a good lens to view the Stonewall riots through. Also I want he and Joan to become a bff power couple, but that's just wishful thinking.

I kind of want Pete to switch teams and end up with Bob. But not really because Bob is awesome and deserves someone who is not Pete.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

No one deserves Pete, dakini.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:34 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I think Manolo is another con-man....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:16 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Oh my God! They killed Kenny!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:20 pm 
Nooch of Earl

amandabear wrote:

I was thinking about this - with Sal gone and their fondness for incorporating historical events into the show, they need some way to bring Stonewall into the plot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:41 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

annak wrote:
amandabear wrote:

I was thinking about this - with Sal gone and their fondness for incorporating historical events into the show, they need some way to bring Stonewall into the plot.

Hmm. Maybe. They should show Bob on the scene! He doesn't seem very...sexual to me right now, despit the Pete knee touch. Part of the mystery surrounding Bob is that we've only really seen him through interactions with the main characters. Sal got his own story line. I just don't want to sit through any Don-style flashbacks to Bob's childhood.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:42 pm 
Nooch of Earl

The Pete knee touch was unsubtle and weird. I mean, it's not like Pete is tripping anyone's gaydar and back in the '60s I people were more closeted out of necessity, not that this wouldn't be a really odd way to hit on random straight guys in the workplace now. I mean, it was just weird. Plus, it's out of character, because wouldn't a Bob be much more careful about showing his cards like that? I like that they have a gay character* again, but the Sal storyline seemed far more sympathetic and believable.

* Or do they? I mean, did Bob pretend hit on Pete just to throw him off or something? I mean, I guess not if he made a living 'lifting luggage,' if you will, prior to comming to SCDPCetc, but it just does not in any way fit. Bob did it for some other reason, or sloppy writing? I can't tell.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:18 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

annak wrote:
The Pete knee touch was unsubtle and weird. I mean, it's not like Pete is tripping anyone's gaydar and back in the '60s I people were more closeted out of necessity, not that this wouldn't be a really odd way to hit on random straight guys in the workplace now. I mean, it was just weird. Plus, it's out of character, because wouldn't a Bob be much more careful about showing his cards like that? I like that they have a gay character* again, but the Sal storyline seemed far more sympathetic and believable.

* Or do they? I mean, did Bob pretend hit on Pete just to throw him off or something? I mean, I guess not if he made a living 'lifting luggage,' if you will, prior to comming to SCDPCetc, but it just does not in any way fit. Bob did it for some other reason, or sloppy writing? I can't tell.

Annak, do you read Tom & Lorenzo's reviews of Mad Men? They're awesome in general, but their take on Bob and this in particular was really interesting and revealing. This post in particular delves into Bob really deeply and after reading it (and their other reviews), Bob makes perfect sense, at least to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

What happened?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

SO MUCH HAPPENED.

This was an incredibly emotional episode. Don was about as self-aware as he's ever been and it was crazy to see. I can't wait to see the fallout from everything next season.

On a more superficial note, I'm glad to see that Bob and Joan are on their way to becoming bffs who go dancing together on weekends, and I kind of want Pete saying "NOT GREAT, BOB" to be my ringtone or something because it was really hilarious to me for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:11 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I'm kind of underwhelmed by that finale.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:16 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Yes, I'm in the underwhelmed camp as well. Although I'm happy that Peggy finally did it. Although, were they doing it the whole time?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:21 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Crying. A lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm not underwhelmed at all. I think it was pretty perfect. A lot happened, just not in an overtly dramatic fashion.

I don't think Ted and Peggy were doing it this whole time, though. I feel like they were carrying on a flirtation or an emotional affair but that they hadn't acted on it physically yet. I could be misreading it, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:11 am 
Nooch of Earl

Thanks for the link--I read the Tom & Lorenzo analysis of Bob. It's a little more convincing, but I still find the whole thing odd. I think they're probably right that a rewatching would help put it into perspective! I guess we'll find out more given the Manolo developments, though!

The episode was fine, but it didn't feel like a finale. I always find the 10 episode seasons much too short. There are so many characters deserving more development...and yet the screen time is always drunk Don moping about with his boring wife.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:45 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

So are we done with Megan now? If they find a way to write her in all the way from LA, I just give up!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:03 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Don's facade isn't just crumbling, he's actively pulling it down; it's amazing that he would take his kids back to the place he/Dick Whitman grew up. Maybe he realizes that the only chance he has to save himself - and his relationship with his children, especially Sally - is to be himself, whoever that really is.

So much else going on in this episode: tortured two-timing Ted, poor Peggy finally getting the score, Betty and Don interacting in a way somewhat resembling actual parents, Bob Benson taking the gloves off and throwing Pete under the bus (apologies for the mixed metaphors), yet still turning up to carve Joan's (non-metaphorical) turkey in Roger's surprised, supplicant face...that man is dangerous. Pete and his brother's tacit agreement to leave their mother with the fishes and let Manolo remain free, but only because he didn't get anything: amazing and horrible. And Don Draper getting FIRED! I can't believe we have to wait for another season, and that it will be the last one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Desdemona, you're spot on - I can't imagine Don of seasons past ever in a million years telling everyone that he's the son of a prostitute, or taking his kids back to the whorehouse he grew up in, or even having that kind of real parental conversation with Betty. Basically, he's showing growth, which is not something Don has ever done before.

The fact that he got fired was crazy. But maybe it will be good for him? The same goes for Megan essentially leaving him. I can't wait to see how that plays out.

I want to know what happened with Joan and Avon, though! Is she an account lady now?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:35 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just read your spoilers! I don't know why. Someone punch me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next