| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mad Men Season 6 (no comic spoilers! J/K)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yes, there's been an appalling dearth of Joan in the last 2 (3?) episodes.

I fell in love with Trudy in this episode. I never really cared for her and thought she was a bit weak and naive, but she kicked Pete's asparagus this time. Best Pete scene since Lane beat the crepe out of him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:09 am 
Flounceiad 2011

IsaChandra wrote:
I feel dumb that I thought Lindsay Weir was wearing old makeup! It's the hairstyle or something, I guess. She looks her age. Duh.
I can see why you'd have thought that, though - even though her makeup isn't "old" (in the sense of making her look chronologically older), it's definitely a "mature" approach. And the helmety hairdo they've given her is definitely aging, but I think pretty typical for a woman her age (40ish?) at the time. It's funny how much hairspray, makeup, etc. our mothers and grandmothers wore - I look at pictures of my mom at my age and she seems so "done up" compared to how I walk around! Anyway, when you see pictures of the actress in real life she looks much younger and prettier.

And, yes - I'd like to know a lot more about what's going on with Joan!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:32 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm so disappointed in Don. Why must he be miserable, all of the time? I really thought that maybe he would turn his shiitake around, but I guess that wouldn't make for a very good show. When he just sat outside the door to his apartment last night, I said to my guy, 'Please, if you ever feel the need to sit outside your door and fork other women just so you don't have to face being around me, break up with me.' And he was like, 'Duh.' It just makes my heart hurt. And I don't even really like Megan!

Also, yeah, what the heck is going on with Joan? So far we've only just had reminders of the fact that she slept her way to the top, but we're not seeing her life at the top very much! Even if she's just miserable, too, I still want to see it.

Also, I knew as soon as Peggy told her boss about the ketchup guy that he was going to make her try to get ketchup. I don't know why she would tell him that story, he's obviously very cutthroat.

And fork yes for Trudy. I basically cheered after she told Pete to stay the hell away from her. I wish she would just divorce him, but maybe that will come eventually. Pete is so slimy and awful.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:33 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I think they're just going to do a Joan-centric episode in the near future, instead of peppering in little bits of her story.. It's a huge cast, so they can't have everyone in every episode and do their characters/stories justice. Roger was barely in this episode after having the last one be very much about him.

That being said, Joan is the best. More Joan, please.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:16 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I am also in the "more Joan!" camp.

I've always liked Trudy for some reason and although I was happy she told Pete to get out, I'm a little sad that we probably won't see her as much.

And I loved Pete and Trudy's couch - it was amazing!

Next week had better be a Joan episode!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:23 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I was lusting over that couch the entire episode. I was also crushing on Joan's outfit and Don's grey suit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i think i missed part of what lindsay weir (i can't remember her character's name) said in response to megan's miscarriage. what did she say that made megan upset?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:51 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

They were talking rather candidly about how Megan wasn't sure what she was going to do about her pregnancy and that she might have considered an abortion had it not been for the miscarriage. Lindsay Weir's character (I don't know either!) said she thought abortion was wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Nebraskalaska wrote:
They were talking rather candidly about how Megan wasn't sure what she was going to do about her pregnancy and that she might have considered an abortion had it not been for the miscarriage. Lindsay Weir's character (I don't know either!) said she thought abortion was wrong.

oh okay. i knew it was somehow related to abortion but i didn't hear megan say she was considering one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

Hardcastle McCormick wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

oh okay. i knew it was somehow related to abortion but i didn't hear megan say she was considering one.

Well, she more said that she wasn't entirely upset about losing the baby, because she wasn't ready for one in the first place. And then Lindsay Weir said that she couldn't imagine thinking that, because of how she was raised, and that Megan was raised that way too.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:06 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

allularpunk wrote:
Well, she more said that she wasn't entirely upset about losing the baby, because she wasn't ready for one in the first place. And then Lindsay Weir said that she couldn't imagine thinking that, because of how she was raised, and that Megan was raised that way too.
"And, oh, I also wear this crucifix while I'm banging your husband."

(Sylvia! Her name is Sylvia!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:40 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Roger needs to bring Don along to talk to his shrink stat!
I am loving the new season already!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Desdemona wrote:

This made my morning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:17 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bekki wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

This made my morning.

Totally. I felt like Sylvia really was guilting Megan about the way she was feeling all the while Sylvia is doing it with don.

Why is it that so many of you don't like Megan? I actually really like her.

I was so happy when Trudy yelled at Peter, although of course I would have loved to see her divorce him, but that wasn't as easy back then. I was a bit surprised at how bachelor Pete's apartment was, I thought it would have been nicer.

I have to say I miss old Joan, I liked when she was sleeping with roger and every season I hope they get back together.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:36 am 
Nooch of Earl

Well the Tet Offensive happened during the last episode, right? My guess would be that they're going to kill off Joan's ex or bring him back and focus on her again then? I don't remember whether the divorce was finalized or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:36 am 
Flounceiad 2011

littlebear wrote:
bekki wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

This made my morning.

Totally. I felt like Sylvia really was guilting Megan about the way she was feeling all the while Sylvia is doing it with don.

Why is it that so many of you don't like Megan? I actually really like her.
I don't hate Megan at all; I never hated Betty, either. Both of them have tried to negotiate being married to someone who can't be trusted, and who makes knowing him in any meaningful way absolutely impossible. Betty is a little older and played the game by the rules as she was raised to understand them: go to college, get married, move to the suburbs, have a couple kids and be an impeccably groomed housewife while your husband climbs the business ladder. She did all of that, but it blew up in her face; it's all very well and good to say (as some people - not necessarily on the PPK - did at the time) that she shouldn't have just jumped ship for another successful man, but what else could she realistically have done? Or even conceptualized doing? I was bent out of shape at so many people hating on Betty when it was Don who was behaving like a crasshole for the entirety of their marriage.

As for Megan, I think she entered into the whole business in good faith (although she was obviously kind of naive to do so) and is trying to make the best of things. I actually felt really sorry for her - feeling unable or unwilling to tell your husband that you're pregnant until after you've had a miscarriage (and even then not for a few days) argues for a pretty unhealthy relationship. And Don's whole "I want what you want" spiel is an accident waiting to happen - are we to assume that if she'd said, "I want to get pregnant again ASAP," he'd jump right on board with bringing yet another Draper hostage into the world while he's banging his supposed friend's holier-than-thou wife? This whole situation is going to blow up in everyone's face - I just ope it does so in an interesting and not too cliche way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Desdemona, I think your Betty and Megan analysis is right on. The only thing I wanted to add is that during the entire "I want what you want" spiel, I kept thinking "there's the piece of crepe ad-man just selling what you want to hear, Megan." I feel bad for Megan.

And, your crucifix comment was excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:46 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I feel like Megan HAS to have a baby for her to be a complete 60s second wife. Well, I kiiind of thought maybe this season would begin with them already divorced from the way it ended last season, but now, I think BABY.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:47 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

emmalv wrote:
Desdemona, I think your Betty and Megan analysis is right on. The only thing I wanted to add is that during the entire "I want what you want" spiel, I kept thinking "there's the piece of crepe ad-man just selling what you want to hear, Megan." I feel bad for Megan.

That goes hand in hand with the Jersey Jaguar guy telling Pete that Don isn't a salesman.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 am 
Flounceiad 2011

IsaChandra wrote:
I feel like Megan HAS to have a baby for her to be a complete 60s second wife. Well, I kiiind of thought maybe this season would begin with them already divorced from the way it ended last season, but now, I think BABY.
I think so, too. It's the only way for her to get that important "promotion" from stepmom/babysitter to Real Second Wife. Remember when Creepy Glen heard that Betty was getting remarried and told Sally that pretty soon they'd have a new baby because "that's what they always do"? It didn't turn out to be true for Betty and Henry, but it probably will for Don and Megan - I'm betting the proverbial rabbit dies about 5 minutes before or after Don's affair with Mother Superior Lindsay gets rumbled.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:09 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Desdemona wrote:
I was bent out of shape at so many people hating on Betty when it was Don who was behaving like a crasshole for the entirety of their marriage.

Preach it! It seems that too often on shows with a complicated male protagonist, the audience is willing to forgive the male lead for his various (and myriad) flaws but holds the wife accountable to a different standard. Skyler from Breaking Bad also comes to mind. I will go to my grave defending Betty, even if I don't always like her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

Maybe Don will accidentally knock up Silvia. Also, I don't really hate Megan. I just don't really like her all that much. I found her a little annoying when she was trying her hand at the ad game, then I liked her for a bit when she decided to pursue acting, but now all of her actions seem so desperate...like she's desperate to do just about anything to keep Don around. Which makes sense, I guess, she can probably tell that he's drifting away. I think that I just find her character to be a little flat. Nothing like Betty, who I think Desdemona is absolutely right about. I always liked Betty too, even when I was kind of hating her. I find her to be fascinating.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

Well, I agree that Don treated her like trash, but Betty has been horrible to her children many times in the past which is why I've always had a bad taste about her...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

elouise wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
I was bent out of shape at so many people hating on Betty when it was Don who was behaving like a crasshole for the entirety of their marriage.

Preach it! It seems that too often on shows with a complicated male protagonist, the audience is willing to forgive the male lead for his various (and myriad) flaws but holds the wife accountable to a different standard. Skyler from Breaking Bad also comes to mind. I will go to my grave defending Betty, even if I don't always like her.

there's a problem with the writing, too, when the audience should be sympathetic to the wives but they aren't. in mad men, we've seen enough of don's forked up past where we can kind of understand where he's coming from, plus they write him to be charming as hell. betty and megan, not so much. they've gotten a little better on breaking bad, with skylar being funnier and more badass in the last season, because the writers seemed to be much more aware of this problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:19 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My husband is only about 1.5 seasons in, but he watched Sunday's episode with me tonight. I realized by watching through his eyes (I usually just soak it all up) that it was actually a pretty shitty episode. Did you guys notice that Jon Hamm directed it? Weird. It was just your average affairs episode, and while I feel like Trudy's boldness and Peggy's endearingly bisque-y bossiness were interesting, damned if I'm not sick of seeing Don and Pete fork up, and the whole Megan/whatsherface thing was really soap opera.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next