| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hyperbole and a half
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I saw the second post on facebook. The stuff she says is so spot on. It is next to impossible to explain what depression is like as an experience but she has sure done a great job.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:51 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

flavabean wrote:
I am always so amazed at how well she speaks on suicide, a subject that is ridiculously hard to put into sensible words. ALLIE, GET OUT OF MY HEAD (actually, don't, you're helping me process so much.)

I was amazed by the whole post. She described it all so well, and it seemed worse than what I've been through, so I was a bit surprised that she wanted to do a call for help with the suicide thing. When I was suicidal, I didn't tell anyone, because I didn't want help or to be talked out of it. I was planning it and that was going to be that. I'm so glad she's getting help. Meds helped me A LOT. Actually, I wanted to get on them so that they would give me more motivation to kill myself (kind of the opposite of most people), but instead, they made me not suicidal. Hell, if Allie can talk about that whole thing, so can I.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:27 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bastah wrote:
flavabean wrote:
I am always so amazed at how well she speaks on suicide, a subject that is ridiculously hard to put into sensible words. ALLIE, GET OUT OF MY HEAD (actually, don't, you're helping me process so much.)

I was amazed by the whole post. She described it all so well, and it seemed worse than what I've been through, so I was a bit surprised that she wanted to do a call for help with the suicide thing. When I was suicidal, I didn't tell anyone, because I didn't want help or to be talked out of it. I was planning it and that was going to be that. I'm so glad she's getting help. Meds helped me A LOT. Actually, I wanted to get on them so that they would give me more motivation to kill myself (kind of the opposite of most people), but instead, they made me not suicidal. Hell, if Allie can talk about that whole thing, so can I.

Good for you! Glad that the meds made you not want to kill yourself.

I only admitted that I was having suicidal thoughts because of a really good manager I had. She knew full well I'm never able to lie about important things so she asked me out right. I didn't have the energy to even try deny it. I just cried even more. That woman probably saved my life because I was incredibly close to acting on my thoughts.

For me the symptoms start a bit backwards. For me it starts with random thoughts about the act, I don't actually want to do it. Then as time progresses (or if something like not taking my meds or high levels of stress) these thoughts would be more in my head. It would gradually keep snowballing until that is all I could think about. As the thoughts get stronger and more frequent then my mood would start to spiral downwards. Then the thoughts would start consuming me. Last major episode I had it got to the extent where it was impossible to minimise the thoughts as "just thoughts" and I don't really know how to explain it well without freaking the crepe out of people but I would nearly carry out the thoughts just to escape the thoughts. Then to stop myself having that thought I would have the incredibly strong urge to seriously injure myself to distract myself with physical pain in the hope it would stop the other thoughts. Usually by this stage I'm so depressed that I spend most of my day lying on the sofa with my eyes shut afraid to move incase I would have the thoughts. In my last episode I was bullied into keeping on working by my immediate manager. Yep, I was that bad and still working. How flipping dangerous is that?!! I was so unwell that my clients knew full well that I was in a bad way but my immediate manager ignored it and actually made fun of me at times because I wouldn't smile. Great mental health professional she is! As soon as that other manager looked at me she said there was no way I was allowed to work and I was put on enforced sick leave.

Felt fairly therapeutic getting all that out!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:44 pm 
Chip Strong

Everything I can say has already been said. I love her too. I also found her explanation of depression and suicidal ideation so spot on.

I'm wondering if anyone has bought the book yet? It's on my wish list.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:39 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Just to say that there's a new post up, if you haven't seen it already: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk ... enace.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:30 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Imogen wrote:
Just to say that there's a new post up, if you haven't seen it already: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk ... enace.html
Awesome. I love her so much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:51 am 
Chip Strong

I dressed as a dinosaur once as a child. I have no memories from that time, only faded pictures...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:05 pm 
Chip Strong

Thanks for letting us know Imogen. This makes me wish I'd had a dinosaur costume as a child.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:08 pm 
Impressive boner

I have a dinosaur costume! I invincible when I wear it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

Mother Jones did a piece on Allie! http://www.motherjones.com/media/2013/1 ... depression

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:26 pm 
Chip Strong

Thank you for posting the link Mr. Shankly - I read it before bed last night.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:34 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Great interview with Terry Gross on NPR today.

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/12/244758140 ... -hyperbole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

I heard about 5 minutes of it in the car before I had to go teach, so thanks for the link so I can listen to the whole thing!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I picked up the book from my local bookshop today and it's so good! It's about half material from the blog and half new stuff.