| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dexter!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I thought this episode was kinda fun (well, the parts with Brian), but I'm glad they didn't stay going down that road. Dexter's appeal is that he's a good serial killer - if he were to just kill randomly, he wouldn't be a sympathetic character.

I was never really on board with the imaginary Gellar theme, so I'm glad it's been made clear that he's real.

I kinda wish they'd just kill Quinn off already. I'm so tired of him.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:30 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I haven't watched the last episode yet, but I was really starting to be convinced Gellar was imaginary. I'm kinda bummed that he's not.

Quinn is a douche but I like him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

i think we'll be seeing a lot more of brian, this whole season. dexter will continue his struggle between light and darkness and i think he'll go on more trips/benders like the one to nebraska, where he will be encouraged by brian to disregard the code and kill for the sake of killing. i also have a theory that the reason deb has been made lieutenant is because she'll find out about dexter and she'll have to make a decision about whether or not to do anything about it.

also, i totally laughed when dex and brian were on the boat and deb called and brian was like "ah, deb. the one that got away..."

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:59 pm 
Semen Strong

The American Gothic "tableau" was amazeballs <3 <3 <3 <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Geez, I must be the only person that didn't like this episode. I am, thus far, unimpressed with this season. I really hate the Brian character. Its like ok. We get it. Dexter struggles with with the "light and dark" I don't need a ghost chatting in his ear all episode.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I didn't like the episode either, studio. It felt like filler.

This season has been all over the place in terms of storylines. It's like they couldn't figure out how to make the DDK stuff compelling enough, so they brought back some rehashed stuff from previous seasons (Brian, Trinity) as a distraction. And then it was all wrapped up within one episode. What was the point of that?

I miss the days of Dexter's stalking and meticulous kills. Now he's throwing bodies overboard in daylight? Please!

takecare wrote:
i also have a theory that the reason deb has been made lieutenant is because she'll find out about dexter and she'll have to make a decision about whether or not to do anything about it.

The moment Deb finds out is like THE scene the whole series has been leading to. I don't think they'll go there until the very end of the show, but I agree that they seem to be building up to it. Slowly. And Jennifer Carpenter's bad acting will make it unsatisfying, no matter Deb's reaction.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tofulish wrote:
The American Gothic "tableau" was amazeballs <3 <3 <3 <3

totally!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ashley wrote:

takecare wrote:
i also have a theory that the reason deb has been made lieutenant is because she'll find out about dexter and she'll have to make a decision about whether or not to do anything about it.

The moment Deb finds out is like THE scene the whole series has been leading to. I don't think they'll go there until the very end of the show, but I agree that they seem to be building up to it. Slowly. And Jennifer Carpenter's bad acting will make it unsatisfying, no matter Deb's reaction.

I kind of think this is what's up, too, but I like Jennifer Carpenter. I'm not sayin' she's the best actress, ever, but I think think she does well in that part. She seems like a socially awkward chick who cusses too much and isn't sure what she's doing in life. As a socially awkward chick who cusses too much and who isn't sure what I'm doing in life, I think she nails it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:54 am 
ol' garly cooch

I just wanna know when Edward J. Olmos is going to teach Forrest Gump's son calculus. I want him to get into a good school.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Biney was really great. I thought quinn and deb were adorbs too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:15 pm 
Semen Strong

ashley wrote:
I miss the days of Dexter's stalking and meticulous kills. Now he's throwing bodies overboard in daylight? Please!

Totally. I don't even need the arc around another serial killer for the season - a few satisfying stalking and killings make the series for me more than the overly gory arch-nemesis. I liked the killing of the couple that were running illegals into Florida and exploiting them way more than I liked the whole story about Miguel Prado. It was simple and satisfying, and you'd understand why Dexter found it morally okay to kill them.

The only kill that has been like that this season is Dexter's HS friend's husband. The stalking was awesome, the guy's face in the kill room, all of it just worked so well. More like that please.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Also, I didn't mean THIS when I mentioned to my BF (just a couple episodes ago) that I missed the ice truck killer.

I guess I meant that the first season was by far the best one.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:50 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Why do people think that Gellar is non-imaginary? It still seems like he is imaginary. Maybe I missed something?

And yeah. Nebraska really is THAT fun!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i don't get why everyone thinks he IS imaginary. haven't we seen his pictures in several things, and the other professor lady said she worked for him and lived with him and slept with him...?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:14 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I think it's impossible to tell at this point because the writers are keeping it ambiguous on purpose. This seemed like an uber "he's imaginary" ep - the eye witness was blindfolded and was only able to say "there were two, I think" instead of a definite. Gellar only shows up at travis's sister's or whatever after the sister has left the room and they go on talking in private. He's yet to interact with his environment. So now the only reason I think he's real is because he's too obviously trying to be imaginary and it wouldn't be a good story if the whole audience figures it out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 pm 

bluedawg wrote:
i don't get why everyone thinks he IS imaginary. haven't we seen his pictures in several things, and the other professor lady said she worked for him and lived with him and slept with him...?

Well imaginary in the sense that he once existed and maybe dead. Like Harry.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:35 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Fee wrote:
I think it's impossible to tell at this point because the writers are keeping it ambiguous on purpose. This seemed like an uber "he's imaginary" ep - the eye witness was blindfolded and was only able to say "there were two, I think" instead of a definite. Gellar only shows up at travis's sister's or whatever after the sister has left the room and they go on talking in private. He's yet to interact with his environment. So now the only reason I think he's real is because he's too obviously trying to be imaginary and it wouldn't be a good story if the whole audience figures it out.

It had seemed meant to be kept ambiguous, but in terms of interacting with environment, this past episode showed Gellar tossing intestines around while Travis was elsewhere. How could an imaginary friend do that? That'd be pretty Drop Dead Fred-ish.

Plus, in the teaser for the next episode, Dexter tells himself:
Spoiler: show
"We both have dark passengers, but the difference with Travis is that his can be killed."

Last edited by degausser on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:37 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

bluedawg wrote:

Edit: What Fee said.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:59 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

degausser wrote:
Fee wrote:

It had seemed meant to be kept ambiguous, but in terms of interacting with environment, this past episode showed Gellar tossing intestines around while Travis was elsewhere. How could an imaginary friend do that? That'd be pretty Drop Dead Fred-ish.

"We both have dark passengers, but the difference with Travis is that his can be killed."

Ok but in every "it was really him"/imaginary thing, we see the imaginer seeing the imagined doing things. Fight Club and High Tension, for example. Also, Dexter can say that because he doesn't know that EJO is imaginary. I'm not saying he definitely doesn't exist, just saying it's not out of the question yet.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:16 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Fee wrote:
So now the only reason I think he's real is because he's too obviously trying to be imaginary and it wouldn't be a good story if the whole audience figures it out.

Honestly, i only recently started back up reading this thread and I didn't suspect a thing until then. I'm gullible, I guess :-) Now I want to go back and re-watch all the episodes with that in mind!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fee wrote:
bluedawg wrote:

Well imaginary in the sense that he once existed and maybe dead. Like Harry.

gotcha. i still can't decide. i want him to be real.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:51 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

IsaChandra wrote:
degausser wrote:
Fee wrote:

Ok but in every "it was really him"/imaginary thing, we see the imaginer seeing the imagined doing things. Fight Club and High Tension, for example. Also, Dexter can say that because he doesn't know that EJO is imaginary. I'm not saying he definitely doesn't exist, just saying it's not out of the question yet.

I'm with Isa. Actually, I had been reading this thread after each episode and I said to my husband 'so the PPK thinks that Gellar is imaginary, which is obviously a load of shiitake' and then after the last 2 episodes he was like 'nope, you know what - they cracked it, he's totally imaginary'. So I came in to post that alright, you guys convinced me and I see that now people think it's clear that he's real and I'm confused. I didn't see anything in the last episode to make me think that. In fact, his appearance in the garden at the sister's house seemed to start to make it clear that baby Hanks has Tyler Durdened the old guy.

Did anyone else find the gas station bonking scene weird? Maybe it just surprised me. Made me laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:53 pm 

IsaChandra wrote:
degausser wrote:
Fee wrote:

Also, Dexter does things with Brian like when he tossed Dexter that trashbag with a head in it (I guess it was a head, it looked like a head) and then he tossed it overboard. Or it was vice versa, I don't remember I just remember thinking they had made the imaginary character do that.

Edit: I meant more he doesn't interact with other humans. He hasn't interacted with anyone besides Travis. Which means he's either in hiding or imaginary.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:59 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

IsaChandra wrote:

The imaginer was at home with his sister when Gellar was fooling around with the intestines. It was during one of Dexter's voiceover wrap-ups when Travis was looking at a picture of he and Gellar. He could still be imaginary, but that'd be a weird cutaway to have included.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:01 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Fee wrote:
Also, Dexter does things with Brian like when he tossed Dexter that trashbag with a head in it (I guess it was a head, it looked like a head) and then he tossed it overboard.

Yeah, and Brian "grabbed" Dexter's face. There really aren't any rules to imagination/psychosis. I'd roll with it either way.

Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 38  Next