| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dexter!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ha!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Seriously. At the very least, dye your hair and wear sunglasses or something. Worst. Fugitive. Ever.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When she was sitting in the hospital waiting room I was wondering why she hadn't dyed her hair brown. Seriously. Or at least put on a pair of sunglasses. SOMETHING.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:26 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

rachell37 wrote:
Seriously. At the very least, dye your hair and wear sunglasses or something. Worst. Fugitive. Ever.

Even just put on a hat! Cover your hair. Really, who runs around on the lamb and doesn't do anything at all to disguise their appearance? Hannah is an idiot.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've been saying since the very first time we saw her that she should've AT LEAST dyed her hair. It would probably also be wise to not go out in super attention-catching tiny pink dresses.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:14 pm 
Semen Strong

You know for as long as I have watched Dexter, the whole premise has been this idea that Dexter's secret identity has to be found out at some point and that is going to bring his life crashing down around him. With only 2 episodes left in the season, its not looking like that part is going to be properly explored - with someone like Quinn or Battista going back over Doakes and LaGuera's notes and realizing that Dex is the Bay Harbor Butcher and coming to get him. The dramatic end should have been his colleagues and friends realizing that for all these years they have been working with a serial killer and not even known it, and perhaps having some justice for Doakes and LaGuerta. Could you imagine how much it would devastate Battista to know that LaGuerta was killed by someone he mentored?

But instead it looks like the dramatic end of the show is going to be "Is Dex going to choose to run with Hannah and live a normal life with the hot blonde poisoner who tried to murder his sister or is his need to kill The Brain Surgeon going to keep him from that." Which is more suited to the end of a season, than the whole show, especially given the theme through the whole show was about The Dark Passenger and Dex's secret identity being discovered.

Even if they add a little of it in the last two episodes, its not going to feel like a proper resolution of the tension that has built up through the show's whole arc. Dexter's secret serial killer life has been the big dramatic bomb waiting to go off, and it is a real shame that we're not going to see that explosion properly.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:50 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I don't really like where the end of the series seems to be headed. My assumption is that there's going to be some kind of showdown with Dexter and the federal agent, but like Tofulish said, I really don't think they plan on ending it with everyone discovering that he's a serial killer. If he ends up getting arrested for harboring a fugitive, I'm going to be really disappointed.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:01 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Maggie Muggins wrote:
If he ends up getting arrested for harboring a fugitive, I'm going to be really disappointed.

Yeah, that would be stupid. If the series ends without everyone finding out he's a killer - and who he really is, not just mistaking him for The Brain Surgeon or something - it'll be disappointing. I feel like it might end with him being found out but getting away, and starting over either with or without Hannah in Argentina. I can see the last scene being Dex and Harrison on a beach in Argentina at sunset or something.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:09 pm 
Semen Strong

The show has always had a Big Bad every season. I would have loved to have seen the last Big Bad be Dex as The Bay Harbor Butcher. And I think the last season set that up so well - LaGuerta was closing in on Dex and talking to Captain Matthews.

I would have liked to have seen Miami Metro investigate the death of one of their own and go carefully over the cases she was working on and look at her files and start to see (but not believe) that Dex is a serial killer, rather than just do a lazy - six month fast forward to the dedication of that bench. It would have been intriguing to see Dex go after a serial killer and make a small mistake that ends up unraveling his secret, even as he struggles to keep covering it up - those were the most suspenseful moments for me in other seasons - when Dex is so close to being caught but then manages to cover something up at the last minute. I liked the complicitness/corruption of Deb, and I wish she'd stayed on the force, just struggling between good and evil, instead of having this weird incident where she tries to kill Dex but ends up saving him and then suddenly they're even and all the pathos and conflict around what she did for him is gone. It would have been great to see her crack slowly and get roped into the case against Dex, especially with evidence against her like the photos of her buying gasoline at the church.

Basically, I would have liked to see Dex's house of cards implode taking his carefully crafted life with him, instead of having Hannah come back. I'd rather see the time spent on the betrayal of the real relationships that Dex has with Deb and the people he works with, instead of on this relationship with Hannah, which feels cobbled together by the writers. I thought last season did a great job with showing that Hannah and Dex can't ever really trust one another - the meal scene where he hesitates over eating the herbs and she hesitates when she sees him with the knives. I know we're supposed to believe that now they trust one another, but it hasn't been more than a few weeks since she poisoned Deb and left Dex at the side of the road, so yeah.

I don't see them arresting him - there isn't enough time left to tie up all the loose ends that the writers have strewn around (like Hannah), and I think that is another hallmark of sloppy writing. It would have been a much more interesting season with fewer throw-away characters and storylines - just a tight focus on Dex being caught as the BHB. I think Dex has to either die or escape. And I guess there will never be justice for LaGuerta - Deb has moved past her guilt and seems to be back where she was. The beauty of this show was that it was always heading towards an inevitable bad ending for Dex - echoed at Doakes's funeral - and now we're being cheated out of that.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:59 pm 
Semen Strong

I feel like the writers threw every interesting storyline they could think off at this season, instead of making it a tight trimmed down resolution of the whole story arc of the show. In retrospect a lot of it feels like a waste of precious time that could have been spent better.

1. Hannah McKay. Why did she come back and why can't she figure out how to use a disguise? Worst fugitive ever. Okay, we got to see Dex's butt but apart from that, this storyline isn't really compelling. Here is a cute slide show of possible disguises she could have used. http://www.paraddisso.com/2013/09/14-wa ... -have.html More about why Hannah sucks: http://www.paraddisso.com/2013/09/dexte ... miami.html

2. Dr. Vogel - the monster maker mother. It was so interesting to read about how she helped develop the Code. I wish we'd learned more about Dex's history as a young serial killer and heard more about Harry's conflicts in trying to deal with his burgeoning kittykilling psychopath. And she was so shady, it seemed like she had some more sinister motive for getting back in contact with Dexter, but then that fizzled and all the creepy family images were for nothing.

3. Zach - the possible trainee serial killer. The last episode with Zach was so funny and light, and I wish we'd had more of that and seen more of Dex trying to train Zach and point out Zach's bungling errors (Don't ever call me Dude! Leaving a body in a hot car in Florida is not a back-up plan!). I think it was such a waste to have Zach skulk around on the maid killing case for so long and only bring the funny in the very last episode before he died.

4. Deb Goes Dark-side (Elway): It was interesting watching Deb go crazy and have too much unsafe sexytimes with people, and they made us feel like there was something not right about Elway. But then Deb tried to kill Dex but ended up saving him and all was right with the world again. And the whole subplot of Deb realizing that she is in love with Dex got dropped - but I am not complaining about that because it was creepy. And Elway? What was the point of Elway? And now Quinn and Deb are reunited and blah.

5. The Brain Surgeon -I really liked the idea of another serial killer hunting down other serial killers. But then it went to the predictable "Mummy why won't you ever choose me?" and I still don't get why Saxon killed Cassie or why Saxon surfaced now. And I don't really care.

6. Matsuka gets a daughter. And no one cares.

7. Hey LaGuerta died! And no one cares. Matthews is covering up for Zach's family! And no one cares why. Why does no one ever care what Dex does during the day? How can Jamie be in school when she is pretty much only ever watching Harrison because his Dad is never home?

I just really think this season could have been spectacular and instead its such a jumbled mess. And with 2 episodes left, I don't think its going to be salvageable. No matter what they do, this season is just a weird mishmosh of barely coherent plot lines that are left to die without any real analysis.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:55 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Well, I guess the problem is that this show sucks and the writers suck AND hate us.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 pm 
Semen Strong

But it used to be so good! There is no shortage of terrible shows, with terrible writers who write down to an audience that they must think are idiots, but Dexter used to be so clever and well done (with a few notable groaners like the airport kill room). They did a good job at the end of last season setting up the end with the net closing in around Dex and then the continuity fairy went bonkers and went to the island of lost storylines and brought home a bunch of them to populate the last season.

I'm still going to watch it with bated breath, I just wish it could be different.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:17 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish, such a thorough take down.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:32 am 

Tofulish wrote:
I'm still going to watch it

Well, yeah, me too!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:19 pm 

Why did Dexter leave that Voltaggio brother alive!?!?!?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:38 pm 
Semen Strong

And why did leaving his knives next to him seem like a good idea?

I actually thought the episode was pretty good. At least there was some suspense about what was going to happen with Saxon (thought I still don't get how he has so many kill styles - when he was talking about keeping a girl chained to his radiator for 2 weeks, that was so out of sync with either the "Brain Surgeon" or the way Cassie was killed which seems to have been quick). I did like Dex and Saxon talking about how Miami was a great town because of the low rate of solved murders - HA!!!

Sure Harrison has no stitches or anything left from the treadmill accident and Hannah still hasn't figured out that she needs a wig, sunglasses, a beard or something to disguise herself, but it was nice seeing Dex connect with the people he worked with, and with Deb ("Lets have steaks, because next time we meet its going to be tacos and tequila, or whatever the fork they eat there." "Um pretty sure its steaks and wine, because its not Mexico.") It really felt like he was human and had real feelings. It was also nice seeing him say good bye to his Dad because he no longer needs Harry to guide him, because he's lost his taste for killing and has become a real boy who knows that killing is wrong. It was funny seeing him try and sell the Slice of Life - "Well maybe she's not the boat for you." And it was nice to hear about Astor and Cody, as a throw back to earlier seasons. Its kind of amazing to realize that Astor is now driving. It was so nice to see Dexter as human,that it was almost possible to overlook him rifling through Dr Vogel's stuff without gloves, leaving fingerprints on everything (forensics much?), deleting files so they became untraceable and magically finding Saxon's laptop with all his kill videos on it, not even password protected or encrypted. Seriously? I also don't see any chemistry between Dex and Hannah, though I liked the line where Deb is saying Hannah should go on a cooking competition because she would win, and Hannah looks up and says "I would make sure I'd win." Its nice to see the monster lurking just under the surface - otherwise Hannah seems to have morphed into a clingy bore, waiting for her man to whisk her away. Watching her makes me miss Rita. I am kind of hoping that this whole season has been an evil revenge plot by Hannah, who is going to murder Dex and Harrison, while everyone thinks they ran away to Argentina together and no one looks for them. But that is probably too dark for the writers.

I also thought the suspense at the end with Deb getting shot was amazing, and it sucked that the previews that rolled up right afterwards
Spoiler: show
showed her alive.
It would have been a great cliffhanger to wait for next week to see if she made it or not.

I am so looking forward to the end. I really wish they could have done a full season uncovering Dexter as the Bay Harbor Butcher and had Deb get her comeuppance and justice for Doakes and LaGuerta, but even if we don't get that. I am hoping for a bloody, bloody tragic end to Dexter, because there is no way he ends up on a beach living his happily ever after, even though the writers have been teasing us with it all season. I am pretty sure Hannah will get killed by Saxon, turning Dex back into a killer, and then Dex will kill Saxon and end up getting shot by Miami Metro. Deb will take Harrison and they'll live happily ever after with Quinn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm gonna be really annoyed if the last episode is just a bunch of people running around the airport trying to catch/avoid each other.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Dexter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:50 am 
Semen Strong

rachell37 wrote:
I'm gonna be really annoyed if the last episode is just a bunch of people running around the airport trying to catch/avoid each other.

Now I am imagining a long Benny Hill-style chase scene complete with music. And its better than some of the episodes so far. Someone needs to make a mash-up!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That is exactly what I had in my head, down to Yakety Sax playing in the background.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:52 pm 
***LIES!!!***

rachell37 wrote:

That's what it's going to be, plus Dexter killing Saxon in the airport on his way to catch the flight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Well, we've already established that somehow Dexter can set up an airport killroom! Ahh Season 7.

I read a hilarious comment about the redemption of Dexter. After 8 years of being a psychopath with a compulsion to kill, struggling to fit into normal society, really all he needed was Twu Wuv. Because Dexter is a Disney Princess. So remember folks, if we all clap hard enough, Deb will live!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I feel like the preview for next week looked suspenseful, but I know it will be a let down. Like Tofulish said after last week, it's so disappointing that the whole "dark passenger" tension has been dropped. It could have made for such a climactic finale.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I know we've established how unreasonable some of the details are lately, but...

Why can Hannah can't go first? Couldn't she leave and Dexter could wrap up loose ends and join her later? And no disguise at the airport is crazy.

I thought the dialogue was painfully bad in the part when he says farewell to dad.
Now that sounds like the old Dexter...
Now it's personal...it's been personal for a long time.

Uggg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Butternut wrote:
I know we've established how unreasonable some of the details are lately, but...

Why can Hannah can't go first? Couldn't she leave and Dexter could wrap up loose ends and join her later? And no disguise at the airport is crazy.

Because according to their logic, they won't suspect her if she's traveling with her husband and son. Even if she looks exactly the same.

Tofulish wrote:
So remember folks, if we all clap hard enough, Deb will live!

Nobody clap!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Last Dexter episode ever!

I kind of wish that the last episode could be Dex dodging the storm, the Marshalls, and everything else, finally escaping to Argentina only to have Hannah kill him and Harrison once he's there. Because its her nature, and she couldn't change hers even though Dex changed his. But I think that would be too dark for this show. Because the whole thing has been Dex struggling for redemption through love, and it would be silly for that arc to end with Dex dying because of love.

Also (I don't think this is a spoiler but don't want to risk it)
Spoiler: show
it sounds like there is still talk of doing a spin-off, and I wonder what that would look like. http://screencrush.com/dexter-final-sea ... id-nevins/

Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next