| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sense8 on Netflix (full season 1 spoilers!)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:00 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So? Who watched this? I want to talk about it! First three episodes were a slow burn, but once I got to know the characters, I was hooked. And the sex scenes are intense! I blushed even when no one was home, haha. I'm looking forward to another season. I also welcome Naveen Andrews in another creepy sci-fi show.

Post subject: Re: Sense8 on Netflix (full season 1 spoilers!)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:03 am 
WRETCHED

Well good to see you liked it. We watched the first episode and I was like 'sooo boring, we'll come back'. Honestly, Naveen Andrews is the only reason I want to watch it so it is good to know that it gets better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:41 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

linanil wrote:
Well good to see you liked it. We watched the first episode and I was like 'sooo boring, we'll come back'. Honestly, Naveen Andrews is the only reason I want to watch it so it is good to know that it gets better.

Most of the review sites received the first three episodes as a preview, but in my opinion it gets much better after that. A shame because most of the sites gave it negative reviews based on these first three. They are movie-makers, so I think they were relying on a slow burn up through the season - like along movie. Thing is, though, with TV folks need to get hooked. I just happened to power through and it got more interesting once it got past its awkward phase.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:31 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I love this show! After the orgy scene the show really picks up and it is so damn good! It's gonna be a long wait for the next season but I'm looking forward to see where they go with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:38 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

pickledtreats wrote:
So? Who watched this? I want to talk about it! First three episodes were a slow burn, but once I got to know the characters, I was hooked. And the sex scenes are intense! I blushed even when no one was home, haha. I'm looking forward to another season. I also welcome Naveen Andrews in another creepy sci-fi show.

I'm watching this right now, so I am not reading past the first post, but I look forward to it!

So good! It did start out a bit slow and confusing, which I guess maybe was supposed to mirror the experiences of the Sensates or something but buuuuh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:41 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I liked it, even the slow beginning and I'm looking forward to next season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:20 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I felt like it was slow/boring too, except that the variety of scenery and cultures is so good I don't care about the story. And the show knows it. Sometimes they sacrifice story just to throw out some worldwide culture stories/visuals and I love it. I could watch the show on mute.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:53 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I'll watch anything that was filmed somewhere familiar because I love recognizing places I've been on film (maybe I should start a blog about that), so I thoroughly enjoyed seeing San Francisco in the show, even if it was pretty narrowly confined to a few blocks of the Mission district, and even if Amanita's sprawling loft apartment was ludicrously unrealistic (we're talking Friends-level of unattainable housing here).

What I really liked about the show, and obviously Lana Wachowski is a contributing factor to this, is the fact that Nomi's gender identity is a crucial part of her character, but is not the reason for her character. Likewise with both Nomi's and Lito's sexuality- while the series doesn't shy away from compassionately addressing situations or dilemmas unique to trans or queer folks, it also doesn't make the show all about the trans or queer person's transness or queerness, and both Nomi and Lito are fleshed out as fully three-dimensional characters. It's goddamn refreshing, I'll tell you what.

That said, I'm straight and cis so I'd be interested to know other perspectives on this.

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:57 am 
WRETCHED

We are definitely slow to watch. We watched episode 2 (2 months after watching the first episode) and yes still slow. My husband summed it up by saying they could've spent 15 minutes saying 'hey they are all linked, they see each other in the mirror' or whatever. I do home it gets better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:16 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I really loved it and we watched the whole season in a day and a half. I liked the slow start - they took their time establishing the nuances of the connection and really introducing you to each character.

To those who are still near the beginning, things do pick up - especially because they can really start utilizing each other's abilities. And it is funny too! Almost all of Lito's scenes were funny in some way.

A friend commented to me that he thought the use of Nomi's character was pushing an agenda and making the show into an "issue" show - and I basically had the same comment as Erika. Nomi's gender and her back story is a main part of her character but not her only dimension.

I can't wait for the next season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:04 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Moon wrote:
I really loved it and we watched the whole season in a day and a half. I liked the slow start - they took their time establishing the nuances of the connection and really introducing you to each character.

To those who are still near the beginning, things do pick up - especially because they can really start utilizing each other's abilities. And it is funny too! Almost all of Lito's scenes were funny in some way.

A friend commented to me that he thought the use of Nomi's character was pushing an agenda and making the show into an "issue" show - and I basically had the same comment as Erika. Nomi's gender and her back story is a main part of her character but not her only dimension.

I can't wait for the next season.

It is definitely not an issue show, but the issues they put in were done excellently and are important. It is very refreshing.

Also, since we are spoilers now, I look forward to seeing how the smarts of the sensates figure out how to break the link with Whispers, because he can't be tranq'ed forever!

Also, dammit Kala, Rajan is a great guy! Don't fall for the bad boy even with a brain link!