Do you like Windows 8?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Meh 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
No 82%  82%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: Tell me about Windows 8
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:17 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm probably going to pollute my beautiful new mac by bootcamping Windows, mostly just to do it, but also because I'd like to play Tropico 4 and need to run some GIS software.

I already have Vista and Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit, but can probably get Windows 8 super cheap (under $50 cheap) from school. I'm just not sure I want to.

I really sort of hate Windows anymore, but that could be the residual effects of having been a Windows Millenium beta tester. I never quite recovered from that experience; BSoD is permanently embedded in part of my eyeball.

Is Windows 8 fun/worth learning/otherwise interesting or entertaining?

(fun nerd fact: I went to the midnight windows 95 launch party at micro center. I didn't have a cd rom on the computer I built for myself (those suckers were still pretty expensive!!), so I had the version that came on 30 floppy disks. After I installed it, I rendered the computer unbootable trying to hex edit the Start menu to say my name instead of "start" so I had to reinstall off 30 floppy disks again (got the edit right the second time). Fun times!)

Post subject: Re: Tell me about Windows 8
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have it, my computer crashed last fall, I couldn't find my recover disk and so I installed the windows 8 consumer preview, then upgraded for thirty bucks to the actual thing over Christmas. I selected "meh" because I find it much better that Vista, but I like Windows 7 better. It runs as smoothly as it can on my computer which is dying a slow slow death, but what I dislike is having some really essential stuff seperated as apps instead of on the classical Windows desktop mode. Like Adobe Reader as an app can only allow me to have one pdf open at a time, which sucks when I'm playing Vampire the Masquerade and want the rulebook pdf open and my character sheet open at the same time. So I had to download Adobe Reader onto desktop mode, so I have to have two version of AR, if this makes sense. Skype is also a pain in the asparagus because if I'm talking to someone on video, I can't see them if I want to do something on my desktop while I'm talking to them, it won't have that corner window. So I'm going to have to install Skype again on the desktop. The Start menu gets very cluttered very quickly so often I have to just "search" for files instead of knowing exactly where they are. I get the point is making it more like how smartphones and tablets function but I think Ubuntu is doing a better job at it design wise than Windows is. I'd switch back to Ubuntu but a lot of games I love still aren't linux compatable.

Also your story reminds me of how spoiled kids are today. Floppy disks! Our school computers as of 1999 still didn't have CD drives. I remember being sad because I had King's Quest 7 on CD, it was my first game on CD, but I was really stumped and wanted to bring it to school so my classmates could help me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:11 am 
WRETCHED

I bootcamped mine and with a choice of Windows 7 vs Windows 8, I went with Windows 7. I'm not a fan of Windows but it will do.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:42 am 
WELFARIST!

Everything Shy Mox said+ the fact that I hate the hovering commands. I had to turn the app one off but the right side bar can't be turned off (to my knowledge anyway) and if you hover anywhere near the side of the screen it comes up and you could accidentally click on something that you don't want to. Before I turned the one for apps off I would hover too closely near something or move my mouse too slowly/quickly and it would keep flipping through screens. My computer is brand new and it takes programs forever to load. I really, really hate the fact that it's essentially taken multitasking away from you. If you want to hover/flip through a bunch of full screen app type programs then have fun but I like having all of my windows up and being able to have them whatever size I want and not have to flip through a bunch of nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah. Win8 is aimed at touchscreens, and is very weird with a mouse.

I think it'll be more tolerable after the 8.1 update coming this summer, but it's still quite annoying. I'd stick with Windows 7 until you have something that needs specific Windows 8 stuff. (Which will probably be games: DirectX 11 or 12 or whatever.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks. The multitasking sounds awful. I always have a million PDFs open when I'm working on school stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:24 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Windows 8 is awesome if you have a touchscreen.

Otherwise, not so much

Source: my partner is an applications manager/systems analyst at work and they have windows 8. I have played with it on touchscreen and it is pretty fun! Not fun on regular interface.