All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E3?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

Is anyone else watching?

Post subject: Re: E3?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:29 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I am not, however I am reading about E3 and the new Mac Pro.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm sorta paying attention. Mostly it's console stuff, and I find it hard to care any more. Battlefield 4, yawn. Xbox One has all kinds of dumb restrictions but I haven't turned on my 360 in a while...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:50 pm 
WRETCHED

I read a few articles, does that count?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, that sounds like pretty major investment in E3, considering the general levels of apathy that seem to have developed. E3 is dull; new consoles are more of the same but exaggerated; there are some games coming out that are more or less like old game but require a new console or video card or version of Windows to play; ho hum.

World of Tanks is coming out for the Xbox 360, a free download. Not terribly exciting there either. At least PC and console players won't end up playing in the same games together, which would be an unspeakable nightmare. I'm probably not going to bother firing up the 360 for long enough to download it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:44 pm 
A Bad Person

I am! Except I'm not watching much, but I'm reading a lot of articles and followed the liveblogs from the Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA, and Sony conferences. I'm officially onboard with the PS4. Sony really crushed Microsoft on the points that matter to enthusiasts and regular people: it's not featuring some really complicated DRM, and it's cheaper by a wide margin. Treating both systems as more of less technological equals, the PS4 appears as a clearly better choice.

It doesn't sound like there's much to get excited about with Nintendo this year. All the cool stuff, like a new Super Smash Bros, isn't coming out until 2014. No new Metroid. I got to play with a Wii U last weekend, and it was fun, but I need those Nintendo exclusives. I've got every other system for the cross-platform stuff.

I'm also mad-not-actually-but-kind-of that I have to wait until 2014 to play Destiny. I'm already hyped enough for that game!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:00 am 
WELFARIST!

I've been watching on and off and mostly reading about it and I've been largely underwhelmed. The PS4 is definitely winning the console wars in my eyes- the Xbox One seems like a nightmare. Oh, and the Wii U? The Wii what? But back to Ps4 vs Xbox One- the Ps4 is going to be cheaper for people all around. Not even factoring in the initial cost, not having to pay for a monthly subscription (Xbox Live)+being able to play used games or trade with friends= a lot less money spent over time.

Also, I have a feeling they're phasing out the Wii U basic set because I've seen it disappearing from stores but have seen the addition of Wii U deluxe bundles being added (they are packaged with an additional game on top of Nintendoland). My friend thinks the Wii U is about to explode with awesomeness but I don't really get how she sees that. It has the least amount of extra features of any other console so unless you really want to play certain Nintendo games, there's not much to say about it. One kind of cool thing that I read they were trying to do was to create games that allow the Wii U controller to act as a personal handheld console that you can play in another room and then come in and hook it up to the actual console and play where you left off. You can do that already with the PS Vita, though, so again it's pretty much just coming down to the games.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am 
A Bad Person

Wii U basics might be getting recalled. Nintendo is being coy about it but Gamestop and Best Buy are sending theirs back. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420156,00.asp

I had a huge thing typed up about how I feel about the Xbox One, but I can probably just boil it down to not trusting Microsoft to deliver on what they say they're going to deliver. At best, they can deliver on a console based on digital distribution that has some game sharing functionality and neat TV stuff (I really don't care about their TV/DVR functions) for people with unlimited bandwidth and constant internet connections, but it butchers the used game market. What I think they're going to give us is a console that locks many of its best features behind an Xbox Live subscription, a digital marketplace with awful prices (RE: Xbox Live Marketplace), a retail strategy that funnels consumers into said awful digital marketplace, limited or no sharing of games, and more butchery of the used game market. I'm not onboard with a digital distribution console but I can see where that would be one possible future. I don't think Microsoft is going to deliver that console.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I got annoyed with the 360 when the ads for utterly irrelevant garbage started being larger on the dashboard screen than the actual games I was trying to play.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:03 pm 
Chip Strong

The PS4 seems alright and it would nice to finally play Heavy Rain. And don't they let you play online and watch Netflix through their box without having a premium sub? That really annoys me with X-Box - especially the Netflix thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm still mad at Sony for their old draconian drm. They used to do crepe like have music CDs install rootkits on your computer and block CDs from playing in slot load drives.

I bought a Madonna maxi that was on Sony because of Missy Elliott and it would play in my slot load, so I had to go download a pirate copy to play the cd I had just bought.

I'm kind of surprised they learned their lesson though. The Xbox stuff sounds pretty grim and awful though; I hope the gaming community revolts on that big time.

We had a success of sorts in the Civ III conquests beta. Atari wanted all kinds of activation crepe, but they never got it to work properly and in the end gave in to our pleas (Breakaway, the developers never wanted the DRM either).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:53 pm 
A Bad Person

Imitation Of Chris wrote:
The PS4 seems alright and it would nice to finally play Heavy Rain. And don't they let you play online and watch Netflix through their box without having a premium sub? That really annoys me with X-Box - especially the Netflix thing.

On the PS3, you need a PSN account, but not a PS+ subscription. So when PSN is down, so is Netflix, but PSN is free.

I've only had my PS3 since November and it's really changed my opinion of the console. I have a friend who's a self-admitted Sony fangirl who bought a PS3 at launch and PS+ from day 1, and I used to give her so much crepe about it. And rightfully so! The PS3 was overpriced at launch, and PS+ offered little more than discounts and demos on day 1. But it's really kind of great now. The UI isn't clogged full of ads like the Xbox 360 dashboard. There's one page of "what's new on PSN", set as the default page on startup but I think that's optional. No ads anywhere else. PS+ instant game collection is forking awesome. I have more free games than I have time to play, and they're not crepe games. They're mostly 1 year old stuff and first-party, but they're the good ones. They just added X-Com and Uncharted 3 on Tuesday. Some games stick around for months, and some just one month, but if you "buy" it, it's yours for as long as you keep up a PS+ account.

Microsoft testing the waters with free games comes waaaay too little, too late. Fable 3 isn't even the best Fable. Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 are both rather old games. And it doesn't do anything about all the goddamned ads all over the interface. They've successfully buried XBLA, one of my favorite parts of the Xbox 360, behind a bajillion ads. Are we even getting a Summer of Arcade this year? It's gone down in quality a bit over the years, but some of the best games, like Bastion and Shadow Complex, were Summer of Arcade titles.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:57 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

a) Fez 2!
b) I think Apple will take over casual console gaming pretty soon. there are some pretty big (but subtle) announcements at WWDC that shout that's a clear direction they're heading

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:58 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

joshua wrote:
a) Fez 2!
b) I think Apple will take over casual console gaming pretty soon. there are some pretty big (but subtle) announcements at WWDC that shout that's a clear direction they're heading

I think you are onto something. The new Mac Pro isa appears to be geared toward exactly this endeavor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:01 pm 

oh no, certainly not the Mac Pro. a $5000+ gaming rig is not for the casual gamer ;)

I'm not sure what's public vs what's NDA'd, but in very short summary:
- http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/i ... sp?c=51543
- AirPlay

boom.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:09 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

joshua wrote:
oh no, certainly not the Mac Pro. a $5000+ gaming rig is not for the casual gamer ;)

I'm not sure what's public vs what's NDA'd, but in very short summary:
- http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/i ... sp?c=51543
- AirPlay

boom.

You know that Apple will release an entertainment version that incorporates the Mac Pro with Apple TV and all the other user friendly interfaces. While the Pro as presented is exactly that, the design used is going to be used in a mini version or iteration thereof.

This was a rumor that Apple was moving toward gaming was going on in the nineties. But so many wrong moves left them for wanting the return of Job's. Those mistakes, missteps, and miscues were not lost. Gaming is a huge market for them to dominate. After all, with as small as their overall market share is with mobile devices, they still account for a majority of paid App sales.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:25 pm 

the Mac Pro really doesn't have a place in any of this. but yes, they'll release a new Apple TV and go from there. but they won't using that as the console - they'll be using the phone as the console.

as for the difference between the 90s and now, it's an entirely different landscape. Apple *has* big titles on iOS (and more on OSX, but that's incidental). OpenGL is still a huge pain in the arse though, so a lot of studios will keep going with DirectX for desktop gaming. but for mobile gaming, GL (and abstraction toolkits) level the playing field, so that'll continue to be their focus imo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:27 pm 
WRETCHED

I read an article that said the MS representative in response to the question as to what to do for gamers without daily Internet access, their answer was that those gamers can go with an Xbox 360. Does seem as if they are shooting themselves in the foot.

It would be interesting to see an Apple console, I bet they could kick butt.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:27 pm 
A Bad Person

joshua wrote:
a) Fez 2!

yeah, hey! Fez 2! I sincerely hope Polytron hasn't teamed up with Microsoft for it again. I'm mildly excited for it, even though I've barely played Fez. I got it on GOG.com as soon as it came out, but it was a little buggy so I've kind of put it on hold to shake out the bugs.

I am very excited for The Witcher 3, but that's a PC game. The Witcher 2 definitely felt good on Xbox 360, but it really got first-class post-release support on PC.

I found a Summer of Arcade announcement! http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/12/442375 ... rcade-2013 I'm into Starbreeze Studios, and Flashback.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:33 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

That OpenGL is one of those things that Apple wants to force.

While I do not think that the Mac Pro is the solution in and of itself, the innovation of the design will be to inspire a product that brings gaming to a television. The titles may be incidental but the profit is in the incorporation. It extends their brand and lines their pockets.

It will be interesting, but I that Mac Pro is going to be a popular machine even if it is ridiculously priced.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'll hop back into the conversation when I get home from work tonight but this was posted a few minutes ago and I thought that was kind of funny. The Surest Sign Yet That Apple TV Will Be a Gaming Console

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:17 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I thought about watching, but in the end I decided to wait until E4 comes out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:21 pm 
A Bad Person

Ah yes, the Electronics Entertainment Expo Expo, wherein we get a glimpse at the future of E3.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:20 pm 
WRETCHED

I think a lot of people thought that Apple was going to get rid of the Mac Pro so I'm sure a ton of people are excited as there hasn't been a major update in eons. I think though that it's audience is the sterotypical mac pro audience (those that use it as a work horse) and then a smaller percentage that will want it for the cool look factor and possibly try to dual boot with it. Unless they lose money on it, I can't see it having a large audience. People splurge on laptops because they are portable, splurging on a desktop is somewhat silly unless your work demands it.

I'm strictly a laptop girl so it isn't my cup of tea but an Apple console could be.