| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First gig/bands you went to see
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:49 pm 
Mediocre Tart

So, I dunno, I've been in a funny reminiscing mood tonight and I was thinking about my first gigs i went to. And I was wondering about everyone else's firsts in that respect? I would like to know!

My first proper gig (I don't really count the random Edinburgh New Year... things with those shitty bands and that dude from Ash puking all over the stage) was

Pulp

Supported by Edwyn Collins

And Denim

How about it? What was your first gig? Tell me!!

Post subject: Re: First gig/bands you went to see
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

my first ever concert was Oingo Boingo!
It was fun!

When I was little, we lived just a few block from the biggest music venue in town, and whenever there was a really loud rock concert, I could open my bedroom window and hear it. I remember listening to the Devo concert like that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 pm 
Dead by dawn

My mom took me to see John Denver when I was 6. He was my first love and my first concert. I fell asleep.

The first one I went to with friends had to have been Depeche Mode. I saw them and the Cure in the summer of 1986. I want to say the opener for DM was called Book of Love or something like that. No opening band for the Cure, but some dude on the floor did try to stab himself because (as a note he left in his truck revealed) some girl named Andrea had spurned him. Good times.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:02 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Devo!

I live next to a massive stadium so I got to listen to blimmin' Jon By Jovi t'other night through the windaes. WORST!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Mine was Feeder supported by Subcircus and Cay at the East Wing of the Brighton Centre.

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:19 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

if i'm being totally honest, the first band i ever saw anywhere was color me badd at an amusement park when i was 13. but i was there for the amusement park, not the concert. if we start with things that actually count, i saw pearl jam a few times in bigger places when i was 15, and lush and weezer at another amusement park (on purpose that time), and then the jesus and mary chain and mazzy star in my first proper smoky steamy club show, four days after my sixteenth birthday (i remember, because my friend and i got our learner's permits that day).

we met ash once, when they opened for babes in toyland (totally weird pairing). they didn't puke on us or even seem like they might, but the first act that night was some horrible band called dumpster juice, and they'd probably have hurled on us if they'd had a chance.

eta: i forgot lotion and the dambuilders! they were at some outdoor waterfront club in providence, somewhere between weezer and j & m. my friend decided she was in love with the lead singer of lotion and she grabbed his can of iced tea off the stage after they'd left, but then she got all weird and wouldn't drink it.

Last edited by acr on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I saw John Denver and Elton John in the seventies. I also saw The Beach Boys in 1978 (Journey opened for them, an unknown band at the time--to think, I might have heard "Open Arms" and that "one day love will find you..." song and whatever other selections from their oeuvre before they got tons of radio play).

I can't remember which concert came first but I believe it was the Beach Boys of the ones I named. JD and EJ might have been 1979.

Just to note, I would have been ten years old at the Beach Boys concert. My older brother and sister often took me to concerts when I was a young'un. They were the best babysitters EVAH!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:26 pm 
Mediocre Tart

jojo wrote:
Mine was Feeder supported by Subcircus and Cay at the East Wing of the Brighton Centre.

Subcircus!!! I forking loved Subcircus!!! "Don't 86 meeeeee." Never ever ever understood how Feeder got famous. Never ever.

ETA: Ahhh! They made a video, I didn't even know! I guess it never appeared on the ITV Chart Show or TFI Friday or whatevers.

Last edited by interrobang?! on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:36 pm 
Chard Martyr

I don't really remember any concerts when I was a little kid, but my first show was some super punk band whose name I don't even remember when I was 15. I made a punk friend in high school and she took me! It was pretty cool. It was at Soma in San Diego. That place was super grimy, but I went to a million shows there after that. I've still never been to a huge stadium concert with a super famous band, except I saw Flight of the Conchords at Radio City Music Hall. That was pretty huge.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

monkeytoes wrote:
My mom took me to see John Denver when I was 6. He was my first love and my first concert. I fell asleep.

We could have seen the same show on the same concert tour! I know we live in different cities; I saw him in Toronto. He was amazing. Heart-swelling, if you know what I mean when music is so affecting it just sort of fills you completely. When I think of that line "You fill up my senses..." what I remember about that concert was that he filled up my senses. I imagine he filled up the senses of everyone in Maple Leaf Gardens, where he played.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:46 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Bob Dylan at the Boston Garden, spring 1979. I was still in middle school and had to go with a friend and her mom (!), but it was still a big thrill. Soon after I started sneaking into punk shows at local venues, and then I turned into a hippie and chased the Grateful Dead around for a few years before getting knocked up and settling down (for awhile). Good times!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:48 pm 
Dead by dawn

seitanicverses wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

We could have seen the same show on the same concert tour! I know we live in different cities; I saw him in Toronto. He was amazing. Heart-swelling, if you know what I mean when music is so affecting it just sort of fills you completely. When I think of that line "You fill up my senses..." what I remember about that concert was that he filled up my senses. I imagine he filled up the senses of everyone in Maple Leaf Gardens, where he played.

Vancouver, 1976

Now I am going to have Annie's Song in my head for the rest of the day. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I went to one of the Sailor Moon Musicals when I eleven. And a couple times after that.

The first proper concert I went to was Sun Yanzi.

Sun Yanzi - Dǒngshì (Sensible)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:15 pm 
Mediocre Tart

acr wrote:
if i'm being totally honest, the first band i ever saw anywhere was color me badd at an amusement park when i was 13. but i was there for the amusement park, not the concert. if we start with things that actually count, i saw pearl jam a few times in bigger places when i was 15, and lush and weezer at another amusement park (on purpose that time), and then the jesus and mary chain and mazzy star in my first proper smoky steamy club show, four days after my sixteenth birthday (i remember, because my friend and i got our learner's permits that day).

we met ash once, when they opened for babes in toyland (totally weird pairing). they didn't puke on us or even seem like they might, but the first act that night was some horrible band called dumpster juice, and they'd probably have hurled on us if they'd had a chance.

eta: i forgot lotion and the dambuilders! they were at some outdoor waterfront club in providence, somewhere between weezer and j & m. my friend decided she was in love with the lead singer of lotion and she grabbed his can of iced tea off the stage after they'd left, but then she got all weird and wouldn't drink it.

Lush! Mary Chain! Mazzy Star! Dumpster Juice!

acr wins. even after minus points for Bin Juice Weirdies.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Sleater-Kinney. Quasi opened.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 pm 
Mediocre Tart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:25 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Amajorrecords wrote:

shiitake. Ok, you win instead. Sorry, acr- no one can compete with this. Not even Bin Sick Slosh.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:29 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Smashing Pumpkins, in 1996. It was the last show before their tour keyboardist overdosed, and I went to summer camp right afterwards. I remember getting the news passed to me by one of the college aged counselors who knew I liked them too. It's weird to think about because these days I would have heard about that on like, Facebook.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:31 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

interrobang?! wrote:
Amajorrecords wrote:

shiitake. Ok, you win instead. Sorry, acr- no one can compete with this. Not even Bin Sick Slosh.

Woo hoo!

I just think I was pretty damn lucky to be a teenager in the Seattle area in the late 90's. Such good music! I was able to get involved with booking and promoting shows at a very young age also. So so lucky!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:46 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

interrobang?! wrote:
Amajorrecords wrote:

aw, come on! i've seen both of those bands. i'm just too damn old for them to have been my firsts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I saw Hey Rosetta at my campus bar way before they made it big, my first "proper" concert was Alice Cooper.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:50 pm 
Mediocre Tart

acr wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
Amajorrecords wrote:

aw, come on! i've seen both of those bands. i'm just too damn old for them to have been my firsts.

Fine. *special mention and a badge*

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:58 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I saw Paul Simon and Bob Dylan.

The band I've seen most is Sleater-Kinney because I followed them on a tour in upstate NY one week and saw them 3-4 times within a week.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:46 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

New Kids on the Block! In '90 or '91.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:54 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Urban Blight with pre hip hop Beastie Boys opening.

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next