| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead - Season 4 ( NO COMIC BOOK SPOILERS !
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:41 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Rick kind of pissed me off by taking it upon himself to decide Carol's fate with no input from the others. But I guess if he had told anyone what she had done, Tyrese would have killed her, and then Daryl would've killed Tyrese. Or something.

She'll be back, for sure. If they intended for her to be gone for good, she would've just died.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:35 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I am so pissed at Rick for kicking Carol out. I didn't see that coming at all. I was thinking he didn't trust her and didn't want to leave her at the prison without him and because she was the only leader left.

He can't say she is dead because if she does come back then everyone will know he lied. The truth has to come out eventually. I'm wondering how he is going to break this to Daryl without getting killed himself. Daryl is going to flip out!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:43 am 
Bathes in Braggs

ashley wrote:
She'll be back, for sure. If they intended for her to be gone for good, she would've just died.

Though possibly not as a regular.

I can't see anyone in that world surviving by themselves for long. I know I said it before, but it seems odd for her to drive away at the end. Gas is limited and she doesn't have anywhere to go. Where could she go? One place seems to be as good as another, zombies everywhere. No point in aimlessly driving if you are going to run out of gas and potentially be stuck in a worse spot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

GraciaKai wrote:
I'm wondering how he is going to break this to Daryl without getting killed himself. Daryl is going to flip out!

He told Daryl once that he handcuffed Merle to the to a pipe at the top of a building in Atlanta.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't think Rick will lie, but yes, I agree with you guys that this is going to cause a rift in the prison group. Do you think he should have booted her? I sort of am on Carol's side on this one, or at least, I don't think Rick should've kicked her out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:56 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm team Carol on this one. She acted hastily before really knowing what was going on. But It's a kill or be killed world they are living in. And I don't think she was 100% wrong with what she did.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

GraciaKai wrote:
I'm team Carol on this one. She acted hastily before really knowing what was going on. But It's a kill or be killed world they are living in. And I don't think she was 100% wrong with what she did.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:49 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Totally team Carol!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Geez, you guys are sure bloodthirsty!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:07 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

solipsistnation wrote:
Geez, you guys are sure bloodthirsty!

Ha, its a different world baby! Seriously, I don't think she should have taken upon herself to kill Karen and David, but its done now. From a pragmatic point of view, she can kill zombies, take care of the kids, teach people to fit, pop shoulders in, run around and get well water, make tough decisions, she's able-bodied, etc. You want her on your team. The key is of course trying to keep her in line. I think if I were Rick, I'd take this matter to the counsel and then basically leave her the choice and the second chance. "look, you can't kill people willy nilly. You can stay but you gotta get on board with some key rules of civilization and community, and if you can't or you won't, you're out." And you also deal with Tyrese in the same manner. Vigiliante justice will not be tolerated. Tyrese is baggage right now anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

And speaking of practical, why the hell do they refuse to take everything they can when they go on these runs? Take all the pills, don't just look for the ones you need! Take them all! Have hershel tell you what they're for. Inventory and index them. Take the book on pathology that was conveniently lying on the table.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:27 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'm so behind rick on this one. i think he spent that whole day trying to figure out whether she felt any remorse, and instead she more or less told him that she'd have taken him out too if he'd sneezed one time too many, or his kids or anyone else. i wouldn't want her on my team after that, because i'd never believe that she was on my team. i wish rick had let the group decide whether to let her stay, but i don't think he was wrong to want her to go. they're trying to construct a functional society. you do what needs to be done up to a point, but if you have to stomp out your own humanity to do it, it's probably not worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:32 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

acr wrote:
i'm so behind rick on this one. i think he spent that whole day trying to figure out whether she felt any remorse, and instead she more or less told him that she'd have taken him out too if he'd sneezed one time too many, or his kids or anyone else. i wouldn't want her on my team after that, because i'd never believe that she was on my team. i wish rick had let the group decide whether to let her stay, but i don't think he was wrong to want her to go. they're trying to construct a functional society. you do what needs to be done up to a point, but if you have to stomp out your own humanity to do it, it's probably not worth it.

Yeah, this. That's why he has the "How many people have you killed?" question when he meets new people.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:38 am 
Bathes in Braggs

emmalv wrote:
Ha, its a different world baby! Seriously, I don't think she should have taken upon herself to kill Karen and David, but its done now. From a pragmatic point of view, she can kill zombies, take care of the kids, teach people to fit, pop shoulders in, run around and get well water, make tough decisions, she's able-bodied, etc.

I think from a pragmatic point of view Rick was justified and for the reason you mentioned: they live in a danger filled anarchy. A few seconds of foolish behavior can wipe out a group of survivors. People who will do things that will incite others to fly off the handle are a burden.

Quote:
And speaking of practical, why the hell do they refuse to take everything they can when they go on these runs? Take all the pills, don't just look for the ones you need! Take them all! Have hershel tell you what they're for. Inventory and index them. Take the book on pathology that was conveniently lying on the table.

Ditto! Yet...., they are limited by what they can carry and there always seem to be zombies on the way out so I can see them not being keen on multiple trips to <=> from their vehicale.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I feel like I'm behind Carol on this one. Rick has been desperately trying to maintain what bits of humanity they have left, which is noble, but it's not practical. We have seen over and over again what happens to people who try to live a "normal" life of morals and ethics in this show. They die. Dale comes to mind when they were considering executing that kid on the farm. Rick can't just be a farmer in this world.

Though admittedly I think I can also see Rick's point of view here. I am just not sure I would value human life as much after living in this zombie world.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:33 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I'm on Carol's side but I also think that it's an unnecessary story line when there is already so much going on. So mostly it just annoys me and just doesn't work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:54 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I think there are a lot of threads that tie in with the Carol situation. One of the most interesting aspects of apocalyptic stories is the question that hangs over everything - at what point does survival become brutality and is it worth surviving without your humanity? It's the whole Lard of the Flies thing. They all have to switch off to a point, just so they can function. Like how the kids were warned not to give the zombies names, and Rick told Carl not to name the pigs, but was then visibly upset when he had to sacrifice them to distract the walkers. Also when Hershel told Carl not to shoot the walker because he didn't need to. I didn't so much as see that as trying to save ammo, because they seem to have plenty, but trying to deter Carl from falling into a habit of shooting them for sport, or out of hatred (Hershel's always seemed like the great humanist of the group). I think of Carol as representing survival at the cost of everything else, but so many of the others obviously struggle with that - with what kind of a life is it without clinging to the last vestiges of your humanity. I think it's a really interesting ethical dilemma. I think that's why Rick has turned to farming, and he realised that if Carol influenced the others too much, especially the kids she was teaching, there'd be nothing left to live for anyway because they'd just be like automatons, which isn't much better than being a walker. It's really sad to see Carol become like that because she has always been so thoughtful and kind.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I wonder if this is a plot twist to move the actress who plays Carol over toward being a guest star or if it is going to resolve putting her back in the story.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:30 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Karena wrote:
I think there are a lot of threads that tie in with the Carol situation. One of the most interesting aspects of apocalyptic stories is the question that hangs over everything - at what point does survival become brutality and is it worth surviving without your humanity? It's the whole Lard of the Flies thing. They all have to switch off to a point, just so they can function. Like how the kids were warned not to give the zombies names, and Rick told Carl not to name the pigs, but was then visibly upset when he had to sacrifice them to distract the walkers. Also when Hershel told Carl not to shoot the walker because he didn't need to. I didn't so much as see that as trying to save ammo, because they seem to have plenty, but trying to deter Carl from falling into a habit of shooting them for sport, or out of hatred (Hershel's always seemed like the great humanist of the group). I think of Carol as representing survival at the cost of everything else, but so many of the others obviously struggle with that - with what kind of a life is it without clinging to the last vestiges of your humanity. I think it's a really interesting ethical dilemma. I think that's why Rick has turned to farming, and he realised that if Carol influenced the others too much, especially the kids she was teaching, there'd be nothing left to live for anyway because they'd just be like automatons, which isn't much better than being a walker. It's really sad to see Carol become like that because she has always been so thoughtful and kind.

Honestly, I don't see what there is to live for at this point. Unending brutality and fear, to end in certain death. Everyone you know will die and then come back and try to eat you if you don't destroy their brain first. I know I've said it before, but if I'm faced with a zombie apocalypse, one of the first orders of business for me is offing myself in a way that destroys my brain.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:57 pm 

I'm such a loser, I'd try to keep living.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:41 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Hey, somebody's gotta be the last one bitten.

I am so forking stressed out from that last episode. It was horror upon horror and I just can't deal with the Governor coming back. It's too much.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:58 pm 

But they ate peas instead of pigs!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:06 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

j-dub wrote:
Karena wrote:

Honestly, I don't see what there is to live for at this point. Unending brutality and fear, to end in certain death. Everyone you know will die and then come back and try to eat you if you don't destroy their brain first. I know I've said it before, but if I'm faced with a zombie apocalypse, one of the first orders of business for me is offing myself in a way that destroys my brain.

I feel the same way. When people thought the end of the world was due in 2012 I really had a hard time understanding why anyone would want to build a bunker to survive it. I'd rather get blown to smithereens in the initial blast than live in a world where most of the people are gone, or the climate's totally messed up so all the trees die or something. I guess some of us are more cut out for an apocalypse than others and I don't mind admitting I'm a wuss!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I laughed when the dogs were eating the zombie at the beginning of the episode. I was kind of hoping Rick would pick the dogs up and bring them back to the prison. If they've made it two years, they deserve it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:45 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

IsaChandra wrote:
But they ate peas instead of pigs!

Looked like edamame to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:10 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i don't know why i think dogs eating zombies is so much grosser than zombies eating people, but i do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next