| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12 Years a Slave
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:08 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Has anyone seen it?

I just saw it and I was devastated. It was one of the most difficult-to-watch films I have ever encountered and I'm really glad I saw it.

One of the things that struck me was the juxtaposition between these amazing cinematographic moments and this violence on a scale that is honestly unimaginable.

I found the relationship between Sarah Paulson's character (is she given a name?) and Patsy both horrifying and enlightening--I feel like it has been echoed in various forms since then and continues to this day (for example all the stuff around #solidarityisforwhitewomen), and thought it really keenly showed the ways in which oppression begets oppression.

And I found the differing perspectives of the slave-owners (and other implicated characters) interesting--from the relatively benign Benedict Cumberbatch to the sadistic and sociopathic Michael Fassbender, to the snivelling bully Paul Dano.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post subject: Re: 12 Years a Slave
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I plan on seeing it once it's in wider release. I've heard it is incredibly good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:29 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I really want to see this. It's coming to my country in Jan 2014. ngh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:43 pm 
Hip Goiter

I agree with everything you said J-dubs. It's like I can't say it was an amazing movie or that I loved it because it was so difficult to watch and so upsetting. But both of those things are true. It's so well done. I agree that the relationship between Patsy and Sarah Paulson gave so much to the story. It was one of the most unique aspects that lifted this movie above most other similar kinds of movies.
Fassbender was so frightening, and his twisted obsession with Patsy was really well done, all the times when he would have rather killed her than deal with the situation. And I loved how Cumberbatch's seemingly kind and understanding character wasn't just left as the nice white man (when Solomon finally said something like "how can you not see that this is wrong" and it exposed his hypocrisy). Chiwetel is going to poss win an Oscar, which I'm loving. Ugh so good. I think it's going to be between this, August: Osage County, and Saving Mr. Banks for Best Picture.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I saw it today. I also agree that it was hard to watch, but an amazing story. Mr. Ejiofor definitely deserves an Oscar.