| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Language Lab: joys (and not) of foreign language learnin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:51 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

COOL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:50 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Pi_Face wrote:
Swedish sounds so nice and from what I've read is relatively easy but I'm worried it'll interfere with my German

My ex learned Swedish from me/my family having been fluent in German, and I think it was of great assistance to him. A lot of Swedish words are just similar enough to German that you can guess them, and a lot of times even if he used the German word in an otherwise Swedish sentence, Swedish speakers would understand what he was trying to say and be able to give him the proper Swedish word. (ETA: he's also one of those crazy brain people who has been trilingual from a very young age and has little to no difficulties picking up a new language; at last count he speaks about 7 languages fluently. So take that with a grain of salt)

Likewise, I've never studied German but the amount I've been able to glean just by its occasional similarity to Swedish has surprised me. Not enough to speak or read, certainly, but enough to survive a week or two in Germany.

If anyone else is practicing their Swedish, I just found a great podcast from SR! It's a horror fiction podcast called Creepypodden med Jack Werner. I've only listened to the first episode so far but the narration is the perfect tempo for me- just fast enough to be challenging but not as fast (or un-enunciated) as most regular Swedish speakers!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:58 pm 
Grandfathered In

One more thing about HelloTalk: I do love it, but I'm not crazy about the person who tries to guilt trip me into writing her more often. (She has said she likes finding messages from her foreign correspondents when she gets up. I mean, sure, I do too. It's fun.) But this is annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:08 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I downloaded Hello Talk then had to uninstall it because I kept getting messages from random people calling me a she-male and asking if I'm actually a man.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:05 pm 
Grandfathered In

Oh, great.

Well, damn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I wasn't sure where to write this but I'm currently reading a book in English translated from German, it's aimed at German teenagers who are studying English and says "in American English!" On the cover. I'm not reading it to study English but because of the story (my weird library only had the translated version)

I feel like I'm going crazy. There was one sentence that sounded off and very very German and now almost every page has some weird stuff, only I'm not sure anymore whether it's wrong or just translated a bit too close to the original.

"Slowly the player's astonishment and trepidation abated and made room for excitement and merriment." ... This does sound weird, right?

"He hated it when Justus indulged himself in enigmatic insinuations and didn't come out with the truth"

And then there are some that I'm unsure about, they sound so wrong but maybe someone can tell me how this sounds to a native speaker

Is "punishment practice" the normal term for when you have to practice sports for losing a game earlier?

"You sound pretty on edge." "On edge is good." Can you say that? Like "that's rich", not that being on edge is actually good.

Now I can't find the other examples even though the book is full of them...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:23 pm 
Grandfathered In

The sentences with on edge sound fine to me.

The others are not "ungrammatical," but they're so thick with 10-dollar words that they sound unnatural.

"Trepidation abated," "merriment," "enigmatic insinuations." There's nothing wrong about these (the sentences are built correctly and the words are used with their proper meanings), but the vocabulary definitely feels off. I don't think I'd enjoy that book.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:27 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I agree with Footie.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

It sounds like an insane mash up of Google Translate and Great Expectations.

I'm now going to use 'enigmatic insinuations" at every opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks! Yeah, I feel like the books not so much full of grammar mistakes as it's just a word for word translation. I keep thinking "Californian teenagers don't talk like this!!!"

It also makes me angry because I get payed so little to translate dumb shiitake and someone gets to translate a series I like and then does... Whatever this is...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks! Yeah, I feel like the books not so much full of grammar mistakes as it's just a word for word translation. I keep thinking "Californian teenagers don't talk like this!!!"

It also makes me angry because I get payed so little to translate dumb shiitake and someone gets to translate a series I like and then does... Whatever this is...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

"Peter braced himself against the wall and was introspective" I know this is not a wrong sentence but but...

"He has inherited richly" is wrong, right? Nevermind, I looked it up. 100 google hits. So definitely something a teenager would say.

Edit:
Sorry I didn't just edit my post. Posting on my phone is a bit weird.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This book sounds hilarious. All your base hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:56 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Managed to write an email to a language school in Berlin in German. Woooh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:55 pm 
Grandfathered In

FootFace wrote:
Welp. I registered to take the 46th TOPIK test in April. You'll recall (or not) that I took the TOPIK last April, and I didn't do so well. But this time will be... different?

I still haven't received my official materials for this, so I'm maybe taking the TOPIK next month?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Does anyone else have a lot of trouble studying languages without something like classes /homework pushing you?

I really really want to keep up with the languages I already studied but it feels like I never have time which clearly means I have more of a time management issue or just need more of a proper structure/schedule. Its not because I dont like to, I actually super miss studying at least several times a week (/geek). But also... maybe I just actually don't have enough time with university and work and life and everything else. Blergh. :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:17 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

We're doing Easter with NB's family. In the past, we've done 50-50 Dutch and English, with me being heavy on English. This time has been more 95-5 with me dropping into English only at the end of our dates (5-6 hours with each of his families) for complicated phrases. They were so impressed! I am so impressed! Woo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Does anyone else have a lot of trouble studying languages without something like classes /homework pushing you?

I really really want to keep up with the languages I already studied but it feels like I never have time which clearly means I have more of a time management issue or just need more of a proper structure/schedule. Its not because I dont like to, I actually super miss studying at least several times a week (/geek). But also... maybe I just actually don't have enough time with university and work and life and everything else. Blergh. :(

The tutoring on italkti has really helped me with pushing me to keep up even when I'm busy or tired or distracted by a shiny object. It's really inexpensive too! Depending on the language, they also have instant tutoring where you see who is online.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:52 pm 
Grandfathered In

Homework assignments or some kind of regular schedule are a huge help. Without them, I kind of... drift.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:58 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Seconding Skype/Google Hangouts/other video chat lessons for staying motivated. I recently started lessons with a teacher from italki and I'm really enjoying it, although I feel totally mentally exhausted after an hour. (Some teachers offer shorter lessons, which I kind of wish I had started with.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:02 am 
Huffs Nooch

I'm trying to learn Italian. I just downloaded an app called "memrise" recently. It helps a lot with pronounciation and spelling, but I'm wondering if complex skills will be attainable with it. :/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:54 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Alyx wrote:
I'm trying to learn Italian. I just downloaded an app called "memrise" recently. It helps a lot with pronounciation and spelling, but I'm wondering if complex skills will be attainable with it. :/
Memrise is basically a well-organised, well-presented flashcards system, which means it's as good as whatever was put into it by the deck authors.

DuoLingo is pretty solid and builds up in complexity as you know more. Use both!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Alyx wrote:

I am fluent in Italian, so please let me know whenever you can't figure something out...all the little pronouns can be confusing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:46 am 
Grandfathered In

The TOPIK test is in 10 days.

I don't think I'm ready.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:56 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Footie, you got this! (Heart whoop-whoop!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next