| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rest in Peace Philip Seymour Hoffman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:29 pm 
Semen Strong

He was a brilliant actor, and will be missed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/movie ... at-46.html

Post subject: Re: Rest in Peace Philip Seymour Hoffman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I was just coming to post this. So sad :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:41 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Just saw this on the news. Very sad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:44 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

So sad. He was a wonderful actor; what a tragic waste, and how awful for his family. It makes me particularly sad when drugs are involved in a person's untimely death, because thereafter their memory, their reputation, and their surviving work are colored by it. He had a partner and three young children; I can't imagine what it would be like to suffer that sort of loss in the public eye.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:58 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Damnit. :( There was just something about him. Of all the actors to loose, man.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:10 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Aw, man.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:29 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

So very sad. I heard about this earlier on the radio while driving and was hoping that it was a hoax. Now it is all over the interwebs and newswires.

An exceptional actor. RIP Philip.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So sad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

It was the movie Capote and his performance in it that sparked my interest in Truman Capote.
Just heartbreaking.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:04 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i am sick with sadness. absolutely crushed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:54 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm not even a particularly film-loving person, but PSH was one of my favourites. His genuine passion for his craft was so obvious, and he came across as such a real thinking-and-feeling intelligent man, which is not so common in Hollywood. I have been watching clips from Boogie Nights and Punchdrunk Love tonight, two of my favourite roles of his.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:04 pm 
Chip Strong

He was such a versatile and talented actor, and much too young. So sad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was pretty sad about this yesterday when I heard. I guess I don't pay attention much, or maybe his drug use wasn't in the public eye, but I had no idea he was suffering from addiction.

The one thing that bothers me though is when the news uses headlines like "TRAGEDY" when talking about his and others death from drug overdoes. To me it's not tragic at all. If he was battling a heroine addiction for some time then his death by overdose is kind of expected. I can't buy in to feeling overly upset about the death of someone who had complete disregard for their own life.

Makes me shake my head in wonder. RIP PSH, I will watch your movies for years to come!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

GraciaKai wrote:

The one thing that bothers me though is when the news uses headlines like "TRAGEDY" when talking about his and others death from drug overdoes. To me it's not tragic at all. If he was battling a heroine addiction for some time then his death by overdose is kind of expected. I can't buy in to feeling overly upset about the death of someone who had complete disregard for their own life.

woah hey I know this isn't the place to start an argument, but addiction is a disease and not a character flaw.
being an addict does not indicate a blatant disregard for one's life. it indicates a disease that is hard and painful and persistent as fork.
death is a tragedy, no past actions of the deceased negate mourning imo.

but to be on topic-
I'm sad he's dead, I always enjoyed his work.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Last edited by booberthefraggle on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

booberthefraggle wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

woah hey I know this isn't the place to start an argument, but addiction is a disease and not a character flaw.
being an addict does not indicate a blatant disregard for one's life. it indicates a disease that is hard and painful and persistent as fork.

I understand that, and I'm sorry to offend anyone. My parents were both heroine addicts and my lost my father due to his addiction. So I know first hand about all of it. I just see and feel it differently.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:24 am 
Flounceiad 2011

GraciaKai wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

I understand that, and I'm sorry to offend anyone. My parents were both heroine addicts and my lost my father due to his addiction. So I know first hand about all of it. I just see and feel it differently.
I also have relatives who have struggled with addiction, and while in at least one case that's wound up being a dealbreaker, it was due to the person's behavior rather than his drug addiction per se. As noted above, addiction is an illness, not a moral, ethical, or character flaw. If the person in question had suffered from diabetes or any depression or anything else, I would have discontinued contact not because of his illness, but because of his overall toxicity.

In PSH's case, it sounds like he had been clean and sober for many years, had a relapse for which he sought help, and (apparently) fell hard off the wagon one last time. Today his family and friends are dealing with his untimely departure from their lives, and the world has lost a talented actor who might have had a long and fruitful career. He and his loved ones deserve pity and compassion, not value judgments.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:52 am 
Semen Strong

Graciakai, I am really sorry that you grew up with two parents who were addicts, and it must have been so hard to see your Dad die from his addiction. I wonder if it might help you feel more at peace with his loss to go to NarcAnon and find some support at processing your own losses. I am sending you lots and lots of hugs.

Desdemona wrote:
Today his family and friends are dealing with his untimely departure from their lives, and the world has lost a talented actor who might have had a long and fruitful career. He and his loved ones deserve pity and compassion, not value judgments.

This, a thousand times this.

We were celebrating a 23rd anniversary of sobriety yesterday, and it was hard to realize that PSH had 23 years sober and still went out, but that is the nature of addiction. Addiction is such a difficult disease to manage, especially in the face of all the value judgements that people have, who just don't understand that it isn't a moral flaw or a lack of willpower.

And its heartbreaking that PSH leaves behind 3 children and a partner, whom he did love and care about. He didn't have a complete disregard for his life or theirs, because that implies that he made a conscious choice not to take them into account, which is absolutely not the case. That isn't how addiction, or any other disease works. We shouldn't shame someone with cancer (and there are nutritarian sites that do blame people for getting cancer ("why didn't she just go vegan?")) and we shouldn't shame someone with an addiction. PSH checked himself in to rehab, he got as much support as he could, but sometimes the disease still takes you. I think it also plays into a picture of what people think that addicts look like - like they must be isolated completely from "normal" life and just be shooting up all day (and there are some people who do that). But there are also a lot of functional addicts - PSH was an involved father (there are so many pictures of him with his kids hanging out in NYC), he was a working actor and a generous friend.

Its a tragedy that Philip Seymour Hoffman is dead. A tragedy because he was a brilliant actor - every time I have seen him in a performance he elevates it to new heights- and an even bigger tragedy because he was a very well-loved man who will be missed by many people. His family, friends and fans are mourning him, and to dismiss the enormity of that loss is disrespectful and unkind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't really have much to add except that I personally struggled with heroin addiction (10 years clean almost) and lost my husband to an overdose of a massive cocktail of substances and I still find the death of someone to addiction a tragedy. I'm sure his partner and kids find it so. Addiction is a disease. Some of us are fortunate enough to survive it and others aren't. It doesn't make them bad people.

Gracie I'm sorry for your loss and can see why it might make you feel differently.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:28 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

paprikapapaya wrote:
I'm not even a particularly film-loving person, but PSH was one of my favourites. His genuine passion for his craft was so obvious, and he came across as such a real thinking-and-feeling intelligent man, which is not so common in Hollywood. I have been watching clips from Boogie Nights and Punchdrunk Love tonight, two of my favourite roles of his.

Yeah, I'm not much of a movie buff, but PSH was always someone in a movie that I got excited about seeing. It is pretty sad, and seems like it should be unreal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Being a child of addicts is hard because you can't help but think and feel "Why not chose me over the drugs". It's rough all around for all parties involved and really wish there was a way for addicts to have an easy button because I know every single person fighting an addiction of any kind would so much rather pick their loved ones and lives over their habit. I know that and yet it is still really hard for me to rationalize.

It is sad and he had so much more to give and was an amazing and talented person. I wish that no one would ever have to face losing someone they love no matter how it happened. But sometimes it's hard for me to not feel complete and utter frustration. For me it's one of those moments when you throw your fist in the air and yell WHY!

Again, I apologize if my comments were hurtful or out of place. And thank you for the support everyone. I am taking actions to better my mental health and deal with my past. I'm not sure it is something I'll ever get over or understand or be ok with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry GraciaKai. That is something that I do think NarcAnon is so helpful with.

I cannot begin to understand how hard it must be to be a child of addicts, but if you don't mind and this isn't too much of a threadjack, here is how NarcAnon helped me. My ex became a crack addict after we had been together for 3 years and basically smoked away all our money (we had saved for a downpayment on a house), lost his job, and our home and then started to forge checks (he ended up going to prison for a year). It was insane how much he lost, and for the last year we were together, I was always asking "what is so great about drugs that he would choose to lose me, a great job, our home, our animals, our life together for?" And he was a really great and wonderful guy (he woke up every morning and would say "You are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, and I love you so much") and I loved him so much, and I fought as hard as I could to get him to be willing to fight for our relationship and our life, and I stood by him even when we lost our apartment and had to live out of our car, and even as he was going downhill so fast, he couldn't stop. And I still can't completely understand, because I'm not an addict, but NarcAnon and counseling helped me realize that it had nothing to do with me, it was the disease. And I never did manage to save him, but I did manage to finally leave.

Sometimes just hearing that you're not alone and that this is part of the disease can help with the frustration and anger.

I am sending you tons of love and hugs, and please feel free to PM me if I can support you in any way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We should have a recovery support thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29377

I kind of started one, kind of.

Thanks for sharing Tofulish! You are right in that it's so hard to understand and grapple with the fact that your loved ones addiction has nothing to do with you. That is such a tormenting feeling. I've been in and out of therapy over the years but just recently started going again every other week and I'm finally dealing with it. Or trying anyway. Even though I was in therapy before I kind of glazed over my true feelings and fluffed my way through it. At this point I am truly and 100% at a point where I need to work on it for my own well being. I think as much as I hate to admit it I'm still in the angry phase and I haven't forgiven them yet. And I do get triggered by people having undying compassion in situations like these. I should not have chosen this thread as the place to voice my feelings about addiction. PSH has no bearing on my life and if people want to grieve and mourn his life they have every right to. And I def wasn't trying to say that he is or was a bad person. But sometimes my anger takes over and the feelings of being a 12 year old who is utterly dumbfounded and in despair over the loss of a parent gets the better of me.

Blondiefk, congrats on your 10 years of sobriety!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh, please don't beat yourself up GraciaKai! This conversation has been a really illuminating one and it wouldn't have happened without your comments.

My only concern with having a recovery support thread is that it might be one of those topics where people really should be getting professional help, like the Depression thread.

And blondiefk, congratulations on your 10 years of sobriety! That is amazing and wonderful, and I am so sorry for all the loss you've experienced. <3

Big hugs to everyone in the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

(((((((( <3 )))))))))