| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 pm 
Mediocre Tart

You realise you just gave me the piffling excuse I didn't really need to watch ALL THE THINGS AGAIN? You're a pal, poopster <3

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:07 pm 
And you never will.

Hey, you're welcome :)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:11 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

interrobang?! wrote:
Sarah-Jane wrote:
I still hate Clara. It has become full blown hate at this point, I want them to replace her.

Whaaaaaaaaa?! I love Clara. And that has taken some doing, given my feelings on Amy. I just wish we had gotten more episodes to get to know her is all. Too rushed.

But I do think this is the best finale we've had. I loved it.

poopiebitch wrote:
And is John Hurt the Valeyard?! I mean, it makes sense - he's in the Doctor's time stream, but he isn't a past regeneration (that we know of), so maybe? That was my first thought, but they introduced him "as the Doctor" which would still technically be true if he was the Valeyard, but maybe not?

John Hurt is the confusing. Particularly his introduction as 'The Doctor'. Because... is he? I mean, taking that title... that's the confusing bit. He could be the Doctor before he became the Doctor (ie. the one before Hartnell)... but then that wasn't his name then. He could be the Time War Doctor between McGann and Eccleston? I don't think he's the Valeyard, but eh... The whole thing that's throwing me off is that he was 'introduced' as the 'Doctor'... but he's not, he can't be? By that name, I mean. Not that he's not a version of the current Doctor, but specifically that he can't be called by that name? Well, I know what I mean even if I'm not expressing it in writing. Y'know? YOU KNOW?!?!

I thought he could be the Time War Doctor but then it confused me because they called him The Doctor. I really enjoyed the episode but Clara kept whining and fainting and I hate her. River Song made it for me and the exchange between her and the Doctor had me a little choked up.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:21 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

It felt a bit like a rehash of the Bad Wolf stuff, only this time vaguely coherent/meaningful.

And it was a bit facepalmy that they went to great pains to say, "Oh, that's me, but it's not The Doctor" and then introduced him as...The Doctor. OK, SURE, WHATEVER.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:27 pm 
Mediocre Tart

THE STARS ARE GOING OUT (AGAIN)!!

Flibbertigibbetin' jackanapes!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:39 pm 
And you never will.

Sarah-Jane wrote:
River Song made it for me and the exchange between her and the Doctor had me a little choked up.

Oh gosh, I did get a little teary when he was like "I can always see you" *sob*

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Strax in Glasgow. "I wish he'd never discovered that place." Moffat is from Paisley, though... so, acceptable.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:48 pm 
Mediocre Tart

(Paisley is the WORST)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:50 pm 
Mediocre Tart

C'MERE, YEH TOATY WEE MIDGET!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:58 pm 
Mediocre Tart

poopiebitch wrote:
Sarah-Jane wrote:
River Song made it for me and the exchange between her and the Doctor had me a little choked up.

Oh gosh, I did get a little teary when he was like "I can always see you" *sob*

Not the one with the gigantic head?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:04 pm 
And you never will.

It's hair, Strax.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:20 pm 

interrobang?! wrote:
Strax in Glasgow. "I wish he'd never discovered that place." Moffat is from Paisley, though... so, acceptable.

As soon as that happened I thought of you.

Yeah, I am really confused about John Hurt not being the doctor and then being called the doctor, in writing. I know he isn't going to be the next doctor but it really annoyed me when I saw so many people being all "OMG he's old and ugly, he can't be the doctor" and I, personally, think he would make a pretty awesome doctor.

I need to mention River Song again, just because.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:05 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I'm excited about John Hurt. It reminds me of the five minutes where Derek Jacobi was the master. That was a great five minutes.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

interrobang?! wrote:

poopiebitch wrote:
And is John Hurt the Valeyard?! I mean, it makes sense - he's in the Doctor's time stream, but he isn't a past regeneration (that we know of), so maybe? That was my first thought, but they introduced him "as the Doctor" which would still technically be true if he was the Valeyard, but maybe not?

John Hurt is the confusing. Particularly his introduction as 'The Doctor'. Because... is he? I mean, taking that title... that's the confusing bit. He could be the Doctor before he became the Doctor (ie. the one before Hartnell)... but then that wasn't his name then. He could be the Time War Doctor between McGann and Eccleston? I don't think he's the Valeyard, but eh... The whole thing that's throwing me off is that he was 'introduced' as the 'Doctor'... but he's not, he can't be? By that name, I mean. Not that he's not a version of the current Doctor, but specifically that he can't be called by that name? Well, I know what I mean even if I'm not expressing it in writing. Y'know? YOU KNOW?!?!

This is about where I'm confused. I was thinking that Hurt has to be a prior regeneration of the Doctor because Eleven remembers him. I thought the Valeyard was later in the Doctor's own timeline, but maybe Eleven remembers him because of the interaction with Six? Then I started thinking: Is the awful thing that he did really ending the Time War? Because in other regenerations, the Doctor has spoke about what he did and always owned up to it. He might be ashamed of it and regret it but he hasn't distanced himself from it. So what else could it have been?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:28 pm 
And you never will.

gwenc02 wrote:
in other regenerations, the Doctor has spoke about what he did and always owned up to it. He might be ashamed of it and regret it but he hasn't distanced himself from it. So what else could it have been?

That's exactly why I thought he was the Valeyard. Because the Doctor knows that he's a part of him, but a scary dark part of him that he's spend half his life trying to hide and avoid becoming.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:43 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mumbles wrote:
And it was a bit facepalmy that they went to great pains to say, "Oh, that's me, but it's not The Doctor" and then introduced him as...The Doctor. OK, SURE, WHATEVER.

Yes! That was so confusing! I'd figured it was like Poopie said, that he was the dark part of the The Doctor that he's been fighting against, but then, introducing him as the Doctor? What?

I really didn't enjoy this season generally. Particularly the second half. Also, pretty sure a piece of me broke a little when they got rid of River for good. I knew it had to be coming, but still. She was the best thing about Eleven! (I know she was around for Ten a bit as well, but he had other redeeming qualities).

I can't wait til they get rid of Matt Smith! I'm interested to see what will happen next. Surely he's pretty much done his time by now?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:47 pm 

gunk wrote:
mumbles wrote:

Also, pretty sure a piece of me broke a little when they got rid of River for good. I knew it had to be coming, but still. She was the best thing about Eleven! (I know she was around for Ten a bit as well, but he had other redeeming qualities).

I can't wait til they get rid of Matt Smith! I'm interested to see what will happen next. Surely he's pretty much done his time by now?

Have they gotten rid of River for good? There was that one line, when he asked how could he still be talking to her if she's not alive, and she says, "spoilers". I have my doubts that she's entirely gone. I'm still really, really sad that she and the doctor can't be together.

As for Matt Smith, I love him to pieces but I hope he doesn't stay past a fourth season. I'm not sure the writing can weather a single incarnation for more than 3-4 seasons...so much of the show's course seems to mold itself around the particular acting style of the person playing the doctor. I also loved Tennant but wasn't upset when he left the show--I think he knew the limit of his campiness.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:31 pm 

I love Matt Smith as the doctor and I actually think he is my favourite doctor of the re-boot. I think it will kill me a little bit when he leaves but I know it has to happen soon. As for River Song, I really hope we see more of her and I am pretty sure we will. She is a great character and Alex Kingston is so perfect in that role that they will hopefully find a way to bring her back when she is most needed.

I was talking to my dad about the show the other day and we were both in agreement that they have made the series too funny (I know it always had humour but it seems to be over shadowing everything else now) in the past few seasons and that I think that this last season has probably been the weakest so far in terms of writing. I still enjoy it and there were a couple of good episodes but nothing that really stood out for me or most people that I have talked to.

In other news, I have been re-watching the earlier episodes with Christopher Eccleston and I am really enjoying them. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed him as the doctor and how much I enjoyed the first season. My plans over the summer are to watch more of the original series (because I have no job and nothing else to do!) which should be fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So, it's been confirmed that Matt Smith is leaving at the end of his year, and will regenerate in the Xmas special.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-leave-Doctor-Who
Any guesses/hopes as to who will be the next Doctor?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:18 pm 

I saw that. I am going to be so sad, like inconsolable sad. I have been on a real John Hurt kick recently and I really wish he was going to be the new doctor. I know he isn't but I actually think he would have been the best choice. I can't think of any established actors that I can see in the role but I think the casting for nine, ten and eleven have been so great that I will give anyone a chance.

I've mentioned that I've been re-watching, and maybe I am just really sad or something at the minute, but they all make me cry second time around. The worst was today with "School Reunion" and Sarah-Jane Smith just being there made me so sad and K9 sacrificing himself and then when he reappeared at the end and I sobbed like a baby. And then the episode with Madame de Pompadour. And Mickey leaving (and I never even liked Mickey.) It is such a sad show! (And wonderful and happy and exciting but also sad.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
So, it's been confirmed that Matt Smith is leaving at the end of his year, and will regenerate in the Xmas special.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-leave-Doctor-Who
Any guesses/hopes as to who will be the next Doctor?

Paterson Joseph! Paterson Joseph! He would be great (as I suggested before MS was cast as 11). I would also be happy with Alexander Siddig (Dr Bashir from DS9). Mike wants Cumberbatch, who is at least older than Matt Smith. I think he could pull it off, but it would almost be Cumberbatch overkill (since s3 of Sherlock will be on soon). I suspect Mike's wish is more likely than mine since it's almost certainly gonna be another white guy. It's probably just a question of whether it'll be an old white guy or a young white guy. I've also seen Helen Mirren suggested, which would be forking awesome, but I'd almost bet that a female Doctor is even less likely than a non-white Doctor.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

It seems like the Doctor has been regenerating to look younger and younger though... especially with the Eccleston - Tennant - Smith procession, so I won't be surprised if it's someone that looks even younger than Matt Smith. That being said, I really like Craig Ferguson's suggestion for Rupert Grint.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:21 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm so sad that Matt Smith is going. Matt Smith is cool.
He's done nearly as many as David Tennent, which is good going.
As for the next doctor - here's a list - scroll down for the men - http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:51 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm really happy Matt Smith is leaving. I like him just fine, but he's...well, done. I'm bored of his "I've lived too long and make too many teary speeches and constantly need to figure out why the pretty women around me are SO IMPORTANT TO THE UNIVERSE OMG" schtick. I'm also pretty much done with Stephen Moffat running the show- too little interesting episodes and story arcs. Everything just falls flat...but I was basically done with Moffat when Amy was the companion. Then he made the Cybermen pathetic...defeated by love? Seriously? I'm not even scared of any of the baddies. I just yawn when they two dimensionally show up (the newer ones, like the Silence) or when the oldies get ruined (M&M Daleks? The Great Intelligence having no purpose?).

It's astounding how many people who used to roll their eyes at me about loving Doctor Who are ALL ABOUT IT starting with Matt Smith and never bother watching anything before him. I've got veganbeef with lots of my friends.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:15 am 

missdelaney wrote:
I'm really happy Matt Smith is leaving. I like him just fine, but he's...well, done. I'm bored of his "I've lived too long and make too many teary speeches and constantly need to figure out why the pretty women around me are SO IMPORTANT TO THE UNIVERSE OMG" schtick. I'm also pretty much done with Stephen Moffat running the show- too little interesting episodes and story arcs. Everything just falls flat...but I was basically done with Moffat when Amy was the companion. Then he made the Cybermen pathetic...defeated by love? Seriously? I'm not even scared of any of the baddies. I just yawn when they two dimensionally show up (the newer ones, like the Silence) or when the oldies get ruined (M&M Daleks? The Great Intelligence having no purpose?).

It's astounding how many people who used to roll their eyes at me about loving Doctor Who are ALL ABOUT IT starting with Matt Smith and never bother watching anything before him. I've got veganbeef with lots of my friends.

To be fair, the theme of the companion being SO IMPORTANT TO THE UNIVERSE existed before Matt Smith and Moffat-as-primary-writer. Rose was Bad Wolf, Martha saved the world from the Master, and Donna was a martyr (I mean, she had a death, of sorts).

I'd like to see some male companions once in a while, though (I know there was Rory but he wasn't the main guy). It's be really nice to see a non-gendered binary between the doctor and his companion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 42  Next