| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:20 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

"I competed in the anti-gravalympics on this!" Amazing.

I feel like they're laying the romance on way waaaay too thick for the first couple of episodes, though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:08 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

interrobang?! wrote:
Snogbox.

Snogbox!

I love the way Matt Smith speaks... and is... as the Doctor. Love him. Love everything about him.

The 'story' I wasn't too arsed about in a way (I mean, as what purported to be the main story... which I saw more as a background story, if that makes any sense), but I especially loved the dialogue. Loved it. And the sniffing of the jammy dodgers. And the licking of the leaf. And Clara holding onto that cup of tea comewhatmay, haha. And Amy's book! "What chapter are you on? Ten? Eleven's the best. You'll cry your eyes out."

Yowzers.

I was coming on to say this, pretty much.

I watched it with a couple of friends and then played Doctor Who Yahtzee! I won. Also Matt Smith finally won over someone (my friend) who had quit the show with David Tennant. When he sniffed the chocolate cake and lifted it all she melted a little.

The story was OK. The idea a little creepy, well the half headed masts were creepy, but it was the first episode so the story is almost just there to hold up the introduction of the new companion and season. Does any of this make sense? I am tired.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:42 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I WANT TO PLAY DR WHO YAHTZEE! Ok, I don't actually remember what Yahtzee is. There's dice and stuff, yeah?

Sarah-Jane wrote:
it was the first episode so the story is almost just there to hold up the introduction of the new companion and season. Does any of this make sense? I am tired.

Makes super-sense! Like with the intro to Rory and Amy. Ok, we've met a sorta Clara before in a way... but yeah. I agree!

Now let's fly away in my snogbox.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:38 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Oh, cries. Oh, the cries. Epic Dr speeches makes me cry anyway, but then he cried? Super-sobs. "Eleven's the best. You'll cry your eyes out." I thought that was about the past, but it's about the present and future too? My wee heart can't take it.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:13 pm 

interrobang?! wrote:
I WANT TO PLAY DR WHO YAHTZEE! Ok, I don't actually remember what Yahtzee is. There's dice and stuff, yeah?

Sarah-Jane wrote:
it was the first episode so the story is almost just there to hold up the introduction of the new companion and season. Does any of this make sense? I am tired.

Makes super-sense! Like with the intro to Rory and Amy. Ok, we've met a sorta Clara before in a way... but yeah. I agree!

Now let's fly away in my snogbox.

I want in your snogbox RIGHT NOW!

interrobang?! wrote:
Oh, cries. Oh, the cries. Epic Dr speeches makes me cry anyway, but then he cried? Super-sobs. "Eleven's the best. You'll cry your eyes out." I thought that was about the past, but it's about the present and future too? My wee heart can't take it.

My friend kept saying it was cheesy but I was choking back the tears and he was crying and omg he was crying and I want to marry Matt Smith's Doctor and I would even have his little half Time Lard babies and I don't even want babies!

That's what I thought about this episode.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:19 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I loved tonight's episode. And I'm loving how the second half of this season is playing out. I think Matt's at his best, and Jenna makes a wonderful companion. I think this style has a bit of a Davies-era feel to it, which is another reason why I'm loving it.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:56 am 
Chip Strong

So.... what the hell was this week's episode? I was trying really hard to get into it, and I liked some of what they were trying to do, but it felt like they tried to put too many things in and ended up with something pretty plotless. It could've been a really great episode for understanding Clara and the TARDIS and the Doctor's relationship with the TARDIS so much better, but instead it was just a mess, I thought. Compelling at times, but mostly a mess.

Also, Matt Smith's sort of hunched, trying-to-be-an-old-man demeanor is really not endearing to me, and he seems to be amping it up every episode in this season. Meh. I wonder if we'll have a new Doctor at the end of this season?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:17 am 
Chip Strong

I wasn't wild about this week's episode either: even though it was exciting to finally see a bit more of the Tardis, the whole "then we woke up and none of it had really happened and everything went back to normal" type thing just didn't do it for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:43 am 
Not NOT A Furry

TiVo deleted all my doctor whos I had stacked up to watch :( Been super busy so not had time to watch them...and bam, my virgin box messes up and deletes it all! Grr. Also deleted masterchef.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:06 pm 

This is the point where I just admit that I just don't care about Clara. I am trying, really forking trying, to like her but I just don't. I don't even dislike her. It's like the fact that, if she dies, she will just come back as the exact same character, same actress, same name, same everything, without repercussions has made me lose all sense of empathy towards her. I think? Maybe she just isn't Amy and Rory but I don't think it is that. And she is so overly familiar with the Doctor and when she is hanging out in the Tardis, in between adventures, she has wet hair and a cute dress on? Why no towel or sweat pants?

And why doesn't the Tardis like her? Why did that psychic say she was "just a normal girl" and why does the Doctor not trust her (he thought she was lying) and I just feel terrible because I don't care about her!

I was very excited to see the swimming pool and library - finally!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:40 pm 
Chip Strong

Sarah-Jane wrote:
This is the point where I just admit that I just don't care about Clara. I am trying, really forking trying, to like her but I just don't. I don't even dislike her. It's like the fact that, if she dies, she will just come back as the exact same character, same actress, same name, same everything, without repercussions has made me lose all sense of empathy towards her. I think? Maybe she just isn't Amy and Rory but I don't think it is that. And she is so overly familiar with the Doctor and when she is hanging out in the Tardis, in between adventures, she has wet hair and a cute dress on? Why no towel or sweat pants?

And why doesn't the Tardis like her? Why did that psychic say she was "just a normal girl" and why does the Doctor not trust her (he thought she was lying) and I just feel terrible because I don't care about her!

I was very excited to see the swimming pool and library - finally!

Yes to all of this! Although, admittedly I was never as attached to Amy and Rory as I have been to some of the other companions.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:14 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I freaking LOVED this episode...and I felt like it was the first in which I was able to start putting together some clues as to who Clara might be and what was happening in some of the other episodes.

I don't think Clara is dying and coming back as a different version of herself. I think she's the same Clara the whole time--after this episode, I re-watched Asylum of the Daleks--she was really familiar with him then, too. I think there's a possibility she knows who the doctor is at that point (she never actually said anything to prove she didn't know who he was; the only thing she didn't know was that she was a Dalek--when she first hears him, she says, "is that you? are you real? are you coming to get me?").

So, Asylum of the Daleks (if I'm correct, which is a long shot) would actually be further along on the Doctor's timeline than tonight's episode. It would also explain the "Run you clever boy, and remember"--she knows this phrase in three separate times. Something screwy is going to happen with the timeline, akin to River Song and the Doctor...but more complicated this time.

Anyway, that's my guess. Even if it's totally off, I'm glad we finally have enough clues to string together possibilities that have some logic to them. Until tonight's episodes, all the pieces seemed scattered to me. Now we know more--for instance, that she's undeniably human. Previously, that was an unanswered question.

And oh! Who saw the piece of paper fall down onto the console at the end? There's still an echo of the control panel room somewhere else in the ship. Is this where the timeline split? A hologram of Clara (they did it with Amy) who still knows herself as Clara and the original?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:43 pm 
Chip Strong

tinglepants! wrote:
I freaking LOVED this episode...and I felt like it was the first in which I was able to start putting together some clues as to who Clara might be and what was happening in some of the other episodes.

I don't think Clara is dying and coming back as a different version of herself. I think she's the same Clara the whole time--after this episode, I re-watched Asylum of the Daleks--she was really familiar with him then, too. I think there's a possibility she knows who the doctor is at that point (she never actually said anything to prove she didn't know who he was; the only thing she didn't know was that she was a Dalek--when she first hears him, she says, "is that you? are you real? are you coming to get me?").

So, Asylum of the Daleks (if I'm correct, which is a long shot) would actually be further along on the Doctor's timeline than tonight's episode. It would also explain the "Run you clever boy, and remember"--she knows this phrase in three separate times. Something screwy is going to happen with the timeline, akin to River Song and the Doctor...but more complicated this time.

Anyway, that's my guess. Even if it's totally off, I'm glad we finally have enough clues to string together possibilities that have some logic to them. Until tonight's episodes, all the pieces seemed scattered to me. Now we know more--for instance, that she's undeniably human. Previously, that was an unanswered question.

And oh! Who saw the piece of paper fall down onto the console at the end? There's still an echo of the control panel room somewhere else in the ship. Is this where the timeline split? A hologram of Clara (they did it with Amy) who still knows herself as Clara and the original?

I think that Asylum of the Daleks is further along in Clara's timeline, not the Doctor's - like, she's met him before but he hasn't met her yet (which makes sense because at that point she's a computer genius - and we saw her learn that a few episodes ago). I sort of agree with your theory, but I'm not sure where that puts Victorian governess Clara. Maybe with the possible timeline split with the piece of paper?

Anyway, I really wanted to like this episode, but it felt like it was trying to do too much and ended up not really doing anything.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:04 pm 

gunk wrote:
I think that Asylum of the Daleks is further along in Clara's timeline, not the Doctor's - like, she's met him before but he hasn't met her yet (which makes sense because at that point she's a computer genius - and we saw her learn that a few episodes ago). I sort of agree with your theory, but I'm not sure where that puts Victorian governess Clara. Maybe with the possible timeline split with the piece of paper?

Anyway, I really wanted to like this episode, but it felt like it was trying to do too much and ended up not really doing anything.

Oops...yeah. I meant later on Clara's timeline. I still don't know whether that makes Victorian Clara possible, but I know the Tardis has to have split her into different echoes. That's as far as I can get.

I think all of the episodes, thus far, have tried to do too much in the amount of time allotted. I'll be fine with all the subplots if they eventually coalesce into pieces of the same story...and I do wish they'd pare down the episodes a bit and spend more time with some of the stuff that seems important but isn't fleshed out. It seems that the story arc is probably farther reaching than it has been, but with the same amount of episodes/time. I don't know if this a product of budget, of trying to tie in a bunch of 50th anniversary themes, or just that the primary writers have changed. It's a flaw that isn't bugging me as much as I would've expected it to--I'm willing to wait until the season finale before I judge the plots too heavily. I'm a little too in love with Jenna Louise-Coleman's acting, though, so I'm probably forgiving more than I should.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:08 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm finding the last few episodes a bit meh, which is sad as I love Matt Smith as the doctor.
Just not enthralling me though, maybe it's the writing?
Anyway thought these may amuse people
You may have seen these before but they are very funny, especially the second one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=e ... nomobile=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?client=mv- ... nomobile=1

And on the right hand side are some more links, check out the outtakes, some are brilliant!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:27 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I know there are some of you who are behind on the Who episodes, due to being in different countries, but having been quite disappointed so far with this series I have to say todays episode, The Crimson Horror, was really good.
It was fun, horror, spooky, and well acted. Some great old Who references. Mark Gatiss excelled with this episode.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:21 pm 
Mediocre Tart

STRAX!!!! Strax is my favourite. When he got all pissed at the horse. And the wee Satnav boy! And Jenny (when she got all kick-ass in (p)leather)!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thomas Thomas! That joke was so bad it was good.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Is anyone else a bit confused about what went on in the finale?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:05 am 
Chip Strong

Which bit are you confused by? I thought it was all a bit overly dramatic and convoluted, but felt that I did follow what was going on.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:36 am 

I still hate Clara. It has become full blown hate at this point, I want them to replace her.

I want them to replace her with a regenerated Susan. I'm not 100% sure of her fate but I don't think they ever explicitly said she was no more, plus there have been a couple of references to her recently (like when he took Clara to the rings of Akhaten.) I'm sure someone who knows the original series well will know this better than me.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:56 pm 

Sarah-Jane wrote:
I still hate Clara. It has become full blown hate at this point, I want them to replace her.

I want them to replace her with a regenerated Susan. .

At first, I read this as you wanting a regenerated version of the horse who wants you to respect her life choices (from a Town Called Mercy). I like this idea, now.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:06 pm 
And you never will.

I didn't find it confusing. A bit predictable, in fact? I mean, I still enjoyed it thoroughly, but there was about 10 minutes there that I was like "yes yes, you do that, then she'll do this, blah blah GET ON WITH IT."

I mean, I think it's interesting that the Clara in the Doctor's timeline seems to have retained her memories from all the different lives she lived, so perhaps she knows the Doctor better than anyone now? And is John Hurt the Valeyard?! I mean, it makes sense - he's in the Doctor's time stream, but he isn't a past regeneration (that we know of), so maybe? That was my first thought, but they introduced him "as the Doctor" which would still technically be true if he was the Valeyard, but maybe not?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:14 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Sarah-Jane wrote:

Whaaaaaaaaa?! I love Clara. And that has taken some doing, given my feelings on Amy. I just wish we had gotten more episodes to get to know her is all. Too rushed.

But I do think this is the best finale we've had. I loved it.

poopiebitch wrote:
And is John Hurt the Valeyard?! I mean, it makes sense - he's in the Doctor's time stream, but he isn't a past regeneration (that we know of), so maybe? That was my first thought, but they introduced him "as the Doctor" which would still technically be true if he was the Valeyard, but maybe not?

John Hurt is the confusing. Particularly his introduction as 'The Doctor'. Because... is he? I mean, taking that title... that's the confusing bit. He could be the Doctor before he became the Doctor (ie. the one before Hartnell)... but then that wasn't his name then. He could be the Time War Doctor between McGann and Eccleston? I don't think he's the Valeyard, but eh... The whole thing that's throwing me off is that he was 'introduced' as the 'Doctor'... but he's not, he can't be? By that name, I mean. Not that he's not a version of the current Doctor, but specifically that he can't be called by that name? Well, I know what I mean even if I'm not expressing it in writing. Y'know? YOU KNOW?!?!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm 
And you never will.

But in Trial of a Time Lard they called the Valeyard 'Doctor', didn't they? Or he could be the 'true nine' that he's trying to pretend didn't exist because he had to do such terrible things? I don't know, but someone posted this and it made me laugh out loud:

Nine: "Let the Tardis die. Just let this old box gather dust. No one can open it. No one'll even notice it. Let it become a strange little thing standing on a street corner. And over the years, the world'll move on and the box will be buried."

Moffat: "jk when the doctor dies it becomes a forking enormous tomb like a billion feet high police box because all the dimensions will leak out of it"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 39  Next