| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:37 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

interrobang?! wrote:
jogirl wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
I hope he gets to call the Daleks croissants. Ok, I know that wont happen. But still. YAY!!

I live in hope that this might happen!

Or when he closes the doors of the TARDIS he gets to yell "forkity BYE!!"

Ha ha! Oh god there are endless possibilities!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:53 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

poopiebitch wrote:
fork YEAH, Capaldi! Can I just state for the record that I'm really glad they went with someone a bit older this time? He's gonna be so great.

Agreed, I'm happy they went a little older with this Doctor. Personally I was pulling for a Doctor of color (when Chiwetel Ejiofor's name popped up in speculation I creamed my nerd pants just thinking about it), but I think Capaldi will be awesome in the role. I really liked Matt Smith, but I never grew to love his Doctor, so I'm excited to see what Capaldi does with the character.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm excited for an older doctor! I think this was a great choice!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:18 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I'm definitely satisfied with this choice. I think I've only seen Peter Capaldi in the Pompeii episode and Torchwood, but he was amazing in both. I'm really looking forward to seeing where he takes the Doctor. I'm between shows at the moment (marathoning The Simpson's doesn't count), so I'll look up some of his other work in the meantime. Excited! And super surprised that the internet didn't spoil it for me like it does for everything else ever.

ETA: Oh! Right. He was Sid's dad in Skins. Dug him in that to, as I recall.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:32 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I'm excited for an older doctor! I think this was a great choice!

I am pleased too ... he is older so will suit better the 'world' weary stance I think the Doctor needs to
carry ... also I think he is quite good looking which always helps ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just talked to some of my younger colleagues about this. One of them didn't like the pick because he's old enough to be her dad and therefore she can't have a crush on him. The other two of us think he's good enough to look at and told her she'll come around.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

rachell37 wrote:
I just talked to some of my younger colleagues about this. One of them didn't like the pick because he's old enough to be her dad and therefore she can't have a crush on him. The other two of us think he's good enough to look at and told her she'll come around.

That is an interesting comment to me because I just started watching the post year 2000 revival of Dr. Who. I started watching it as a teenager when all of the doctors were extremely old, homely men, but you rooted for them because they were non-violent and used their mind to solve problems. The new episodes seem to be about making the doctor into nerdy girl heart throbs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 am 
Nailed to the V

It'll be interesting to see how he plays out. I could see him (the actor) taking on more of an Eccleston style role...a more "gritty" doctor but....with Moffat's writing style at the moment, it's more...quirky? I get there are serious bits but they tend to be more along the lines of dramatic speeches and long glances than the just overall slightly cynical overlook of previous times. Which is funny because Moffat's episodes in the RTD era were actually some of the most heart-wrenching of them all (girl in the fireplace anyone?!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

vixki wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how he plays out. I could see him (the actor) taking on more of an Eccleston style role...a more "gritty" doctor

Oh man, I would LOVE that. Eccleston was my first Doctor and I always wanted to see more of him. I want a Doctor who acts like he's seen some shiitake.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:47 am 
WELFARIST!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:26 pm 
And you never will.

amandabear wrote:
I want a Doctor who acts like he's seen some shiitake.

THANK YOU.

And I couldn't care less about how "crushable" the Doctor is. My first Doctor was Tom Baker (I grew up watching repeats, his tenure ended the year I was born), so the purpose was never to swoon over some boyishly handsome Doctor. I'm kind of hoping Capaldi will help bring the show back to its roots a bit, and remind viewers that it was never a love story to begin with, and we don't have to make it one just to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm looking forward to a scary, scary Doctor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

poopiebitch wrote:
And I couldn't care less about how "crushable" the Doctor is. My first Doctor was Tom Baker (I grew up watching repeats, his tenure ended the year I was born), so the purpose was never to swoon over some boyishly handsome Doctor. I'm kind of hoping Capaldi will help bring the show back to its roots a bit, and remind viewers that it was never a love story to begin with, and we don't have to make it one just to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator.

While I did love the Doctor and Rose's relationship, as it were, for the most part I'd be happier if they left out the romantic entanglements. It makes sense for the companions to fall in love with the Doctor - I mean, really, who wouldn't? - but it doesn't make sense the other way around. It's the sort of thing that's never going to have a happy ending for him. And I get tired of seeing them try to pounce (Amy) or make sad puppy eyes (Martha). I'm more interested in the platonic companion relationships - I adored Donna partly for that reason, and I liked Amy much more after Rory started traveling with them. Plus I feel like they always end up picking pretty young female companions because they want there to be some kind of sexual tension, which can get a bit bland.

Ruby Rose wrote:

I hope so!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:07 pm 
And you never will.

amandabear wrote:
While I did love the Doctor and Rose's relationship, as it were, for the most part I'd be happier if they left out the romantic entanglements. It makes sense for the companions to fall in love with the Doctor - I mean, really, who wouldn't? - but it doesn't make sense the other way around. It's the sort of thing that's never going to have a happy ending for him. And I get tired of seeing them try to pounce (Amy) or make sad puppy eyes (Martha). I'm more interested in the platonic companion relationships - I adored Donna partly for that reason, and I liked Amy much more after Rory started traveling with them. Plus I feel like they always end up picking pretty young female companions because they want there to be some kind of sexual tension, which can get a bit bland.

Yes! You said what I was thinking better than I did. I really did love the Doctor and Rose, but then I was like "okay, that's enough" and then the sad puppy eyes from Martha (well put!) made me not like her, because it seemed so out of character for her otherwise. She was smart! And brave! And independent! I hated that they felt the need to drag her down with the whole unrequited love shiitake. So yeah, when Donna was all "well you're not mating with me, sunshine!" I was like YES FINALLY. I also adored Donna for that reason - she loved the Doctor as a friend, and it felt genuine without any stupid sexual tension. And while I don't hate River as a character, I don't love their relationship. It felt like they were just pandering to the masses because the Doctor just HAD to have a love interest and I found the whole thing a bit boring.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

poopiebitch wrote:
Yes! You said what I was thinking better than I did. I really did love the Doctor and Rose, but then I was like "okay, that's enough" and then the sad puppy eyes from Martha (well put!) made me not like her, because it seemed so out of character for her otherwise. She was smart! And brave! And independent! I hated that they felt the need to drag her down with the whole unrequited love shiitake. So yeah, when Donna was all "well you're not mating with me, sunshine!" I was like YES FINALLY. I also adored Donna for that reason - she loved the Doctor as a friend, and it felt genuine without any stupid sexual tension. And while I don't hate River as a character, I don't love their relationship. It felt like they were just pandering to the masses because the Doctor just HAD to have a love interest and I found the whole thing a bit boring.

Martha's sad, dejected unrequited love thing is why she's my least favorite companion thus far. And it's a shame, because like you said, she is smart and brave and awesome on her own, but they just kept having her moon over the Doctor like it was some surprise that this 900+ year old time-traveling space alien didn't automatically fall in love with her. Donna didn't swoon or automatically fall in line. She asked questions. She disagreed with him! She wasn't some girl with a crush, and she wasn't so impressed with him that she didn't expect to be treated like an equal. She was so awesome! Rose felt right to me and I loved that story, but you can't have the Doctor develop more-than-platonic feelings for every companion he take onboard or that story loses all its meaning, you know? Plus it'd just kind of make him seem like a douchey space hors d'oeuvre (or a whole different kind of companion, if you're a Firefly fan).

River is kind of a grey area - I like her, and I think her story is interesting, because it allows them to sort of explore the relationship stuff without actually having the Doctor in a relationship, since their timing is always off (literally). I don't really buy it as some kind of epic love story, though, and Lard knows I don't want to see the Doctor and River mooning over each other. It seems more like a playfully antagonistic relationship, and that's how I'd like it to stay.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:08 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Ruby Rose wrote:

YES.

I super-hope he'll keep his accent too, but part of me doubts it due to the Tucker issues. Mind, you do not mess with a dude from Possilpark, Daleks! You forking even try that shiitake and he will pure nut you back into the time vortex, you egg-whisk-toting piles of shiitake.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's already been worked into the Fringe show (which I saw last night - woo!).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:19 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

rachell37 wrote:

It's already been worked into the Fringe show (which I saw last night - woo!).

LOVE this!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

!!!!!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063
Quote:
A number of early episodes of Doctor Who, which were believed to have been permanently lost, have been returned to the BBC.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wow! Thanks for posting. I've had dreams a few times in my life about finding lost Star Trek TOS episodes. This is the next best thing. Especially since the 21st century Dr. Who, while nice ( I'm only up to David Tenant ) seems to lack the flavor of the old Dr. Who.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:30 pm 
Mediocre Tart

YOU GUYYYYYYYYYSSSS!!!!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:07 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

That trailer is awesome! I'm so excited - I can't believe we have to wait over a month!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:18 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP
it's the doctor who quiz! Who are you in the world of Dr Who?
http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctor-who/ex ... ld-you-be/

I am proud to be a Dalek. EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:28 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I'm an Ood. Wish I was a better singer!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:34 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I got the Tardis! Tardis blue is probably my favorite color, so I'm super satisfied.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 42  Next