| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:06 am 
Level 7 Vegan

That was terribly dull. I'm glad Matt Smith is gone, and (hopefully) Karen Gillan forever. I like them both as actors, but their Who characters...meh and super meh.
Moffat bores me to internet surf while watching, something I didn't do as a child during old Who or as a teen watching new Who.

I like the schoolkid friendship of Clara with the Doctor, and hope it kinda continues with Capaldi. Really, I think this show would benefit extremely from Moffat not being in charge. I'm sick of epic monsters being background noise to boring stories about nothing and a fork ton of exposition.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:14 am 
Mediocre Tart

missdelaney wrote:
That was terribly dull. I'm glad Matt Smith is gone, and (hopefully) Karen Gillan forever. I like them both as actors, but their Who characters...meh and super meh.
Moffat bores me to internet surf while watching, something I didn't do as a child during old Who or as a teen watching new Who.

I like the schoolkid friendship of Clara with the Doctor, and hope it kinda continues with Capaldi. Really, I think this show would benefit extremely from Moffat not being in charge. I'm sick of epic monsters being background noise to boring stories about nothing and a fork ton of exposition.

Hahahahahahaaaa!!!!

*snort*

I mean... unless you weren't actually joking... but then I... no.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Surely sarcasm. Surely?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

missdelaney wrote:

Don't you pick on Missdelaney!

I never finished the Matt Smith episodes because yet another River Song episode popped up and I was done. I can't stand her. The Tennant run was ruined for me because of the endless stream of companions that fell in love with the doctor. That got tiresome. (Especially Rose freakin' Tyler.)

I will watch at least some of the Capaldi episodes. I have hopes they will be more interesting than Matt Smith.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Even Clara was at least attracted to the Doctor. I suspect that now that we have an older Doctor, the companions won't all fall in love with him (though personally I'd rather Capaldi than Smith, but whevs).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

YES!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:26 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Yay! He looks so badass.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:00 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I'm a Timelord! I walk in forkin' eternity, pal!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:57 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

interrobang?! wrote:
I'm a Timelord! I walk in forkin' eternity, pal!

Amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

rainy day, i read all 39 pages of this thread in <24 hours. :-)

neither of us watched DW when we were kids, and just a few months ago decided to binge watch the reboot, and we're big huge fans now.

i have one thing to mention. so... when river gave him all her regeneration power, why didn't it give him all her lives too? that seems silly that it didn't.

i took the quiz, and i'm totally the tardis. woot woot!

it makes sense that matt smith's doctor would have snogged with his lady companions. he had a childlike demeanor and was really excited at the kisses. it was part of his personality. kissing is cool!

oh. also, it made me sad that the doctor wasn't straightforward and didn't ask young amy whether she wanted to interrupt the timeline where she was left in the red waterfall. (also weirds me out that she didn't seem affected by the decision. she just picked up and seemed normal.)

one last thing. river showed up to give amy the empty journal at her wedding. so, how did she know to show up if the doctor's existence was all hinging on amy's memory? i guess she showed up from the future where she already knew about the doctor? timey wimey?

i lied. (rule #1) how did river get to the future to learn archaeology? did the doctor bring her there? (she didn't have her vortex thingy yet)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:31 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Bringing this back to the top because BOWTIES ARE COOL.

New Orleans in Green, a blog about vegan life in Nola!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:39 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

OK really though. I get all my Who from Netflix, which means I'm like a year or something behind. I've seen through where the doctor transforms into Capaldi. So, the next season already started right? Or did it? I'M SO CONFUSED.

New Orleans in Green, a blog about vegan life in Nola!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:14 pm 

pretty sure you're caught up then. capaldi starts now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have my tickets booked for the cinema screening of the first Capaldi episode on Saturday...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:42 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Ruby Rose wrote:
I have my tickets booked for the cinema screening of the first Capaldi episode on Saturday...

It's too late for me to join you now, isn't it? Bum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:08 pm 

psst. non-brits who don't have cable. visit hola.com *wink wink* starts at 2:50 EST.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:08 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Ruby Rose wrote:

Me too! I'm so excited - just 6 and a half hours to go!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:30 am 

oops. sorry hola.org. (i'm so .com brainwashed)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

No cinema viewing for me, but I'm joining you all in spirit tonight, curled up by my laptop and watching the show. So excited!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

BBC America was playing Doctor Who all week so I caught up on Matt Smith's doctor. Fell in love. Currently watching the premiere on my TV, super excited.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:31 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Strax 4 evah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

can we talk about this yet? will I get in trouble for spoilers?

Spoiler: show
just watched the first ep: I really like Capaldi as the doctor! like, a LOT, but it's still so hard for me to watch through the mess which is Moffat's writing. especially his writing of women.
It's like, Capaldi in the RTD era would be SO GOOD. It's exhausting how many snide but very subtle sexist bullshiitake things were thrown in to that whole episode, I was so torn because Capaldi in that role was DELIGHTFUL, but Moffat is still a slimy dill weed.
He fails to imagine humanity complexly at all in his writing, an activity which was the heart and soul of the series up until he took over. I'm hopeful that there will be an upswing with such a perfect casting decision, but like, his writing is filled with so much shiitake that makes me feel nauseous.

it's almost worse they have such a great actor in the role because I'm pretty sure every episode is going to be a heartbreaking dissertation on how wonderful this show can be and how much the head writer is bringing it down.

edit: to be clear! it was charming enough as an episode, and the doctor/clara stuff was great and I am excited for this new direction in the way they relate to each other! and again SO VERY PLEASED with Capaldi as the doctor!!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:51 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

No spoiler tags required, boober - per the guidelines, it has aired, it's available for unfettered discussion.

I was really disappointed the monster was a rehash from 10's Girl in the Fireplace, and Clara annoys the tits off me, but I loved, loved, loved Capaldi's doctor. Especially the bits where the ranting stopped and he was stone-cold, unblinking and very alien.

Also STRAX! STRAX! Best character on telly this year!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:31 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ruby Rose wrote:
Clara annoys the tits off me, but I loved, loved, loved Capaldi's doctor. Especially the bits where the ranting stopped and he was stone-cold, unblinking and very alien.

Also STRAX! STRAX! Best character on telly this year!
We had a Doctor Who day and watched a few episodes with Ten. He and Donna were so, so good together. Amy Pond was a bit lame at times, but the Amy-Rory-River interaction was so very good. I never really liked Eleven. He was too Quirky. I know a big part of his character was that he was basically going through a mid life crisis as he was feeling tired and old and hating it and acting erratically to feel young again, but it was all too twee.

Clara seems to actually have a bit of personality this time round. Not enough, but she's passable now. I still don't think Steampunk Lesbian Bestiality Force are quite right, but they're welcome silliness. Strax's medical exam on Clara was brilliant. "Are you wearing a hat?" really made me laugh.

I could swear that Twelve was using vocal ticks from previous Doctors. It might just have been me wanting to hear it, though. So far, so good. I am... cautiously optimistic.

Also WHO WAS THE WOMAN AT THE END? River Song (seeing as the Silence in the Library left her in science-induced heaven, kinda)? Romana? Ianto? Please be Ianto...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:35 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I'm still down with Clara, and I'm down with Capaldi (except he's not calling anyone a croissant and that's kind of weird to see him as).

the writing and the production kill me though. it feels so Hollywood/slapstick, where there are dumb jokes thrown in for no reason and everything is dumbed right down, complete with aural cues for how you're supposed to feel at any given moment.

hell, I could probably forgive the writing if they toned down the production and treated the audience with any intelligence at all. arghdahhdhghghghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next