| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun May 01, 2016 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Star Wars Force Awakens (full of spoilers)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:49 pm 
WRETCHED

So lots of things but it was weird how Rey became a force master in seconds. I'm guessing her flashbacks helped there.

Now go...

Post subject: Re: Star Wars Force Awakens (full of spoilers)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:12 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I didn't even care about that much- it was weird- but I think it was to show that there aren't any masters, just kids trying to become them. The master is in hiding.
That's how the movie felt to me, with all the excitement and hope and new experiences they all faced.

It was a wonderful homage to A New Hope that still had a total life of its own. I loved the enthusiasm of everyone. The characters felt so real.

My only complaint is minimal, and it's only because I'm not a huge Adam Driver fan. The second he took off the helmet, I was instantly unafraid of him as a bad guy. Which was likely intentional.
Domnall Gleeson's General was way scarier.
Oh, and their "subtlety" leading up to who Kylo is was so heavy handed, as was what I'm assuming will be Rey's parentage.

I cried when Rey picked up that lightsaber. My boyfriend leaned over to ask me what was wrong and all I could manage was, "It's a girl."

The Jedi hero is a girl. I have spent my entire life clinging to Mulan because she has literally been the only heroine I've ever kind of related to and wanted to aspire to be like, in film. I had to resort to books, which isn't the same. My generation didn't have badass heroines like the one just before. I was too young for Sigourney Weaver et al.

It's a forking girl. So I'm going to keep tearing up about that, and even if this movie had been half as good, I would have cried because of that.

To see a girl know her shiitake and take no shiitake, yet still be vulnerable, hopeful, broken and yet strong, and not jaded... She is my hero. The one I never got.

Also, Finn and Poe are going to be excellent adventure companions. They were hilarious together.

And BB8!!! When it electrocuted Finn! And gave him a thumbs up! I loved seeing a droid be so humanlike. It really incorporated them as just another species. And Rey being so protective of it!

God, and her disdain over Finn grabbing her hand- "I know how to run without you holding my hand." So. forking. Perfect.

I saw the 3D on accident, and I enjoyed it! I hate 3D but this was done very well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:49 pm 
WRETCHED

I just figured it was a start the conversation:)

Just based on what commercials, I figured Rey was the Jedi.

I also knew Kylo was going to kill Han. I was so confused as why Harrison, who had such a disdain for the Star Wars franchise, was so onboard. Purely, he was able to get himself written out in a way that he helped figure out.

And I do love BB 8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm 

I was definitely trying to avoid getting too into the trailers, so I figured it could have been any of the three of them. Even watching it, when she refused the saber, I thought "oh no. Don't you do this to me Abrams." Then she literally TOOK it from Kylo (mentally, but still) and it was just so great.

Yeah, I had no emotions about Han dying. It was a polite ending for his character, but it wasn't overly emotional.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:47 pm 
Hip Goiter

This is my version of every omnivorous restaurant critic starting a review of a veg restaurant with "I eat TONSSS of meat, but even I thought this was really good." Okay, it's not as bad as that and I like to think I'm not as much of a douche, but anyway. I don't remember anything that happened in the first 6, let alone the real 3. I know Luke and Leia are twinsies, I know Han had an adorable giant teddy bear friend, I know Luke I am your father. That's all.

SO, point is, you don't have to know anything to enjoy this movie, and enjoy it TREMENDOUSLY. I thought it was as close to perfect as possible. Love love BB8. Omg. Love Rey. Love Fin. I cannot believe that I actually liked Oscar Isaac in something, and a lot!! And Adam Driver as a villain was somehow at his most likeable too!! All around amazing. BB8 knocking on R2, giving the lighter thumbs up, and OMG when he saw Oscar and went as fast as possible to him (that made me cry, he's like a puppy)? And of course so much more.

Oh and I thought Adam Driver was good casting, because this plot was like "We Need To Talk About Kevin" but x5000 and so it was fitting that they look alike.
Everything was red underlined 100 emoji.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:43 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i certainly did not expect to cry as much as i did.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:00 pm 
Dead by dawn

RandiJM wrote:
I don't remember anything that happened in the first 6, let alone the real 3. I know Luke and Leia are twinsies, I know Han had an adorable giant teddy bear friend, I know Luke I am your father. That's all.

SO, point is, you don't have to know anything to enjoy this movie, and enjoy it TREMENDOUSLY.

Perfect. Biker boy wants to go see it and my recollection of the first six movies is just about yours exactly!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:45 am 
Ninja Master

OK so I know that Harrison wanted to be killed off in Return of the Jedi so I shouldn't be shocked but I still was. HG and I were both pretty emotional about it. I sat there for about 5 minutes with my gob open. And I thought it was really sad when Leia obviously felt the loss.

Kylo Ren, what a little dickbag.

Overall we loved it and I'm soooo glad it was good, after the shitfests that were the prequels. I thought it was a really strong cast, no weak links and the main characters worked really well. We're gonna go see it again after Christmas.

Did you guys know about Daniel Craig and Simon Pegg's cameos? I saw an article about it the other day.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:31 am 
WRETCHED

I didn't recognize Daniel Craig's voice but I did read about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:00 pm 
WRETCHED

Something interesting is I guess it seemed pretty heavily implied that Rey is Luke's daughter but after talking to some relatives last night who had seen the movie, it seemed to them that it was something still up in the air. I guess Luke's lightsaber belonging to her and her getting visions when she touched it, seemed to me that she would be Luke's daughter. Of course we will learn more in the next movie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

linanil wrote:
Something interesting is I guess it seemed pretty heavily implied that Rey is Luke's daughter but after talking to some relatives last night who had seen the movie, it seemed to them that it was something still up in the air. I guess Luke's lightsaber belonging to her and her getting visions when she touched it, seemed to me that she would be Luke's daughter. Of course we will learn more in the next movie.

this is what i thought, but my partner (HUGE Star Wars fan) thought there were several reasons that wouldn't completely make sense. he didn't elaborate much on it, though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:02 pm 
WRETCHED

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
linanil wrote:

this is what i thought, but my partner (HUGE Star Wars fan) thought there were several reasons that wouldn't completely make sense. he didn't elaborate much on it, though.

Well I'm guessing the reason it wouldn't make sense is that Jedi are supposed to shun relationships because it is a path to the dark side. But in the past 40 years, it would've been possible for Luke to go that path and to turn back.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So. I guess I'm the only one here who didn't love it? I thought it was pretty good, certainly better than the prequels, but lacked the wow factor of the original trilogy. Then again I'm a lot older now than when I saw the first three, so it's harder to wow me.

I agree Rey is probably Luke's daughter. My husband speculated that she might be a twin of Kylo's, but when I said, no, she's probably Luke's daughter he agreed that was more likely. He also speculated that, since Finn was taken from his birth family as a young child, it's possible that he is Lando's son.

Han's death was a big downer. Not just that he died but to be killed by his own son. If Harrison Ford wanted out that's the only way it makes sense; otherwise they should have moved heaven and earth to keep him, because I had to pick the #1 thing that made this feel like a Star Wars movie, I'd pick Harrison Ford. I just can't imagine the next two movies without his wisecracks.

My husband suggested that maybe Harrison survived after all? It seems unlikely though.

The new actors all did a good job with their roles, especially Daisy Ridley. I thought Adam Driver was bad casting though, because he does not look like he could be Han and Leia's biological son. They should have at least dyed his hair or something.

I dunno, this movie was missing something for me. Maybe Luke was what it was missing? Or some Yoda-like sage? It was disappointing that Luke was MIA just when he was most needed. I get that there should be a passing of the torch but I would have liked to see him doing something more active and valuable to the fight against the dark side while everyone was searching for him.

Beyond the cool-for-their-time special effects and the mythical storyline, what made the original trilogy strong was the verbal sparring between Han and Luke, and Han and Leia. The tension between Han's cynicism and Luke and Leia's idealism. If Han is taken out of the equation, I don't see where all that goes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:50 pm 
WRETCHED

I agree that it wasn't as good as the original trilogy but I think it is a way of handing over the reigns to a new generation while bringing back some of our favorites. I agree that I wanted to see Luke more than as a lead in to a second movie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:54 pm 

I have to make mention of this somewhere: So far, of all the people I've spoken to about the movie, every woman and POC I've spoken to loved it, and every white man I've spoken to said it was "okay" or "a disappointing remake." Not to say that holds true, but it's been interesting to me to see that play out in my life.

My response to Rey being Luke's daughter is spoilered because it's in the extended universe:
Spoiler: show
In the stuff-that-used-to-be-canon, Luke gets married to a woman named Mara Jade and they had a son named Ben (Kylo Ren's birth name/how Luke knew Obi Wan). So it isn't out of the realm of possibility at all, though I do hope Rey isn't his daughter.

I do want to say I'm pretty over people saying it wasn't original enough for them, because what else was Abrams supposed to do? He toed the line, I think, really well. If he went too out there, people would've hated it and complained that it wasn't true to the originals. He definitely played it safe, while still invigorating an old story with new characters who can branch from here into an epic adventure of their own, but I wasn't at all disappointed by the parallels and homage-y-ness of the movie.
If he went too out there on originality, too many people would have found too many issues with it.

eta: maybe it's because I'm only 23, so I saw Star Wars years after they were released, but I think this one is just as good as the originals, and I have high hopes for this trilogy being just as good (if not better) than the original. I didn't relate to/look up to/want to be Leia ever. She was a princess and, while she was cool and all, she was still basically just a love interest for BOTH Luke and Han with some snarky dialogue and an ability to act like a competent adult.
But like I've mentioned upthread, this movie, for me, is so amazing because of Rey as a character. Just the fact that her and FInn are the leads makes this movie shine so brightly.

Last edited by missdelaney on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:00 pm 
WRETCHED

I wouldn't say the white male was true of those that went to the premiere because there were a lot of white males there and everyone I talked to said they loved it. Granted, most of them, except my husband, were from the 501st who are heavily devoted to Star Wars. Although males in my family aren't white, they liked it as well.

I also thought that the extended universe wasn't supposed to be part of the movie series, so I can understand it being there but I wouldn't invest heavily in conflicts not occurring.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:02 pm 

linanil wrote:
I also thought that the extended universe wasn't supposed to be part of the movie series, so I can understand it being there but I wouldn't invest heavily in conflicts not occurring.

No, it's no longer canon, hence the "used to be canon." I was simply using it as a basis for saying it's not at all unlikely, because it does have precedence.

I was just sharing an anecdote from my own life. I'm sure there are plenty of white men who liked it, too. So far, though, my boyfriend and my roommate are the only two.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

linanil wrote:
I wouldn't say the white male was true of those that went to the premiere because there were a lot of white males there and everyone I talked to said they loved it. Granted, most of them, except my husband, were from the 501st who are heavily devoted to Star Wars. Although males in my family aren't white, they liked it as well.

I'm female! There are legitimate reasons to state that the movie, while pretty good, isn't as great as the originals. It doesn't have to be put down to sexism or racism.

Rey was a very good character and I liked Finn. I was a kid when the first three came out; maybe today's kids will have a similar experience with it to mine with the originals. To me this wasn't that exciting and I thought Abrams did a somewhat better job with the Star Trek reboot. That movie had a lot of camaraderie between the characters and this one had less. To be fair, though, Star Trek was self-contained and this is only the first leg of a three part journey.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:26 pm 

Again, I state that I was only sharing an anecdote from my personal life I found interesting, not an overall sexist or racist thing. Please stop making that assumption.

I don't understand how you saw less camaraderie between Rey and Finn? I thought their relationship was incredibly well done.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:19 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

missdelaney wrote:
Again, I state that I was only sharing an anecdote from my personal life I found interesting, not an overall sexist or racist thing. Please stop making that assumption.

I don't understand how you saw less camaraderie between Rey and Finn? I thought their relationship was incredibly well done.

There was camaraderie between Rey and Finn and between Finn and Po also. But I was missing the group camaraderie of Luke / Leia / Han / Chewie / Obi Wan / Droids. There was really no sense of a group coalescing (as well as arguing) like there was in the first Star Wars film or in the Star Trek reboot.

I missed the humor at C-3PO's expense, too. There really wasn't any in this film.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:50 am 
Naked Under Apron

my white cishet male partner's one-sentence review: "one significant flaw, but overall really good." which, coming from him, is a ringing endorsement. (the flaw being the lack of information conveyed to the viewers about the Republic before the First Order destroyed the planets they were based on, thus not having the impact that the destruction of Alderaan had in A New Hope. which i agree with.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

This movie is rising in my estimation because I keep thinking about it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

am i the only one COMPLETELY traumatized when they killed Han off??? im like still envisioning him popping up in the next movie. i kept praying for a rescue ala Empire Strikes Back after Luke loses his hand and falls down the big hole.

obviously he's dead but i cant like compute it right now.
i love love love the 3 original movies and have seen them 1000 times but i guess i never really got into any of the actors or background stuff so i had no idea Harrison Ford isnt a fan of the franchise. i didnt know he wanted to get killed off in Return of the Jedi so i guess learning that helps a little if that's what Harrison wanted (BUT STILL!!!!!) i guess otherwise maybe he wouldnt have signed on.

i guess i kind of dont understand Harrison's point of view on that. out of the three main actors he had the biggest career outside of Star Wars. so it's not like he's known only for being Han Solo. i would understand more if Mark Hamill had that view of not wanting to be a part of it anymore since he really never had any fame other than Star Wars.

i absolutely LOVED the movie up until that point. i loved how much Han and Chewie were in it and the dialogue was all so perfect and it was kind of a rehashing of the first movie but in a good way somehow.
i almost peed myself laughing at C3POs reintroduction into the film.

i was so worried that Luke was Kylo Ren (that name is really hard for me to remember because there is a band called Rilo Kiley and it's all too close and i stumble over it) because of some conspiracy theories prior to the release of the movie based on the trailers and the lack of Mark Hamill on the posters. the conspiracy theorists who came up with the idea made a great case for it and i was pretty much sold on it and if you watch this new movie thinking that there is actually a case to keep believing it. you know he is connected to the original characters somehow. someone says something about family, so when the big huge Gollum guy was like "Han Solo, your father" i was like PHEW!!!!!!

i also think Rey is Luke's daughter and there was a million different things to point us that way but for most of the movie i also thought she was Kylo Ren's twin sister, like someone mentioned above. i used to work in a bookstore and i read a bunch of the Star Wars novels that came out. they were only "official" in the sense that they were allowed to use the title Star Wars and the characters but a popular theme seemed to be that Han and Leia had twins (boy and a girl) and they both had the force. so i kept thinking of that and the fact that Rey was so good with the mechanical stuff and Han kept giving her "the look" made me think she was his daughter. it didnt even occur to me that she could be Luke's daughter til part way through the movie my husband leaned over and said he thought she was Luke's daughter. then i thought there was mounting evidence to prove that. the hallucination she had with the lightsaber, that she knew in her mind where Luke was (Kylo Ren says he could see the ocean and the island when he was in her head which is where Luke ended up being), and the biggest thing to me was Leia's reaction to her. if that was Leia's daughter i would have thought she would have had a stronger reaction and possibly also told her. i mean they definitely had a connection but i dont think it was mother/daughter connection, especially since Leia was so adamant about wanting her son back.

i would be flat out shocked if she isnt either Leia or Luke's daughter i feel like we are definitely being pointed that way, most likely Luke.

my husband also had the theory that Finn is Lando's son. at first i was like "uh why because he's black?" but it does seem everything in the Star Wars films are connected somehow.

one thing i found kinda distracting is how much Daisy Ridley looks like Keira Knightley who i think looks like Natalie Portman. the more the movie went on and the more i heard the British accent all i saw was Keira Knightley and i kept thinking "does the world need another Natalie Portman/Keira Knightley doppleganger??" then i remembered Natalie Portman would be Rey's grandmother (assuming she is either Leia or Luke's daughter) so that was a bit of lucky casting i guess. (i thought the actress was great i just kept thinking how much she looked like Keira Knightley).

i thought the actor's who played Finn and Rey were great and i think we're definitely being led to believe they will have a love connection. im not sold on Poe i think maybe because he wasnt in it much.

OH ALSO!! the very first scene of the movie with Poe on Jakku with the older dude who gives him the map. are we supposed to know who that old dude is??? the movie made me feel like we had seen his character before but i had no idea whom he was supposed to be. (just some Rebel dude?)

and another part i was confused about is Kylo Ren says they have the (almost) complete map that leads to Skywalker based on old data from the Empire. why did the empire have some map that leads to where Luke currently is? that makes no sense. is it because the belief is that he is at some original Jedi temple?

i hope Mark Hamill has a big role in the next one (and i assume he does) i love how well balanced this one was with having the old characters up to their shenanagins but also having the new characters be the main characters. i think that is one of the many things episodes 1-3 was missing. they tried to like force new lovable characters on you (you like quirky side kicks like C3PO? heres Jar Jar Binks!). i also think the amount of big name talent in episodes 1-3 was distracting (Hayden Christiansen! Natalie Portman! Ewan McGregor! hey we even got Samuel l Jackson as a jedi!)

that and just a terrible script......

anywho i loved the movie so much! it brought back a lot of the magic of the first three (though i dont think it was better). i am right in the age bracket of people who grew up on Star Wars though so i think that's part of it.

i just read a little bit ago that both Ewan McGregor and Alec Guiness' voices were used in that lightsaber hallucination scene Rey has. i thought that was cool. Ewan McGregor i guess they called in to do a tiny bit of voice over work and somehow they edited Alec Guiness saying "afraid" to get him to sound like he is saying "Rey"

cool stuff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

LFL wrote:

I dunno, this movie was missing something for me. Maybe Luke was what it was missing? Or some Yoda-like sage? It was disappointing that Luke was MIA just when he was most needed. I get that there should be a passing of the torch but I would have liked to see him doing something more active and valuable to the fight against the dark side while everyone was searching for him.

i agree this seems out of character for Luke but i guess the only way i reconcile it in my mind is otherwise they would have no story ;-)
im guessing in the next one we will see some backstory with the training of Kylo Ren and why Luke decides just to disappear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

also!!!! i also COMPLTELY LOVED the badass new Jedi who takes no shiitake is a girl!!
that just warmed my heart so much