| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: House of Cards
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
Hip Goiter

Am I losing it or did I really not find a thread for this already???!!! Those may be unrelated questions.

Ummm wowwww I am kind of into it! I am on episode 5. I did NOT want KPax (my forever nickname for Kevin Spacey) and Zoe to have sex ughhhh I thought we were going to avoid that kind of dynamic but of course not. Other than that, I am fully on board and intrigued. Damn politics are corrupt like a biznitch.

Laughfrodisiac

Post subject: Re: House of Cards
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:30 pm 
WRETCHED

oh keep watching... zoe is there for a reason... (all I'll say!) I'm surprised we don't have a thread, it is one of my favorite shows. I'm waiting for the next season release.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:18 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

oh, it is SO great! I am jealous that you're just watching it for the first time now!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:41 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Claire Underwood 5eva.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:45 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I love the original series with Ian Richardson as Francis Urquart, but hadn't gotten around to watching the American interpretation until I was stuck on an airplane with a miserable cold last week and watched 6 episodes in a row. Since getting home - still with that &^%$# cold, which will not go away - I've finished the first season and just started the second. I like it, although Spacey lacks Richardson's reptilian charisma, and the Macbeth and Richard III analogies are painted with broader, less subtle strokes than they were in the UK version; in fact, this show is a lot more "soap operatic" on the whole. That said, I think it was a smart move to make the lead character a member of the putatively "liberal" party (rather than the conservative Tory of the original); it complicates the narrative in interesting ways, and let's face it - if Francis Underwood were a Republican, current audiences wouldn't even blink at his corrupt shenanigans. I also like that they've given Claire her own career and agenda that don't always align precisely with her husband's; Urquart's wife is much more a Lady Macbeth figure, working behind the scenes to further his designs (the affair with the reporter is at least partially her idea, as I recall). And the actress who plays Zoe is exactly the right amount of annoying - her analogue in the UK version winds up getting thrown off a building; I'm curious to find out what's in store for Ms. Barnes. Good stuff!