| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is this book?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Inspired by Erika's question, this has been bugging me for a while because I can't figure it out.

I think I read it for school in 4th or 5th grade. It was the story of two Chinese kids who had immigrated to San Francisco (I think). The specifics I remember is that the girl chose the name of the government office worker lady (Shirley?) as her "American" name and her brother chose the name of the street outside (Jackson, I think). And there was a joke about how they could have ended up as Brunhilde and Battery. I also remember them being weirded out by milk ("cow juice") and a scene where they went to a neighbor's house for a dinner party and peeled the strings off the celery from the veggie & dip platter and they thought it was really weird that the whiteys hadn't done this. Then they went out for milkshakes or something.

The internet wants me to believe that it is In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson, but I'm 99% sure that it's not because I don't remember the journey to the US being part of the story or that it took place in New York. And that character doesn't seem to have a brother.

Post subject: Re: What is this book?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:31 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I'm glad I inspired your question! And sorry I can't help. That sounds like a good book, though. Does it take place during the turn of the century (in other words, does it incorporate the 1906 earthquake?)?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It definitely seemed modern within the context of when I read the book (late 80's) or when it was written (70's/80's maybe?), at least to my naive mind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I will search, Mel. If I can't figure it out, I will ask the children's library list-serv from the ALA. They know all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:14 pm 
Chip Strong

I didn't know whether I should revive this thread or make a new one. I want help identifying two books.

The first is a children's book. It's about a brother and sister. At first (I think) the brother is a doll, and the sister a little girl. Then he turns into a real human, a sailor, and goes to sea. I think the sister is in an orphanage, could be a boarding school or an aunt's house or something. When the siblings reunite, the sister turns into a doll. I don't remember how it ends. I think the original is in English, even though I read it in Swedish as a kid.

The second is probably a young adult book. It's about two brothers (probably twins) who receive a ship in a bottle each as presents when they're babies. There is some sort of connection between their fates and the condition of the ships. They go to work or are apprenticed young. One of them I think is framed and accused of murder. I think it's set in the Victorian era.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:33 pm 
WRETCHED

Well I think I found the first one

http://www.amazon.com/Amys-Eyes-Richard ... 0060232196

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I remember the doll eyes book!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:07 am 
Naked Under Apron

i wonder if the book in the OP is the same one i'm thinking of - i remember two sisters whose parents emigrated from China (can't remember if the girls were born in the US or China) and they're fluent in both English (printed in italics) and Chinese (in plain text). does that ring a bell?

ETA: okay, it probably isn't the same one, but i'm interested to see if anyone else knows the children's/young adult book i'm talking about.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I know after I post this I'll probably remember but there was a book that used to be my favorite when I was younger but haven't been able to remember the name of in quiet some time. It's a children's book about a little girl who goes out into nature to play and a she talks/plays with various animals, she picks up different qualities about them (like she gets wings, etc) and then at the end of the book her mother washes them all away.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:28 am 
Chip Strong

linanil wrote:

Yes! Now to see if the library has it. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

When I was a kid in Italy, I used to love a TV show about a young boy who lived in a Scandinavian country (most likely Sweden). He was a good kid in a farming family who would get in trouble pretty often, and then relegated to a woodshop/barn for punishment, where he would spend his time carving out beautiful wooden figurines. I think his name was Emil.

It was based on a novel, and I would love to read the book/s. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:54 pm 
Chip Strong

Angelina wrote:
When I was a kid in Italy, I used to love a TV show about a young boy who lived in a Scandinavian country (most likely Sweden). He was a good kid in a farming family who would get in trouble pretty often, and then relegated to a woodshop/barn for punishment, where he would spend his time carving out beautiful wooden figurines. I think his name was Emil.

It was based on a novel, and I would love to read the book/s. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Emil books by Astrid Lindgren.