| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Runway (spoilers)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:33 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Beanitarian wrote:
Did anyone else catch Helen's comment to Kate about how much she ate at brunch, basically, "You're too fat to be eating that"? Fork that.

That rubbed me the wrong way, too.

I thought Dom's second look made the model look like she had a growth on the side of the torso, not exactly flattering, but I get that she only had an hour to put it together.

I'm hoping Bradon makes it to the finale, I like him a lot and he seems like a nice guy.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I pretty much found myself rolling my eyes this entire episode. Apparently Southerners all wear plaid dresses and like to "play in the forest." WHO KNEW? I've never gotten the impression that Belk carries "southern" style clothing, so much as they're just 5-10 years behind what's currently in style. The only difference I can really think of as far as fashion is concerned is that we're less likely to wear heavy fabrics for most of the year, because we have pretty short mild winters. I mean, sure, you'll find people in boots and camo if you venture out into rural areas, but I'm assuming that's not their target audience here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:40 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

bookwormbethie wrote:
a helen-kate-dom top three would be a very fun fashion show.

I think that's where we're headed. They've been the most consistently good of the group that's left. And I'd be completely okay with any of them winning. Sure, Helen's kinda a bisque, but the girl's got talent. Dom is my favorite, because she has a fun point of view and seems like a genuinely sweet person.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:05 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

creep wrote:
I mean, sure, you'll find people in boots and camo if you venture out into rural areas, but I'm assuming that's not their target audience here.

Well, you can find people like that in Wal-Mart in CA to be fair! :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:52 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

belk belk belk belk belk BLECH!

zelavie wrote:
I cannot comprehend how Alexandria's monstrosity was deemed safe. She should have been sent home on the spot for that.

Totally. I have no idea why they thought Dom's was worse than that!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

zelavie wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
a helen-kate-dom top three would be a very fun fashion show.

I think that's where we're headed. They've been the most consistently good of the group that's left. And I'd be completely okay with any of them winning. Sure, Helen's kinda a bisque, but the girl's got talent. Dom is my favorite, because she has a fun point of view and seems like a genuinely sweet person.

yes, dom does seem like a genuinely sweet person.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

big happy sigh. ken finally sent home. wonder if the designer's had a party that night to celebrate ;) i truly thought that alexander was going home. maybe ken's final outburst and tim mentioning that he had anger management issues, finally got him sent home.

helen's model was gorgeous afterwards. although her model has the most physical transformation, it was her gown that sent her over the top and to the win. in the hand's of another designer, things could have went very wrong, i.e. alexander's weird suit.

i almost always like what kate designs, but i did not like kate's outfit.

justin's dress was really constructed well and i liked the signature detail.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I was pretty shocked Alexander didn't go home. I like Alexander, and he's a much better designer than Ken, but that suit was pretty awful. But Ken is almost always on the bottom so I guess there's that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:00 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

And they would have had to keep paying for that single room. And I imagine they might have been losing PAs by that point, after having been screamed at by both Ken and Sandro.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:48 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

creep wrote:
I've never gotten the impression that Belk carries "southern" style clothing, so much as they're just 5-10 years behind what's currently in style.

Yeah - my local Belk is dirty and all the clothes are terrible.

I didn't think Ken's dress was the worst. And Helen's model did look great at the end but I wasn't the biggest fan of that hair cut - did they bring in Nick A r ro j o or what? (weird spacing to avoid awkward kfisher)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:13 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

bye bye ken! will not be missed!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Why would you go to Project Runway and ASK FOR A SUIT? I feel like what you currently need in your wardrobe isn't really relevant. Just let the designers make you something awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

zelavie wrote:
And they would have had to keep paying for that single room. And I imagine they might have been losing PAs by that point, after having been screamed at by both Ken and Sandro.

oh yeah, I forgot about that part. what the fizzle was up with Ken getting his own room?!!?!? I honestly do not think Alexander acted inappropriately at all. Ken is so %R#@$#@$ messed up. Alexander is just giving his just desserts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:01 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I think they probably decided to isolate Ken to cut down on the chance that he would have someone to lash out on. Even though he had been getting along with Justin.

Even though Alexander performed really poorly this week, I think that the designers probably took into account the fact that Ken has been consistently in the bottom and Alexander has been mostly safe...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:29 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Tim Gunn seems to get the fat shaming award for the "regular people" challenge. Between being all "don't touch the snacks, fatties!" and "oooh, a large graphic pattern on someone over a size 10 generally looks like putting a tablecloth over a whale" (I paraphrase) I kinda wanted to strangle him.

I don't think Ken's outfit was the worst, but he's been consistently bad to mediocre, so even looking past the personality issues I'm not that sad to see him go. My predictions: I think the next eliminees will be Alexander and Alexandra (not sure what order), then Justin. Bradon, Dom, Helen, and Kate will be the top 4, I think.

I wish they would break out of their reality tv straitjacket a little more and critique more of the outfits when there get to be <10 designers left. Some of the best designs seem like they end up "safe" and I never understand why. (like Bradon's fitness outfit, for example, which seemed like the clear winner to me)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Huh, I didn't take Tim's print comment like that (didn't notice the other comment). He is usually really good at the real person stuff. I disagree with him about the prints, because I actually think the opposite - bigger people can pull off bigger prints than smaller people in my view - but I think it is worthwhile to notice that these are not size 0 models and you have to be a little more strategic because it's not like with models where you are basically sending down a garment on a hanger and it hardly matters if you pay attention to curviness.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:54 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't agree with him at all about the prints either. And yeah, I think it's a good challenge in that it shows the ability of designers to adapt to different bodies and highlights who's good at tailoring and pattern-making.. I just wish they'd be *better* at it! It's pretty astonishing how few people seem to have any school experience with plus size garments. No wonder plus-size fashion is in the state it is, it seems like designers are just genuinely flummoxed by fat people. Makes me wonder why plus size design is not being taught more? And it also seems like the judges tend to pick whatever garments are made for the thin models. I mean, look at who was in the top and bottom. And that seems to happen almost every year I've seen...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:01 pm 
Chip Strong

I couldn't understand how Ken claimed to be self-taught, and yet he also claimed that he had never sewn for "real" women before. Did he just start off with models straightaway somehow?

Yeah, boo to Tim about the food comment. I still love you, Tim, but people can eat a candy bar if they want to. I think he was trying to make a general comment about the quality of the food provided, but it sure did come out as a fat-shaming comment.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What's bad is that those women aren't even plus-sized, and they still have trouble designing for them. They're average women who would be buying clothing at stores. I almost feel like they shouldn't even include anyone who's on the thinner side, just to keep the playing field even. Helen's model was dorky, but she already had a model's body, which they're used to designing for already.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:20 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

annak wrote:
Tim Gunn seems to get the fat shaming award for the "regular people" challenge. Between being all "don't touch the snacks, fatties!"

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! What was with that?!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

okay, i'm really bummed that kate got eliminated. yes, her dress was so gosh darn awful, but IMHO alexandria should have been sent home. i feel that kate is a much stronger designer, or i at least almost always like what kate designs, not a big fan of alexandria.

but kate is a smart strong gal. i felt it very very interesting that she felt deep down that she would not make it to fashion week and that project runway would use the double elimination as a way to send her home again. i honestly thought i would see her in the final 3. this is the one time that i felt tim gunn used that "save" too early. it would have been nice for him to save kate for this challenge, but would he really have done that? he didn't like her print or her design, and i don't think he would have saved her.

wasn't super crazy about helen's design but i'm glad she pulled herself together and designed with the print. i really don't see what the big intimidation factor was regarding prints.

so now i'm thinking the final 3 will definitely be dom, helen, and brandon. maybe justin. admittedly, i very much like justin as a person but i'm not super excited to see what he would design for the final runway at bryant park. please don't let alexandria be part of the final 4 or 5.

p.s. edited to add: i watched this directly on lifetime since we don't subscribe to cable. from the many many years i've been watching PR via lifetime directly, this time the internet broadcast was different: no opening credits, no couple minutes of recap of what happened on the previous episode, and ZERO information about any of the innovators/inspiration and the time the innovators and designers spent together. for those of you who watched this on tv, did the tv episode dedicate time to the innovators??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:29 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

bookwormbethie wrote:
p.s. edited to add: i watched this directly on lifetime since we don't subscribe to cable. from the many many years i've been watching PR via lifetime directly, this time the internet broadcast was different: no opening credits, no couple minutes of recap of what happened on the previous episode, and ZERO information about any of the innovators/inspiration and the time the innovators and designers spent together. for those of you who watched this on tv, did the tv episode dedicate time to the innovators??

I watched it online too, and was super confused when the episode started in right after getting back from Mood, but I refreshed the page and it started from the beginning with the opening credits, recaps, etc. There must be some sort of glitch with their page skipping ahead?

I REALLY loved Dom's print this week.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Kate's dress was awful but I agree that I would be more interested in seeing a collection from Kate than Alexandria or Justin.

For the finale I think Bradon and Dom will be in, not sure who else. Probably Helen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:39 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Alexandria's look looked cheap/poor construction. I thought she should have been in the bottom.

I liked the bomber jacket and dress. The dress reminded me of a UK industrial/cyber goth designer from the 90s named Dane - he designed looks for Scary Spice on tour...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My Zoetrope wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I watched it online too, and was super confused when the episode started in right after getting back from Mood, but I refreshed the page and it started from the beginning with the opening credits, recaps, etc. There must be some sort of glitch with their page skipping ahead?

I REALLY loved Dom's print this week.

cool, thanks for the info about that. this is the first time something weird like that has ever happened. i'll watch later, excited that i get to see some "bonus" footage!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next