| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Friday Night Lights
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I started watching "Friday Night Lights" exclusively because it was highly recommended by Amanda Marcotte at Pandagon. I am now one episode away from the S1 finale.
It took me a while to get into it because a) there is no way I could be less interested in football and b) I haven't seen very much of Texas (and none of west Texas), but I kept up after the first few episodes almost entirely because Tim Riggins reminded me so, so much of a hopeless alcoholic whom I used to know and often find myself missing. The last few episodes have been brutal and stunning, and I'm pretty enamored of it now.

1) How did forking Lyla Garrity become the character I empathize with the most? She made me want to gouge my eyes out for the first 15 episodes, and now I love her. Also, I want to karate chop tattoo artist chick in the throat for all eternity.
2) Jury remains out regarding the way they're handling the whole "Smash's girlfriend is BIPOLAR!!!!!!!! That means she's KUH-RAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" thing. If she commits suicide or something, I don't know that I can continue watching, if simply because I am so goddamned weary of the all-encompassing caricature of The Crazy being the root cause of anyone ever doing anything that is considered harmful or strange. On TV, it's like, "S/he just stabbed that person/got all boisterous in a restaurant! [pause] Oh, s/he's bipolar," and the silent implication is that people with bipolar disorder are inherently prone to irrational bouts of violence/strangeness and they need to be medicated so they don't get all weird or loud or uppity and blah blah blah. What I'm trying to say is that it's a delicate situation and I hope they treat it respectfully, because I don't think that's ever happened on TV before.
3) Speaking of delicate situations, the storyline w/r/t Tyra almost being raped, and when she goes to the police station and basically gets assaulted all over again -- that shiitake is for real, and I have never seen another television show go there. Those scenes were basically impossible for me to watch, but I'm glad they showed it, because I think it's valuable to showcase the myriad reasons that an assault victim would not want to go to the authorities.

Anyone else watch this show?

Post subject: Re: Friday Night Lights
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:10 pm 
protein lump

yeah. totally addicted. tim riggins is my tv boyfriend.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:33 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I love this show so much. I can't believe how I enjoy watching the football games in the show. I tried to watch a real game on tv after I finished Friday Night Lights and I lasted about 25 seconds so I guess I still only like football when it is in the show. It is fun to watch Lyla Garrity change and all of them grow up. I forgot how annoying she was at first!

I think what make the show for me (besides the incredibleness of Tim Riggins) is the relationship between Eric and Tami. Their chemistry is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:06 pm 

Just finished S2E1. HOLY shiitake! Jaw on floor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

timmmmm riggins 4evah.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:35 pm 

also, my husband drunkenly proclaimed to a group of our friends that coach and mrs. coach were the only married couple he's ever identified with, and i was surprised to hear him say so, but the more i thought about it, the more i TOTALLY 100% AGREE. i love them both.

i won't spoil anything for you since you're behind, but there are some weak points in season 3. STICK IT OUT.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:18 pm 

Okay, this is one of the best shows ever. The acting! I can't believe how effortlessly convincing it is. So many things are blowing my mind right now, and I'm the only person I know (in real life) who has watched this show! Poor Tyra. Goddamn, can't catch a break.
The only consistent quirk I've noticed is how they can completely drop story lines/plot devices without ever mentioning them again. I don't know why it seems particularly glaring, but there are a handful of details I was carrying from episode to episode that seem to have dropped off the face of the earth, never to be inferred or invoked again.

Not a huge fan of the 'YOU MUST KEEP THE BABY' subplot -- in what universe should something like that ever happen? I hope this doesn't out me as being terribly cold-hearted with respect to fathers-to-be, but I wasn't really a fan of minimizing/basically eliminating the 19-year-old single woman's role in deciding whether to carry a pregnancy to term in deference to a completely random stranger with whom she happened to have a one-night stand, nor the implication that anyone should EVER be guilted/pressured into carrying a pregnancy to term EVER EVER EVER, but hey!
Really hate Cash, love Landry, loooooove coach and the missus. And Landry's bassist/backup singer is the cutest thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

Tim just got into college! Eee.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:08 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

i'm waiting for JoannaLovesYou to pop up in this thread...

I would love to cut Tim's hair a bit or at least give it a good washing. Love him though!

I also love Tami and the coach's chemistry. Do you remember her in Spin City?

I also love the Explosions in the Sky music.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:56 pm 

procrastinatingcook wrote:

sigh. karla, i already posted twice! get with the program!

p.s. i love you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:33 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

joanna wrote:
procrastinatingcook wrote:

sigh. karla, i already posted twice! get with the program!

p.s. i love you.

oh, snap!
your new abbreviated name (AND NO PICTURE) confused me.