| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please Help Save College Radio in Nashville, TN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:43 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Hey PPKers,

As a wee tofu pup, I hope you will forgive my boldness in requesting your assistance.

Witnessing the tedious, soul-sucking Corporatization of any and all aspects of daily life is one of the greater disappointments of becoming a cognizant adult.

Now, a resource that is dear to my heart and dear to the hearts of many in the greater-Nashville community (but not to the perspective-lacking undergrads nor the money-grubbing members of the overseeing board), is about to be sold for scrap. The broadcasting license for the college radio station at Vanderbilt is up for sale.

Music is dignity for so many. Terrestrial radio is tangible and binding in a way that the internet never can be. If the broadcast license is sold the cultural landscape is forked so forking hard by this loss. It is a free speech issue, a class issue (not everyone has computers, let alone internet access in TN), and a cultural issue.

I know the internet is the hot shiitake, but terrestrial radio is still valuable and important, and I want more than anything to see the medium preserved and utilized by young voices, rather than MegaChurches or ClearChannel.

Links below on ways you can help. Also, if you have an in with any bands or people with big voices that want to make a statement or help out in any way, please PM me. Thanks so much for reading.

http://savewrvuradio.wordpress.com/

Here is a list of the people who are on the Vanderbilt Student Communications Board of Directors – http://www.vandymedia.org/vsc-board-of-directors/

Community members are encourage to contact Mary Pat Teague in the office of Community Relations – marypat.teague@vanderbilt.edu)

NYT article - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/busin ... &ref=music

Post subject: Re: Please Help Save College Radio in Nashville, TN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This blows. Vandy was pretty much the only radio station in TN that was/is worth a fork.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:27 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks, creep.

Also, do you remember the Toadies? They toured with Bush & thought they were kind of turdish, so they lied about Tampa's name, and when Gavin Rossdale greeted the crowd he said, "Hello, TAMPAX!"

Anyway. Thanks, again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:27 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

bump mothers hubbard. Should I move this to the Foyer or is community radio really doooooomed?