| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Everything is People (Hannibal)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:02 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I searched for a thread about this show, but I didn't see one - so I'm starting one!

Who watches Hannibal? What do you think? Do you want to wrap precious Will Graham up in a blanket and give him soup and play with his pack of misfit dogs? Do you love all the callbacks to past Bryan Fuller shows? Are you excited for the inevitable guest appearance by Lee Pace and his Eyebrows? BECAUSE I AM.

Tonight is the finale! I'll be watching while my boyfriend averts his eyes, because he is delicate and squeamish.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Post subject: Re: Everything is People (Hannibal)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:44 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i started watching it sort of recently. i was surprised that it got renewed, because it's so quiet. it just didn't seem like something that would find a place on a network. i was against mads mikkelsen's hannibal at first, but i've come around to his brand of sinister. the blankness is sort of beautiful for this character. and so much of the show is just plain gorgeous, visually, at moments when you feel all kinds of wrong for seeing artistry, which also works really well with this story.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:08 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I was only against Mads Mikkelsen for a minute when I found out the apparently David Tennant almost got the part, but that was just the Doctor Who fangirl in me talking. I feel like Mads does an excellent job making Hannibal very quietly but intensely terrifying. There is an emptiness to him that's more frightening than someone who's just outright violent or crazy.

The show really is beautiful. And you're right, it is kind of... placid? It's not a fast-moving series, it's all very deliberate. I'm so glad it got renewed, because it's very well done and I've enjoyed this season immensely. Maybe this will be the show to break Bryan Fuller's two season curse.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the mistake of watching it today while suffering from severe nausea. I do enjoy it though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Aww! I seem to always be eating while I watch it. (Not people, though.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, yeah, admit it..... you are chewing on a relatives kidney right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I did have some organs removed last fall, is it still cannibalism if it's your own stuff? I guess so, but is it vegan? QUESTIONS.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I do I do I do!

I really enjoy Mads Mikkelsen's quiet and deliberate Hannibal. He's measured and without the gleeful abandon you see in later portrayals with Brian Cox and Anthony Hopkins, after Lecter is caught - which I think makes sense. And he is so terrifying.

Hugh Dancy is actually my favorite Will Graham.*

I just about lose my mind any time anyone eats or drinks anything because yeah, people. The food stylist's blog is really interesting and (SURPRISE!) decidedly not-vegan. I read the related entries after each episode.

*No offense to William Petersen but your design was a little less tortured and a little more too loud and shouty for me.

ETA: Lecter being caught isn't a spoiler, is it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I don't think that's a spoiler. It's not a matter of if, just when.

I love Hugh Dancy. I've actually never seen any other version of Will Graham, but he makes him such a sympathetic character. I mean, he makes me feel pretty strongly that killing and eating people is the LEAST awful thing Hannibal Lecter does. The way he's screwing with Will's mental health (and literal health) just hurts me.

The food blog is so interesting! Super not vegan, of course, but I love seeing all the detail and thought that goes into each dish. The thought process behind Freddie's crazy salad was awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

amandabear wrote:
I love Hugh Dancy. I've actually never seen any other version of Will Graham, but he makes him such a sympathetic character.

Yeah, you don't see him in Silence of the Lambs, which is the most popular Adventures of Doctor Lecter and Friends - other than as brief and off-screen reference. William Petersen played him in Manhunter and Edward Norton played him in Red Dragon (the remake of Manhunter, which was originally called Red Dragon but, yes! I am moving on, don't mind me). Hugh Dancy's portrayal is amazing and I just want to hang out with him and all the pups and make him tea.

Will Graham is a super interesting character! Can I geek out a little? Imma geek out a little.

When we watched the premiere of Hannibal, my sweetheart was all, "What, another "I see what the killer sees?" show? Pfft, old hat." I was like, Noooo, you don't understand, Will Graham is the original flavor! There was nobody like him before in crime novels. Sherlock Holmes solved things with the power of deduction, not empathy! Will Graham is Frank Black's spiritual grandpapa.

amandabear wrote:
I mean, he makes me feel pretty strongly that killing and eating people is the LEAST awful thing Hannibal Lecter does. The way he's screwing with Will's mental health (and literal health) just hurts me.

Ugh, I know. I shout HE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND at the screen least once per episode. That and GET A SECOND OPINION. And also NO NO NO IT'S PEOPLE. I maybe shout at the screen too much.

In all fairness I also shout at Hannibal THAT'S NOT HOW YOU MAKE FRIENDS.

amandabear wrote:
The food blog is so interesting! Super not vegan, of course, but I love seeing all the detail and thought that goes into each dish. The thought process behind Freddie's crazy salad was awesome.

It really was a most menacing salad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

amandabear wrote:
I did have some organs removed last fall, is it still cannibalism if it's your own stuff? I guess so, but is it vegan? QUESTIONS.

I'm guessing it comes down to a consent thing. We don't use or consume animal products because in it's most basic form.... they can't consent to being their for our consumption. But since the products are your own and you are agreeable to the organs being used for consumption then it is all hunky dory. So what you going to be serving us?!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:48 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

madeleine.teacup wrote:
That and GET A SECOND OPINION.

Spoiler: show
this! the idea that that neurologist would have risked his entire career just to observe some sequelae he couldn't even discuss with anyone was such a stretch for me, because if will had gone anywhere for a second opinion, he'd have been forked (i tend to shout things like "THAT IS SO UNETHICAL" and "YOU ARE VIOLATING YOUR OATH SO HARD"). i guess we're assuming that because will's already pretty sure he's crazy, he wouldn't keep looking for proof that he's not. but then will was in the hospital for days and they still didn't notice his raging encephalitis? SO UNLIKELY.

(spoiler-tagged because i don't know whether it's fair to assume that people reading have seen all the episodes so far. if you have, it's not news.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:57 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Re: spoilers... I feel like if it's aired, it's not a spoiler anymore? your mileage may vary though.

madeleine.teacup wrote:
Ugh, I know. I shout HE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND at the screen least once per episode. That and GET A SECOND OPINION. And also NO NO NO IT'S PEOPLE. I maybe shout at the screen too much.

In all fairness I also shout at Hannibal THAT'S NOT HOW YOU MAKE FRIENDS.

BAD HANNIBAL. Stop sending murderers after your friends! But seriously, GET A SECOND OPINION OH MY GOD. How has no one suggested that?! Doctors don't give you secret MRI's in the middle of the night by themselves if there's nothing wrong with you. Said doctor getting murderized was distracting, sure, but it still happened. And I agree with acr, there's no way he'd be in the hospital for days and no one would be like, hmm, how 'bout a brain scan?

Mostly when I yell at the tv it's, WILL STOP EATING THE SAUSAGE. STOP EATING IT WILL. THE SAUSAGE IS PEOPLE.

Also let us deal with how amazing the amazing Gillian Anderson's character is named Dr. Bedelia Du Maurier. That is the fanciest name I've ever heard in my life.

daisychain wrote:
amandabear wrote:

I'm guessing it comes down to a consent thing. We don't use or consume animal products because in it's most basic form.... they can't consent to being their for our consumption. But since the products are your own and you are agreeable to the organs being used for consumption then it is all hunky dory. So what you going to be serving us?!

SCORE. Sadly I will not be serving you anything, because hospitals don't let you keep your organs, the big dumb meanies. They were mine! (I'm kidding of course, I didn't really want to keep my ovary in a jar. Of vinegar. Like pickles.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ah crepe, I made some grammatical errors in my last post. Damn my spaced out head!

I really fancy some pickled ovaries right now.

I'm probably way behind you guys. Gillian Anderson just made her first appearance this week over here. I don't mind spoilers too much though for this show.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

You've got so much to see still! I'm kind of jealous. After tonight it will be a long and Hannibal-less summer. The 13-episode format totally works for the show, but I do wish there were more for purely selfish reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm on the fence with this show. My main issues with it are:
1. that dude who plays Hannibal is too creepy. If it were real life there's no way everyone wouldn't go around being terrified of him all the time.
2. how the hell did he convince that neurologist to not tell Will about his life-threatening brain infection?? I mean. Come on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:18 pm 
protein lump

I am watching, too! It's too gross for Michael so I watch it on Hulu the next day. I love Will so much and I'm scared for his brain.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

molly wrote:
I'm on the fence with this show. My main issues with it are:
1. that dude who plays Hannibal is too creepy. If it were real life there's no way everyone wouldn't go around being terrified of him all the time.
2. how the hell did he convince that neurologist to not tell Will about his life-threatening brain infection?? I mean. Come on.

1. You are totally right that Mads Mikkelsen is beyond creepy in this role. But we KNOW he's a cannibal, you know? We see him being terrible. From the perspective of someone in the show's universe, where no one knows what Hannibal really is, I don't think they'd have a reason to think he's a serial killer. A little weird? Yeah. A sociopath who kills and eats people? I'm not sure they'd make that leap.

2. He appealed to his doctorly vanity. You could study this thing that no one has ever studied! But that's kind of nonsensical since it's not like he could ever actually publish anything about it without serious consequences. And obviously this doctor was horrible, but he did eventually have second thoughts - that's why he did the late-night MRI that got him killed. I think the fact that no one's told Will to get a second opinion is less believable than that whole situation, honestly.

esme wrote:
I am watching, too! It's too gross for Michael so I watch it on Hulu the next day. I love Will so much and I'm scared for his brain.

Yay! Ha, it seems to be a theme that this show is too gross for our significant others. Mike is always like, "HOW IS THIS ON NETWORK TELEVISION."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

but does anyone know will got the first opinion? i can't remember whether he mentioned having the scan to anyone, because i was too busy trying to figure out why that girl's skin was falling off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

acr wrote:
but does anyone know will got the first opinion? i can't remember whether he mentioned having the scan to anyone, because i was too busy trying to figure out why that girl's skin was falling off.

They do! They've referenced it a bunch of times, that he had a brain scan and they found nothing. Because the doctor (and Hannibal) told them they found nothing, and showed them normal brains instead of Will's swollen encephalitis brain. I don't know why no one thought it was weird that the doctor was doing another secret one in the middle of the night when he was killed, but they definitely know about the first falsified one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I don't want to spoil everything 2 minutes after the finale airs, but... YOU GUYS. OH MY GOD.

How much do you love Alana? I love her a lot. Poor Will. Oh my god, everything.

What does Dr. Scully know???

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

amandabear wrote:
1. You are totally right that Mads Mikkelsen is beyond creepy in this role. But we KNOW he's a cannibal, you know? We see him being terrible. From the perspective of someone in the show's universe, where no one knows what Hannibal really is, I don't think they'd have a reason to think he's a serial killer. A little weird? Yeah. A sociopath who kills and eats people? I'm not sure they'd make that leap.

So marvelously creepy, that reptilian observational stare. I actually found him much more scary when we didn't see him actually do any violence to people...but here, Will, have a scramble and some sausage. I don't know, it's the knowing but not seeing that gets me every time. Dread and foreboding!

amandabear wrote:
esme wrote:

Yay! Ha, it seems to be a theme that this show is too gross for our significant others. Mike is always like, "HOW IS THIS ON NETWORK TELEVISION."

Ha! Mine too. We watch on Hulu but only ever one episode at a time because it is too stressful for my sweetheart. Last weekend I was like, Let's have a HANNIMARATHON.

That didn't happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:33 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

madeleine.teacup wrote:
So marvelously creepy, that reptilian observational stare.

Oh man, he has that stare down cold. Especially when he tilts his head.

This week was actually way less gross than usual! Way more intense, but less gross! BF didn't have to avert his eyes even once. The music was particularly well done... I mean, it's always well done, but this time around it was incredibly effective at creating an unsettled feeling.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:50 pm 
protein lump

I was getting distracted because Will had a Jon Snow thing going on and once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:31 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I don't know who that is! I googled it and I can see it, though, especially when his hair is all disheveled. Which is always.