| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Me vs meat farmers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:28 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Hi y'all!

I'm looking for books about vegan socities that deals with the subjec: what if the world went vegan?

Like what would happen to our society as a whole, agriculture, animal husbandry, hunting, sustainability etc.

The reason why is that my brother in law is a meat farmer and I really want to brush up on my knowledge to be able to have a proper discussion about a society after veganism, because he thinks it's impossible and an utopia and constantly belittles me for not having all the answers.

Please help me!

many hugs / nailbunny

Post subject: Re: Me vs meat farmers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:58 am 
WRETCHED

Well I don't think a vegan world is possible in our lifetime due to a number of factors. I'm also not sure why a hypothetical explanation needs to be explained in order to talk about veganism today.

You could talk about environmental impacts, you could discuss how veganism helps our environment overall.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

Here's an article discussing the environmental benefits if everyone spontaneously woke up veg tomorrow.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/feed_the_world/2014/05/meat_eating_and_climate_change_vegetarians_impact_on_the_economy_antibiotics.html

I agree that a 100% vegan world is an unrealistic utopia--especially in our lifetime-- but so is a world without war, murder, and every other bad thing. All we can do is our best to minimize suffering and cruelty; there will always be sociopaths and asparagusholes (you know I am on the forum too much when I type that out instead of letting the filter do its thing) but way better to live in a world where these things aren't the status quo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:03 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Honestly, if he is the kind of person who would belittle you, then no amount of logic or answers will help. Instead, I would practice the art of not answering him and simply not engaging. If a person asks me a sincere question, I am happy to answer whatever it is. When a person asks a question as a way to bait me into an argument, I try not to take the bait.

If he says that you aren't going to change the world with this way of eating, just tell him your goal is only to change yourself. If he says the whole world isn't going to go vegan ever, just tell him you are only responsible for your own actions, and will act in accordance with your moral compass. If he tells you that if everyone went vegan, deer would take over the world, then tell him that you eagerly await your new deer overlords. ;) Just keep it personal and about you, and don't take the bait.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:09 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

You might want to read the Mad Cowboy, and No More Bull. Both are written by an ex-cattle rancher (long time family business) who went vegan. I've given it to a few people who are dairy and cattle ranchers, who were extremely resistant to veganism and now we can at least have a civil conversation about it from time to time. A couple of them even (claim to) eat vegan a couple times per week, now.

ETA: Sorry, I reread your post and realized this isn't what you're looking for. Still, it might be a good jumping off point for you.