| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time magazine's list of the 100 greatest video games ever
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:13 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So Time magazine just came out with a list of the 100 greatest video games of all time. What do you think about it?

http://techland.time.com/2012/11/15/all ... slide/all/

Personally, I can't believe they didn't include the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I mean, what the fork?

Post subject: Re: Time magazine's list of the 100 greatest video games eve
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:56 am 
A Bad Person

It's a very safe list. A lot of games are on it just because they were the first to do something, not necessarily the best to do it. Doom is on there, but Doom 2 improved upon Doom in nearly every aspect. Doom 2 is a better game. Same with Marathon/ Marathon 2, Mega Man/ Mega Man 2, etc. And some of the choices are simply bizarre. They picked Castle Wolfenstein because Wolfenstein 3D was a trailblazer? Why not just pick Wolf3D? Oblivion over Morrowind? What? I'll grudgingly allow for Desktop Tower Defense and Angry Birds, but Mass Effect 3 is solely on this list as a controversial choice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

JonnyWoop wrote:

Personally, I can't believe they didn't include the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I mean, what the fork?

Obviously the list is rubbish and not worthy of the electrons it's displayed on. In fact, all major console Zelda games should be on that list. Even my five year old knows that**

**eta: not that she has much a frame of reference, but whatever. There's an adorable picture of her in the playground Halloween thread decked out as Link. She even had an ocarina, but I don't think it's in the picture.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 am 
A Bad Person

I'm not even a fan of the Zelda series, and I'd say Link to the Past belongs on this list somewhere. More than the original does.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

How the fork do you not include Ocarina of Time?!

That game is the shiitake! Some of my best bonding time with mom was over this game, dammit. I learned words playing the game and reading the guide. Pay my childhood its motherforking due. Meanwhile, I'll be sobbing. More or less.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:27 am 

GymClassZero wrote:
Pay my childhood its motherforking due.

Exactly. OoT is so tied up with nostalgia for me it's hard to view it objectively. But it's often called the greatest game of all time by reviewers. So I don't understand how it was left off a list of the top 100.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

bekki wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:

Obviously the list is rubbish and not worthy of the electrons it's displayed on. In fact, all major console Zelda games should be on that list. Even my five year old knows that**

Zelda games are overrated.

Nintendo hasn't done anything new and interesting in decades.

I'm glad to see that Galaga and NetHack are on there. And Thief: The Dark Project, but as mentioned, Thief 2 is a better game-- Thief 1 was groundbreaking, though.

But yes. Definitely a very safe list.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Awww...Ultima Online is on it. I still have an account there. So many good times...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:41 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Time seemingly forgot that Commodore existed. my Amiga 500 holds my most precious gaming memories ever!

cannon fodder!
lemmings!
SWoS!
syndicate!

this is a huge injustice! I WILL NOT REST!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, the lack of OoT is seriously wrong. How can you put friggin Final Fantasy Tactics on the list but not OoT? And some of these I just flat out disagree with. E.g. Quake wasn't really groundbreaking. I'd much rather see Wolfenstein 3-D on there. And Metroid Prime? Good, but far from being anywhere on my top 100. And Tomb Raider sucked! The only reason played that game was because Lara Croft. Seriously. The puzzles stank and the baddies were lame.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

nickvicious wrote:
And some of these I just flat out disagree with. E.g. Quake wasn't really groundbreaking.

Really? The first really 3D shooter? (As opposed to the others, which were 2.5D. Marathon 1-3, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom-- none of them actually supported bridges and true 3D rendering)? The first game to actually use 3D hardware?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:27 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Quake is totally deserving! people are still playing it pretty religiously today. well worths.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

No love for Secret of Mana? I think it's better than Chrono Trigger. So there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:08 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Not really that into Chrono Trigger, either.

Mostly I dislike Japanese RPGs.

I'm surprised there's no Planescape: Torment. Charlatans!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:13 am 
A Bad Person

And not just no Torment, no infinity engine RPGs. That's a forking travesty.

You know, the more I go over this list, the worse it gets. Thankfully, it's just Time, and not any publication pretending to have any scrap of authority when it comes to video games.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

brian wrote:
I'm not even a fan of the Zelda series, and I'd say Link to the Past belongs on this list somewhere. More than the original does.

Yeah, Link to the Past and Ocarina are about tied in my mind, for different reasons. I can objectively say that the original belongs on any list, though, because of the battery back up...being able to actually save your game changed everything.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:33 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I can't believe that UO and Evercrack are on there while Asherons Call is not.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

All in all, this reeks of "games people in the office remember" and big hits. There are very few non-blockbuster games or indie-darlings.
JonnyWoop wrote:
I never finished it. I got about 2/3 of the way through before I just stopped and didn't go back it it. Kind of meh, to be honest. I really enjoyed Wind Waker, though. It seems like they've avoided picking more than one from each series (Mario being the exception because it differed more in gameplay, I guess.)

Hunt the Wumpus is wonderfully simple and kind of addictive but short-lived when you work it out.

Breakout-type games are kind of fun on a boring day.

I never got Asteroids or Pac Man or Space invaders. I'm not big on having to actually react to things quickly...

Zork is too silly, but I like text adventures generally. Lots of recent-ish ones are very good and it's an overlooked genre. Emily Short's Galatea is wondrous.

Super Mario World was brilliant when I was 11, but I think I'd find it hard to go back to. I never got on with Mario 64 either, finding it a bit boring and repetitive.

NetHack is both awful and amazing, much like Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft and other procedural generation games.

I loved Sim City 2000, but it was too easy once you "got" it.

Resident Evil I would have liked if I wasn't so crepe at shooting games (and it has stupid controls). I have it on my DS and I play it on the secret stupidly easy mode that you have to use a cheat to unlock.

Tomb Raider was, and still is, fantastic. It was a puzzle game with occasional shooting bits. It was a good puzzle game, too.

I only played FFVII for about five minutes, on an emulator, until it crashed. FFIX was good...

Goldeneye was fun but I was incredibly bad at it.

I always thought I'd like Grim Fantango, but never quite got around to playing it. Same with Discworld Noire and the Blade Runner point and click game.

The Sims and its sequels are all pretty good, but I'd argue they were toys and not games. I would have liked better AI and proper genetics like in the Creatures series.

ANIMAL CROSSING ALWAYS AND FOREVER XOXOXOX
I'm considering getting a 3DS for Animal Crossing. It's not been released not in Japanese yet.

Cave Story would be better if it wasn't so funking hard. I understand this is a cultural thing, though, where Japanese gamers like grindy, learn-by-your-mistakes games.

I recently started playing Half-Life 2 and it's quite good. I see what all the fuss is about.

WoW is balls but I understand its significance.

Portal was fun. Portal 2 was also fun. Physics puzzles with comedy!

Braid is neat and beautiful, but also fairly tedious and I did not feel compelled to complete it.

Batman Arkham City wasn't as good as Arkham Asylum in some respects (they both have pacing problems), but was still a pretty good game. I recently played it through again and it was still good.

---

I'm a bit surprised not to see:

Mirror's Edge - It should be given a special award for "least appropriate game to have gunfights in" as the whole of the rest of the game is about freerunning. BUT THE FREERUNNING BITS ARE SO GOOD. It was a unique, wonderful, incredibly flawed game.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - One of the best RPGs out there, written by a fantastic team (the guys behind Fallout 1, 2 and NV), based on a solid established world (oWoD P&P RPGs) and build on a good game engine (same as HL2 and Portal).

Similarly, the Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Baldur's Gate series, just because of their hugeness and richness of setting and storytelling.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:47 pm 

Gulliver wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
I never finished it. I got about 2/3 of the way through before I just stopped and didn't go back it it. Kind of meh, to be honest.

As I said, I can't really view this game objectively. It's too wrapped up in Nostalgia for me. I was like eleven when it came out and was just the perfect age for it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

solipsistnation wrote:
nickvicious wrote:
And some of these I just flat out disagree with. E.g. Quake wasn't really groundbreaking.

Really? The first really 3D shooter? (As opposed to the others, which were 2.5D. Marathon 1-3, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom-- none of them actually supported bridges and true 3D rendering)? The first game to actually use 3D hardware?

Well, I may be partial to Wolfenstein and Doom because I was playing those long before Quake. By the time Quake came around I feel the FPS shooter genre was well on it's way towards what it is today. I I believe Quake II was much better. It had a more developed story and (if I'm not mistaken) it supported online play while Quake did not. Gawd, I spent so many hours on Heat.net playing Quake II.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:55 pm 
A Bad Person

Quake supported netplay. QuakeWorld was developed to help HPBs, but Quake out of the box was playable. It was also what led to the creation of a lot of third party server browsers like Gamespy, which was first Quakespy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Gulliver wrote:
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - One of the best RPGs out there, written by a fantastic team (the guys behind Fallout 1, 2 and NV), based on a solid established world (oWoD P&P RPGs) and build on a good game engine (same as HL2 and Portal).

LOVE this game, I've played it over and over and over, but it didn't sell well because it didn't work out of the box, from what I understand Activision made them release it before it was ready and just said "just release a patch to fix it!". I don't know about the Steam version but you simply can't play the original copy without the unofficial patches. Thus it wasn't really well received and sold very poorly, ensuring no sequels would be made. Which makes me sad because that means I have to learn how to play tabletop games to get the World Of Darkness experience again. So it makes sense to me that while it was a great game once fixed, it wouldn't make a best video games list.

Also, I thought Riven was way better than Myst. It was more difficult, but bigger and prettier. I played it at too young an age to solve any puzzles, but I liked taking strolls like I now do in Skyrim.

Also, no Escape From Monkey Island? Only the first King's Quest? PFFFFFFFT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:07 am 
Nailed to the V

Hey guys, it's Time Magazine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:09 am 
Nailed to the V

One of the main people behind Vampire: Bloodlines is working on what should be a great game:

Dead State. Kickstarter already happened but i'm looking forward to it

http://www.deadstate.doublebearproductions.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:13 am 
Nailed to the V

And it's not that they left off certain Infinity Engine games, it doesn't list any isometric/ish RPG games at all. Probably because whomever compiled the list didn't play any.

Also, the reason why Ocarina of Time isn't listed is because they avoided repeating games in the same series/IP as much as possible.