| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: How I Met Your Mother
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:43 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Nicole wrote:
Sitcoms aren't supposed to do that!

That's how I felt after they gave the middle kid cancer on Home Improvement. My husband actually stopped watching it at that point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:08 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

RandiJM wrote:
I'm sooo bad-tripped about this inevitable turn of events. I think it was pretty obvious that

Spoiler: show
the mother is dying, and while we are meeting her in flashforwards, when we finally meet her in real time at the end, we're also going to see her die in the flashforwards.

It's a really nice full-circle-without-the-actual-circle twist in the framing of the show...but I still cannot believe how f-ing sad that is going to be. I appreciate that it's actually going to be good - like the whole point of the show makes SO much more sense now - but still, that's f-ing sad.

I agree. When she told Ted she didn't want him to be someone who just lived in stories, and then when Ted teared up when she said, "what kind of mother wouldn't show up for her own daughters wedding?" And I think the hotel dude said something about it being a snowy weekend and being suprised they're up there? I feel like they go to that place all the time, so the only reason they'd go when it was such a crappy time was if she didn't have long and they were trying to make the most of it.

I saw something about people thinking this is just another HIMYM misdirect (like all the time with Robin), but I don't know. I kind of hope it is, because if anyone deserves a happy ending, it's Ted. I will cry and throw something at my screen and give up on love forever if she dies.

And yeah, the whole telling your kids a long story about HIMYM makes a lot of sense if she died when they were young and they didn't get to know her fully.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The temptation to read the spoilers but then it would actually spoil it for me! Gah!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:39 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I really don't see the twist everyone keeps talking about, and I've watched the entire series nine times over (or more. I almost wish I was exaggerating). Even right now, I've been 'researching,' and I'm on season 6. I just don't see the proof!

The most recent episode, Daisy, was so weak, but damn it if that ending didn't tear me up!

I knew four minutes in that Lily was pregnant, but when Marshall said they were going to Italy? Oh, man. I got weepy eyed.
that moment was so perfect, after all the crepe they pulled that made me absolutely hate Marshall this season.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:53 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This is so silly but I feel very nervous about the series finale tonight.
I really love(d) this show for many years and I am so afraid that the end will be wholely unsatisfying (as the entire last two seasons have been).
Please, HIMYM, please be good to me!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:01 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I feel like they've wasted so much time this season, I wonder how they will wrap up the whole series tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:01 pm 
Hip Goiter

Omg this is it.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So . . .

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade if they enjoyed it, but I hated it more than I've ever hated anything ever.

Hip Goiter

I AM SO FORKKING ANGRY!!!!!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 pm 

How I Met Your Mother: Here she is for a handful of scenes. Now she's gone. Back to pining over Robin.

Ted and Robin: It didn't work the first thousand times, how about now?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:14 pm 
Hip Goiter

I am STILL SO FORKING ANGRY.

I LOVE Robin and Barney! Why break them up? Uh!!! And who the f is Barney's baby mama? AND WHY ROBIN. WHY spend all this time showing us Robin and Barney and making up love them, and then making us love and be excited for Ted's true love, only to go back to Ted and forking Robin! askgj;ewljr ksldjfoiwejr klsj f;kwerwemklfajs;kd It's like it was all a waste. I HAVE AGITA.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:29 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Sooooo. Brian came down here and he knows I haven't seen the current season, but he was literally bursting to tell me about the ending that people are freaking out about, so I let him. If it's Dexter level bad, i'd actually rather be prepared for when it hits Netflix.

HIMYM may not be the best show ever, but I think it's been pretty consistent over the years and they basically ruined it in one fell swoop. I can handle the mom being dead, that's a pretty good twist. I can handle Robin and Barney getting a divorce (how long did they stay married?). I absolutely cannot handle the forking idea of forking Ted and forking Robin because WHY. WHY.

As soon as he told me I pulled my snuggie over my face and silently screamed.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:36 pm 
Hip Goiter

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Why do all of the TV shows have to slap their viewers in the face during series finales? It's just rude. We've spent this much time with you, have a little respect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm just going to pretend last week was the final episode.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:32 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

NO. NO. *stabs everything*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:13 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I am not sure how I feel about this.

I'm really sad the mother died, she was perfect for Ted. It was so obvious it was going to happen though after that episode a few weeks ago, but I was hoping it wouldn't.

I was also sad Barney and Robin got divorced. They were awesome, BUT I did really like the scene where Barney told his daughter she was his whole world. That scene was super sweet.

Ted and Robin..... I don't know. It bugs me less this happened that it was the plan from the beginning, but I would have still rather had Ted end up with the mother and Barney and Robin end up together.

This ending seems way more in line with what would happen though than the Dexter ending, so unlike Dexter, I don't think I'll have to pretend the final season never happened.

But I think I'm going to have to invest in Netflix so I can rewatch the series, because now I'll have nothing to do on Monday's haha.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:25 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm forking livid.

What a forking shittastic cop out of a bullshiitake storyline.

This was my favorite show. And now I just...can't watch it again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:46 am 
Hip Goiter

I posted a rant, pretty much, on my blog (link below). Join me in misery.

seriously though was it all an April fools joke?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:46 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I am clearly going to be in the minority here but this is how I had hoped it would end, not because I think it's the best ending but it's the one that makes the most sense. Ted was very clear and consistent throughout that he fully believed Robin was 'the one' for him. He loved other people along the way and so did Robin but he never really wavered. But their timing was never right or they wanted different things out of life at that stage in their life. But the entire show really revolved around how much Ted loved Robin. At least for me. I never liked Robin and Barney together and I didn't care for the mother. So while I completely understand the rage (it is kind of ridiculous to ask us to buy in to Robin/Barney and Ted/The Mother and then squash it) I am not unsatisified with how it closed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:27 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Now that it's tomorrow, I'm not worrying about spoiler tags.

I have a whole host of major issues (ugh, no saluting) with this finale, not least of which would how could two children who apparently grew up in a loving home be so damned cavalier and apathetic about their mother, who died of an apparently terribly sad and hospitalizing illness (and honestly, they showed Marshall's sex dream of Lily dying of the hiccups with more emotion than Tracy's real death) when they were TEN AND EIGHT??? Shouldn't they, you know, have shown some kind of missing-our-mother sadness at some point here? At least been annoyed that Ted wanted to share a story about their mom and instead waxed poetic about the chick he banged back in his twenties?

And Ted would've never settled for waiting to get married! He would've had a nice simple wedding earlier. That's his character.

And suddenly nine years of character development went out the window and into a landfill across the border for three characters, while the other two got 'generic life plot line number 3." And the titular character was a passing footnote. If they'd known the ending, this could've been written to lead to it so much better. This was an epically trashy and poor attempt at writing after a fairly solid nine years of writing, even if they missed the boat a handful of times, I'd never say their writing was bad like this was bad.

And the "mother is dead" plot line ticks me off to no end. Yes yes yes, it's a nice device for why this took place, but APPARENTLY the story took place so he could prove to his kids he was always in love with Robin, that the mom was just a uterus stand-in for his true love.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:40 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

missdelaney wrote:
APPARENTLY the story took place so he could prove to his kids he was always in love with Robin, that the mom was just a uterus stand-in for his true love.

YUP. kill the mom, whatever. it's totally unnecessary, but if you're hellbent on a twist, fine. but for ted to go back to robin after all that? i'd have felt great about this ending after the first season, and i guess that's when they came up with it, but in the many years since then i have totally gotten over the idea of ted and robin being together, because they really weren't a great couple, and it wasn't just because he wanted kids and she didn't. you can't solve their problems by using some other woman (who was so perfect for ted!) to provide the missing babies. it's like ted (and the writers) decided this was the right match and then refused to ever admit that it might have been a mistake because of stubborn pathological romanticism, in spite of all the very solid evidence to the contrary.

i saw a comment somewhere last night wondering what tracy's mysterious illness was, and another one under it speculating that ted poisoned her to get her out of the way, because he had the kids and the house and everything he'd ever wanted, except robin. and i've decided that's what happened, because at least it's something. god, ted, you're the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

It definitely felt like they stuck with the ending they conceived 9 years ago simply out of stubbornness. Over the course of the series, the characters changed and evolved. The ending that made sense in season 1 no longer did, but they shoehorned it in anyway.

I loved the moment when they finally met on the train platform. I was prepared to hate it. After a 9 year build up, I really wasn't sure that moment could deliver. And for me it did. Amid all kinds of other crepe this episode, that moment we had all been waiting for was sweet and special. I wish the show had ended there. I could have forgiven the stupid breaking up Robin and Barney and the lame treatment of Marshall and Lily. I could even get past the killing of the mom, if only they had ended it on that platform. If I ever muster the strength to watch the finale again, that's where it will end.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:20 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

zelavie wrote:
Why do all of the TV shows have to slap their viewers in the face during series finales?

At least Psych's finale was nice, pretty upbeat and positive with everyone happy and smiling at the end.

As for HIMYM, I'm just going to pretend this entire season never happened. It's much better for my blood pressure this way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next