| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 125  Next
 Post subject: Re: Glee!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:35 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

ijustdiedinside wrote:
amandabear wrote:
bastah wrote:
How can you tell when there is auto-tune? I could tell when Sue was doing Let's Get Physical, but other than that, I suck at noticing. Their singing voices on the show sound a lot like their speaking voices. Though Emma's song sounded odd

Oh god, Emma was auto-tuned into oblivion. Hands down the worst example in the history of the show, if you ask me.

I can't really describe it but I can usually tell because it just sounds way too smooth and kind of unnatural. There's no character, it's a little robotic.

yeah, i'm fairly certain that we've never heard anyone's totally natural voice on that show. Even when it doesn't sound super metallic, it just doesn't sound like what you'd expect to hear if someone opened their mouth and started singing. too perfect or something.

I think "Piano Man" sounded natural.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm so glad we're on a new page and I don't see Will's creepy face every time I open this thread.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:39 pm 

amandabear wrote:
I'm so glad we're on a new page and I don't see Will's creepy face every time I open this thread.

And one dark and stormy night, when you least expect it, I'm going to sneak into this thread and ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:39 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ok sure. that's one example...i dont really remember every single song on the show. they are just mostly altered.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

KarynMC wrote:
amandabear wrote:

And one dark and stormy night, when you least expect it, I'm going to sneak into this thread and ...

"I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat. And then on some dark cold night, I will steal away into your house and punch you in the face."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:42 pm 

amandabear wrote:
KarynMC wrote:
amandabear wrote:

"I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat. And then on some dark cold night, I will steal away into your house and punch you in the face."

I was going for the spirit of the thing!

The threat *cough*promise*cough* still stands.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:42 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Finally watched it and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Mainly because my expectations were close to nil. I did not not not like Quinn as Magenta though, and was bummed when she got the solo in Time Warp instead of Santana.

Yeah, I'm normally bad at spotting auto-tuning too, but dear Lard, Emma sounded horrible! I was actually looking forward to her singing Touch-a Touch Me and think she would have actually been really good if they had left her voice the fork alone.

Finn needs to wear those glasses all the time. I've always had a crush on him but MY GOD.

I've always loved Rachel...but she actually really bothered me this episode. Aaaaand I think the GQ shoot might me tainting her for me a bit. Which is silly but...yeah. I'm starting to think I wouldn't like her in real life.

What else? Brittany was awesome as Columbia! When she popped out during There's A Light she looked exactly like her! She and Santana were the only ones I felt nailed their part. Oh, and Kurt. Yes, Kurt! Wasn't expecting him to pull off Riff that well!

ETA: Does anyone know who sang Science Fiction Double Feature? Some parts sound like Quinn and some sound like Santana...the lips looks like Santana's I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just finished it. Do not want. I hated the changes to the lyrics. I hated Quinn as Magenta during the Time Warp. I hated the way most of the songs sounded. The episode came off almost like it was scripted - someone who'd never seen RH(P)S tries to produce a sanitised version of it and FAILS. It was terrible. And the premise - that a teacher would get his students to perform a very adult-themed musical to try to score with another member of faculty - was super sketchy and gross. (Just to be clear - I started going to midnight shows and performing as shadowcast when I was 16. I have no problem with the material and think it's pretty tame now, but it's still not appropriate in this situation.)

I love Mercedes' confidence, and she looked great, but she should not have been Frank. A woman wearing women's clothing is not a transvestite. And there was absolutely no subtlety in her interpretation of Sweet T.

I think the only thing I liked about this episode was Kurt as Riff Raff. He very nearly sounded like Richard O'Brien. But then the effect was ruined by forking Quinn (and Brad/Finn singing half of his lines - what the hell?!). I also liked that the guys admitted to having body image issues, and that they didn't do any kind of homophobic backpedaling thing when they were trying to reassure each other.

I would like all physical copies of this episode, including originals, to be consumed by flames and never spoken of again. I kinda wish I could wipe it from my memory, but then I might feel compelled to watch it again.

ETA - I'm glad there wasn't any story advancement in it so I don't feel the need to watch it again if I re-watch the series at some point. Also, I think Santana sang Science Fiction Double Feature. It sounded more like her voice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

rachell37 wrote:
Also, I think Santana sang Science Fiction Double Feature. It sounded more like her voice.

I thought it was either Tina or Quinn. I really couldn't tell.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

helsinki wrote:
Aaaaand I think the GQ shoot might me tainting her for me a bit.

I wish I could pull up the quote but Joel McHale was talking about this on The Soup last week. Lea Michele has a quote where she basically says she doesn't know how they got her to do those things, but she had a rocking body over the summer. Wow, bisque, really?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 pm 

amandabear wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
Also, I think Santana sang Science Fiction Double Feature. It sounded more like her voice.

I thought it was either Tina or Quinn. I really couldn't tell.

FOX confirmed that it's Santana.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

mixmaster_mo wrote:
helsinki wrote:
Aaaaand I think the GQ shoot might me tainting her for me a bit.

I wish I could pull up the quote but Joel McHale was talking about this on The Soup last week. Lea Michele has a quote where she basically says she doesn't know how they got her to do those things, but she had a rocking body over the summer. Wow, bisque, really?!

That doesn't even make sense! "Yeah, I don't know how that happened... but don't I look hot?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:33 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

rachell37 wrote:
I love Mercedes' confidence, and she looked great, but she should not have been Frank. A woman wearing women's clothing is not a transvestite. And there was absolutely no subtlety in her interpretation of Sweet T.

The thing is, it could have been a totally positive statement to have Mercedes in that role. They could have done it like, it doesn't matter what gender you are, anybody can play this role, it doesn't have to be the one guy who happens to be gay, Mercedes gets the part because (a) she wants it most and/or (b) she rocks the audition best. THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE! But instead they had to make it REALLY CLEAR that Mercedes got the part because it was NOT OKAY for a male actor to play the role that is TRADITIONALLY PLAYED BY A MALE ACTOR.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm about to watch Rocky Horror for the first time. I'll be sure to tell ever'body how much worse last night's episode is in comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:49 pm 

choirqueer wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

The thing is, it could have been a totally positive statement to have Mercedes in that role. They could have done it like, it doesn't matter what gender you are, anybody can play this role, it doesn't have to be the one guy who happens to be gay, Mercedes gets the part because (a) she wants it most and/or (b) she rocks the audition best. THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE! But instead they had to make it REALLY CLEAR that Mercedes got the part because it was NOT OKAY for a male actor to play the role that is TRADITIONALLY PLAYED BY A MALE ACTOR.

This.

Female Frank's aren't all that unusual. The problem is that Kurt objected (really? he was at home in that Lady Gaga costume) and that Mike Chang couldn't play a "tranny." I'm sad FOX wouldn't let John Stamos play the role.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mixmaster_mo wrote:
I'm about to watch Rocky Horror for the first time. I'll be sure to tell ever'body how much worse last night's episode is in comparison.

Just so you know, the movie is kinda terrible. You really should go to a midnight show with a shadowcast. That's the best way to watch it. Watching it alone on DVD just isn't the same.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:08 pm 

My sister and I used to watch the movie all of the time after school (it was *always* on). We both liked it before going to a performance.

We're both pretty cheeseball, though. We like terrible things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:29 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

It wasn't as bad as I expected (but my expectations were low), and I even had fun a few times throughout the episode. But the reason for Mercedes being Frank was bogus, and I hated that they changed the word "transsexual."

I thought Kurt did great as Riff; he was spot-on. Santana and Brittany were the FAR superior Magenta and Columbia. And Will grossed the hell out of me when he got shirtless. He's crossed so far over the line into skeevy that I find it hard to believe anyone would find him attractive now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:33 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Okay, I just watched it. I thought it was going to be kill-me awful, but it wasn't quite so bad, so I'm sort of okay with it. But every lyric change annoyed me. Why can't they say transsexual?

I was really mad when I found out a guy wasn't going to be Frank. I was just hoping they'd come up with a good reason for it. When Mercedes got up and said she wanted to do it, I was so sure they'd say "no, a guy has to play it" and she'd say "what the fizzle, didn't we already have this argument with Kurt and Defying Gravity? Who cares what the gender of the original actor was? I can do whateva. *breaks out the sass*" Alas, no such luck. It really sucks that they did the whole freak-out over a man in women's clothing.

And Toucha Touch Me: What. The. fork. "I need to get 'Toucha Touch Me' down by rehearsal." Are you kidding? It's all sung by Janet. How did Emma not call him out on that?? Emma: don't writhe on the table. Will: for god's sake keep your forking shirt on!

I like Science Fiction Double Feature. It was pleasant. I assume the full version is on the soundtrack? There's a light wasn't bad either. I guess since there were few objectionable lyrics and no character changes, I liked them.

rachell37 wrote:
I also liked that the guys admitted to having body image issues, and that they didn't do any kind of homophobic backpedaling thing when they were trying to reassure each other.

Me too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

rachell37 wrote:
mixmaster_mo wrote:

Just so you know, the movie is kinda terrible. You really should go to a midnight show with a shadowcast. That's the best way to watch it. Watching it alone on DVD just isn't the same.

If it wasn't the most bizarre movie I've ever seen, it was pretty damn close. But I seriously love young Tim Curry in thigh highs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tim Curry has the kind of animal magnatism that some of us could only dream of.
(This caused some confusion for me as a child because he was the voice of the toxic sludge in fern gully and he was so weirdly sexual.)

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:37 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Dammit Mo! Now I'm the only one who's never seen it.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i'm so sad that i don't even care about this show any more. this whole season i've been struggling to finish episodes. i haven't bothered to watch the last three. will has become completely insufferable, and the rest of the characters don't really seem to be getting plot lines that are going anywhere long term.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:04 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

joyfulgirl wrote:
Why can't they say transsexual?

Yeah, someone please explain to me why "tranny" is okay to say but "transsexual" isn't. It's okay to use a word that INSULTS trans people, but not a word that affirms us?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:15 pm 
Ninja Master

I watched the ep and quite liked it! But then I haven't seen the RHPS so all I recognised was the time warp.

And that pic of Will is creepy, as was that bit in the episode, but shirtless Will? YES! I still think he's hot and I don't think he was that douchey!! I do like John Stamos though and I like Emma and him together, even though I want to her to end up with Will.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 125  Next