| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87
 Post subject: Re: The Movie Log Thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:25 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

My nephew, his girlfriend and I went to see the new Jason Bourne movie a couple of weeks ago. I've never seen a Bourne movie before and was totally able to follow this one without any Bourne background whatsoever so that's good. The action was cartoonishly implausible though exciting and all the crazyass car chase special effects in this movie are totally exciting and heart pounding and all that, but I have to say the ending car chase sequence in this flick was no more exciting than the work of the nervy stunt drivers of yore who pulled off all the great classic car chase scenes from movies of the sixties and seventies without any tricks or special effects.

Entertaining flick overall. We saw it in some high definition theater that amped up the special effects and this is a great kind of movie to see in such a venue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:12 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

My coworker just hooked me up with her HBO Go information, so I watched SO MANY MOVIEEEES this weekend. I'm surprised I got out and was productive as I was, reflecting back on all the movie-watching I did, too. I watched:

The Jinx (fiiiiinally, was great)
Unfriended (haha yes, silly, but actually a fresh/innovative way of telling a horror story)
Maps to the Stars (Loved it, very dark humor, surprisingly un-Cronenberg-esque, by which I mean no oozing wounds or alien appendages)
High-Rise (got this on DVD from Netflix, very cool story with lots of potential, pretty to look at, but ultimately kinda 'meh')

Oh yeah and last week I watched 'Killer Legends', from the same filmmakers as 'Cropsey', it was pretty interesting. It takes a look at four urban legends and traces them back to actual events that likely inspired them. They talk about the phantom killer of Texarkana/the 'hookman' on lover's lane; a guy who poisoned his own son and the public paranoia about tainted Halloween candy; a girl who was murdered while babysitting in the 50s and the whole 'the call is coming from inside the house' legend; and the correlation between John Wayne Gacy and the alleged gangs of roving, child-abducting clowns in the 80s and 90s (although I think this is a midwest/Chicago-area only urban legend).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:35 pm 
BAD PASS

I tried to watch Unfriended on demand, and while my TV isn't super small, it's not big enough or close enough for me to read all the text in the movie, so I got mad and turned it off. Now get off my lawn, movie!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:18 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

It sounds like a really boring plot, but The Big Short is really good! I love the ending too. I think everyone needs to see this movie to understand our financial systems better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

saw Suicide Squad in 3D yesterday. while the 3D part was actually really awesome, the movie itself was not that awesome. super all over the place, disjointed, and they could have done better with the CG, fo 'sho!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I agree. Suicide Squad felt like at 65% complete movie to me, especially from a story/ dialogue standpoint. But I guess that's what you get when the studio decides to recut the movie...

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:53 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Watched an oldie, Miracle Mile. It's about a guy who answers a ringing payphone outside a diner and gets a message that Russian nukes are on the way. I thought it would be a suspensful thriller a la The Twilight Zone but instead it was kind of a hokey subpar action film with a bad love story thrown in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:27 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Took my brother to see Finding Dory and we both really enjoyed it. I thought it'd be too similar to Finding Nemo but it wasn't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:03 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I did a write-up on Time After Time (which is being remade into a tv series this year). My favorite part of the movie is when Jack the Ripper travels through time to San Francisco on November 5, 1979- which when and where I was born. COINCIDENCE?!?!?! Actually, yes. But a fun one nonetheless.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:19 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Keanu

I normally avoid movies with animals that have been trained to be 'actors' because it's just too exploit-y for me.
But I had thought that Keanu was CGI so I watched it. Those are real kitties (there is more than one cat playing Keanu) and they are monumentally adorable.
oh, and the movie was funny too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:04 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I saw Gone Girl last night. Jeeeeez, it was unsettling.

Also, Trent Reznor is so good at film soundtracks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 am 
BAD PASS

I watched The Burbs last night. I've seen it before, but gosh, I just really like it. And Corey Feldman.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I watched Creed and I really liked it. The best Rocky movie. It's basically a remake of the original, but updated to be less sexist and more diverse.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I went to see Southside with You last Sunday and it was good. This is a movie about the President and First Lady's first date. Parker Sawyers was uncannily like Barack Obama, but Tika Sumpter as Michelle was the movie's heart.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:27 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Pi_Face wrote:
I saw Gone Girl last night. Jeeeeez, it was unsettling.

That's about the only movie from the last few years I can think of that I really liked

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:40 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Mad Max: Fury Road

Really enjoyed this, especially the guy with the guitar on fire.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:54 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Sisters: Meh. It had its funny bits, but it felt like a mad libs/paint-by-numbers/insert your metaphor of choice movie. In short, it felt like a lot of Pohler/Fey stuff- kind of disappointing when you consider what they're really capable of when they get together.

Keanu: Pretty good! My favorite parts were "Heeeere's Kitty!" (when he has Keanu re-enact The Shining) and of course all the George Michael stuff. I've had 'freedom' stuck in my head all day. AND of course the fact that they went to a "Liam Neesons" movie. Ha!

Zooptopia: Cute, I guess, but all I could think of was "what are the obligate carnivores eating in this new society? Are they wearing leather shoes?" and all the other inconsistencies that omnivores never consider but inevitably arise when we anthropomorphize animals. The DMV workers all being sloths got me, though. And the teeny tiny rodent village was the best thing ever, as was the mafia don. Also good Breaking Bad reference.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

La La Land. One of the best movies I have seen in a long time.
Magical.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hoodwinked wrote:
La La Land. One of the best movies I have seen in a long time.
Magical.

Yes, I agree on La La Land! Fabulous movie. Have you seen Moonlight? It's also excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:51 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Captain Fantastic
meh

13 Hours
very good, but very Michael Bay-ish
sad.

Need to see Fences, Hidden Figures and Moonlight
sounds like a marathon is in order.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:42 pm 
Hip Goiter

Hiieeee it's Oscar weekend!!! I know it is a bullshiitake move to just post a link to my blog but I guess I'm a bullshiitake person because here is my annual recap of all (not all, sorry) the Oscary movies. Would love to know your thoughts and whether you agree or disagree. If anyone reads all of it you really deserve cookies and I will deliver. I ramble.

http://www.laughfrodisiac.com/entertain ... ore-sunday

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:51 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I will totally read that when the movies finally come to the library and I can watch them. Every year the Oscars is about movies I've not seen yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Manchester by the Sea

Based on reviews and overall buzz, I really expected this to be an ugly cry fest but frankly, I was as dry as the Sahara.

Casey Affleck did not emote at all and while his situation was very sad and his lack of emotion/reaction was supposed to show how vacant and dead inside he was (I guess), it just left me feeling emotionless too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87