| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie Log Thread
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:03 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Heathers- I don't know why how I hadn't seen this before? I thought it was really good

Office Space- I liked this too

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:40 pm 
Ninja Master

Captain America Civil War. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:17 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

baps wrote:
The Intern.

Bag of shiitake.

I totally enjoyed the intern but then I just watched Eat Pray Love (I know! I can only watch Japanese Netflix so my choices are limited!) and, mansplaining characters aside, didn't totally hate it.

RandiJM wrote:
I watched Sisters on the plane, figuring spending a few hours with Tina & Amy would be comforting even if it wasn't a good movie, as I'd heard. Not only was it not good, but it made my anxiety even worse. It was actively bad. Dammit.

I liked Sisters too! I feel like if you enjoy stupid bro comedies with Seth Rogan (like Neighbours) then Sisters is just a female version of that. I wanted a better movie than that because Tina but it didn't think it was actively bad.

Something Borrowed on the other hand? I watched that yesterday and I wish I could get those hours back. What a hideous movie.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:33 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Kristy, which surprised me by how much I enjoyed it.

Gideon's Army, which was inspiring but also sooooooo depressing. I don't understand why our government/justice system works so that prosecution is so well-funded, but public defense is nowhere near as well-funded. My extremely simplistic and likely not-at-all-plausible solution would be to force the DA and the Public Defender to split one budget. Every time the DA wants to file new charges against someone, that means another cash injection the public defender's office gets. It would mean better defense for the indigent and would probably discourage the DA from filing charges on petty, minor crimes, freeing up resources for more serious crimes and also giving young people a chance to straighten out their lives before a single accusation ruins their entire lives (they may only end up serving a couple of years, but they may also give up their right to vote, their right to apply for a multitude of jobs, and many more things).

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:33 am 
Hip Goiter

jojo wrote:
baps wrote:
The Intern.

Bag of shiitake.

I totally enjoyed the intern but then I just watched Eat Pray Love (I know! I can only watch Japanese Netflix so my choices are limited!) and, mansplaining characters aside, didn't totally hate it.

RandiJM wrote:
I watched Sisters on the plane, figuring spending a few hours with Tina & Amy would be comforting even if it wasn't a good movie, as I'd heard. Not only was it not good, but it made my anxiety even worse. It was actively bad. Dammit.

I liked Sisters too! I feel like if you enjoy stupid bro comedies with Seth Rogan (like Neighbours) then Sisters is just a female version of that. I wanted a better movie than that because Tina but it didn't think it was actively bad.

Something Borrowed on the other hand? I watched that yesterday and I wish I could get those hours back. What a hideous movie.

Lol I loved The Intern (RDN and Annie Haths??!!) but Sisters JOJO you KNOW I can't abide destroying a nice home and OMG THERE WAS A SINKHOLE DO YOU KNOW HOW SCARED I AM OF SINKHOLES??!!! :P

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

we watched High Rise this past weekend because the preview looked really interesting. all i can say about it, what the fizzle?!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I saw Now You See Me this weekend. I had not heard of it until recently and really enjoyed it. It's an Ocean's 11-type heist movie basically with an incredible cast.

I hear they're thinking about an all-female Ocean's 11 reboot. Could be fun! I like smart, creative movies so heist films are right up my alley.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:49 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I saw the 30th Anniversary screening of Blue Velvet with Alice1derland and her bf and it was awesome! It's been a few years since I've seen it, and seeing it on the big screen... just, woah. Such an incredible movie.

Unfortunately I didn't get to enjoy the first 10 minutes or so of the movie because some rando street person wandered in, stinking to high heaven of BO and malt liquor, sat down right next to me, and started loudly eating snacks out of his three various crinkly plastic bags because, San Francisco. He offered me some snacks, though! This was at Alamo, though, so the server quickly noticed him and the laborious process of getting him to leave started. I had to laugh but at the same time, jesus christ, don't I deal with enough of this stuff at work?

The other minor bummer is I looked up where it was filmed and wouldn't it be lovely to go on a little trip there and most of the stuff is still standing BUT it's in North Carolina and I'm not stepping foot in that state until they sort out their transphobic bullshiitake.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

baps wrote:

I couldn't agree more. A friend said it was really an Avengers movie and she didn't know why they titled it Captain America. Too true. I hadn't seen the last Avengers movie so I was unfamiliar with some of the characters. I hate how Marvel is making their movies now-- you have to see all their earlier movies to get what's going on in a new one, even if it's purportedly about a different hero. I'm not on board with that.

However, I still might see Spider-Man when that comes out. That was the only good part of the movie, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:31 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

X-Men: Apocalypse - Meh. Overall it was enjoyable but there were things in it that annoyed me.

Spoilered just in case:

Early on, might not be very spoilery:
Spoiler: show
Two female characters fridged at the same time, and then the same male character has visions of his mother's death a couple of times (even though his father died at the same time, we don't get a visual of the father).

Mid-way through, but something we all saw coming:
Wolverine deus ex machina. Woverine started out as one of my favourite characters, and now I'm just tired of him.

At the end:
Really obvious foreshadowing to the Dark Phoenix storyline - I say foreshadowing because it felt more like they were saying "this is coming" rather than "remember this", because they surely don't want to remind us of X3.

I'm not sure where they can go from here. It felt a lot like the end of the last Avengers film with the newest official X-Men assembling for training and being told "you are X-Men", so it's clear they'll continue to make these until the end of time.

Casting-ish/character development:
They made a big deal of casting Jubilee and then she did fork all for the whole film. We never saw her powers. Also, Scott initially dislikes Jean until he's able to see and then is instantly in love with her because she's so beautiful. And how the hell old is Quicksilver supposed to be? He looks the same age as last time and this is 10 years later. And he still lives with his mother who looked like she was in her early 40s.

But I did love that they used a snippet of the cartoon theme song right at the end of the Fox theme at the beginning.

I felt bad for Sophie Turner since using her powers mostly meant putting a finger to her temple and squinting/grimacing. Also, I'm still sad that Moira MacTaggert isn't Scottish.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:05 am 
Ninja Master

LFL wrote:
baps wrote:

I couldn't agree more. A friend said it was really an Avengers movie and she didn't know why they titled it Captain America. Too true.

Yep I'd agree with that. In fact in some places it seemed a lot about Iron Man. It just got really boring at the end especially.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

baps wrote:
LFL wrote:
baps wrote:

I couldn't agree more. A friend said it was really an Avengers movie and she didn't know why they titled it Captain America. Too true.

Yep I'd agree with that. In fact in some places it seemed a lot about Iron Man. It just got really boring at the end especially.

Yup! It was almost an Iron Man movie. And Iron Man is my least favorite hero in The Avengers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:32 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I saw Sing Street the other night and loved it. Great feel good movie with an awesome soundtrack.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:53 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Suffragette - ok but given that the subject matter should be able to write itself a fantastic movie, I thought it fell flat on a lot of levels.

The Killing Fields - oldie that I never saw before. Sad. So sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:03 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Hoodwinked wrote:
The Killing Fields - oldie that I never saw before. Sad. So sad.

So powerful, especially when you consider the lead actor Haing Ngor had actually lived through the real-life killing fields himself.

ETA: re-reading his Wikipedia entry and man, I hope there's a cushy afterlife or a very nice reincarnation for this guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haing_S._Ngor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:24 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ex Machina. Pseudo-intellectual drivel. Sooo many errors and illogical things. Also boring.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:49 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

fruitbat wrote:
Also boring.

I thought so, too! Everyone is raving about it but I just thought it was kinda meh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:02 am 
BAD PASS

Has anyone seen the zombie Pride & Prejudice movie? Wondering if it's worth the $3.99 Amazon Prime rental fee.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I guess it depends on what you're hoping to get from it. I saw it a while ago, but iirc it was just middle of the road for all things - zombies, love story, action - and doesn't fully deliver on anything because it has so much going on. If you've seen the BBC version (with Colin Firth), you'll probably be disappointed in this one just because the acting isn't nearly as good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hollie wrote:
Has anyone seen the zombie Pride & Prejudice movie? Wondering if it's worth the $3.99 Amazon Prime rental fee.

Could always Redbox it for a dollar fiddy, but it's only 42% on Rotten Tomatoes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:39 pm 
Stepford Vegan

recently we watched:

triple 9 - i think if the story line did not go off into a bunch of different directions it would have been a lot better.

zootopia - cute. i like the doughnut eating desk cat!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:52 pm 
Hip Goiter

Just wanted to remind everyone that the poss greatest movie ever made is coming out this weekend!

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hollie wrote:

I happened to have this from my library and gave it a shot. It's absolutely horrible. Cringeworthy. Now I know why it took so long to come out. I'd skip it if I were you.

There was another movie - Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter - that came from a book from Quirk books and that one was tolerable. I actually kinda liked it. But if you are looking for something 'austen' related, check out Lost in Austen. Such a fun movie and a unique take on the original Pride and Prejudice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:26 pm 
Stepford Vegan

i want to see secret life of pets! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:24 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

RandiJM wrote:
Just wanted to remind everyone that the poss greatest movie ever made is coming out this weekend!

I'm excited! I asked Biscuit on my way out the door today if she was going to massage her back with my stand mixer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87  Next