| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie Log Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:23 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ghostbusters! I loved it so much! I had pretty high expectations, and I'm happy to say that they were almost entirely met. I'm probably overlooking some flaws, and it did rely a lot on nostalgia, but honestly IDGAF. It worked for me. They had cameos from almost every member of the original cast, and they were so good (they even managed to get Harold Ramis in there, and the way they did it was beautiful). The cast was great and it was funny as hell. I'm seeing it again Friday, and I am totally on board for a sequel (which I hope will make Holtzman explicitly queer rather just implicitly, though that might just be wishful thinking because she was hot af).

OMG I just realised this - there was no romantic subplot! The overarching plot was basically about the awesomeness of female friendship + bonus science! Erin was attracted to Kevin but only in a crush-y way, not in a trying to date way. Well, that's just made me love it even more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:19 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

rachell37 wrote:
Ghostbusters! I loved it so much!

No romantic subplot? You mean they didn't have a character creepily stalk someone who repeatedly rejected them and then end up with them at the end? The original movie had a very disturbing/sexist view of romance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:12 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I was confused/jealous until I read today that it's already been released in the UK. Lucky jerks!

I want to see that, but there are a ton of other movies in theaters (or soon in theaters) I want to see, and it's really messing with my average two-trips-to-cinema-per-year quota I've got going on. There's Secret Life of Pets, Weiner Dog, and a few others. I wanted to see The Neon Demon but apparently I was blinking when it was in local theaters because now it's gone and nowhere to be found. Hopefully I can catch it at a second-run theater before it hits DVD!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been watching loads of stuff on Netflix recently. three that I thought were really good were Robot & Frank, Election and I Love You Phillip Morris (I didn't know anything about the last one before watching it so the twists really caught me out, in a good way). I also re-watched Jackie Brown, having seen it plenty of times before, still enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:38 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

A Girl Like Her gives a lot of feels.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:40 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

dropscone wrote:
Election

I remember loving this movie when I saw it. I recently read this interesting piece and did a little sleuthing and figure the movie the author is talking about is most likely Election: http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me ... -movie-set

I finished Boyhood last night, after starting it Wednesday and realizing "holy shiitake, this movie is long." It was a touching movie, and a very cool exercise in filmmaking, and Patricia Arquette was pretty amazing, but overall I didn't understand the hype. I think some of it has to do with the fact that it was very much a male-centric story, in that it's told from the point of view of a boy becoming a man. And that's important! That's a sentiment that half the world can tap into- but I couldn't help but be blown away by the performance of the woman who played his sister. She went through the exact same process as him, she aged on camera and was involved in this yearly process as much as he was, but she got none of the press or attention while I thought her character and her persona really stole all the scenes they shared. I'm not saying women don't have their own coming-of-age movies (Diary of a Teenage Girl is a really excellent recent one that comes to mind), but for all the acclaim Boyhood got, I guess I was a little disappointed to see that it wasn't a movie made for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:54 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I wasn't a huge fan of Boyhood. I figured all the attention was just because of the concept. Nobody else is making 12 year long movies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:55 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Tigon wrote:
I wasn't a huge fan of Boyhood. I figured all the attention was just because of the concept. Nobody else is making 12 year long movies.

I mean, it is a pretty cool concept, but... not that revolutionary. We watch child actors grow and mature on TV shows all the dang time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

That'd be neat too. To take a long-running TV show and condense it into best episodes so that you literally see a child grow into adulthood in a few hours.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:33 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I mean, it is a pretty cool concept, but... not that revolutionary. We watch child actors grow and mature on TV shows all the dang time.

I agree, although I liked Boyhood a lot. I liked that it approached coming of age in what was, to me, a different angle from a lot of mainstream movies. Same with the concept of masculinity (i.e. masculinity and sensitivity weren't portrayed as mutually exclusive, as they are in a lot of mainstream T.V./films). The actress who played Sam for most of the movie is Lorelai Linklater, Richard Linklater's daughter, which I think is cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:57 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ghostbusters again because <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:09 pm 
Hip Goiter

Omg Rachel you are making me so jealous! Twice already!! I MUST see tomorrow.

dropscone wrote:
I've been watching loads of stuff on Netflix recently. three that I thought were really good were Robot & Frank, Election and I Love You Phillip Morris

ROBOT AND FRANK HEART EMOJI HEART EMOJI TEAR FACE EMOJI TEAR FACE EMOJI I AM NOT ON MY PHONE

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:33 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I saw Anomalisa. I really liked it, but it's not a feel-good movie. It's an artistic statement about society with lots to think about. The main character is a bad person and it's a sad film overall. I feel like it's about getting into the head of how someone like the main character sees the world to explain their actions, so it can be kind of creepy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:50 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

^^ totally. It's an amazing film, conceptually and artistically, and it gives you a lot to think about. I'm still thinking about it and I saw it months ago in the theater! But definitely not a feel-good movie, hahah.

I think I dropped Boyhood into a dead mailbox, so I've been streaming all weekend. Dethgasm (pretty funny), When Animals Dream (didn't like it), The Sisterhood of Night (A great movie for young teen girls).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:34 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ghostbusters for the 3rd time because I wanted to see it in IMAX 3D. If you haven't seen it yet, this is the way to go. I usually hate seeing stuff in 3D, and I did come away with a headache (worth it), but you'll have the best experience in 3D (if you can deal). It was actually done really well and made some of the ghosts scarier.

It seems trivial to say that I think it's important for girls/young women to see this film, but it's actually pretty empowering. As I mentioned upthread, there's no romantic subplot, and someone else pointed out (off thread) that there are no body-/slut-shaming comments. Four diverse women (3 of whom are over 40) are presented as funny, intelligent and competent in fields usually dominated by men. Erin is praised by her boss for her mind and her potential to contribute to science. Even after setbacks, they're all sure of their own worth and fight for the things that matter to them. This is the kind of film I wish was around when I was younger.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:49 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I just got back from seeing it and man do I agree with all of that. Before I continue though, I just need to make it known, on the record, that Bustin' Makes Me Feel Good. That important business out of the way, YES, it was one of those rare movies where you look back and realize wow, there was not a single thing in this movie that made me feel bad about being x, y, or z. I was happy this movie was coming out, but now that I've seen it, I'm freaking ecstatic. I'm ecstatic that there are little girls watching this movie and it will become a treasured part of their childhoods and who they are just as much as the original was for our generation, but with the important change that it was written for them.

All the stars are gorgeous and I want them to be my best friends, I loved Melissa McCarthy's whole style/look in this, I loved all the cameos*, and I. LOVED. That Slimer is back and has a friend!

Now if we can just get a reboot of The Real Ghostbusters. That show was my jam growing up!!!

*correction: I did not love the Ozzy Osbourne cameo, I thought it was hackneyed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I just got back from seeing it and man do I agree with all of that. Before I continue though, I just need to make it known, on the record, that Bustin' Makes Me Feel Good. That important business out of the way, YES, it was one of those rare movies where you look back and realize wow, there was not a single thing in this movie that made me feel bad about being x, y, or z. I was happy this movie was coming out, but now that I've seen it, I'm freaking ecstatic. I'm ecstatic that there are little girls watching this movie and it will become a treasured part of their childhoods and who they are just as much as the original was for our generation, but with the important change that it was written for them.

All the stars are gorgeous and I want them to be my best friends, I loved Melissa McCarthy's whole style/look in this, I loved all the cameos*, and I. LOVED. That Slimer is back and has a friend!

Now if we can just get a reboot of The Real Ghostbusters. That show was my jam growing up!!!

*correction: I did not love the Ozzy Osbourne cameo, I thought it was hackneyed.

You summed everything up perfectly! I completely agree with you. I told my husband on the way home that it made me want to re-watch The Real Ghostbusters. :)

The women were just so natural & real & goofy & smart & lovable. I was torn between who I liked best (like it matters?), but I think it may be Holtzman. She just seemed so unique.

Also, I thought the movie was terrifically funny.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:06 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I loved that there were just a few scant nods to the controversy over the film- at least I think they were nods, but they could just be a reflection of sexist attitudes in our society in general. Like when they're looking at comments on the youtube video and the first one is something like "these bisques can't fight ghosts" and it was such a funny line because they were so obviously kicking asparagus.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:13 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I loved that there were just a few scant nods to the controversy over the film- at least I think they were nods, but they could just be a reflection of sexist attitudes in our society in general. Like when they're looking at comments on the youtube video and the first one is something like "these bisques can't fight ghosts" and it was such a funny line because they were so obviously kicking asparagus.

I figured those were real comments from when the film was announced, which I thought was pretty funny as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:15 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The Secret Life of Pets.

I have to admit I was really disappointed with this.
It seemed like just one chase scene after another, and tons of unnecessary violence -- felt like I was watching some cop movie. just not at all what I was expecting.
yes, there was a good message about animals being disposed of etc etc but overall, not that great.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:11 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

10 Cloverfield Lane. Oooh, this movie was good. I almost wish it had a different title and wasn't marketed as being in the Cloverfield universe, because how much more horrifying and suspenseful would the movie be if the viewer didn't know whether or not John Goodman was telling the truth about the alien attack or not? Even so, it was such a well-made film that I even began to question that knowledge, myself! It was a really good take on the cataclysmic survival genre.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Erika I really liked 10 Cloverfield Lane too! I was confused the whole time about why it was a Cloverfield movie, but if you ignore that it helps!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes! I third this! The movie was pretty fast-paced & creepy & John Goodman is just. so. intense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:31 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Zula wrote:
Yes! I third this! The movie was pretty fast-paced & creepy & John Goodman is just. so. intense.

John Goodman is a freakin' national treasure. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything where he's phoning it in.

I wrote up a really dumb movie from 1992 where Christian Slater basically plays a live-action Poochie (a la The Simpsons) and joins a civilian police agency. Read at your peril: www.nortonsmoviemaps.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:12 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and while it was still dumb, I liked it better than the first one. Not only because the apes in this one aren't in a lab being tortured but rising up and fighting back, but mostly because seeing an orangutan riding a horse made me laugh uncontrollably. I also really enjoyed seeing chimps screaming and shooting machine guns (see my avatar; apparently primates and guns are hilarious to me).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87  Next