| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie Log Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:04 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks Acr and Kiddo. Yes, I sort of got the gist that it wasn't about Scientology per se, but that it was more alluded to it. I get what you are saying Acr: the background could be that if one of many cultish groups probably, but I think they truly are hinting at Scientology. I'll check it out.

I have so many movies (like books) I want to watch! That, I have Lincoln and Winter's Bone on the DVR, I want to watch Love Actually because its Christmas, I want to see the next Hunger Games and American Hustle, husband wants to watch Man of Steel this weekend... such problems, right.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:13 am 
rowdily playing checkers

I'm looking forward to Her. It's weird to say that Spike Jonze is my favorite science fiction director, but I guess it's true.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm watching a deliciously awful disaster movie. I've already forgotten the name, but some people, not sure who, were experimenting on something involving a nuke and an asteroid, not sure what or why. End result was they did something to the asteroid, not sure what, that caused Earth to move closer to the sun, not sure why, and the climate went into heat overdrive and everybody and their estranged wife and estranged daughter, with the obligatory undesirable boyfriend, has to get to the airport to fly to the Arctic.

Pretty sure they are making up the plot as they go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:37 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I just watched the documentary Talhotblonde on netflix. It is about an online relationship gone tragic. I did not see that twist coming.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:34 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

linanil wrote:
We've been watching some MSTK on netflix. I highly, highly recommend Werewolf. Pod people was pretty good. We are thinking of watching (uncommented) Troll 2 next week sometime. Although there is a rifftrax available for it.

Troll 2 is so hard to watch without commentary! Do you know about Best Worst Movie? the documentary about the making of Troll 2? it's great and also on netflix.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:35 am 
WRETCHED

ijustdiedinside wrote:
linanil wrote:
We've been watching some MSTK on netflix. I highly, highly recommend Werewolf. Pod people was pretty good. We are thinking of watching (uncommented) Troll 2 next week sometime. Although there is a rifftrax available for it.

Troll 2 is so hard to watch without commentary! Do you know about Best Worst Movie? the documentary about the making of Troll 2? it's great and also on netflix.

Yeah we watched some of the best worst movie. Which is why I want to watch Troll 2.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

Picked up a bunch of movies from the library. Watched 'Red 2' and thought it was OK. I really enjoyed Red but this one fell a bit flat for me. Last night was 'This is the End' and I thought it was hysterical. So much better than I thought. Love the actors playing themselves. I also picked up 'Prisoners' which I can't wait to see.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Having a very hard time getting through Cloud Atlas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:14 am 
***LIES!!!***

Ugh. Terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:14 am 
WELFARIST!

mumbles wrote:
I'm looking forward to Her. It's weird to say that Spike Jonze is my favorite science fiction director, but I guess it's true.

Yeah, I read about this and am looking forward to this! I don't know much about Spike Jonzeses other movietorial directions, but I know (I think?) he did that fun Beastie Boys music vid, Sabotage some years back (insert William Shatner saying "Sobotage" here).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:21 am 
WELFARIST!

I saw some terrific movies on the TCM cruise--which was so much fun that I'm going again next year. Anyway, many were already-seens (i.e., Bride of Frankenstein, Titanic (circa 1952 version with Robert Wagner), Some Like It Hot, Double Indemnity, Citizen Kane - with an intro by the Mankiewicz father and son, Ben and Frank--all these movies were re-sees but have never been more fun for me to see!) but I did see a couple of new ones like Babyface with Barbara Stanwyck (with a great intro by some movie guy who knew his stuff and was a very entertaining speaker--sadly forget his name--but he's all pre-code Hollywood knowledge type deal) and Charade with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, which I enjoyed but was maybe a bit slick for me but an enjoyable view nevertheless. I saw most of Her Majesty's Secret Service (George Lazenby as Bond) and I am not much of a Bond film person at all but I really did like that one. It was so quintessentially campy sixties in vibe, the ski chases were thrilling and Telly Salvalas made a good villain--though I was often distracted by his strange smoking style--how he holds the cigarette with his thumb and index finger--awkward affectation). Good shew though, really good shews.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

American Hustle.
a solid B minus with a hint of disappointment.

thought it was good but not the "fun ride/4 stars" that the reviews claimed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:29 pm 

seitanicverses wrote:
I saw some terrific movies on the TCM cruise--which was so much fun that I'm going again next year. Anyway, many were already-seens (i.e., Bride of Frankenstein, Titanic (circa 1952 version with Robert Wagner), Some Like It Hot, Double Indemnity, Citizen Kane - with an intro by the Mankiewicz father and son, Ben and Frank--all these movies were re-sees but have never been more fun for me to see!) but I did see a couple of new ones like Babyface with Barbara Stanwyck (with a great intro by some movie guy who knew his stuff and was a very entertaining speaker--sadly forget his name--but he's all pre-code Hollywood knowledge type deal) and Charade with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, which I enjoyed but was maybe a bit slick for me but an enjoyable view nevertheless. I saw most of Her Majesty's Secret Service (George Lazenby as Bond) and I am not much of a Bond film person at all but I really did like that one. It was so quintessentially campy sixties in vibe, the ski chases were thrilling and Telly Salvalas made a good villain--though I was often distracted by his strange smoking style--how he holds the cigarette with his thumb and index finger--awkward affectation). Good shew though, really good shews.

I had not heard of that cruise and looked it up after seeing your post. It sounds fantastic. I love love love movies and having all of these screenings and discussions about them would be so glorious. So glad you had fun!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

saw the second Anchorman movie the other day. i was really disappointedfaced. i think they held back a bunch for the PG-13 rating and i dunno, they were just trying too hard. don't get me wrong, i laughed a bunch, but i also cringed a lot as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:36 pm 
Hip Goiter

Hoodwinked wrote:
American Hustle.

Totally agree and I'm soo glad someone agrees (there are so few of us!). I think people are dazzled by the admittedly fantastic acting (mostly from Amy Adams), the glitz and the look of it, and they overlook the fact that the plot is weak. Like it was so meta - the writers are pulling one over on us too. :)

Watched "Inside Llewyn Davis" yesterday, which means I've now seen every awardsy/winter movie but the foreign ones. I do not want to see another movie for a long time.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:32 pm 

Red 2.
waste of my damn time

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ariann wrote:
Having a very hard time getting through Cloud Atlas.

Did you understand it? I haven't seen it but I've heard more than 1 person say they didn't know what the hell was going on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:18 am 
WELFARIST!

Hoodwinked wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

I had not heard of that cruise and looked it up after seeing your post. It sounds fantastic. I love love love movies and having all of these screenings and discussions about them would be so glorious. So glad you had fun!!

It was so much fun! Perfect for movie lovers! And you meet lots of friendly people who love movies as much as you do! (I think TCM even says that in the advertisement and it's true). Also, the next cruise is going to be late October so I smell a Halloween/spooky movie theme which tells me I MUST go. Damn, it was expensive though. Still paying it off and will be for the next few months--then I have to start saving for the next! That said, I still felt it was worth every penny for the fun I had and would be less expensive for a couple/if you find someone to share a cabin. I kept my cabin to myself so had to pay double occupancy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:00 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

RandiJM wrote:
Hoodwinked wrote:
American Hustle.

Totally agree and I'm soo glad someone agrees (there are so few of us!). I think people are dazzled by the admittedly fantastic acting (mostly from Amy Adams), the glitz and the look of it, and they overlook the fact that the plot is weak. Like it was so meta - the writers are pulling one over on us too. :)

I felt the same way. I still keep thinking about the movie and between my love of the 70s and Christian Bale, I am bound to be biased. I was kind of disappointed while watching it but still loved it. And Bradley Cooper did a way better job than I expected.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hobbit 2 - It was alright.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:29 pm 
WRETCHED

We watched/finished a few this weekend.

Super (unexpected over the top violence, but wasn't bad, it is a quirky film)
What Maisie Knew (not bad, kind of sweet although unrealistic ending)
Gallowwalkers (we stopped about 20 minutes in, pretty bad, but it was Wesley Snipes so we wanted to try it)
MST3K: Touch of Satan (pretty good for MST3K, pretty bad movie but not the worse we've seen so far for MST3K)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Seitanverses: the cruise sounds like fun. Glad you had a good time.

Charade is one of my favorite movies. I love anything with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. To Catch A Thief is another big favorite.

There are also some great Doris Day movies with the same sort of screwball/spy vibe.

Has anybody seen the Russian movie The Diamond Arm? It reminds me a lot of Charade.

I consider ONHSS somewhat of a tragedy. A magnificent script and Diana Rigg, but no Sean Connery.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I forgot to mention that we saw Catching Fire last week. It was pretty good. I'm annoyed that we have to wait until 2015 for the conclusion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:54 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh we watched Sweeney last night... it wasn't good but my husband loves Ray Winstone so I watched the beginning then half watched the rest while doing other things.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:04 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Watched the Wolf of Wall Street last night...I think I would've really enjoyed it if it was about an hour shorter...at 3 hours though...I just spent the second half waiting for it to end. I watched 12 Years a Slave the night before, also long...but SO SO Powerful!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 67  Next