| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64
 Post subject: Re: The Movie Log Thread
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:11 am 
Nailed to the V

^watched Fruitvale tonight and was really impressed. I agree with previous statements that it should be mandatory viewing for all North American citizens. I don't think I will ever forget the message of this movie.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Crazy Stupid Love was forking awful. I'm so disappointed in the actors for being in it because that's mostly what convinced me to watch it. I should've turned it off as soon as Ryan Gosling's PUA started talking about helping Steve Carrell find his lost manhood, but I kept watching. It served up every pile of patriarchal horseshit you could cram into a film - 13yo encouraged to stalk his 17yo babysitter in the guise of "never giving up on your soul mate" (even after she tells him multiple times that his behaviour made her uncomfortable, in the end she rewards him with naked photos of herself); men fighting over women, a scene that ended with the cops essentially telling them to keep it inside as if the only reason they were intervening was because they were outdoors; a woman who goes publicly nuts on a guy for not calling her after they'd slept together; the aforementioned lost manhood, which was "recovered" by a bro makeover and lessons on how to objectify women. Oh, and every woman but one was what would be considered conventionally attractive, but the men ranged from schlub to super-hot.

I can't say I can't believe this film was made because it's a pretty stereotypical rom-com, but I can't believe these particular actors demeaned themselves to make it. Avoid at all costs.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

Grey Gardens (1976 documentary): Didn't like it as much as I expected to. Kind of dull, actually. Nothing particularly insightful or stirring for me in it. Too bad. My mind wandered and it didn't keep my attention.

DOA (1950): Good film noir. Not the best, but a good'un and worth watching if you're in the mood for one and have a chance. It was my very first intro to film noir many years ago (twenty or so?) and I remember see it on TVO one Friday night and thinking....hmmm...I do like this. It was intriguing. I liked it just as much this second time seeing it, twenty years later.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Just rented Gambit from red box on a whim bc I was with my sister and from the cover I thought it might be a Rom Com-- it stars Colin Firth and Cameron Diaz. Apparently it's a new Cohen Brothers film that totally flew by my radar. I would've never rented it for her bc my sis more of a sit com/ rom com girl, but she really enjoyed it as did I. It reminded me of something along the lines of Burn After Reading.

Something funny (and might be annoying although I think it was purposeful) was the use of super fake overdone accents. I normally don't notice-- like, even tho I'm from close to where they film Walking Dead, the accents on that show don't bother me-- but Diaz kept flitting in and out of her I-guess-it's-Texas accent and there was a German character in it that layed heavy on the shtick, but after the introduction of a group of Japanese characters, I had to presume it was purposeful-- a play on perception, perhaps? Anyway it was a good black comedy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:08 am 
rowdily playing checkers

The Edge of Tomorrow

More like The Edge of My Seat! This new rockumentary features the titular Irish crooner fighting aliens in Tomorrow AD! Tom Cruz, who you may remember from Danger Zone, plays Phil Connors, a ranking weatherman who is living the same day over and over again in this science fiction thinker. And boy, does he! Emily Brunch plays Angela Verdun, known to her fans in the future as Lady Big Girl Pants, who isn't living the same day over and over again in a surprising twist (keep 'em coming, Hollywood!) They fall in love and plan a nice trip to Gay Par-ee (spoilers: oo-la-la!). Laughs comes a mile a minute in what is probably the best romantic comedy of 2014. Or should I say 2032!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:25 am 
Saggy Butt

mumbles wrote:
The Edge of Tomorrow

More like The Edge of My Seat! This new rockumentary features the titular Irish crooner fighting aliens in Tomorrow AD! Tom Cruz, who you may remember from Danger Zone, plays Phil Connors, a ranking weatherman who is living the same day over and over again in this science fiction thinker. And boy, does he! Emily Brunch plays Angela Verdun, known to her fans in the future as Lady Big Girl Pants, who isn't living the same day over and over again in a surprising twist (keep 'em coming, Hollywood!) They fall in love and plan a nice trip to Gay Par-ee (spoilers: oo-la-la!). Laughs comes a mile a minute in what is probably the best romantic comedy of 2014. Or should I say 2032!

This just made my whole morning.

Off to buy tickets! Hopefully in Imax/3D/as terrifying as possible!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:56 am 
Not NOT A Furry

^^^ better than a David Denby review, mumbles!

me and the bf saw it. honestly, i thought it was a well done cheezy sci fi action movie. tom cruise does what he does best at hero and sleeze ball. i thought emily blount was great. the editing was really well done. the movement of the aliens was really cool. i'm SO GLAD i saw it on the normal screen bc 3D gives me motion sickness and i'm sure i would've been reeling from the cut scene to cut scene-- it was a doug liman, so of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I saw Any Day Now and 12 Years a Slave last week. They were both super depressing in their own way, but also really good. Strangely, I would say 12YaS was more uplifting (in the end) than ADN - at least the former had a happy ending.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Went to see Godzilla today with a friend and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. She loves action/apocalypse/monster movies so it wasn't a hard sell for her. I wasn't sure I'd love it because it's certainly not my typical drama but I thought it was well done and I was certainly stressed out all the way through even though I found a lot of it predictable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:51 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i watched the watcher tonight, because i didn't know better. imdb tells me there was a bidding war for the distribution rights at some point. i assume it was all about keanu and his smooth moves.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:38 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

The last movie I saw was How To Train Your Dragon 2. I liked it. I know that some people didn't like certain aspects of it but I didn't mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:26 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

boyhood just made me feel every single feeling i've ever felt in my life, but in a three-hour window, which was apparently way too much emotion for me. it was so lovely, but now i feel overwhelmed and adrenaline-jittery and weirdly sad, and i want to apologize to everyone and thank everyone and watch the sun set from the top of a mountain and shiitake. go home, feels, you're drunk.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:13 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I can't wait to see it!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:57 am 
WELFARIST!

Salesman (1969): Some "cinema verite Mayslie bros" documentary (something like that) they ran on TCM last Thurs. I was enjoying it but then I got a call halfway through I had to take and was otherwise distracted in the second half. Anyway, it was about door-to-door salesmen of a bygone area selling lavishly illustrated bibles to lower income folks somewhere in suburban New York state and Florida (I think). Very interesting mind games on behalf of the corporation (basically at their sales meetings the message was 'if you can't sell these you're a failure.') I do wish I could have paid attention to the whole thing because the first half was pretty all right but maybe I'll catch up on youtube or sumpin.

Still liked "Match Factory Girl" best of all the movies I've seen lately. I keep remembering scenes and moments and admiring how all details were handled in that film. It haunts me. (Haunts in a good way, i.e., intriguing story and just images and scenes from the movie that left a lingering impression because of their power). So few words in the dialogue, so much conveyed through gesture, expression, movement, body language. If I was an actor I'd study the actors in this film to learn from them. Especially the lead girl.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I saw a ton of movies on holiday.

Edge of Tomorrow - I finished the book it's based on right before we saw it, and that really coloured my perception of the film. Mostly I kept thinking about Tom Cruise taking another role from a Japanese actor (following on from his white guy as last samurai turn). The film was so much less interesting and intense than the book.

Thor: The Dark World - Boring. This has been my least favourite Marvel film to date.

Muppets Most Wanted - simple but cute. I loved Constantine's song to Miss Piggy. And there were some amazing cameos.

Chinese Puzzle - the third in a trilogy that started with L'auberge Espanol (sp?) mainly based around Xavier and his relationships with the women in his life. This one was pretty similar but set in New York. I was actually visiting NYC when I saw it so really enjoyed that aspect. I liked the film overall - the cast was excellent and the story was good. I would've chosen a slightly different ending, but whatever.

The Book Thief - the book was much better. It conveyed the intensity of the situation much better than the film. It also didn't seem like Max had a good enough reason to go to Hans for help - they could've covered the backstory in a 5-minute flashback and it would've been a lot clearer. I just didn't feel the same for the film characters as I did for the book characters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:03 pm 
Chip Strong

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

I am trying to figure out why this movie was made; and why Keira Knightly would take such a uninteresting role of a irrelevant and weak person.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64