| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1623 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65
 Post subject: Re: The Movie Log Thread
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:38 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Last night I watched Miral (2010)

A drama centered on an orphaned Palestinian girl growing up in the wake of Arab-Israeli war who finds herself drawn into the conflict.

Thought provoking and beautiful cinematography but seemed to be lacking in substance a bit. I think it could have been a bit grittier given the political theme. Definitely worth a watch, though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:54 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

After Tiller was fantastic. Such a well made documentary showing the truth behind late term abortions. I can't believe there are only four (well I can believe it but jeeze, what the fizzle?!) doctors doing them in the whole of America and I'm excited that they're beginning to train new doctors but boy is it a scary area to go into. I can see why people are reluctant.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Watched The Sapphires tonight, initially chosen because I have a man-crush on Chris O'Dowd, but I loved the film itself. It's been a long time since I've seen a film that was upbeat without being full of stereotypically beautiful people.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:09 am 
Chip Strong

^ I got that on netflix and for some reason returned it without ever watching it.
I guess I need to get it again. sounds great

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:10 am 
Chip Strong

Boyhood.

Someone please give me back those two and one half hours of my life!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I forking loved Boyhood! It's been a long time since I've felt such visceral emotion when watching a movie, and a very long time since I've cried in response to a movie. Several scenes/shots really killed me, particularly Do You Realize?? playing on Dad's car's CD player. But I tend to go for slow-moving, heavily character-based movies, so there's that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:38 pm 
Chip Strong

I am beyond excited for The Trip to Italy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

My wife and I watched "Veronica Mars Movie" yesterday. We loved that show. It's a shame it only lasted 2 real seasons. 3rd season was so disjointed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:24 am 

Watched Obvious Child and Kelly & Cal last night. Both were great, I super loved Obvious Child though maybe because it was more relatable. Maybe it was because the ammount of baby crying noise in Kelly & Cal made me wanna cry! They were both hopeful and great and I'd certainly recommend them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Just got back from watching Pride. The scenery really made me miss living in Wales. It's a real "it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game" kind of film.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:46 pm 

I keep trying to go & see that but it's always sold out by the time I try to go! I need to attempt to plan further in advance.

Today I watched Terri and Life of Crime. I enjoyed both! Terri is quite slow paced but lovely (aside from a mouse thing) and I love the actor who plays the principle. Life of crime was weirder than I expected and oddly for a crime-drama-esque film it wasn't too scary for me to watch!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:38 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I watched We Are The Best! which was definitely the best movie I've seen all year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:27 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I know horror isn't for everyone, but I am a huge horror fan, whether it's seriously terrifying to me or if it's a ridiculous, campy splatter-fest. That said, I watched The Sacrament last night (I went into it knowing nothing of the plot) and came away actually offended. Here's why:

It's a very thinly (and poorly) veiled re-telling of the Jonestown Massacre in Guyana, but with the arrival of three bro journalists from Vice instead of a U.S. Congressman sparking the events leading up to the mass suicide. Never at any point in the movie is it said that this is based upon a true story; in fact, the film is presented in such a realist style that captions at the end of the movie described the final 'death toll' of the mass suicide at 'Eden Parish' (150 or so) and stated that the fictional journalists were 'the only survivors.' In reality, one thousand people died at Jonestown, and there are several very real survivors still alive today, including Congresswoman Jackie Speier. Having educated myself about Jonestown (I was born 7 years after the massacre), I can honestly say that the true story is so horrific that there is absolutely no need to fictionalize and minimize it.

It's bizarre to me that this wouldn't be advertised as 'based on a true story,' especially in a time when anything with a whiff of plausibility about it is advertised as such- the most ridiculous example being that film The Strangers, about a terrifying home invasion carried out by three masked intruders. The 'true story' was that the filmmaker once had some strange teens knock on his door when he was home alone as a kid, asking for someone that didn't live there. They left and later his neighbor's house was burglarized- that's it. It seems really disgusting to me that frauds like Lorraine and the late Ed Warren (Amityville, Haunting in Connecticut, The Conjuring) can become rich by selling ridiculous, sensationalized, staged 'true stories' to Hollywood, but Eli Roth will basically exploit the very real horrors suffered by Jonestown survivors without even so much as a cursory nod to the fact that they survived this and they exist.

The other thing that bothered me, and this obviously pales in comparison to the bigger point, but I have an enormous pet peeve about realism in 'found footage' films. Sooo many horror filmmakers revert to 'found footage' style films, ostensibly because it's easier to film and doesn't have to be 'perfect' as your 'cameraman' stumbles around in terror for his life, but they still manage to cut in multiple-angle shots of conversations between characters and super-convenient B-roll and expository footage. There was plenty of that in this film, but the thing that drove me craaaazy was that one of the final scenes shows them straight-up running away from and abandoning the B-roll camera. It's later implied that the building in which the camera was in burns down, making ALL THE B-ROLL FOOTAGE PREVIOUSLY SEEN IMPOSSIBLE. Or maybe it's ghost footage. Was that the real scary plot in this story?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:47 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

eagle vs. shark. dude. i don't even understand how i'd lived this long without seeing this movie, but it is now tied with benny & joon for my favorite romcom ever (out of the nine or so that i've been able to sit all the way through, but still). awkward, bumbling love is the best love.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:16 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Pride. It had some good scenes and I'm glad this kind of story is being told but I found some of the scenes far too cheesy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:30 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Pi_Face wrote:
Pride. It had some good scenes and I'm glad this kind of story is being told but I found some of the scenes far too cheesy.

Is this the one about the LGBT support of striking miners? I just heard about it the other day, sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

acr wrote:
eagle vs. shark. dude. i don't even understand how i'd lived this long without seeing this movie, but it is now tied with benny & joon for my favorite romcom ever (out of the nine or so that i've been able to sit all the way through, but still). awkward, bumbling love is the best love.

I love this movie so much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

I finally watched Babette's feast. I have owned this thing for awhile now but just never got around to watching it. I gotta say...I thought it was just OK. Every food movie list I see it always mentions this movie as one of the best. Perhaps I just had high expectations. However, I think the actual feast was a bit much to watch. (If you know the feast, you probably know what I'm talking about.)

Another recent watch was The Lunchbox. Oh I loved this movie. It combined Indian culture and food and I loved it. The slow building relationship between the two main characters was just perfect. I will watch this one over and over again.

Now I'm switching from food movies over to some Halloween/scary flicks for a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:51 pm 
Chip Strong

We're the Millers.
I thought it was very funny.

Muppets Most Wanted.
Snooze fest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:14 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

How To Die In Oregon. The first scene in the movie and I am curled in a ball crying. Such a sad movie that is so important for people to watch that think it's an easy way out or that advocate for hemp oil & kale cleanses for those with terminal cancer/disease.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:50 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Saw Book of Life in the theater. Cute! There was so pro-animal stuff in there for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I went to the cinema last night to see Pride (2014)

"U.K. gay activists work to help miners during their lengthy strike of the National Union of Mineworkers in the summer of 1984"

Really heart-warming true story about LGBT activists raising money and awareness for Welsh miners in the 80's. A little bit over the top in places (I thought they were all going to start singing calon lan at one point) but definitely worth watching. I loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

I watched about 50% of The Bling Ring by accident this afternoon (while work computers were down). It was on Lifetime, so I thought it was a LT movie (and its production values look as such) but I believe it was actually wide BO release? Anyway, it was so teen. So, so, sooo teen, if you know what I mean.

Also, the police detective from this movie that the head blinger communicates with on FB--I recognize him from somewheres and it's driving me nuts from where. Now, I'm going to go *IMBD that shizzat.

*Edit: Okay, I just IMBD'd this flick and I don't think I saw the same film? Maybe they did a LT version. Leslie Mann was in the big screen version and I remember Jennifer Gray from Flashdance played the Mom in the film I saw? Anyhoo, I still don't know who the mystery guy from the film I saw is. *googles*

Edit #2: Oh, okay, there's a TV movie version with Jennifer Gray. That assplains it.

Edit #3: The guy's name is Tom Irwin and I have no idea who he is. So I'm wrong about everything.

You can move along, nothing to see here! <3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1623 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65