| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie Log Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:58 pm 
Hip Goiter

Tzippy wrote:
We tried to watch Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and were so bored 10 minutes into it that we turned it off.

Oh I liked it! But yes it's slow.

I saw The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel today. So sweet and enjoyable! And you cannot beat the cast. It made me want to go to India.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:14 pm 
Impressive boner

We saw Prometheus this evening.

Spoiler: show
I never would've guessed that a giant facehugger came from Noomi's tuppence!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Snow White and the Huntsmen. Beautiful scenery, special effects and costumes. They had all the creativity and budget for a fantastic adult fantasy film. What they didn't have was a coherent plot! What the heck is going on in that movie?! And the dialogue! My god, the dialogue! So bad! If it wasn't for the handful of comic reliefs by Hemsworth and the dwarves I probably would have walked out.

Also, Battle Royale. Had a hard time following all the characters and the translations for the version I got were pretty shoddy. Pretty good. I still liked Hunger Games better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That Touch of Mink - I think I'm too modern/feminist to like this movie. I can't divorce my thoughts from a 2012 mindset enough to enjoy it. I've found this with other older films as well, which is a shame because I used to really like older films.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:36 am 
WELFARIST!

I watched Pretty Poison on TCM last weekend (1968, starring Anthony Perkins and Tuesday Weld). I have this thing lately about watching movies from the year I was born in the way that some collect coins from their birth year. Anyhoo, entertaining movie and I liked it. Good performances, good story. I always like to see Anthony Perkins in movies. He was a better actor than the Norman Bates typecast his career got stonecut into. Not that Norman Bates wasn't a great character, but Perkins had more depth and talent as an actor than that. Although in this movie, he is playing to type--the nervous, unstable young man who meets a sociopathic teenager who gets him into far worse trouble than he ever would have gotten into on his own. It was a good movie I hadn't heard of before.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:55 am 
Tofu Pup

I watched Snow White and the Huntsman last week-managed to work on it. I loved the VFX/costumes/set but the plot was bad, the scriptwriting was so terrible and i don't think the main actress suited the role. I'm just waiting for Prometheus and The Dark Knight Rises now. I hope that won't disappoint. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

shamandalie wrote:
I watched Snow White and the Huntsman last week-managed to work on it. I loved the VFX/costumes/set but the plot was bad, the scriptwriting was so terrible and i don't think the main actress suited the role. I'm just waiting for Prometheus and The Dark Knight Rises now. I hope that won't disappoint. :P

I heard Prometheus was terrible. Still hoping the one who said it is wrong...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

rachell37 wrote:
That Touch of Mink - I think I'm too modern/feminist to like this movie. I can't divorce my thoughts from a 2012 mindset enough to enjoy it. I've found this with other older films as well, which is a shame because I used to really like older films.

I'm having this problem too with old movies. I watched a Doris Day one with Rock Hudson not too long ago (it was where they were working at competing ad agencies trying to snag the same account) and while it was a good movie and Doris was even in a badass corporate role in that one, there was still stuff that bothered me. I can still enjoy old movies though, I just have to remember to put them in the context of their time, I suppose, but the old fashioned attitudes are pretty rampant and I'm seeing them in a whole new way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:32 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Last night I watched 10 Things I Hate About You, which is my favourite teen film after Mean Girls. I also watched the Tracey Fragments, which I didn't like very much even though I really like Ellen Page.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:38 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Pi_Face wrote:
Last night I watched 10 Things I Hate About You, which is my favourite teen film after Mean Girls. I also watched the Tracey Fragments, which I didn't like very much even though I really like Ellen Page.

10 Things is oddly charming, actually. I also have a lot of affection for The Breakfast Club...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Bad movie day again. We watched Shark Attack 3 (with John Barrowman!), In the Name of the King (so many big names, such a terrible movie, though not bad for a Uwe Boll), and Machete (Robert Rodriguez Mexploitation film - it was actually pretty good!). Mike borrowed Iron Sky from the host, so we're watching that now. It's not very good. Moon Nazis!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We're just back from Prometheus. The only thing I can think to say about it is, meh. I mean, I can say other things, but it would all boil down to meh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It wasn't great by any means. But the animals were so amazing! I wish they could all storm out of their cages and take over the world in real life.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

No badmouthing of Doris Day movies will be tolerated in this thread!

Also, Prometheus didn't do it for me at all.

Much to my surprise.

Mat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:03 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I watched Melancholia last night, I was lost most of the time, but I knew I would be considering Lars Von Trier did it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:03 pm 
Saggy Butt

We gave Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy another chance and watched it all the way through last night. Still hated it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:55 pm 
Hip Goiter

Saw Snow White and the Huntsman tonight. It was enjoyable-ish, but such wasted potential! Boyfriend leaned over at one point and said "She has only one face!" She really does. I love Chris Hemsworth though. LOVE.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:10 am 
ugh

lubimiller wrote:
I watched Melancholia last night, I was lost most of the time, but I knew I would be considering Lars Von Trier did it.

That movie freaked me right out.
Spoiler: show
I've read, and agree, that it was more about depression than about the planet thing. Dunst's character (forget her name) can't make herself feel happy during the times when most people would feel happy (her wedding) because of her depression. But when everything goes to shiitake, her sister and brother-in-law can't deal with it, but she can because her feelings become appropriate to the situation. Or something like that.

But I couldn't think about any of that stuff until later because of the PLANET HURTLING TOWARDS THE EARTH. Gah!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:06 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

definitely maybe

such a good rom com. I wouldn't say there was much com but the story with the daughter was a good premise and the daughter was a good, non obnoxious character. I was bored by 30 mins but after that I hooked and wanted to know and the reveal of the mother and by that point I was willing him to pick the one woman, the one he chose but by all means the film never made it obvious who she was going to be right until the end. It made such a change to the normal him and her romantic films. Highly recommended and it has one of the Ryan fit guys in it. :)

Settling down with an oldie now, The Apartment. Thats a classic even if Shirley Maclaine is a bisque in real life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:25 am 
Ninja Master

I saw Men in Black 3 last week. It's daft but enjoyable.

Josh Brolin is still hot. He was hot in the Goonies and he's hot as young K! haha.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:14 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tzippy wrote:
We gave Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy another chance and watched it all the way through last night. Still hated it.

agreed.
that movie stank, even if Cumberbatch was in it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:27 pm 
Hip Goiter

Moonrise Kingdom. FLINGIN FLANGIN AMAZING. Go see it now. It's like pure adorable joy shooting in moonbeams off the screen, yet it's not twee or cutesy. weeeee!!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:45 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

RandiJM wrote:
Moonrise Kingdom. FLINGIN FLANGIN AMAZING. Go see it now. It's like pure adorable joy shooting in moonbeams off the screen, yet it's not twee or cutesy. weeeee!!

Since my GF is a big Wes Anderson fan and the last movie we saw was what she called "a guy movie", I'll probably end up seeing it this weekend. Glad to hear it's good.

Saw The Boys and Girls Guide to Getting Down. I thought it was pretty funny. Definitely quite a bit of truth there.

Also, Prometheus. I liked it a lot as said in the Prometheus thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The hang over 2. Meh, same shiitake diff movie.

Is it wrong that I want to see Magic Mike?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:43 pm 
Hip Goiter

Wrong??? I've been waiting for that for a year! It looks AMAZING. :P Come on! It's a seriously legit cast, based on Channing's real-life pre-stardom experience, and directed by FREAKING STEVEN SODERBERGH. It's going to be awesome.

Laughfrodisiac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 67  Next