| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri May 22, 2015 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NBC Sing-Off is back!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:52 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

You can watch it online here if you missed it: http://www.nbc.com/sing-off/video/night-1/1263627/

I'm already disappointed -- the line-up includes all-male and mixed-gender groups, but NO all-female groups? What's up with that? And I've only watched the first half of last night's segment so far, and the group that got voted off was my favorite.

But I forking love that they do this show and I will continue to watch every minute of it with a big stupid grin on my face. :)

Post subject: Re: NBC Sing-Off is back!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I was kind of listening to it as I made dinner last night! I thought it would be lame, but it's fun, and I can't resist a singing group. I wasn't watching closely enough to pick a favorite, yet, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:14 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

choirqueer wrote:
And I've only watched the first half of last night's segment so far, and the group that got voted off was my favorite.

I really liked them, too! I felt like they got a raw deal because they were up against more "mass appeal" groups (high school kids, YouTube guys, was the team with the dad/daughter in that batch?).

This show is so fun. And I love how it's super-condensed so it doesn't drag on and on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:42 pm 
Hip Goiter

I can't watch this show bc it reminds me of how upset and heartbroken I am that I'm no longer in my high school chorus. I miss the first few aughts.

Laughfrodisiac
www.thefriendliestflour.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:00 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Well, I'm biased because I've been a big fan of Pitch Slapped for a long time and I was really hoping they'd be on the Sing-Off this year. But for some reason they sidelined the guy who totally rocks the solo on "Good Girls Go Bad" and replaced him with a skinny "pretty" boy who just didn't bring the same level of awesome. Here they are doing the same song at ICCA: [youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLT9fRQcu-k [/youtube]

I just don't think they judged the first set based on how well each group performed. I think they judged it based on which groups the audience would most want to see more of, and on that basis, it made sense to eliminate the two groups they eliminated. I think the judges underestimated Pitch Slapped, but I also think they sold themselves short by switching out a "great" soloist for a "just ok" one, and I think they were riding themselves on the belief that they were better than everyone else because they're Berklee students, but technical proficiency is not enough to win a singing competition when nobody else in the room has the ear to notice your technical proficiency!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:16 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

RandiJM wrote:
I can't watch this show bc it reminds me of how upset and heartbroken I am that I'm no longer in my high school chorus. I miss the first few aughts.

I went to a high school with 3 a cappella groups - one all guys, one all girls, one mixed. I still identified as a "girl" in high school, but the mixed group was a lot better than the all girls group, and you were only allowed to audition for one group. They were letting 2 new people in that year, and I was #3, so if either of the 2 new people had backed out I would have gotten in, but of course they didn't and so I didn't get to sing. And as if that weren't bad enough, one of the singers from the all girls group came to me later and told me they were all upset that I had auditioned for the other group because I would have been their first choice. I cried for about a week, and...well, I pretty much dropped out of high school after that. I'd been wanting to sing in the a cappella groups since 5th grade. My hopes and dreams were totally crushed. (I was a very melodramatic teenager, and I also hated school with a burning passion.)

During my brief stint in college I auditioned for the a cappella group there, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get in because the director was transphobic.

So here I am, 25 years old, still waiting for my chance to sing in an a cappella group!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:21 pm 
Hip Goiter

Oh CQ I'm so sorry about what you went through!

choirqueer wrote:

So here I am, 25 years old, still waiting for my chance to sing in an a cappella group!

WELL THEN LET'S DO IT! Why not? Start your own! I would totally be in it. We can perform at Grindcore between metal bands and at horse carriage protests.
Who's in?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:34 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

RandiJM wrote:
Oh CQ I'm so sorry about what you went through!

choirqueer wrote:

WELL THEN LET'S DO IT! Why not? Start your own! I would totally be in it. We can perform at Grindcore between metal bands and at horse carriage protests.
Who's in?

If you're serious, I am totally in and we should get together and actually plan what to do and how to recruit singers and hopefully find some people who actually have experience arranging music.

If you're just kidding, well...I just don't think my tender wee heart could bear it if you were just kidding! *dramatic flail*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:28 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

NOTA is going to guest-appear tonight!!! EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEeeee!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:37 pm 
Hip Goiter

NOTA from Puerto Rico, or NOTA from WE ARE PENN STATE

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:39 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

RandiJM wrote:
NOTA from Puerto Rico, or NOTA from WE ARE PENN STATE

NOTA from Puerto Rico! Last year's winners!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:43 pm 
Hip Goiter

WEAK.

:)

WE ARE!!!!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I just posted on the Sing-Off FB page: " I'm wondering why there are no all-female groups this year. Jerry Lawson & co are a decent group for that genre, but I'd rather see an AWESOME group like Sweet Honey in the Rock."

and someone replied who didn't know who Sweet Honey is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:59 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

RandiJM wrote:
WEAK.

WE ARE!!!!

Shut it, you! You're not even watching! You don't know what you're missing! <3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:02 pm 
Hip Goiter

choirqueer wrote:
RandiJM wrote:
WEAK.

WE ARE!!!!

I know I'm kidding. I didn't even enjoy PSU. Mostly bc I wasn't in an a cappella group.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

RandiJM wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
RandiJM wrote:
WEAK.

WE ARE!!!!

I know I'm kidding. I didn't even enjoy PSU. Mostly bc I wasn't in an a cappella group.

At least look up NOTA on YouTube, even if you don't watch the show! You will pee yourself from the awesomeness. This year's contestants are good, but NOTA's a whole 'nother league of musicianship. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

N.O.T.A., the Tulsa hardcore band from the 1980s?
(Apologies to those who already saw this joke tonight.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:08 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:13 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:23 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

What the bloody freaking hell?? They booted On The Rocks, but somehow the other four groups were so much better that they couldn't eliminate any of them? No way. Not buyin' it. Ridiculous!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:33 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I really love the judging panel on this show. I wish they could be the new American Idol judges.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:35 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

choirqueer wrote:
What the bloody freaking hell?? They booted On The Rocks, but somehow the other four groups were so much better that they couldn't eliminate any of them? No way. Not buyin' it. Ridiculous!

One: I forking love The Sing-Off so hard, I can't even handle it. I wish it was on all year.

Two: I was SO MAD when On The Rocks got kicked off. They were my favorite.

Three: This show has inspired me to burst into song throughout my day. Not within earshot of other people, of course. I don't want to be charged with crimes against humanity.

Four: I like Nicole Sherzinger (I am too lazy to look up how to spell her last name though). I don't know when that happened, but it did.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

amandabear wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

One: I forking love The Sing-Off so hard, I can't even handle it. I wish it was on all year.

Two: I was SO MAD when On The Rocks got kicked off. They were my favorite.

Three: This show has inspired me to burst into song throughout my day. Not within earshot of other people, of course. I don't want to be charged with crimes against humanity.

Four: I like Nicole Sherzinger (I am too lazy to look up how to spell her last name though). I don't know when that happened, but it did.

Yeah, I loved OTR, too. (I was surprised the Whiffs were eliminated that early.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:00 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

TinLychee wrote:
Yeah, I loved OTR, too. (I was surprised the Whiffs were eliminated that early.)

Me too. I expected Groove for Thought to go before them. I did not dig GfT much at all.

Also, the Whiffenpoofs is the most absurd name for anything I have ever heard.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

amandabear wrote:
TinLychee wrote:

Me too. I expected Groove for Thought to go before them. I did not dig GfT much at all.

Also, the Whiffenpoofs is the most absurd name for anything I have ever heard.

I know! Beelzebubs I can parse. What the hell is a Whiffenpoof? Well, Google could tell me things, but why do that when I can instead admire the whimsy prima facie?

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm just not feeling Talk of the Town.