| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3053 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123  Next
 Post subject: Re: Supernatural - No Wincest Allowed!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:06 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I don't know if anybody is a Dollhouse fan, but Tahmoh Penikett who played (super sexy) Agent Paul Ballard is going to be doing a multi-episode arc as a fallen angel next season!

OH MY GOD.

You had me at Helo.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't watched BSG yet, but it's next up in my Netflix queue *hangs head in shame*

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:35 pm 

So. First up. Apparently the 2nd Padalecki baby is a brewing.

Also, there was some charity auction, I don't know. But Jared sent a kiss to a fan. In case you aren't on twitter, I present:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oooh, Paul ballard on SPN, this should be fun!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:30 pm 

Jensen, Jared, and a pig at Dallas Con. https://vine.co/v/hrAnUvDhjD5

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 am 
Ninja Master

Season 8 just finished over here. It was definitely better than season 7 and the craptastic leviathans, I am glad for that.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:23 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The new season starts tonight and from the tv guide synopsis, Sam is dying. Wonder what deal Dean will have to make this time in order to save him?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:29 am 
Nailed to the V

I missed it last night. Was it any good? I'll catch it on Hulu later. (I don't mind spoilers.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:33 am 
Ninja Master

I'm so jealous you guys have new eps already. S8 has only just finished here so we probably won't get it til next year. :(

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I actually thought it was awesome. After watching last night, I'm more excited for this season than I have been since season 5. I mean yeah, the whole lying, codependency shiitake is getting REALLY old, but otherwise it was good.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:57 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

It feels like their story is too large at this point, but I really wish they'd go back to the monster of the week style. My favorite episodes were the special one offs, Christmas Episode, repeating day, bad luck, trickster (I guess repeating day was the trickster pt. 2), ghostfacers, etc. Everyone pretty much agrees Kripke's season 1-5 story was so much better than seasons 6+, and I think a lot of that had to do with monster of the week. Obviously Kripke had overarching season stories on top of that, and even an overarching series long story on top of those. And they were great stories, but somehow they still had the more enjoyable one off episodes and turned the characters' quests into episode long segments which could be enjoyed by themselves. Everyone jokes about the codependency stuff, but it's a lot more obvious when it's the central theme of an entire season's story rather than just a detail of their lives in context of hunting.

I hated season 7 with the leviathans. It felt sloppily put together, especially the resolution. I know there was some problem with the writers and maybe that's why, but if they had more separated episodes that might not have been as big a problem. Season 8 was a lot better, but still it seemed significantly less fun than the first seasons when I have to watch the same characters go back and forth with the same fights over and over. While I was not a fan of season 6 (and probably most of that came from watching the intense culmination of the first five seasons just prior), I still enjoyed it a lot more than the more recent couple. I think a lot of that had to do with Sam, Dean, and the show going back to their beginnings: one off episodes that are enjoyable while still continuing the season long story. Sam and Dean in real life, Dean becoming death, leprechauns? Those are all episodes I can go back and watch on a best of marathon. I'm hard pressed to remember more than one from both 7 and 8 which I could go back and watch by itself.

I'm not saying the show is bad, I still enjoy it and want to know what happens to the characters. But last night's episode felt like the start of yet another huge storyline that's going to be the main focus of the season. It's kind of interesting, but already it seems set up to be so large that I won't be able to just have fun watching week to week like I did with the first five seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I actually really prefer the long story arcs over the one off episodes, I felt like that was what made season 8 so uneven, you'd have these random eps in the middle of the long story arc and it felt disjointed. Which I guess is why they do both? Because different people like different formats.

Though if I'm being honest I think 80% of the problems with the show at this point come from them sacrificing a cohesive story to try to appease all the vast different factions of fans. Like if it's going to be a MOTW show, then have it be that, if it's going to be epic story arcs, let it be that.

They focus on redundant conflict over actual character growth and just. I'm going to stop myself, cause if I start ranting I won't stop.

The only thing I'll say before I shut my yap, is that for me, seasons 3-5 felt like they combined together into probably the biggest epic story arc the show has had so far, so it's interesting to see someone love those seasons so much who prefers the one off episodes. It just goes to show how much of the viewing experience is informed by personal perspectives, and I hope I can remember that next time I feel like punching the writers.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

jessilikewhoa wrote:
They focus on redundant conflict over actual character growth and just.

I'm so tired of the 'Dean needs to protect Sam' non-character growth. It's as if Sam is still a little naive kid. It's like the writers and show runner can't come up with anything new; they keep re-hashing the same story line each season with different MOTW.

What I liked about season 1-5 is that the character growth was part of the whole over-arching story line. I can't think of anything new for Dean and Sam since season 5. Well, there's a little bit of feeling that Dean likes being a homebody and having his own room, (living in the Men of Letters old hangout) but really how far can they go with that? And part of what makes a great story is community. I liked the whole hunter community, all the different personalities of each hunter contributed to the feel of the show. But they decided to kill off everyone. What made the tv show Buffy:TVS great wasn't Buffy herself, it was her community, the Scoobies and Giles, and how they fit into her life. When they moved from high school library as their hangout to the magic shop, it made a difference, somehow. It was somehow part of their character growth it seemed, to me anyway. Sam and Dean moving into the Men of Letters old hangout doesn't seem to make any difference to the characters or the show. The move should mean something, but it doesn't.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I agree with everything everyone's said. I like overarching and monster of the week & would be happy if they could make up their mind. I wish the new angel wouldn't have been white & male. My main issue was the repetitiveness of "Dean must save Sam, without sam there's no dean, codependency" BLAH BLAH BLAH. I feel like they could have dug out of that hole in a way that wasn't Dean being super co-dependent on Sam. I feel like the Benny storyline was super cool and wish they'd bring more growth in around both of them learning not to be codependent (although Sam seemed ready to move on, so I guess, there's that).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

Benny had great potential- a vampire working on the side of good, trying to redeem himself. He and the bar owner gal who was his relative (g-g-g-g-granddaughter?) would have made a great addition to the show. And lot's of character growth and conflict there with his need for human blood. Her bar could have been the new hunter's hangout. Meg was about to have character growth and lot's of conflict with being bad and working with Cas - until they killed her off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:12 pm 

I think the main problem is that the creators/producers/writers/whomevers have NO idea where the story is going - and if that's not true, that's certainly how it comes across. Oh crepe, another season! What do we do? Still love though, always love, especially with Tahmoh.

You had me at Helo.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I trust Jeremy Carver more than Sera Gamble. I liked what Sera tried to do, but I think it would have worked better as an entirely different show. I'm mostly just worried about writing quality now that Ben Edlund is gone, because he was by far the best writer on the show, which isn't surprising since he's a Whedonverse writer.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:24 am 
Nailed to the V

I like the US version of Being Human, which Carver and his wife were showrunners. So I still have hope and will still watch, even just for the eye candy.

Does anyone know where Ben Edlund went? Is he on a new show? I guess I could look that up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

He's on Revolution now, Kripke's new show. Which good on him, working on a major network and all, though I still feel abandoned. He's the reason I started watching Supernatural in the first place.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:45 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

appifanie wrote:
I think the main problem is that the creators/producers/writers/whomevers have NO idea where the story is going - and if that's not true, that's certainly how it comes across.

Yes, this is my main problem. Kripke originally had a five season arc planned from the get-go, and I wish they had just stuck with that. We would've had five seasons of an amazing show to watch over and over. They had been building up to season five the whole time so when they just decided to keep going it was...whomp whomp. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying there aren't funny moments or good episodes, but I don't think the good outweighs the overall bad.

They've also killed off almost everybody! Think of all of the regular and semi-regular characters we've had, they're all dead besides Sam, Dean, and Cas. DJ Qualls and Felicia Day are welcome additions, but that isn't enough of a supporting cast in my opinion. Oh and I guess Bobby since they keep trotting his ghost around like it's Weekend At Bobby's. It's like those three are all Buffy and the writers came in and killed off every single one of the Scoobies and then Giles is a ghost.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My husband and I call it "beating a dead Bobby shaped horse".

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:49 am 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Oh and I guess Bobby since they keep trotting his ghost around like it's Weekend At Bobby's.

I would watch that movie.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:06 am 
Nailed to the V

jessilikewhoa wrote:
He's on Revolution now, Kripke's new show. Which good on him, working on a major network and all, though I still feel abandoned. He's the reason I started watching Supernatural in the first place.

I hope that means BE is going to add some humor to the show (Revolution), which is a bore-fest right now. It lacks everything that made s1-5 of SPN so great.

If they keep bringing Bobby back then they need to make him a regular. Bring Meg back too!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 am 
Nailed to the V

mrsbadmouth wrote:
It's like those three are all Buffy and the writers came in and killed off every single one of the Scoobies and then Giles is a ghost.

THIS!! But I compare every supernatural show to Buffy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:01 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I've said it before- I will watch this show until it dies, but I'm really over the twisted cycle of Sam and Dean dying and then not dying and then lying.
But, regular appearances of some of my favorites like Crowley and Cas, and the interesting development of Kevin's character are keeping this season intriguing for me.
I wish Helo could have stayed Helo instead of being inside of Sam's body.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 3053 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123  Next