| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:08 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Tofulish wrote:
I thought it was good, but there was just too much in it. A car accident, a pregnancy, a reconciliation hint, a lost job, a successful play for Sarah...

I agree, but I wonder if they weren't trying to sort of wrap everything up in case the show doesn't get picked up next season.

I'm so glad Julia and Joel have decided to adopt - and if the show does return next season I think it will be interesting to see them go through that process.

And ijdi, I totally didn't catch the retainer thing, but you're so right! Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Did you feel like it wrapped stuff up though? I thought it basically left a ton of open issues to be resolved next season. If there isn't a next season, I won't feel like I know where the characters ended up. But thats okay too.

I like the idea of them doing an adoption storyline. I just hope it doesn't become too much of a trope. I feel like Parenthood does great when they tackle something unusual and original (Max's storyline or Alex and Haddie for example) but the writing can get lazy and slide into the standard stuff (drug addicted/alcoholic father comes back and tries to be there for his kids, kids rebel and one relents, then father redisappoints - how cool would it have been to have the deadbeat dad actually turn things around? He wouldn't have to be with Sarah, but he could have a role in their lives). I also love the actress who plays Julia - her face is so expressive, and I often just want to hug her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

To me they did wrap stuff up - I felt like like everything was resolved in a new-beginnings sort of way. As in, we don't know what's going to happen, but we know that everyone is starting on a new journey and we were left with everyone being in a pretty good place. That seems very series finale-ish to me.

And I agree that this show can be really predictable. I was actually thinking that during this episode, because halfway through I pretty much knew where every storyline was going.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:06 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

good grief, lorelai gilmore and ann veal are champion criers. *sniff*

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:17 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I was crying in the first scene and I agree, bluedawg, Lauren sure knows how to cry!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:31 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Man, I dislike Adam.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:56 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah this was a very eventful episode. I feel like it answered a lot of the open-ended plots that were going on as far as Sarah's play, Hattie's future, Adam's job, Amber starting to act right, etc. Next season will be all about new beginnings! I didn't realize this was the season finale. How sad :(

It seemed like Sarah's play happened reallly fast though. And I thought it was weird how there was no set, and they all had notebooks in their hands? And the way they were all on stage the whole time? I'm sure there's some kind of theatre term for that, but I don't know it haha.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh wrote:
Man, I dislike Adam.

Yeah, and he used to be one of my favs.
Even though Crosby is being a jerk in so many ways, I loved that he took out Jasmine's picture of the house.
Sunnybear, I agree about the play. It was like that morning they had the first reading and that night there was a full auditorium?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

a staged reading, i think? i would have been willing to wait until next season to see the play, though. i didn't like how they stuck so much into this episode. i think it would have been cool if it had been a two-hour finale so that it didn't feel so rushed. none of the scenes really stood out to me except for a couple with amber.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hardcastle McCormick wrote:
i didn't like how they stuck so much into this episode. i think it would have been cool if it had been a two-hour finale so that it didn't feel so rushed. none of the scenes really stood out to me except for a couple with amber.

The rushing made every one seem overly melodramatic too. I usually think the cast is amazing and most of them seemed to be way overacting.

Last edited by deearess on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yeah it was kind of crazy how the episode took place over at least a few weeks though I find it hard to believe that Amber was well enough to walk around by the time her mom's play was happening.

I also thought it was silly when max said "are you mad at me because i have aspergers?" he's really self aware all of a sudden?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:32 am 
Semen Strong

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I also thought it was silly when max said "are you mad at me because i have aspergers?" he's really self aware all of a sudden?

I was thrown by that as well. And then I thought maybe its just supposed to be a manipulative tactic, like kids sometimes use?

I absolutely agree that if this had been a 2 hour finale, it would have felt more complete to me.

[quote=elouise]And I agree that this show can be really predictable. I was actually thinking that during this episode,
because halfway through I pretty much knew where every storyline was going.[/quote]

Its such a letdown when a show that has shown that it is actually capable of original writing relies on tropes. But thank goodness they seem to be avoiding the teen sex = teen pregnancy = tragedy of callous bf and ruined maiden. I'm glad that Haddie is on the pill without incident. Its also a cute twist that her parents were the ones who experienced the birth control oopsies. I kind of wish they had shown Adam staying at his job and the "stoner" boss turning out to be a good boss and someone he could work with etc. rather than having him be fired and probably go on to start his own improbably successful business just like Sarah has now started her own improbably successful playwright career.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

deearess wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
Man, I dislike Adam.

Yeah, and he used to be one of my favs.
Even though Crosby is being a jerk in so many ways, I loved that he took out Jasmine's picture of the house.
Sunnybear, I agree about the play. It was like that morning they had the first reading and that night there was a full auditorium?

I want to dislike him, but I think he is a good representation of what dads go through in the midst of the crazy stress that is parenting, and asbergers (sp?) and that they can crumble under pressure. I actually kind of like that they are realistic about being a parent, and that it's not all butterflies and roses all the time. I think most TV parents make real people feel like crepe, because honestly what they show on TV is not even close to real life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:41 pm 
Semen Strong

It struck me as so odd that Amber's deepest cuts are on the side of her face next to the driver, not the one facing the passenger side window. I know she was facing him when they got hit, so the placement of the cuts seems odd, even if you imagine that the glass went flying (which as safety glass it wouldn't and didn't).

I also think its going to be interesting if Jasmine and Crosby reconcile, with him being the only one who admits any fault in their break-up. Are they then going to go back to her making all the decisions and steamrolling him whenever she feels like it?

Also, the actor who plays Max is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:54 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Tofulish wrote:

Also, the actor who plays Max is amazing.

Seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
It struck me as so odd that Amber's deepest cuts are on the side of her face next to the driver, not the one facing the passenger side window. I know she was facing him when they got hit, so the placement of the cuts seems odd, even if you imagine that the glass went flying (which as safety glass it wouldn't and didn't).

i'm so glad somebody else noticed that!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:03 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Dax just tweeted - they just got renewed!!!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i was just coming to say the same thing. hooray!!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay!!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:26 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

wahoo!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:58 pm 
Semen Strong

Hurrah for it being back on!

I kind of wish Sarah hadn't been so upset by turning 40. I really think its unnecessarily relying on a trope. Does anyone really flip out about turning 40 anymore? Especially if you have kids and look like LG?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I felt like it focused more on her missing her daughter than getting old, and I was ok with that.

this going to jail for a punch thing is ridiculous. it was a punch at a house party and the other guy didnt get hurt.

i missed the end of last season (well, i was in and out) and had no idea Kristina was pregnant! Surprise!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:28 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

you'd think a guy with a record would go to greater lengths to avoid getting into a fight, especially with someone a lot younger. i'm not looking forward to him guilt-tripping haddie about the situation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:16 am 

rocklobster wrote:
this going to jail for a punch thing is ridiculous. it was a punch at a house party and the other guy didnt get hurt.

Yeah I thought that whole situation was crazy. The other guy didn't get hurt, a fight didn't break out, it was just the single punch....I doubt a bunch of drunk teenagers would be quick to call the cops to their party over a single punch. After the one punch (which is bad, yes) it like it got out of control.

I don't have a lot of hope for their relationship! :( I mean, she's a teenager, she's likely going to want to go to parties with her friends and maybe drink.... she needs to experience life for herself and I feel like that's going to be a constant issue with them.

Also, I was a little annoyed that Adam was so upset that Kristina accepting a full time job. I get where he's coming from totally, but, she was struggling with wanting a career last season - she should be allowed to have a career too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:19 am 

BUT! What I kinda love about this show is how unrealistic it is. Like Sarah's bday party, and the family time that happens at the end of every episode, everyone dancing around, Amber's sweet mint car (even though they're "poor"), the amazing back yard that is always lit up perfectly with twinkle lights....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next