| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

sunnybear wrote:
NOOOO she better not be pregnant! And, why didn't they talk to her about going on birth control anyway? Why did her mom pressure her to tell her that she was quietly playing chess, and then not give her any information on how to protect herself? What was the point? What a great episode though.

i was saying that the whole time i was watching. why didn't she talk to her about birth control??? i doubt she's pregnant, though. it's probably going to end up being the mom's test or some other twist.

that ending was pretty intense! i could kind of tell it was coming but i still jumped.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hardcastle McCormick wrote:
sunnybear wrote:
NOOOO she better not be pregnant! And, why didn't they talk to her about going on birth control anyway? Why did her mom pressure her to tell her that she was quietly playing chess, and then not give her any information on how to protect herself? What was the point? What a great episode though.

i was saying that the whole time i was watching. why didn't she talk to her about birth control??? i doubt she's pregnant, though. it's probably going to end up being the mom's test or some other twist.

that ending was pretty intense! i could kind of tell it was coming but i still jumped.

That's what I was thinking about the pregnancy test. We'll see next week I guess!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:41 am 
Semen Strong

sunnybear wrote:

i was saying that the whole time i was watching. why didn't she talk to her about birth control???

She said "Are you using protection? A condom?" and Hattie said they were. Maybe it could have been a longer conversation, but I could see that being a first conversation followed by a more detailed one later.

The part that I thought was off was Peter acting all butthurt when they were at dinner. Your kid is honest and comes to you and you freeze them out? And then the mom has to convince the daughter to be mature and wait for the father to come around. Come on Peter, be more mature than your 16 year old.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:06 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

that was a great episode. i thought it was going to be a lot more annoying with amber on drugs, but it actually seemed sort of realistic! I feel so bad for Drew in all of this. All he wants is for his family not to be on drugs :(

and yeah, i dont think there's any way haddie (hattie?) is pregnant. i bet it's christina. Anyway, totally cried at the dad/daughter moment the end there. this show is good! i would not have expected it to be, but it's really good

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:08 am 
Hip Goiter

The scenes with Hattie were incredibly realistic, but you know what was so haunting and impressive? That scene with Amber and Lorelai in the restaurant omg. Lorelai's face as she begins to realize that Amber isn't just laughing and jolly, she's higj, was ... Wow

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:38 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
sunnybear wrote:

i was saying that the whole time i was watching. why didn't she talk to her about birth control???

She said "Are you using protection? A condom?" and Hattie said they were. Maybe it could have been a longer conversation, but I could see that being a first conversation followed by a more detailed one later.

The part that I thought was off was Peter acting all butthurt when they were at dinner. Your kid is honest and comes to you and you freeze them out? And then the mom has to convince the daughter to be mature and wait for the father to come around. Come on Peter, be more mature than your 16 year old.

I don't know, if it was my kid I would have had a better plan of action for when she told me she was doing it. I personally don't trust condoms, or that they will use them every time. I know when I was that age, I wasn't using condoms regularly and thank goodness my parents took me to the gyno. Hopefully they will touch on that more in the next episode.

And yeah I agree about the way Peter was acting. The reaction fit his character. Whenever he is in conflict, or someone does something that he doesn't like, he just shuts down from them (ahem, crosby).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

RandiJM wrote:
The scenes with Hattie were incredibly realistic, but you know what was so haunting and impressive? That scene with Amber and Lorelai in the restaurant omg. Lorelai's face as she begins to realize that Amber isn't just laughing and jolly, she's higj, was ... Wow

Agreed, they did a great job with that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

it doesn't really fit with christina's character to just trust that alex would be able to handle all the birth control stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:03 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i just end up liking this show more and more; i'm a fan of all the different storylines, and all the characters are actually developing enough to have opinions about them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Did anyone feel like the actress who plays Amber has lost a lot of weight? For whatever reason, she seemed more curvy and zaftig at the beginning of the season and in the last episode seemed really slight. Maybe its just wardrobe though....

Also, I liked how they portrayed Hattie and Alex having sex. Alex is so HOT! I was pretty much sitting at attention and drooling at the screen. And then the mortification of accidentally calling your parents. YIKES! But I did like that two characters pointed out that it was was good that Hattie chose to have sex on her terms - Kristina and Sarah - and that Kristina admitted that she'd been pressured into doing it at 15 etc. It is still a bit skeevy that he is 19 and she is 16...

California's age of consent is 18 and their sexual relationship would be a misdemeanor under California law. http://www.age-of-consent.info/states/California
Quote:
The age of consent in California is 18, with a misdemeanor if the minor has 3 or fewer years of difference with the major, and potentially a felony if the major is more than 3 years older. The close-in-age rule in California (3 years) do not provide an exception nor provide any defense; it merely lowers the crime to a misdemeanor. Under this law, two minors of the exact same age could both be prosecuted with a misdemeanor. Penalties increase if the minor is under 16 and the major is above 21 or if the minor is more than 3 years younger.

I'd also be interested to see what the impact is on his recovery. Wasn't he supposed to be avoiding dating etc in the first year of recovery?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:47 pm 
Semen Strong

I also feel the need to add that Joel is so sexy. That whole carpenter fixing everything is very yummy.

Crosby on the other hand is a giant infant.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:07 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
I also feel the need to add that Joel is so sexy. That whole carpenter fixing everything is very yummy.

Crosby on the other hand is a giant infant.

i hate crosby! i'm so glad jasmine hasn't taken him back yet and I think it would be super realistic and good if she didn't ever take him back, or at least not because he bought a house! that's so manipulative!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:10 pm 
Hip Goiter

Agree Tofulish, I noticed Amber too. Not necessarily from the beginning of the season since I don't watch consistently, but with my recollection of the actress in the past few years.

And agree about hot Joel. It's anice.

OH when the two kids greeted each other with fist bumps and Sydney was acting all street, that was awesome.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tofulish wrote:

Yes, Adam is a dick, seriously. Your daughter told her Mum she's had sex, Alex is a great guy, she's dating him, she's a responsible girl and you ignore her and treat her like she's changed or bad? I can't stand Adam anymore (not that he was ever one of my favourite characters).

sunnybear wrote:
I don't know, if it was my kid I would have had a better plan of action for when she told me she was doing it. I personally don't trust condoms, or that they will use them every time. I know when I was that age, I wasn't using condoms regularly and thank goodness my parents took me to the gyno. Hopefully they will touch on that more in the next episode.
Yeah, I was dating a guy and told my parents I wanted to go on the pill and everything was cool. And 16 is the legal age here so Haddie/Alex doesn't seem wrong to me at all.

And Crosby is also annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My dvr cut off the preview!! Was the pregnancy test obviously at their house? If not, maybe it's Julia! Sure enough way for a woman to get pregnant is to be told she cant and quit stressing over it.

And maybe it's just me, but is it not ok for Haddie's mom and dad to tell her that they wish she weren't having sex? I don't mean they should do that in place of teaching her to be responsible or to disown her because she is having sex. But they are her parents and if they want to be open and honest with her that is more the truth of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:42 am 
Semen Strong

deearess wrote:
My dvr cut off the preview!! Was the pregnancy test obviously at their house? If not, maybe it's Julia! Sure enough way for a woman to get pregnant is to be told she cant and quit stressing over it.

The preview showed Peter taking out the trash and moving stuff around to fit more in, and then happening on the pregnancy test. He then looks up to see Haddie talking in the window. I think because it is clearly his house, people are thinking Kristina or Haddie. But there was a scene with Joel and Julia holding a baby so maybe....

deearess wrote:
And maybe it's just me, but is it not ok for Haddie's mom and dad to tell her that they wish she weren't quietly playing chess? I don't mean they should do that in place of teaching her to be responsible or to disown her because she is quietly playing chess. But they are her parents and if they want to be open and honest with her that is more the truth of it.

An open adult conversation would be okay, but what isn't ok is for you to pout and punish your daughter by giving her the silent treatment and refusing to engage with her, while you continue normal conversation with your son at the same table. That isn't adult communication, its passive aggressive, punitive and isolating, and I understood Haddie's reaction of saying "I wish I hadn't told you!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
An open adult conversation would be okay, but what isn't ok is for you to pout and punish your daughter by giving her the silent treatment and refusing to engage with her, while you continue normal conversation with your son at the same table. That isn't adult communication, its passive aggressive, punitive and isolating, and I understood Haddie's reaction of saying "I wish I hadn't told you!"

Agreed. The way he handled it was not at all cool. But, I was surprised that they never did say they didn't like it since that was clearly the way the felt.

ETA: oh and speaking of babies - Congrats Tofulish!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh wrote:
And Crosby is being a total idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:09 pm 
Semen Strong

deearess wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Agreed. The way he handled it was not at all cool. But, I was surprised that they never did say they didn't like it since that was clearly the way the felt.

ETA: oh and speaking of babies - Congrats Tofulish!!

Thank you! And yes, I would love to see a conversation where Kristina and Peter sit down and tell Haddie "We love you and while we really like Alex and we are happy you are happy with your relationship to him, we are concerned about the fact that you are now sexually active. We would prefer it if you had decided to wait, but as you haven't, we want to make sure that you are taking precautions and also that school still remains your primary focus."

I still think it was remarkably sex-posi to be saying "well at least she chose to have sex on her own terms, in a relationship with a great guy who obviously loves her." I think it will be interesting to see how Alex and Peter interact next time they get together, because they had really good interactions before. I liked it so much when Alex was telling Peter that he hadn't had a family and Peter then said he was sorry and "You deserved to have had that." I thought it was a beautiful moment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:19 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Well Kristina did say they wished she'd waited but it seems she's basing that opinion on the fact that her first time was not a positive experience and Adam could have said the same but instead he acted immaturely and petty and chose to ignore his daughter. I was happy when he picked her up and they interacted as normal but I think he owes her an apology.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 am 

eh, i don't think he should apologize. she was mortified when she found out her dad knew (i was too at that age). i think picking her up from school and treating her like normal was as good as an apology. not everything needs to be said aloud.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i missed the first two minutes because of some storm coverage. the storm coverage came up again, and the first thing the meteorologist said was, "don't worry, we're only interrupting commercials and not parenthood!" people care more about parenthood than the threat of tornadoes!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:37 pm 

ha. did you guys notice they actually referenced Parenthood the movie in this episode with the retainer thing? really funny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ijustdiedinside wrote:
ha. did you guys notice they actually referenced Parenthood the movie in this episode with the retainer thing? really funny

I totally didn't catch that haha! I was too busy crying THREE times! This show never disappoints.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:39 pm 
Semen Strong

I thought it was good, but there was just too much in it. A car accident, a pregnancy, a reconciliation hint, a lost job, a successful play for Sarah...

I thought they did a good job with Julia's story - her going between talking herself into not wanting to go through the birth process and embracing them as a threesome again and then holding the baby and really wanting it. It was sweet and not over-thought, and her character got to be more relaxed which was nice.

As far as Sarah getting a successful play written, produced by a super-awesome fallen producer and on stage in front of hundreds of people in 4 episodes, that rang really pat to me. I wish we had seen her struggle a little more with it.

And I love Alex and Haddie. They are so good together <3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next