| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cosmos & Neil deGrasse Tyson Fan Club
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

Anyone watching the new Cosmos? I loved the original and was happy that they are updating it. I think Neil Degrasse Tyson is perfect for the new series. I wonder if last night's episode caused any outrage being about evolution.

Post subject: Re: Cosmos
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:26 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I know lots of christians were pissed about the first episode.

Me, I loved it! I thought the tone was spot on. I also loved the bit at the end where NDT pulled out Sagan's old diary. Normally, I'm not much for modern updates of old shows/movies, but I'm really glad they did this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:41 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

jordanpattern wrote:
I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I know lots of christians were pissed about the first episode.

Looks like some people in Oklahoma were upset by the show:

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/13/oklahoma-station-cut-cosmos-evolution-video_n_4958024.html
[/url]

Quote:
I also loved the bit at the end where NDT pulled out Sagan's old diary.

Loved that part, too. I haven't had a chance to watch last night's show yet, but if it's as good as last week, I know I'll enjoy it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:04 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I liked the first one, so beautiful, and who doesn't love NDT- but i was a bit disappointed it was only 45 minutes though! but, honestly, maybe a little relieved? i remember the first Cosmos scared the shiitake out of me (I was maybe 5 or 6, and the concept of an infinite speck in a boundless universe turned me into the nihilistic mustard i am today)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

I wish I'd remembered Carl Sagan's Cosmos. The eighties were my lost decade of teevee (no idear about Miami Vice--I have brief recollections of Family Ties from babysitting stints). Anyway, I'd have been right up in CS's bidness. I've read some of CS's books though--or at least the Mars one.

I love this show. I watched the light episode yesterday. I still love x-ray light most of all--it's so gorgeous and eerie! It reminds me of this ambryotype photograph I own which I bought at an art show--just shot through with such clarity and visual texture and every range of gray. It's somehow got that "physical" map look about it in a way no other light does. I still want to write a story about my x-ray artist and watching the show last night fired that character up in my mind again. I think NDT is perfect as host. I normally get annoyed when actors/hosts look directly into the camera as if addressing the audience (for me, it breaks the spell) but I don't mind when NDT does--he doesn't break the spell at all when he looks at the camera--he enhances it. He's magic!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Cosmos is my favorite thing right now. I ask pretty much everyone I meet if they're watching it. So amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:38 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Nicole wrote:
Cosmos is my favorite thing right now. I ask pretty much everyone I meet if they're watching it. So amazing.

Ditto. I feel like a kid watching it! Neil perfectly captures the wonder of the universe, both humongous and microscopic. Definitely my favourite thing on tv right now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:13 am 
Seagull of the PPK

okay, i've been wondering this, and in this den of NDT fans, i think it's the right place-- what the hell was NDT, Mr Authority, doing in that discovery channel or whatever mockumentary about first contact a week or two ago? I saw him and thought, surely he wouldn't get involved with this kind of thing?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

We've really been enjoying Cosmos. I feel like a kid watching it too, everything is so awe-inspiring.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:02 pm 
A Bad Person

The intro really makes me wish there were a new Star Trek series. Seeing Brannon Braga's name in the credits only makes it worse. Oh, and the show is a excellent!

I'm completely unfamiliar with the original Cosmos. Is this something that's going to keep going as long as the ratings keep up, or is it a limited episode affair?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:31 am 
Discovered unobtainium

NDT has a new book out that is pretty great. It is called Space Chronicles and is mostly about politics and NASA and political will in the US to continue investing in space exploration.

I haven't finished it (I have the attention span of a hyperactive cockatiel these days) but enjoyed what I've read (as always with his books). If you love the show, you can't go wrong with one of his books. He is just awesome on top of awesome, and always readable. Not many scientists can succeed as well as he does at pop science. He never dumbs anything down, but he also never confuses anyone either. It's a rare talent.

Americans have quickly forgotten how much the space program is part of our national identity (I don't mean that in a "rah! rah, go USA way but a willingness as a government/society to innovate and further technology and science without immediate tangible benefit, although separating the Cold War from both the US and Russian space programs is difficult) and how much NASA has contributed to our (collective, global) way of life. I think Space anchor idles does a pretty good job of pointing all of that out. NASA is not just a luxurious cash sink; we will miss it when it's too late. NASA has already been pretty well gutted thanks especially to Bush/Obama. I find it sad that NASA is forced to scale back at a time when other space agencies, especially those of Japan and the EU are continuing to do really great stuff. A lot of NASA's current projects were funded and underway many years ago, so we aren't seeing the full effects yet.

I am biased though: I feel that NASA, NOAA, and the USGS are pretty much the only government agencies that ever do much right. NOAA is facing much the same scenario, but we already feel the economic impacts by having to rely on European weather satellites for much east coast weather modeling.

Tl;dr NdT and his goofy ties are the greatest thing ever for science awareness and education. I use him a lot in my classes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Still loving it. I just finished the book I was reading and am now totally motivated to go read some NDT.

In fact, we're so hooked, that we've been trolling netflix for other space-related stuff when there's no new Cosmos. We found a BBC series from the late 90s called The Planets, which is pretty good if anyone is looking for more space action. The best episode we've watched so far is the one about the gas giants, which chronicles the Voyager missions to Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. It's pretty mindblowing to see the images that were available of those planets before the mission, and the incredible images and data that we had after.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:04 am 
Discovered unobtainium

The Universe series is pretty decent except when they got super silly and did topics like "sex in space." The episodes on the Sun were my favorite. I don't think they are currently on Netflix but the DVD set is often available cheap on Amazon (I got the 5 season pack for $17).

If you have time to waste online, check out Zoouniverse. That's a series of crowd sourced websites where people look for stuff the computer programs/models can't. I loved the Galaxy Zoo project where they had you classify galaxies for them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

I finally watched last Sunday's episode, bought it on amazon prime. I really loved it and it is one of my favorites of the series. So much awe in looking at tiny worlds.

If anyone is looking for more recommendations, there is How the Universe Works on Netflix. There is also Nova Science Now on netflix which stars NDT. If anyone is interested in Neil himself, he has an autobiography titles The Sky Is Not the Limit. Finding youtube videos of Neil is always fun because he is such a wonderful speaker.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

torque wrote:
okay, i've been wondering this, and in this den of NDT fans, i think it's the right place-- what the hell was NDT, Mr Authority, doing in that discovery channel or whatever mockumentary about first contact a week or two ago? I saw him and thought, surely he wouldn't get involved with this kind of thing?

I don't know about this but I'm all swoony crushy about him so anything NDT does is fine by me! Maybe showing his goofy side? Sometimes I see these astronomy shows and one minute the astronomers are calculating light years times billions and billions divided by vortex, factoring in vacuum and spacetime and then squaring gravity and speaking gobbledegook that I no know (even though I hang on every syllable and my brain is like pudding) and then they are being a goofy to show they are a regular, awkward guy--I figure.

Post subject: Re: Cosmos & Neil deGrasse Tyson Fan Club
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:19 am 
Saggy Butt

Well he did calculate the weight of Thor's hammer and jokes that he killed Pluto. NDT is a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:25 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Tooooo tired to read all the comments right now, but dudes. Omg. I have literally cried I think four times now while watching this show. It's not like he's telling me stuff I didn't already know but he's just so forking compelling, full of passion, and obviously has the blood of a unicorn or something.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Mars wrote:
Tooooo tired to read all the comments right now, but dudes. Omg. I have literally cried I think four times now while watching this show. It's not like he's telling me stuff I didn't already know but he's just so forking compelling, full of passion, and obviously has the blood of a unicorn or something.

It looks like the Mission Theater is showing this live on Sunday nights, FYI, for you and any other Portland folks who are into this show: http://www.mcmenamins.com/events/search ... ery=cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We just saw Neil deGrasse Tyson getting a tour of the garden district in New Orleans!!!! Dan said, I love your show. He said thanks. It was really exciting. If only we'd been in the tour group. I bet he asks the best questions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Was he wearing a planet tie?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I love this show and NDT. My son decided, at 3, that he wants to be an astrophysicist. So we started listening to physics podcasts, but I have to listen in advance to make sure there is nothing inappropriate and so that I can look up whatever I will need to explain to my son. (Yeah, glad I didn't let my son listen to the episode where he explains all of the ways you can die in space.) I feel like such a dork that Start Talk is what I listen to when I run. Through my son I have really come to love physics and all things NDT.

We all sit down and watch cosmos together. My kids love it almost as much as my husband and I do.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

Wow I love Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Here is his response on why more women aren't in science.

http://iacknowledge.net/neil-degrasse-t ... s-perfect/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:46 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Kal wrote:
Wow I love Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Here is his response on why more women aren't in science.

http://iacknowledge.net/neil-degrasse-t ... s-perfect/

This is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:22 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lavawitch wrote:
Was he wearing a planet tie?

Hawaiian shirt :)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:32 am 
Saggy Butt

Just saw the latest episode. The animation at the begining with Orion chasing the maidens did make me a little uncomfortable and I'll never be able to look at that constellation the same way ever again. But the rest of the episode was awesome and the end where it was mentioned that Orions stars would die and the pleadies would go their own separate ways was great. I was happy to finally see Cecelia Payne on the show. It is a shame that she isn't more well known.