| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Calling All Harry Potter Geeks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:25 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've been pretty anti-Harry Potter. Mainly because of all the hype. I've decided I might start reading the books soon though since it seems to be dying down. I read books one, two and three, but forget it all. I think they were interesting from what I remember.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:59 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

guy burgess wrote:
AutumnLeaves wrote:
For the record, I like to think that the 6th movie never happened.

Tell me about it, I was so upset. They left out so much crucial stuff and CHANGED the scene when Dumbledore gets killed/the fight after.

This!

They should have made it a two-parter like they're making the final one, and not have tried to awkwardly shoehorn that story into one film.

As for Harry Potter house scarves, I made a Slytherin one when I was 19 because I had (and have) a boner for Snape. Lucius Malfoy, too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:28 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm excited because I get to geek out with my geeky HP friends, but I'm not expecting much.

I LOVED the first 3 movies (especially the Chris Columbus ones) and the rest, while mostly (and I stress the word "mostly") enjoyable, didn't have the same charm as the earlier ones.

I am excited though, and I'm glad they're splitting the movie up just so the series can last longer!

On a different note, anyone remember when there were tons of rumors swirling that the 4th movie would be released in two parts? That seems like so long ago! I can't believe how long Harry Potter has been part of my life...I cried when the books ended and I'll most likely cry at the end of the last movie. It's like the true end of my childhood :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:30 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

waxwolf wrote:
As for Harry Potter house scarves, I made a Slytherin one when I was 19 because I had (and have) a boner for Snape. Lucius Malfoy, too.

Oh, total boner for Lucius over here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:31 pm 
Naked Under Apron

The sixth movie disappointed me big time. It seems that they spent way too much time on the awkward teenaged relationships, and not enough time on meat of the story (please forgive the term). I didn't hate it, but it wasn't as good as I expected it to be. The fifth movie is my favorite so far. Even though it left out so much of the book, it flowed nicely over all.

As for the hype, I wanted nothing to do with Harry Potter until well after the 7th book came out, and the excitement died down. Then I started reading them in 2007ish. I am usually disappointed by popular fiction, but Harry Potter was a pleasant surprise. J. K. Rowlings is a great fantasy writer, and in a market where the fantasy genera is over crowed with bandwagon books, she really stands out.

In general, the movies have yet to live up to the books, but they are well written and entertaining for what they are. I am totally excited about the 7th movie, even though I'm convinced that it is going to end on a cliff-hanger, and I hate that.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:48 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I used to roll my eyes when anyone mentioned Harry Potter, then I picked up the first book around the time the 6th book came out, and caught up in less than a month. I stayed off the internet until I finished the 7th book because of the fiasco with the 6th. I didn't know how the 6th book would end before I read it, but someone still spoiled part of it for me, and I was pissed.

I didn't hate the 6th movie, but didn't love it. I'm still looking forward to the 7th. Whether or not they leave things out, or screw them up, it will still be a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:31 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

i am really, really, very, extremely, super excited! the trailers make me cry, so. i expect to be a mess.

i don't mind when the movies change details from the books. i compartmentalize them in different fandom sections of my brain. i am a fan of the books (over here) and the movies which are about the same universe and follow the same storyline pretty much (over there). it's kept me from getting all: "but cho didn't really tell on them, it was her friend, and that affects how she and harry feel about each other! and UH UH UH!!!" etc. etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:48 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I am really curious as to where they will end the first movie. There were so many big scenes in the book, I can't even guess where they will split the story. I hope they don't change too many details from the book.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 am 
FAYGO

OK, I got a little excited when I saw a poster this morning. But that may have been because I was thrilled to see Helena Bonham Carter in something without Tim Burton.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:58 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

amandabear wrote:
Fee wrote:
I'm too legit of a geek to be excited about the movie, because no matter what - the book was better

Isn't the book just always better, as a rule?

Yup! Ravenclaw for life.

I need to see the sixth movie still. My husband hasn't read the books yet so he's just watching along and I can't tell him anything (though he already knows the snape spoiler in 6).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:08 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I will wholeheartedly admit my fangirl status. I adore the books.
I am hoping that because they appeared to take so much care with this film, that it will wow me.
Regardless, the Harry Potter films are a bonding thing with my girls so it never seems to matter if they suck. (I was so disappointed with Order.)

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

BananaNut wrote:
I am really curious as to where they will end the first movie. There were so many big scenes in the book, I can't even guess where they will split the story. I hope they don't change too many details from the book.

Spoiler? Vague Spoiler?

I think I read they end it after Voldemort gets the wand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:20 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Rach*n wrote:
amandabear wrote:
Fee wrote:
I'm too legit of a geek to be excited about the movie, because no matter what - the book was better

Isn't the book just always better, as a rule?

Yup! Ravenclaw for life.

I need to see the sixth movie still. My husband hasn't read the books yet so he's just watching along and I can't tell him anything (though he already knows the snape spoiler in 6).

Me too! Ravenclaw for life.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:23 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I don't know if I'd be ravenclaw or hufflepuff. I like the ravenclaw colors better, so I'd prefer that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

joyfulgirl wrote:
I don't know if I'd be ravenclaw or hufflepuff. I like the ravenclaw colors better, so I'd prefer that.

But if you get killed off as a Hufflepuff, you'll get to be in the next vampire franchise.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

joanna wrote:
i don't mind when the movies change details from the books. i compartmentalize them in different fandom sections of my brain. i am a fan of the books (over here) and the movies which are about the same universe and follow the same storyline pretty much (over there). it's kept me from getting all: "but cho didn't really tell on them, it was her friend, and that affects how she and harry feel about each other! and UH UH UH!!!" etc. etc.

Yes, I keep them separate. It might be easier for me though because I only started reading the books after watching most of the movies.

I know people tend to like the first two movies because of how true they were to the books, but I think Chris Columbus is a REALLY blah director. The third is still my favorite, but after that I thought 5 and 6 (changes from the book aside) stand up the best as films. My biggest complaint about the last movie is that they really threw the whole teen romance thing in your face and wasted a lot of time dwelling on what was completely obvious instead of adding more details from the book/fleshing out existing [in the movie] plot lines.

Last edited by ismloveyoubobbybrown on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:20 pm 
FAYGO

Keeping them separate from the books, I thought the first two movies were terrible. The fourth didn't tell a story, it was just a bunch of action scenes stuck together with tape. The fifth and sixth made no impression on me at all. I loved the third, though. It was the first (and only) one to feel like a real film. Then again, I may just have liked it best because I was at the height of my Potter fannishness.

I've forgotten so much of the books that I thought this poster was a mistake for a while and they'd Photoshopped in too many Harrys instead of Ron or something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:29 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i like the movies even though i get frustrated with lots of the weird changes they make, but i can't really see them as stand alone movies. to me they are just a bunch of scenes strung together that fans of the books can watch for fun. I don't really see how how the movies make sense to people who haven't read the books. there is so much left out that the movies seem really disjointed to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
I've forgotten so much of the books that I thought this poster was a mistake for a while and they'd Photoshopped in too many Harrys instead of Ron or something.

how could you forget this scene! i cry every day about it :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:23 pm 
FAYGO

rocklobster wrote:
SeitanSaidDance wrote:

how could you forget this scene! i cry every day about it :(

SPOILER ALERT:

I have no idea. Especially since the day of the release, all of my friends were talking about which characters they didn't want to see die and I said "I don't give a shiitake who dies. The more carnage the better. But if she kills Hedwig, I'm going to be PISSED."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I don't really see how how the movies make sense to people who haven't read the books. there is so much left out that the movies seem really disjointed to me.

I've heard people say that before, but I've watched every movie before reading it's book (I'm in the middle of Order right now). They've all been coherent enough for me. Maybe I'm too forgiving, but it's hard for me to think of a movie that doesn't have some plot holes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am sooo excited.
I'm also really torn because i want to go when it opens with some friends, but my other friend is coming up to visit me like 3 weeks after it comes out and she wants to watch it with me.

I would probably be a hufflepuff if I were at Hogwarts.

also, SPOILER

I saw a some publicity picture, and it shows Harry letting Hedwig go, maybe they're leaving it out in the film? half of me wants that to happen because I don't think I could hold my shiitake together if I saw that go down, but its an important death and i'd also be pissed if they left it out.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:40 am 
Thinks Stonewall's jerquee tastes GREAT!

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
Keeping them separate from the books, I thought the first two movies were terrible. The fourth didn't tell a story, it was just a bunch of action scenes stuck together with tape. The fifth and sixth made no impression on me at all. I loved the third, though. It was the first (and only) one to feel like a real film. Then again, I may just have liked it best because I was at the height of my Potter fannishness.

No, the third is definitely a great movie. I watched it for the first time in years the other day, and when it was over, I was like, "Wow. That was actually a movie. A really good movie."
The books and the movies are two totally different things for me, though, since so much of my attachment to the books has to do with who I was when I was reading them and how much they just implanted themselves in my brain. The movies have never had this impact on me.
Like right now I'm trying to get through the books in German, and even though I don't know over half the words, I know what is happening because I know the books so well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:35 am 
Keepin' It Seal

The books mean so much more to me than the movies ever will. Maybe the books just feel more real because there are a lot more characters and it's not quite so dramatic. The movies are just all about Harry. Almost everything happens to him and anyything else happens to Ron and Hermione. There's so little that happens to anyone else that it seems so implausible.

Spoiler, highlight to see:

Oh my god I lost it with the deaths of Hedwig and Dobby. Especially since the book came out a week after my dog died. I cried and cried.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:38 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I love the books, and am still sort of sad that there won't be any more, because I have such happy associations with the series. My boys literally grew up with them; every time one would come out, one of them would dibs it, and the rest of us would basically stalk him until he'd finished. One year when we were traveling in the UK (we always seemed to buy them in England, actually), I bought two copies to preserve peace in the backseat, and another time - I think it was Book 5 - everyone was in the midst of reading something else, so I got to read it first, which was pretty sweet!

Anyway, I am excited about the upcoming movie(s), and am looking forward to seeing them both! I've liked the films overall, but like some others here, I think of them as, if not completely distinct from the books, then as optional accessories that don't necessarily add to or detract from the overall narrative. I remember when they were making the first movie, and my oldest expressed concern that they would "spoil" it by making things look different than he imagined them; I told him to remember that it would just be someone else's idea, which he was free to take or leave, and that the way we ourselves imagine things is always just as "right" as anyone else's vision. (This proved to be good advice to give myself when the Lard of the Rings movies started appearing, since I was very attached to the books, which I'm not convinced Peter Jackson ever even opened!)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next