| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Natalie Portman gives up vegan diet (during pregnancy).
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:50 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/thefamous/na ... anism/1043

She says she went back to eggs and dairy when she was pregnant and her body craved these things. Do any moms in here have any experience with this? Did you get these kinds of cravings?

I'm not pregnant but thinking about it (about becoming pregnant that is, not giving up veganism).

Post subject: Re: Natalie Portman gives up vegan diet (during pregnancy).
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:05 pm 
And you never will.

I lost over 20 pounds the first half of my pregnancy because I had such strong food aversions. The ONLY thing I wanted in the whole world was cheese pizza, but I made the decision to not go there (and by doing so I ate nothing instead). I know first-hand how strong the cravings can be, and I think each person has to make the decision for themselves what they are and are not willing to eat when the time comes. It's hard either way, but I'm happy that with the choice I made for myself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

All I wanted my first trimester was fruit (especially citrus) and bread-y carbs and noodles. I ate noochy noodles for a whole week once. I got pretty bad one week with the food aversion and lost about 5 lbs. I could understand why a person would be worried about their baby and if it is getting everything it needs. I think most of us thought when we got pregnant the first time that we would be perfect and eat a balanced diet full of fruit and vegetables, grains, nuts, etc. But... it just doesn't work like that. The thought of spinach made my stomach turn. The closest I could get to vegetables was pureeing them into my fruit smoothies. I think it's Natalie Portman's decision as a mom what she puts in her body, and consequently her baby.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I was afraid I would be craving non-vegan foods but the only things I have really craved are starchy sweets like pancakes and quick breads. In the beginning I really didn't want to eat healthy things either, but it's gotten better. It's just been difficult since my love of cooking has flown out the window. (We also canceled our satellite which means no more cooking channel, and I think a lot of inspiration came from that.) I wonder what Portman's prime motivation was for the diet change.

For a looooong time, my ONLY daydream was of going to a salon by myself. When I finally did manage it, I was like, do whatever you want to my hair, just don't scream at me, vomit on me, or gnaw on my boobs. - coldandsleepy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:22 pm 
Semen Strong

I'm in my first trimester, and honestly I really am humbled by this process. Its so different for each person and I don't think its helpful to judge people's choices. We all just do the best we can.

I get nauseous throughout the day, but read that its really just a symptom that your fetus and you are fighting over nutrients, so its a good time to just eat. I eat 6 meals a day, and make sure that I start the day with a huge green smoothie with added protein. That manages my nausea and cravings at this point, plus I have easy access to nuts and cut fruit in between (because I LOVE them right now!). I get cravings for stuff that isn't vegan, but I also know that often those cravings can be satiated by a veggie equivalent. I ate the heck out of a Houlihan's veggie burger and fries yesterday, because I was dreaming about eating steak. And once I ate my veggie burger, I was satisfied. I intellectually want to eat beans, because they are so high in protein and fiber but even thinking about them makes me want to hurl.

Also, my partner is awesome and makes sure I'm always well fed. I don't even get out of bed for breakfast - he brings it to me and I get up when I feel ready to :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:32 pm 
Grandfathered In

This comment isn't about pregnancy or pregnancy cravings. Or about what to do about cravings during pregnancy or any other time.

Just that I call bullshiitake on the idea that a craving—any craving—is a signal that one's body is deficient in some nutrient or other, and your supercomputer, supernutritionist brain is coming to the rescue.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:36 pm 
And you never will.

FootFace wrote:
I call bullshiitake on the idea that a craving—any craving—is a signal that one's body is deficient in some nutrient or other, and your supercomputer, supernutritionist brain is coming to the rescue.

I agree with you 100% on that one. It really does drive me crazy when people say stuff like that, because I'm like "yeah, my body must really need an enormous slice of chocolate cake. I can feel my body CRAVING it."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:43 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I don't think it's weird or awful that she gave into pregnancy cravings - it's that she craved baked goods and it was too much trouble to get vegan ones. Baked vegan goods! In LA1

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

poopiebitch wrote:
FootFace wrote:
I call bullshiitake on the idea that a craving—any craving—is a signal that one's body is deficient in some nutrient or other, and your supercomputer, supernutritionist brain is coming to the rescue.

I agree with you 100% on that one. It really does drive me crazy when people say stuff like that, because I'm like "yeah, my body must really need an enormous slice of chocolate cake. I can feel my body CRAVING it."

My body must have been lacking vegan buttery-, drowning in syrupy-pancakes all this time!

For a looooong time, my ONLY daydream was of going to a salon by myself. When I finally did manage it, I was like, do whatever you want to my hair, just don't scream at me, vomit on me, or gnaw on my boobs. - coldandsleepy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:47 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Pumpkin wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
FootFace wrote:

My body must have been lacking vegan buttery-, drowning in syrupy-pancakes all this time!

Is that only for pregnancy cravings, because now I am craving that as well, though nothing in the uterus at this time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:59 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Tofulish wrote:
I'm in my first trimester, and honestly I really am humbled by this process. Its so different for each person and I don't think its helpful to judge people's choices. We all just do the best we can.

I get nauseous throughout the day, but read that its really just a symptom that your fetus and you are fighting over nutrients, so its a good time to just eat. I eat 6 meals a day, and make sure that I start the day with a huge green smoothie with added protein. That manages my nausea and cravings at this point, plus I have easy access to nuts and cut fruit in between (because I LOVE them right now!). I get cravings for stuff that isn't vegan, but I also know that often those cravings can be satiated by a veggie equivalent. I ate the heck out of a Houlihan's veggie burger and fries yesterday, because I was dreaming about eating steak. And once I ate my veggie burger, I was satisfied. I intellectually want to eat beans, because they are so high in protein and fiber but even thinking about them makes me want to hurl.

Also, my partner is awesome and makes sure I'm always well fed. I don't even get out of bed for breakfast - he brings it to me and I get up when I feel ready to :D

what a great spousal unit you have!

every pregnancy is different. i wasn't a vegan in my first pregnancy, and in spite of what i know about the food industry, i made a choice to not be vegan during a good portion of my second pregnancy. it was a choice i made--not proud of it. no excuses. i'm really grateful that no one here judged me or gave me shiitake about it. that kind of treatment drove me away from veganism the first time around about 10 years ago. the day i gave birth, i went back to being vegan again.

Post subject: natalie portman...wow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:12 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

http://www.popeater.com/2011/04/11/natalie-portman-vegan/

i don't normally trust these gossip sites but i thought i would share anyway.

Post subject: Re: natalie portman...wow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:15 pm 
And you never will.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9349

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:16 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

can ya tell i haven't been here in a while?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:19 pm 
And you never will.

It's all good! It was posted in the Playground and a lot of people don't hang out in there, so it's understandable :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:29 pm 
Semen Strong

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I don't think it's weird or awful that she gave into pregnancy cravings - it's that she craved baked goods and it was too much trouble to get vegan ones. Baked vegan goods! In LA1

That's the main gripe I have with the article. She basically says that she stopped being vegan because veganism is too hard during pregnancy because (1) its hard to get baked goods that aren't vegan and (2) you have to supplement b-12, iron etc. So it sounds like even a woman with a ton of resources living in tremendously vegan friendly towns (with the resources to hire chefs etc) finds it hard. I completely respect her decision for herself, but I wish she had either said nothing or just said that it was a personal choice at this point, for her own comfort in her first pregnancy, and that she remains committed to animal rights issues and being a voice against cruelty.

Interestingly, my MD says I don't need any additional supplements - she has me on the same prenatal as everyone else, and it has extra iron and b-12 in it anyway.

Maybe we can write to Natalie and offer to send her a constant stream of baked goods while she is pregnant! Still, its good she is at least vegetarian right?

Last edited by Tofulish on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:34 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

FootFace wrote:
This comment isn't about pregnancy or pregnancy cravings. Or about what to do about cravings during pregnancy or any other time.

Just that I call bullshiitake on the idea that a craving—any craving—is a signal that one's body is deficient in some nutrient or other, and your supercomputer, supernutritionist brain is coming to the rescue.

Particularly when, on pregnancy forms, it asks what NON-FOOD items you've been craving. My form listed textiles, cigarette butts, dirt...and some other weird things I don't remember.
Anyway, I definitely can't blame her for "falling off the wagon" during pregnancy. It's hard, it messes with your mind and your hormones, and you go kinda nuts anyway. As long as she goes back after she gives birth, I can't judge her harshly. (Well, I CAN, but I don't feel like it.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:54 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't know if I'd say I had CRAVINGS, it's never been overwhelming, but I have had one hell of a fruit habit since becoming pregnant. (As in, I'll cheerfully eat a pint of organic berries a day, and it's been this way since December. This has not done wonders for our food budget, but I know it's nutritious so I'm not going to complain!) Ethiopian food tastes even better than usual (I don't know if it's all that protein and iron from the teff, lentils, beets, and collards?) and so nearly all our restaurant going is to my favorite local place. Oh, also baked sweets and so delicious ice cream, which I'm guessing is just my body wanting pure calories.

I think sometimes our bodies DO crave foods with nutrients we're lacking. I'm not saying this is nutritionally exact, but I do notice that I tend to want the foods that contain nutrients that have been lacking in my diet lately. I've never felt any urge to eat meat, dairy, or eggs since going vegan, but make me go a week without much fruit & veg and I will kill for salad. It makes some evolutionary sense; a hundred thousand years ago, people didn't have any food pyramids or whatever. How did they know what to balance in their diets? Also, most instances of widespread dietary deficiencies I can think of were mostly about a lack of access - sailors at sea with no fresh meat or produce (scurvy), poor southern blacks restricted to a diet of mostly corn (pellagra). I can't think of any instances where people just kept blithely eating the wrong foods.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

annak wrote:
I can't think of any instances where people just kept blithely eating the wrong foods.

The horrible standard American diet comes to mind.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:04 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I wanted to respond, but luckily Laura at Vegansaurus said it better than I could. http://vegansaurus.com/post/4530956435/ ... -your-diet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

janejellyroll wrote:
annak wrote:
I can't think of any instances where people just kept blithely eating the wrong foods.

The horrible standard American diet comes to mind.

Ha, OK I phrased that badly, but I don't think people are generally nutrient deficient in the US. Yeah, most people aren't eating vitamin-dense foods, and they're eating too much of others, but that's not the same as a vitamin or mineral deficiency. (I guess vitamin D is getting more attention paid to it lately, but I wouldn't consider that a dietary thing as much)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:11 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Too bad her excuse is iron.

There is no iron in dairy products and not much in eggs. Why do people always seem to think that its iron they are short on when they add in that shiitake?

Well, that and if its bakery cakes that got her, they aren't particularly splendid on the iron levels either, but the iron in them would be from the flour and chocolate...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

FootFace wrote:

It's not bullshiitake. The body knows what it wants. When I'm training for Marathons, my body craves protein. I sate that craving with lots of different vegetable proteins. When I scuba dive, my body craves crappy carbs to replace the calories lost by the cold water and exertion, so I eat up on some french fries.

Portman was vilified on this board a few years back. A vegetarian who's done more for animals than almost anyone on this board got smeared so bad they had to delete the thread. That's sad.

My thoughts on pregnancy: Do what you think is best. Don't worry about what a message board thinks is or isn't bullshiitake. Fetal development is the primary importance, and if ignoring your food cravings for non-vegan food is causing you to lose weight, for forks sake eat up. Go back to vegan after, but the baby is more important.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

vijita wrote:
I wanted to respond, but luckily Laura at Vegansaurus said it better than I could. http://vegansaurus.com/post/4530956435/ ... -your-diet

Very nice response.

Cravings during pregnancy can be pretty intense. My problem was always that once a craving hit, I had 10-20 minutes tops to eat something that satisfied that craving, otherwise I'd get incredibly nauseous and likely puke. Hence why I can see how even in a vegan mecca, it could be hard to satisfy a craving for a baked good and keep vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:21 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

tonyb wrote:
FootFace wrote:

It's not bullshiitake. The body knows what it wants. When I'm training for Marathons, my body craves protein. I sate that craving with lots of different vegetable proteins. When I scuba dive, my body craves crappy carbs to replace the calories lost by the cold water and exertion, so I eat up on some french fries.

What's your basis for that statement? And how do you respond to the fact that when athletes overtrain, they lose their appetites (crave nothing), even though they clearly need more nutrients? When I have PMS, does my body REALLY need an entire pint of ice cream followed by a pizza, cake, and a bag of chips? Because that's what I crave, even though all of those things are unhealthy and offer no relief whatsoever, and in fact may exacerbate PMS symptoms.

Of course, pregnancy cravings are an entirely different beast than anything you or I have ever experienced, but from what I know, they are based not on what the body needs, but on changing perceptions of foods caused by massive hormonal and physical shifts that the body goes through in pregnancy, largely the first trimester. Of course, if my understanding of pregnancy cravings is wrong, I hope someone with more knowledge correct me!