| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Natalie Portman gives up vegan diet (during pregnancy).
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:55 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

I am so glad someone is finally asking the really important questions!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:08 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

poopiebitch wrote:
DrakeRedcrest wrote:
Theory: tonyb is Natalie Portman.

It totally makes sense now! And check it: if you rearrange the letters in 'tonyb', replace some of them with other letters, and add some more letters in, it spells NATALIE PORTMAN OHMYGOD!

I was eating oatmeal when I read this earlier, I had to suppress my laugh because I was going to choke, that forced it down into my belleh, put pressure on my bladder and I nearly peed on the couch!

I think pregnant ladies should eat what the hell they like, they've enough to be getting on with without starving. Saying that, I don't like the way Natalie Portman has made it sound (if that interview is accurate) like it's too difficult to be vegan while pregnant. That does a real disservice to veganism and would be pretty shitty of a vegan public figure. I do wish she would shut her piehole about her diet, it's making her look like such a flake.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 am 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
Look. If you didn't study rat mothers and rat babies and how the rat mother's diet affected the rat babies' appetites, how would you ever learn about human mothers and human babies? It's not like you could—oh, I don't know—track what human moms ate and then see what foods their babies preferred. I don't even know how you'd perform a study like that.
Right? Because even if human mothers weren't really hard to find, it's not as if they can keep records, make notes, or communicate what they've learned or observed, am I right?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:23 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Desdemona wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Look. If you didn't study rat mothers and rat babies and how the rat mother's diet affected the rat babies' appetites, how would you ever learn about human mothers and human babies? It's not like you could—oh, I don't know—track what human moms ate and then see what foods their babies preferred. I don't even know how you'd perform a study like that.
Right? Because even if human mothers weren't really hard to find, it's not as if they can keep records, make notes, or communicate what they've learned or observed, am I right?

Seriously! It's not like we've already studied this in humans.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:36 am 
Grandfathered In

mollyjade wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
FootFace wrote:

mollyjade's cited article wrote:
Scientists have long known that, for humans and other mammals, what a mother eats influences the flavor of her amniotic fluid....

Um...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:45 am 
Flounceiad 2011

mollyjade wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Which is exactly why my granny gave me the following sage advice when I was expecting my firstborn: "Drink a pint of stout every day, and if you have any questions about pregnancy, ask a rat." The woman survived two world wars and lived to be 90, so that's good enough for me (and that baby was born with the cutest little twitchy nose and whiskers)!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:48 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

FootFace wrote:
mollyjade's cited article wrote:
Scientists have long known that, for humans and other mammals, what a mother eats influences the flavor of her amniotic fluid....

Um...

If that is what it means to be a scientist, I don't want any part of it. Amniotic fluid -- not vegan. Even if it does taste like cookies.

* Not like scientists were breaking down my door begging me to join them, but still . . .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:59 am 
Grandfathered In

Amniotic fluid is just baby pee.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:10 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

FootFace wrote:
Amniotic fluid is just baby pee.

But it tastes like carrots!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:11 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

appifanie wrote:
Hapax Legomenon wrote:
but I still think being pregnant is a special, special time where you can sit and try not to think about how tasty nacho cheese Doritos are until finally you're hallucinating about them and then black out and wake up ten hours later surrounded by nacho cheese fragments and approximately 64 empty red "Family Size" bags.

personal experience? ;D

I wish. My craving was just condensed tomato soup, sometimes straight from the can if the craving was bad and I couldn't stand waiting for time it took to mix the soup with water and microwave it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:12 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Tofulish wrote:
I thought this was really interesting. Preliminary (warning refers to animal testing) research indicates that a mother's diet can affect her baby's tastes once its born.

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/he ... diets.html

Quote:
these results highlight the simple fact that the health of a developing baby is closely linked to the health of its mother. Women do require extra calories when pregnant and nursing – we have all heard of the phrase “eating for two.” These studies suggest that if the extra caloric requirement is met with oil-rich processed foods and sugary desserts instead of calorie dense whole plant foods, the baby’s food preferences and long-term health may be affected.

Fetal development is a crucial time – it is common knowledge that pregnant women shouldn’t drink alcohol or smoke, because these things could harm the baby. We know that unhealthy foods are damaging to the health of adult humans, so they are likely also damaging to a developing fetus.

Every expectant mother wants a healthy baby, and in addition to the standard advice to avoid alcohol and cigarette smoke, it would be prudent to avoid unhealthy foods.

Pregnant women have enough people telling them what to do. I don't think we should add denying themselves sweets to the list.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:23 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I have never been pregnant (yet), but I always wonder if I will crave non-vegan things when I am. Anyone remember the episode of Friends when Phoebe was pregnant and all she wanted to eat was meat? (She was a vegetarian)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I stayed vegan during my pregnancy, but I'm not about to get all high-horsey with someone who doesn't. None of my business. I do, however, kind of agree with the point made in the vegansaurus post. If you obviously "get" it and you're someone with a huge public platform, why would you broadcast this type of thing? You've got to know how it's going to be taken.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Adah wrote:
Pregnant women have enough people telling them what to do. I don't think we should add denying themselves sweets to the list.

No one tells me what to do or what to eat, I make those decisions for myself like any other adult. But I am committed to learning as much as I can and to supporting my child even when its in utero. That is why the article was interesting to me - the idea that reward pathways are formed before birth and can affect dietary preferences. So my choice is to cut down on sweets because I have 4 risk factors for gestational diabetes and also because I'd like to give my child any advantage I can.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
Adah wrote:
No one tells me what to do or what to eat, I make those decisions for myself like any other adult. But I am committed to learning as much as I can and to supporting my child even when its in utero. That is why the article was interesting to me - the idea that reward pathways are formed before birth and can affect dietary preferences. So my choice is to cut down on sweets because I have 4 risk factors for gestational diabetes and also because I'd like to give my child any advantage I can.
See? You're already an awesome mom! That is really fascinating, and it couldn't possibly do any harm to cut down on things that have no particular nutritional value anyway, right? Just make sure to eat enough baby during the pregnancy, so my little buddy Tofetus can learn how to play with others!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 pm 
Semen Strong

I had take-out for lunch!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:39 pm 

Bwhahahaaaa! <3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:43 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
Now I'm getting hungry!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:56 pm 
Grandfathered In

Desdemona wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Now I'm getting hungry!

+1 yummy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 pm 

Desdemona wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Now I'm getting hungry!

Don't forget to take the stuffing out of the diaper though...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Wait, so if I eat a baby while I'm pregnant, will my child be a cannibal? Ah confusing! I'm really craving baby!*

*But luckily am not pregnant.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yet another reason why I am glad to be newly sterile.

No debates over whether to consume amniotic fluids or cravings to eat soap.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:29 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

BananaNut wrote:
I have never been pregnant (yet), but I always wonder if I will crave non-vegan things when I am. Anyone remember the episode of Friends when Phoebe was pregnant and all she wanted to eat was meat? (She was a vegetarian)

that was me with my first pregnancy. and everyone says I act like Phoebe, I'm not sure if that's an insult. I fell off the veggie wagon and now am vegan, whatever. I was also extremely emotional, bloated, and on moderate bedrest on a stupid island in Washington state with no support except for my meat eating husband-who probably didn't want to ask if I should reconsider my craving in fear. Second pregnancy I lost 30 pounds and couldn't stomach a thing, was pretty close to stabbing anyone who mentioned "have you tried saltines and ginger ale?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5