| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Natalie Portman gives up vegan diet (during pregnancy).
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

When you carefully craft an image for yourself as an ethically conscious person who uses your fame as a platform for good, then your lifestyle does start to matter. Natalie Portman is not a private individual making her own decisions just for herself. She chose to pursue a career that would launch her private concerns into tabloids and all sorts of media, and she makes millions of dollars off being that classy, principled actress everyone loves and respects. The least that could be expected of her in that position would be to be quiet about her failures to lead the principled life she's always credited with. I get it, pregnant women have cravings and nobody's perfect. But why does she have to announce this to the world, validating people's uninformed convictions that veganism is impossible? If she wants her diet to be a personal matter, that's cool, but once you make a public announcement that you're vegan and launch a vegan shoe line and all that jazz, I think you have an obligation to stick with it and honor the post you've created for yourself as an animal rights spokesperson. I'm tired of celebrities using veganism as a tool to market themselves as ethically conscious people. If you want people to respect your diet as a personal choice, then treat it as a personal concern, not a badge of superiority.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Desdemona wrote:
(A quick Google search for "pica" should disabuse anyone of that idea, unless we want to posit that there are special baby-growing properties to be found found in clay, tile grout, or dirt.)

Not trying to be snarky or anything, but generally pregnant women crave pica due to the minerals and/or iron found in whatever non food item they are eating.

I honestly don't care too much what Natalie Portman eats any more than I care what some other woman who I've never met before eats. I will say that someday when I'm pregnant, I won't be too hard on myself if I eating something that's not vegan if it comes down to that. I think women are superheroes just for going through pregnancy in the first place, so whatever they want to eat is fine by me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

as far as i know there's no firm consenses on the etiology of pica. One theory is that it's caused by a deficiency, but other theories say it might be to relieve nausea, so who knows.

anyway, that's not super relevant. i think vegansaurus said it best - who the heck cares, just stfu already, NP?!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:03 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Moved this thread to the Living Room so that people stop making threads about it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:10 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

IsaChandra wrote:
You guys are being really mean. Her husband went off to war and got captured by Islamist extremists and she thought he was dead. He wasn't dead, of course, because he was like THE BEST MARINE EVER. But she thought he was and so she had Jake Gyllenhall build her a kitchen, presumably to bake vegan cookies. And then one night she like SMOKED POT and totally exploded the goodie good image that Jake had of her. And also, the pot gave her the munchies for Jake Gyllenhall's face! Then she found out that her husband was alive but he had committed atrocities worse than Natalie Portman's acting (like his weird haircut.) AND THEN he came home and almost killed EVERYBODY. So ease the fork up and let my girl have the egg cookie that her fetus is craving. JEEZUS.

This is the best post in the history of all posts. And makes me want to see that movie less than I already didn't.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:18 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I myself had a lot of nausea and some puking and pretty much all I wanted was V8 and fruit cocktail. Then at some point I really really really wanted a fish sandwich and I ate 1, loved it, afterwards felt guilty. I did eat some other unvegan stuff like junk crepe baked goods when I was starving and nothing else sounded good. I will say though that I hadn't been vegan for very long and I previously had been pregnant and lost the baby, so I tended to be very panicky about things. If I were to get pregnant again, I would deal with a craving by getting over it with a vegan substitute.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I don't think it's weird or awful that she gave into pregnancy cravings - it's that she craved baked goods and it was too much trouble to get vegan ones. Baked vegan goods! In LA1

I agree. Lame excuse. Plus? She's rich.

eta: That is to say, I'm quite sure she could get her craving satisfied veganly.

Also, I don't think I wanted the fish sandwich because my body secretly felt deficient in anything. I think it was somehow childhood comfort food related.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Last edited by appifanie on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:18 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

j-dub wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:
You guys are being really mean. Her husband went off to war and got captured by Islamist extremists and she thought he was dead. He wasn't dead, of course, because he was like THE BEST MARINE EVER. But she thought he was and so she had Jake Gyllenhall build her a kitchen, presumably to bake vegan cookies. And then one night she like SMOKED POT and totally exploded the goodie good image that Jake had of her. And also, the pot gave her the munchies for Jake Gyllenhall's face! Then she found out that her husband was alive but he had committed atrocities worse than Natalie Portman's acting (like his weird haircut.) AND THEN he came home and almost killed EVERYBODY. So ease the fork up and let my girl have the egg cookie that her fetus is craving. JEEZUS.

This is the best post in the history of all posts. And makes me want to see that movie less than I already didn't.

Agreed. This made me snort REALLY LOUD at work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:21 pm 

helbury wrote:
I craved margaritas like nobody's business while I was preggo. Do you think the baby needed tequila?

Fabulous point. I really wanted beer, and I hate beer. Perhaps the baby needed hops.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:22 pm 

Meggs wrote:

Not being a parent (so I don't understand pregnancy cravings), my only gripe with the article was that she lives in LA or NYC and she couldn't get vegan baked goods? Ok. Whatever. Make an effort. Make your own! Isa has books!

Still mostly true, but just throwing out there that I would crave something and if it wasn't like instantly in my face, then the craving was good and the food repulsed me again.

Really wondering now how I gained so much weight....hmmm....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:30 pm 
Married to the wolfman

There was almost nothing I could eat without vomiting in the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy. If I'd thought milk would have made me not feel horrible, I probably would have tried it.

My feeling is that in general, do what you gotta do in pregnancy. Don't make excuses, but don't beat yourself up over it either.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
I'm in my first trimester, and honestly I really am humbled by this process. Its so different for each person and I don't think its helpful to judge people's choices. We all just do the best we can.

OMG yur pregnant?!? I had no idea! Congrats! Very happy for you two...(and soon 3!) :)

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks WhiskersGal! <3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ijustdiedinside wrote:
as far as i know there's no firm consenses on the etiology of pica. One theory is that it's caused by a deficiency, but other theories say it might be to relieve nausea, so who knows.

anyway, that's not super relevant. i think vegansaurus said it best - who the heck cares, just stfu already, NP?!

Picas are so bizarre. I can tell when my anemia gets bad because I start to feel like I'd do anything for a cup of crushed ice. It feels like craving a drug. First time I realized it was weird was when I dropped everything and ran to the freezer when I got home before even saying hello to Molly. I asked my doctor about it after that.

I can sympathize with cravings, just wish she didn't have to be so vocal about it. Really though, if she snuck around eating cakes and cookies, someone would eventually call her on it.

Hopefully Emily DesChanel is as much news, though being happy vegN probably isn't as newsworthy as stopping.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:21 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

Someone probably asked her whether she was still vegan, and she blathered. Her excuses sound lame, but I still think being pregnant is a special, special time where you can sit and try not to think about how tasty nacho cheese Doritos are until finally you're hallucinating about them and then black out and wake up ten hours later surrounded by nacho cheese fragments and approximately 64 empty red "Family Size" bags.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:38 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

j-dub wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

Agreed, I'm kind of in a reverent awe. Humbled by the Isalation!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:59 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

sunnybear wrote:
Not trying to be snarky or anything, but generally pregnant women crave pica due to the minerals and/or iron found in whatever non food item they are eating.
ijustdiedinside wrote:
All I know is that I've had three kids, and if my fetus had wanted me to eat lawn fertilizer, I would have known that Mother Nature was schooling my pregnant asparagus and acted accordingly! (As the slogan says, "Great Scott, what a fetus!")
appifanie wrote:
helbury wrote:
I craved margaritas like nobody's business while I was preggo. Do you think the baby needed tequila?
Fabulous point. I really wanted beer, and I hate beer. Perhaps the baby needed hops.
During one of my pregnancies, I really wanted a hot pastrami sandwich and a beer. Since there has never been a time before or since when I would have even considered eating a pastrami sandwich, and I do not for a moment believe that my unborn child had a saturated fat, nitrate, and alcohol deficiency, this was a craving that remained unindulged and, in good time, passed. I have no doubt that if I had gone running to the local deli, screaming for a greasy meat sandwich to put an end to my crazy vegetarian ways, I'd have been met with universal smiles of approval and encouragement (the beer, maybe not so much), but the fact is that had I done so, it would have been because I had decided to eat it, not because my developing fetus "needed" its as-yet-incomplete arteries clogged.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:03 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Damn Natalie, you a crazy chick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:03 pm 
And you never will.

Desdemona wrote:
not because my developing fetus "needed" its as-yet-incomplete arteries clogged.

How DARE you deprive your fetus the right to an early chance at heart disease of its as-yet-incomplete heart! Unborn babbies have as much a right to get drunk and fat as the rest of us, you selfish bisque!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Theory: tonyb is Natalie Portman.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:06 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

poopiebitch wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
not because my developing fetus "needed" its as-yet-incomplete arteries clogged.

How DARE you deprive your fetus the right to an early chance at heart disease of its as-yet-incomplete heart! Unborn babbies have as much a right to get drunk and fat as the rest of us, you selfish bisque!
I realize this now. Which is why I am going to get drunk, pregnant, and more drunk - in that order - while bellying up (literally) to the all-you can eat carnage buffet at my local BBQ joint. Lil Cletus-Bob's brothers may have had to make do with brown rice and lawn fertilizer, but I'm going to do better for this little puppy!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:08 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Desdemona wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

I realize this now. Which is why I am going to get drunk, pregnant, and more drunk - in that order - while bellying up (literally) to the all-you can eat carnage buffet at my local BBQ joint. Lil Cletus-Bob's brothers may have had to make do with brown rice and lawn fertilizer, but I'm going to do better for this little puppy!

Like!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:08 pm 
And you never will.

DrakeRedcrest wrote:
Theory: tonyb is Natalie Portman.

It totally makes sense now! And check it: if you rearrange the letters in 'tonyb', replace some of them with other letters, and add some more letters in, it spells NATALIE PORTMAN OHMYGOD!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:10 pm 
And you never will.

Desdemona wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

I'm so glad you've seen the error of your ways! Now pass the booze - I'm workin' on a beerfetus myself!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:11 pm 
Grandfathered In

But if anemia makes one crave ice, what does that say about the idea that cravings are the body's way of correcting nutritional deficiencies? Is water an especially good source of iron?

mayoclinic.com wrote:
It's not known why some people with iron deficiency anemia crave and chew ice. Results from one study suggest it may be because of ice's pain-relieving properties, since some people with iron deficiency anemia experience tongue pain and inflammation (glossitis). The same researchers found that ice has a new and better taste to some people who are iron deficient.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

wait, footface, i'm sort of confused about who you're arguing with here? natalie portman?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next