| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Natalie Portman gives up vegan diet (during pregnancy).
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:15 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Hapax Legomenon wrote:
but I still think being pregnant is a special, special time where you can sit and try not to think about how tasty nacho cheese Doritos are until finally you're hallucinating about them and then black out and wake up ten hours later surrounded by nacho cheese fragments and approximately 64 empty red "Family Size" bags.

personal experience? ;D

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:18 pm 
And you never will.

ijustdiedinside wrote:
wait, footface, i'm sort of confused about who you're arguing with here? natalie portman?

*cough*AKA TONYB*cough*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My roommate hypothesizes that since you get 50 units of dopamine from naturally pleasurable things like food you like, when you have a craving its the dopamine your body wants. Doesn't necessarily apply to pica and ice but maybe pregnancy cravings are intense because hormones are out of whack and you neeeeeed dopamine!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:27 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

poopiebitch wrote:
DrakeRedcrest wrote:
Theory: tonyb is Natalie Portman.

It totally makes sense now! And check it: if you rearrange the letters in 'tonyb', replace some of them with other letters, and add some more letters in, it spells NATALIE PORTMAN OHMYGOD!
It's like the Da Vinci Code, only even dumber! (Which who knew was even possible?!)
poopiebitch wrote:
I'm so glad you've seen the error of your ways! Now pass the booze - I'm workin' on a beerfetus myself!
YEE-HAW! My (completely imaginary) beerfetus challenges your beerfetus to a an in-utero beer-bong altercation to cause in-utero perspiration!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

poopiebitch wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
wait, footface, i'm sort of confused about who you're arguing with here? natalie portman?

*cough*AKA TONYB*cough*

ohh, how did i miss the whole first page? thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have not read the whole thread, but when I found out I was pregnant I told myself I was going to stay vegan and then about a week or two later I lost my taste for nearly everything: tofu, fake meat, nooch, greens, tomatoes, most vegetables actually. The only things I could eat were fruit, cheese and chickpeas. I decided that I was OK being vegetarian for my pregnancy since I have access to great food and I know where all the animal products I eat come from and that the animals were treated with decency, even if it is still exploitative. My friend gives me eggs from his backyard chickens, although about a week ago I completely lost my taste for eggs and will be giving the rest to my neighbors. Anyway, this is what has worked for me. I am sure some people will not/would not/did not give up veganism, but I am completely comfortable with my decision. I am starting to move more and more back to veganism because I plan to be vegan again after I have the baby.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:49 pm 
Grandfathered In

ijustdiedinside wrote:

I have to know who I'm arguing with? Explain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Fee wrote:
Damn Natalie, you a crazy chick

Natalie Portman wrote:
Yo shut the fork up and suck my dick!

What were we talking about?

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can honestly say I never craved anything non-vegan when I was pregnant. Then again, pretty much all food disgusted me except mashed potatoes (or, potatoes in any form really), fruit, green salad, water and like Natalie, baked goods. I can't afford a personal chef, yet, I had no trouble eating plenty of vegan cake, cookies and donuts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:49 pm 
Hip Goiter

Natalie Portman wrote:
This is what being vegan did to me, all you self-righteous still-vegans:

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
I'm in my first trimester, and honestly I really am humbled by this process. Its so different for each person and I don't think its helpful to judge people's choices. We all just do the best we can.

I get nauseous throughout the day, but read that its really just a symptom that your fetus and you are fighting over nutrients, so its a good time to just eat. I eat 6 meals a day, and make sure that I start the day with a huge green smoothie with added protein. That manages my nausea and cravings at this point, plus I have easy access to nuts and cut fruit in between (because I LOVE them right now!). I get cravings for stuff that isn't vegan, but I also know that often those cravings can be satiated by a veggie equivalent. I ate the heck out of a Houlihan's veggie burger and fries yesterday, because I was dreaming about eating steak. And once I ate my veggie burger, I was satisfied. I intellectually want to eat beans, because they are so high in protein and fiber but even thinking about them makes me want to hurl.

Also, my partner is awesome and makes sure I'm always well fed. I don't even get out of bed for breakfast - he brings it to me and I get up when I feel ready to :D

Congrats Tofulish! I am sorry if I completely missed you posting this somewhere else (I'm not one that is usually checking out The Playground). I wish you and the hubby great success. I know you'll both make wonderful parents! XOXO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:06 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

WhiskersGal wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
I'm in my first trimester, and honestly I really am humbled by this process. Its so different for each person and I don't think its helpful to judge people's choices. We all just do the best we can.

OMG yur pregnant?!? I had no idea! Congrats! Very happy for you two...(and soon 3!) :)

I thought the same thing! Congrats Tofulish! Eeeeeeee!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:07 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Dudez, I just watched Black Swan. Don't matter what that bisque do, just stay the eff away from her. She's effed up! She's all stabby and shiz, don't know what the hell is goin' ON! Just be glad she isn't eatin' yo face off!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

she'll kill your forking dog for fun, so don't push her!

which is also not vegan.

Last edited by Hardcastle McCormick on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:34 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

j-dub wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:
You guys are being really mean. Her husband went off to war and got captured by Islamist extremists and she thought he was dead. He wasn't dead, of course, because he was like THE BEST MARINE EVER. But she thought he was and so she had Jake Gyllenhall build her a kitchen, presumably to bake vegan cookies. And then one night she like SMOKED POT and totally exploded the goodie good image that Jake had of her. And also, the pot gave her the munchies for Jake Gyllenhall's face! Then she found out that her husband was alive but he had committed atrocities worse than Natalie Portman's acting (like his weird haircut.) AND THEN he came home and almost killed EVERYBODY. So ease the fork up and let my girl have the egg cookie that her fetus is craving. JEEZUS.

This is the best post in the history of all posts. And makes me want to see that movie less than I already didn't.

Okay, I had to IMDB this movie to find out what you are talking about. Now I am freakin' watching it on Netflix instant. Dammit. WHHHYYYYY???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:07 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

1st pregnancy I ate a LOT of junk-stuff I have no interest in eating when I'm not pregnant. vegan junk but still. I also ate cheese. I was in super monster want to eat cheese mode. I had been vegan for at least 5 years then. Someone told me to eat avocado instead. That didn't work. I didn't eat a lot of cheese, but still..

This is my 3rd pregnancy and all I want to eat now (in 3rd trimester) is smoothies/juices and of course both our blender and juicer have been broken for at least 2 months.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:15 am 
Semen Strong

I thought this was really interesting. Preliminary (warning refers to animal testing) research indicates that a mother's diet can affect her baby's tastes once its born.

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/he ... diets.html

Quote:
these results highlight the simple fact that the health of a developing baby is closely linked to the health of its mother. Women do require extra calories when pregnant and nursing – we have all heard of the phrase “eating for two.” These studies suggest that if the extra caloric requirement is met with oil-rich processed foods and sugary desserts instead of calorie dense whole plant foods, the baby’s food preferences and long-term health may be affected.

Fetal development is a crucial time – it is common knowledge that pregnant women shouldn’t drink alcohol or smoke, because these things could harm the baby. We know that unhealthy foods are damaging to the health of adult humans, so they are likely also damaging to a developing fetus.

Every expectant mother wants a healthy baby, and in addition to the standard advice to avoid alcohol and cigarette smoke, it would be prudent to avoid unhealthy foods.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:43 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Tofulish wrote:
I thought this was really interesting. Preliminary (warning refers to animal testing) research indicates that a mother's diet can affect her baby's tastes once its born.

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/he ... diets.html

Quote:
these results highlight the simple fact that the health of a developing baby is closely linked to the health of its mother. Women do require extra calories when pregnant and nursing – we have all heard of the phrase “eating for two.” These studies suggest that if the extra caloric requirement is met with oil-rich processed foods and sugary desserts instead of calorie dense whole plant foods, the baby’s food preferences and long-term health may be affected.

I think it's obviously true that pregnant women need to get a lot of nutrients and should aim for a healthy diet, but it sounds like it's not always feasible. I've never been pregnant, but I hate throwing up. If eating greens made me throw up -- yeah, I'd probably stop eating them. I tend to think that what you feed children when they're growing up is more likely to influence their eating habits than what you ate while pregnant (provided you're not depriving them of anything important).

Of course, I was a bizarro kid who loved vegetables, despite not eating fresh ones my entire early childhood.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:53 am 
Nooch of Earl

There's a recent book called "Origins" that talks about this kind of stuff a lot. It's kinda pop-journalistic-sciencey, but it's a quick, interesting read.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:53 am 
Semen Strong

You are arguing with SCIENCE!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:01 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Tofulish wrote:
You are arguing with SCIENCE!!!!!

With one study! On rats!

The rat pups were presented with junk food. They didn't have their momma rat keeping junk food out of the house, or making them finish their kale first. :D

I'm not saying that there's not something there. Just that a woman probably didn't completely fork over her fetus if she ate a couple pints of So Delicious while pregnant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:24 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I realize this isn't a well-rounded discussion of veganism and pregnancy, but I feel kind of sad while reading this thread. There are a lot of people who are eager to tell vegans that we can't be healthy. The issue of food aversion and nausea aside (I can't even imagine what that would be like and obviously you've got to eat something when you're pregnant), I feel like we sometimes internalize a lot of the food messages that society throws at us and think we do sometimes need animal foods for some "magical" health promoting or craving satisfying property.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:34 am 
Grandfathered In

Look. If you didn't study rat mothers and rat babies and how the rat mother's diet affected the rat babies' appetites, how would you ever learn about human mothers and human babies? It's not like you could—oh, I don't know—track what human moms ate and then see what foods their babies preferred. I don't even know how you'd perform a study like that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:46 am 
Nooch of Earl

FootFace wrote:
Look. If you didn't study rat mothers and rat babies and how the rat mother's diet affected the rat babies' appetites, how would you ever learn about human mothers and human babies? It's not like you could—oh, I don't know—track what human moms ate and then see what foods their babies preferred. I don't even know how you'd perform a study like that.

I'm not sure a random experiment on fetuses and babies would be easily approved...and the lack of this kind of rigorous scientific study is, IMO, holding back a lot of medicine, especially obstetrics, where the highest they seem to hope to achieve is "evidence-based medicine" which still isn't science, however great medical types seem to think it is. I'm not pro-animal testing by any means, but since babies aren't raised in a cultural vacuum this sort of study would be REALLY hard to do. Not to be a grouch or whatever, but as someone with a science and engineering background I find the lack of rigor in medicine insane.

I would love to see some studies on humans I thought sufficiently corrected for all kinds of other cultural factors, but I don't see it happening. Meanwhile, I'll keep eating my pint of berries every day, because I can't see why it would hurt anyone. (Though yes, I still have free will and I can't really say I've experienced any food urges remotely irresistible.. I just don't see why it's such a far off theory that we want to eat things that do, generally, provide the nutrition we need. We're pretty unspecialized as far as animal diets go..how do less intelligent but more limited animals manage it, if not steered basically by foods with nutrients they need tasting pretty good?)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:49 am 
Naked Under Apron

Natalie Portman wrote:
Yo shut the fork up and suck my dick!

Natalie Portman is trans?

Mat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next