| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: The Voice
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:52 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I was really angry last night when Sasha (oh my god, her voice!) didn't get any votes while Blake's team was safe. I mean, have they not heard Amber's range? I don't think her song choice was right, and I don't think Sasha's was either...and I can understand why I didn't feel it was their best performance, but I feel like the other 2 of Blake's acts have been 1 trick ponies for the whole show. People hate change. I will seriously crawl into a hole if Judith Hill, that guy that sounds angelic and soft, Sasha, and Amber don't get some kind of a boost off of being a contestant here. That would extinguish my hope that these shows are anything more than a cheap ratings grab (which they totally always are). I resent these shows with a passion, but something about this round of competitors got me really into it, and I feel like I got suckerpunched.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:19 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I should preface this by saying that pop/top-40 isn't really my thing, so your mileage may vary obviously, but I've been pretty bored with everyone this season, and I don't think Sasha and Amber were anything great. Amber was so forgettable to me, and Firework was a hot mess. And Sasha was good, but even after all these weeks, I still have no idea what kind of album she'd put out ( and IWALY was dreadful, imo). But in the realm of reality singing competitions, I actually feel like not winning is better than winning (see J Hud who has gone on to do amazing things,yet finished 9th(?) during her season of AI, yet I couldn't tell you who won).

The best part of last night for me was getting to see Terry and Nick perform again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes, Terry and Nicholas. If Danielle wins, and after Cassadee last season, the audience picks just suck.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

fauxfrancais wrote:
I feel like the other 2 of Blake's acts have been 1 trick ponies for the whole show.

What you see as a one trick pony others see as a clear sense of musical direction. Danielle and the Swon Brothers are country - period. Nobody needs to know if they can do rock, because they'll never do that in their musical careers. This is why I thought it was ridiculous when Sasha did a country song. That's probably the only time she will EVER sing country music. And I agree with Gaia that Sasha never really defined her point of view. It was just one week after another of randomness (which I think was Judith's downfall as well). The three remaining contestants probably have the strongest musical identities of anyone in the top 10, which gives them each a clearly defined fan base.

Jill wrote:
If Danielle wins, and after Cassadee last season, the audience picks just suck.

Consider the quality of today's top 40 music and the popularity of people like Justin Bieber... those fans are a lot of the voting audience, so the winners of these shows rarely surprise me. I can pretty much count on not ever listening to the winners again. Nicholas, however - I'll buy anything he puts out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:22 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Nicholas's song was great. I totally want to seek out his EP.

Zelavie, I agree with you about the clear musical direction and each act appealing to their base, and that's why they are the top 3. Plus let's face it, the top 3 have been consistent. Amber's Katy Perry song was gawd-awful and Sasha has a great voice but her choices were meh most of the time. I was not a fan of the Swon brothers at all in the beginning and thought they'd get kicked out quickly, but I will admit, they seem to get better each week and while you can tell its the Swon brothers, each song doesn't sound the exact same (to me).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:19 am 
Dead by dawn

Cher looked like she had a chicken on her head. Like one of those fancy breeds. And yahoo totally spoiled the winner for the entire west coast. Big ol' headline, less than half way through the show. Jerks. Not that it was a big surprise but still...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:18 pm 

Did anyone else watch last night? I'm really liking this new toned down Xtina(and she actually seems so excited this season, unlike before where she looked bored to tears).I also loved how Adam was trying to get CeeLo to fight for people more, and he was. Usually he just does his one bit and then lets everyone else fight, but he was getting into it for the few I watched. I didn't watch all of it, though I dvr'd it, but I hope Josh Logan goes far. I remember him from Rockstar:Supernova and liking him there. Seems like he's had a few rough years since then, though.

And I'm not overly excited yet since I haven't confirmed it, but I don't think Christina Milian(sp?) is coming back. She's currently on DWTS, and her bio isn't up on the nbc website. If she isn't there, that could single-handedly be the best thing of the season for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:00 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I am always torn with Christina. I kinda love her, but there are moments when she makes me greatly dislike her. Last night, she was a perfect example of why they do blind auditions. At least twice in that episode, she did the post-audition button-press once she saw what the singer looked like. If they're not good enough when you can't see them, they won't get any better when you can.

Otherwise, I was happy with the episode. I've always enjoyed the rapport that these 4 judges have with each other, and it's just fun to watch. And I would be very happy if they nixed the Christina Milian bit - that was such a waste of time!

I didn't really see the appeal in the guy who got the "fastest 4-chair turnaround". I went back and re-watched his audition again, and I still don't hear what the judges heard. I mean, he's good and all, but not climbing all over furniture, running on stage to hug him good. Was that just me?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:31 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Oh man, that second lady that sang (Caroline), is SO good. I adore her voice.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love Tesanne Chin. lovelovelovelove. love.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:16 am 

mamachandra wrote:
I love Tesanne Chin. lovelovelovelove. love.

Me too. I really, really hope Adam doesn't do anything stupid and she makes it to the live rounds. Love her.

zelavie wrote:
I didn't really see the appeal in the guy who got the "fastest 4-chair turnaround". I went back and re-watched his audition again, and I still don't hear what the judges heard. I mean, he's good and all, but not climbing all over furniture, running on stage to hug him good. Was that just me?

Not just you. I re-watched and re-listened to it and yeah, he's good, but I wasn't blown away by him or anything.

I don't get all the love for Carolin(and not just by you, j-dub, I'm seeing it everywhere). I get that different people like different things and all, and that's fine, but for me, her voice has a bit of a nails-on-chalkboard quality to it. Hopefully she can change my mind with her battle song.

I really wish they hadn't shown EG Daily doing the Tommy voice(Rugrats) before her audition because while she was singing, that was all I could hear and it was really distracting.

So far, my favorites are Tessanne, James, Josh, and Nic(he's this year's Cody for me-highly entertaining and a decent singer). I realized last night when they were recapping who was on each team that I don't remember half of these people. And how funny was Blake when he was talking about how diverse his team was this season, cut to them reacapping it and all but 2 or 3 were country artists. Way to diversify there, Blake.

Can someone explain something to me because I really don't get it. Why do they show sob stories for some who don't get any chairs to turn, yet some that made it through don't get more than a quick montage? I'd rather see everyone who made it through so I'm not surprised by someone come the battle rounds instead of someone who I'm probably never going to see again. It doesn't seem fair to those who made it. And I get that the blinds would be boring if everyone shown was someone who made it, but at least throw some who didn't in with everyone who did.

I'm not sure what to make of the mentors this season. At least Cher will hopefully have some good advice for maintaining a long-term career.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

gaia13 wrote:
Can someone explain something to me because I really don't get it. Why do they show sob stories for some who don't get any chairs to turn, yet some that made it through don't get more than a quick montage? I'd rather see everyone who made it through so I'm not surprised by someone come the battle rounds instead of someone who I'm probably never going to see again. It doesn't seem fair to those who made it. And I get that the blinds would be boring if everyone shown was someone who made it, but at least throw some who didn't in with everyone who did.

My theory: They film those snippets before the blinds, but they don't go to everyone's hometown - just those with a "good story." Maybe still showing those is their way of feeling like they didn't waste all those production dollars? I've always assumed that the ones who get on teams with almost zero camera time during the blinds are the ones who don't make it past the next round.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:13 pm 

I just watched both of this weeks eps, and I have to say, I'm a bit scared for the live shows to start after seeing everyone picking their own songs again. Man were there some huge trainwrecks. I'm happy with who is continuing on, though, but would have liked to see James in the live instead of Gray. She's just so meh to me, and I forget she's even there until she shows up on my tv.

Did they say anything about how early they told the contestants who they were singing against? IIRC, they didn't know until Carson announced it, but this year seemed different.

I'm loving what they stylists are doing with Xtina this season, and think she has looked fantastic, but they should let the contestants style themselves. There were some crazy outfits going on, and I'm not sure who is to blame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm really not loving the judges' song choices for the first live shows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:55 am 

Me either, zelavie. I was pretty much bored with everyone. If they continue like this, I'm gonna need whatever CeeLo was smoking Mon night to get through the eps.

Reply to topic  [ 415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17