| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Voice
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

allychristine wrote:
The Line girl had an awful attitude! So glad she picked Moses. I thought he was great. I think the choices this episode were pretty spot on, except I liked Justin more than Tony.

I know! She was horrible. I didn't think she was as good as her partner.

I also preferred Justin, but I like raspy, rough rockers. I can see why CeeLo picked Tony, I just didn't like him much. He sounded just like his blind audition, didn't add anything new to his performance, I thought.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I can't vote watching this on hulu, but here are my thoughts.

I just can't connect with Chris Mann for this competition, despite his crazy amazing voice.
Not a country fan, so didn't really like Raelynn.
I would vote for Moses!
What was going on with Lindsey Paveo after her performance?? She was all hunched over with weird faces??

I really like Erin Willett, Ashley de la rosa, and have to appreciate Jesse. Charlotte does have a good range, but I don't like her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I love Jordis Unga, but it's mainly from her performances on Rockstar INXS. Her songs on this show haven't showcased her voice as well IMO. I loved her versions of Heart Shaped Box and Man Who Sold the World from Rockstar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

rohai wrote:
I love Jordis Unga, but it's mainly from her performances on Rockstar INXS. Her songs on this show haven't showcased her voice as well IMO. I loved her versions of Heart Shaped Box and Man Who Sold the World from Rockstar.

I liked Jordis this time, mainly because she was hitting some of those notes she had problems with when she was on Rockstar. Nice to see how much she's improved in the last few years.

allychristine wrote:
I can't vote watching this on hulu, but here are my thoughts.

I just can't connect with Chris Mann for this competition, despite his crazy amazing voice.
Not a country fan, so didn't really like Raelynn.

Chris is the only one I voted for! I love his voice, and that he's keeping his sound. I did not like the arrangement, or the music accompanying him, though. He could have sung it a cappella and been great. I have a feeling he's too polished for some people, though. I'm afraid the training he's had may hurt him if he can't break out of it, loosen up.

And yeah, some of the country singers don't do it for me. Raelynn's cute and all that, but her voice just seems all over the place to me, not that I listen to country.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:55 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I'll come back with more coherent thoughts tomorrow when I'm not half asleep, but I'm sad Moses is gone. I really liked him. I was actually surprised at all of Xtina's bottom 3, as I had them pegged as the top 3. Very glad Jordis is safe. It's amazing how she can be #1 on the rock charts on Itunes and still be in the bottom 3, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:09 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Last night's ep is the first that I've seen this season. I don't know if it's what these kids already have, or is Xtina really molding them into performers? Her team kind of knocked my socks off. I bought a song by the girl with the half-shaved head though. I really like her voice (can't remember the name/too lazy to look). ITunes also had her singing "Heart-Shaped Box," but I didn't care for it as much.

I really liked Moses, but every time he said "posed" instead of "supposed" I cringed.

I'm going to have to watch the old eps now for more of the girl with the locks. I loved her voice. I don't think the song she sang showcased it really. I don't think she needs to necessarily only sing reggae, but I don't know. Not sure what I would have picked instead.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:41 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

On Blake's team, I'm pleased with the results with the exception of RaeLynn. She's a cutie and all, but her singing has NEVER been good. Ever. Ever! Doesn't matter what genre she sings (I despise country as well), because her voice would still sound awful and weird.

Christina has a pretty good team, though I'm not sure about Lindsey Pavao. She has a cute haircut and an interesting voice, and yet her performances are all really forgettable somehow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:10 am 

That's the girl I like, Lindsey Pavao! Primarily because I like her voice though. She reminds me a bit of Anya Marina.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:27 am 
Huffs Nooch

queenofpainting wrote:
On Blake's team, I'm pleased with the results with the exception of RaeLynn. She's a cutie and all, but her singing has NEVER been good. Ever. Ever! Doesn't matter what genre she sings (I despise country as well), because her voice would still sound awful and weird.

totally agree. I was really surprised when Blake was talking about how amazing she is. I just don't see it.

So far I'm a pretty big fan of Ashley de la Rosa and Erin Willett. Erin can SING! And I agree with the judges' assessment that Ashley has improved dramatically.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Bella Luna wrote:

totally agree. I was really surprised when Blake was talking about how amazing she is. I just don't see it.

So far I'm a pretty big fan of Ashley de la Rosa and Erin Willett. Erin can SING! And I agree with the judges' assessment that Ashley has improved dramatically.

Agree!
I think Lindsey has been good on some things, but I have not liked others, and none of her stage performances have been good. Ashley was pretty amazing on her save song! As much as I did love Moses (and yes, the "posed" thing..), Ashley won that one. I'm surprised Raelynn was saved.......

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:40 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

OK, so first things first: JAMAR.

I thought that I could not possibly love him more, but I have discovered tonight that I do. He was amazing, as always, and the song choice was really smart. Still pulling for him to win. What a positive, talented, beautiful (in the true sense of the word) person.

Second: Juliet. Loooove her. She was incredible, too.

Mathai was also good (and she looked absolutely stunning).

I know they are better than what they did tonight: Kim, Katrina.

They seem like nice people, but "eh": Tony Vincent, Karla Davis.

I just do NOT get it, not one bit:
Tony Lucca (agree w/ Xtina, snoozefest)
Pip (maybe because I'm not a tween)
James (again, not a tween)
Erin (PLEASE be voted off already)

Still scratching my head over how in the hell RaeLynn was saved last week (cute girl, bad singer), so who can even begin to guess what will happen tomorrow. However, I'll only keep watching for as long as my favorites are around.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:29 am 

Loved Jamar and Juliet last night. Both were so far ahead of everyone else, IMO. They just had great stage presence and commanded the audience more than the others.

I was slightly confused when Katrina started singing. After their rehearsal tape of her needing to not be compared to Adele she comes out looking very similar? I don't think her voice has enough grit to pull off Tonight,Tonight, either. Like CeeLo said, she didn't sound tortured enough.

Karla, if you can't rap, why'd you pick a rap song. This was horrible to me. And if she really wanted to sing this song, they should've let her sing just the singy parts of it.

I like Tony, but wasn't blown away by this performance.

tgw777 wrote:

Not a tween, but I kinda liked Pip in his audition. It seems like he's trying so hard to come off as older than he is. And yes to Erin being voted off. I couldn't even listen to more than 15 sec. of that whatever it was.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

gaia13 wrote:

I was slightly confused when Katrina started singing. After their rehearsal tape of her needing to not be compared to Adele she comes out looking very similar? I don't think her voice has enough grit to pull off Tonight,Tonight, either. Like CeeLo said, she didn't sound tortured enough.

100% with you. Not the best song choice (though hardly the worst one of the night, that dubious honor definitely falls on Karla). And the Adele thing, she was totally copping Adele's style w/ the outfit, the makeup, the hair. Not saying she did it intentionally or whatever, but the second I saw her I was all "oh Adele". Not sure if the Adele thing is going to work for her (because people like things they are familiar with) or against (because people are also prone to the 'why have the copy when you can have the real thing" thinking).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

tgw777 wrote:
OK, so first things first: JAMAR.

I thought that I could not possibly love him more, but I have discovered tonight that I do. He was amazing, as always, and the song choice was really smart. Still pulling for him to win. What a positive, talented, beautiful (in the true sense of the word) person.

Second: Juliet. Loooove her. She was incredible, too.

Mathai was also good (and she looked absolutely stunning).

I know they are better than what they did tonight: Kim, Katrina.

They seem like nice people, but "eh": Tony Vincent, Karla Davis.

Tony Lucca (agree w/ Xtina, snoozefest)
James (again, not a tween)

Still scratching my head over how in the hell RaeLynn was saved last week (cute girl, bad singer), so who can even begin to guess what will happen tomorrow. However, I'll only keep watching for as long as my favorites are around.

I agree with most of this, but I'm a bit more into James. I like his voice.
Jamar and those stilt guitarists! Pretty amazing.
Karla was pretty bad, and I do not like Erin! Some really good ones tonight, though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, and I really liked Katrina in the battles, but you just can't do a Smashing Pumpkins song! I'm not up to date on current music, so I haven't even heard the Adele version.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

Okay, I'm just going to be upfront and say it. I don't get why everyone is so hot for Juliet. Sure, she can sing rock pretty good, but have we seen if she can do anything else?

Katrina sounded good, wasn't a fan during the last shows, but she did okay, song just wasn't right for her, or anyone else's it seems.

Didn't care for Tony Vincent before because of his 'theatricality' in his voice, but I think he needed a little more last night.

I still like Tony Luca, don't care what XTina said. And can we mention all the bisqueing she's been doing against everyone else's singers? I know she's trying to play her own up and everyone else down, but when she told someone "I'm just checking my notes on you", i was like, what? You're not judging them, the audience is.

Jamar def. was the winner if last night had one.

And I agree a bit with Blake, why all the elaborate sets when all we want to do is hear them sing?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Liz_D wrote:
Okay, I'm just going to be upfront and say it. I don't get why everyone is so hot for Juliet. Sure, she can sing rock pretty good, but have we seen if she can do anything else?

And I agree a bit with Blake, why all the elaborate sets when all we want to do is hear them sing?

I didn't especially like her in the beginning, but I thought she showed a different side with this performance. It wasn't all totally gritty and screamy. She also has a great softer voice with some uniqueness.

I like seeing how they grow as performers, as well. I like some of the sets, but some are a bit silly. I like the energy and fun that they can bring. I just think it's amazing that people can walk and do stuff on stilts!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 pm 

allychristine wrote:
Oh, and I really liked Katrina in the battles, but you just can't do a Smashing Pumpkins song! I'm not up to date on current music, so I haven't even heard the Adele version.

I don't think there's an Adele version(at least I hope not), I think Adam was just saying that she sounds a lot like Adele and needs to try and be her own person. But yeah, some songs should just be off limits on these types of shows, and Smashing Pumpkins def. fit that bill.

Liz_D wrote:

I don't know about you, but part of being a good performer to me is being able to put on a good show. I love the theatricality of some of these performances, and as an example, I don't think Jamar's would have been quite so solid if he was just standing there singing w/o the set/people on stilts, etc.

I'm glad Erin and Karla are gone, but I'm sad that Kim and Tony left. I think that the latter two showed more talent than some of those still there and I'm curious if it was a case of people thinking they'd be safe so they didn't feel the need to vote or if people just genuinely don't like them/their voices.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I agree with the choice of Katrina, compared to the other performances. Kim just seemed off, and there was something strange about her performance. I liked her throughout, and hope she can find something out of this show.

I don't really get why Pip made it through...but maybe he can showcase himself. Chessa's voice is really powerful, but it seemed pretty breathy to me? Erin was awful, and glad she's gone! Did not like her voice. I thought Tony did really well, and it was super rude of Christina to say "...is that your name?!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:56 am 

I thought that was rude of Xtina, too!

Adam seems like his team is kind of the clunker.

I hearted Cee-Lo and Xtina's cardigan most of all. (I don't think I'm watching the show right.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Cee Lo seems super awesome.... I always say that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:29 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

allychristine wrote:
Liz_D wrote:

I didn't especially like her in the beginning, but I thought she showed a different side with this performance. It wasn't all totally gritty and screamy. She also has a great softer voice with some uniqueness.

I like seeing how they grow as performers, as well. I like some of the sets, but some are a bit silly. I like the energy and fun that they can bring. I just think it's amazing that people can walk and do stuff on stilts!

This (sort of).

I loved Juliet from the beginning. Granted, I am rock-biased, but her voice has a lot more to it than just grit, which I think her last performance showed more of than her previous ones did (although I think she would be wise to a slow sultry number next time).

And I do get the staging, because this is a big TV show, but beyond that, part of assessing someone's star power is seeing what they'd be able to do on an arena stage. I think it is especially relevant here, because while I have seen some great coffehouse performers in my lifetime, that is not what this show seeks. Jamar and Juliet both commanded that big stage, while others seemed to be devoured by it. You can still be a great singer and not know how to command a stage like that (see: Kim), but will that win this for you? Not so likely.

So glad Erin Martin is gone. Memo for her, hopefully she gets this one: You are NOT Bjork. Bjork has an unparalleled vocal ability and the unique artistic perspective to match it. Just because you can do weird things with your voice and look good in edgy outfits doesn't mean you are anything at all like her.

I've heard cats in heat do what she was trying to better.

And I agree w/ ndpittman, Adam ain't winning again this year. I think it's going to be either Cee Loo (yay) or Xtina (relax the 'tude please).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:41 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm not a fan of big theatrics during musical performances either, but Blake needs to get over it. He sounds like a crotchety old man. I get that that stuff can be distracting and silly, but for him to refuse to look past it in order to critique the contestants' performances just feels petty and childish. I usually really like him (on the show, not as an artist), but he's been hella getting on my nerves.

And yeah, f'real Xtina, stop being such a dick to everybody! I thought she was unnecessarily harsh to Tony Lucca, who is not my favorite or anything, but damn.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

elouise wrote:
I'm not a fan of big theatrics during musical performances either, but Blake needs to get over it. He sounds like a crotchety old man. I get that that stuff can be distracting and silly, but for him to refuse to look past it in order to critique the contestants' performances just feels petty and childish. I usually really like him (on the show, not as an artist), but he's been hella getting on my nerves.

And yeah, f'real Xtina, stop being such a dick to everybody! I thought she was unnecessarily harsh to Tony Lucca, who is not my favorite or anything, but damn.

I think Blake is doing it so he DOESN'T have to critique anyone, but I just kind of agreed with it. Maybe because I'm watching "The Voice" and not America's got talent. My friend also brought up a good point, at least for me and my cheap tv, that the background singers are kind of distracting too, on my TV and hers they sometimes overpower the singer. I did like last season when they'd all sing together, that's when they could do up the performances. Just my 2 cents.

I didn't get to watch all of last nights episode, but heard about Xtina's attitude towards Tony V. I liked her more last season when I thought she was drunk the whole time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:43 am 

I just saw a commercial for Monday's show and it said they were doing instant eliminations. I don't remember them doing that last season and I'm not sure how they're going to do it. I can't see any of the coaches sending any of their own team down because that would be lowering their chances of winning and if they have the other coaches choose, I could see them sending people home out of spite, either to give their own team a better chance or just because another coach said something they didn't agree with. Although honestly I could get rid of half a dozen of the singers right now.

Reply to topic  [ 415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next