| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Any Atheists out there?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:57 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Thinking of you, Rw, and admiring your bravery and courage in telling those around you.

Facts are a scam. - FootFace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:23 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Thanks so much Ruby Rose!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ruby Rose wrote:
Thinking of you, Rw, and admiring your bravery and courage in telling those around you.

This. I can't imagine how difficult this situation is, Robinwomb, but it's really brave of you to stand up for who you are instead of hiding. Here's hoping you find the support you need. And just know there are folks here who you can vent to when you need.

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:17 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Rw, stay strong and brave. Keep doing what is right for you. I think that joining the local free thinkers group was a good move for you. Try to find other such groups where you can make like minded friends. You said your dad is no religious. Can you find some support from him?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:07 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Thanks everyone! Things haven't changed much since I last posted. I have so much on my plate right now I just haven't had the time or emotional energy to discuss it more with my partner. We both just sort of avoid the subject of religion and focus on other stuff together. But occasionally he tries to slip in something "Christian". I have an upcoming certification exam to get through, and hopefully after I pass that I will have a life again and time to explore some issues and figure things out.

My Dad has been supportive of my decision to leave the church, but it's not something we talk about a lot. I still have not yet visited my partner's family since my outing. My partner has never said anything to them. I sometimes think it's wise to choose your battles and let the rest go, but I sometimes wonder if that's also an excuse to avoid the subject with them because I fear their reaction. Christianity is EVERYTHING to them. They've accepted my veganism, and to an extent "overlook" my sometimes liberal stance, but I just don't think they would be able to swallow my atheism. Both of them are in their 80s and not in good health. For now I remain silent and pretend if need be with them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:27 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I am one ... always have been I guess ... came from a C of E (Anglican) English family in Canada who used the church for the 'hatched, matched & despatched' ceremonies of life with some visits on Easter Sunday & Christmas Day ...

once I started living on my own I dumped all that & when my husband & I got married he had the vicar remove all mention of God from the services ...

I am a humanist ... one can be a good, caring human without believing in some higher power ... the universe is infinite ... where does HE live?

just behave yourself, be kind ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:09 pm 
Grandfathered In

I don't even think I'm a humanist. I mean, I think humans are (theoretically) pretty awesome, with their/our consciousness, language, and capacity for selfless behavior. But mostly I think we're all—all us living things—just a bunch of stuff held together temporarily.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:42 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Atheist here as well. Luckily Sweden is pretty secular and even religious people are rarely in your face about it, which I appreciate.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have some residual religiousness left over from my school days, I think. My rational mind doesn't believe there is a supreme being, but I take comfort in thinking there could be something.

But as insurance, I'm saving $ for cryogenics.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:26 am 
Saggy Butt

Yes! My favourite vegan podcast did an episode about this (apologies if posted before)

http://veganwarriorprincessesattack.com ... kim-socha/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:36 am 
Saggy Butt

I am.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:11 pm 
Grandfathered In

I think this might belong here.

While I was walking to the bank today, I came upon a dead dog.

Spoiler: show
The German shepherd had obviously been hit by a car. There was blood on the sidewalk, and someone had covered the dog with a tarp.

I called animal control, and they told me I wasn't the first to notify them, and an officer would come as soon as possible.

Here's why I'm writing this:

I didn't feel right about leaving before the animal control officer came. But I'm not sure why, exactly. I just know that it didn't seem right. But right to... whom?

I'm not religious. I'm not spiritual. (And that word usually makes me cringe.) But I waited in the windy cold for a half hour, until the guy came. The thought of just walking away felt... wrong. I wanted to do my vegan duty, but why, exactly? If I had left, no one would have been harmed. And no one benefited by my staying. Except for me, maybe? I guess I wouldn't want someone to walk away and leave me lying on the sidewalk, but why should I care?

Maybe the moral is that we don't need religion to do things that are irrational (or just non-rational).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:26 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

FootFace wrote:

Maybe the moral is that we don't need religion to do things that are irrational (or just non-rational).

Without finding the words I'm looking for I would say that that is a statement I find to be true.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FootFace wrote:

I'd still like to think, all things being equal, that compassionate and irrational is still better than rational and unsympathetic. No shame in erring on the side of being kind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:30 am 
Saggy Butt

hoveringdog wrote:
I'd still like to think, all things being equal, that compassionate and irrational is still better than rational and unsympathetic. No shame in erring on the side of being kind.

Agree agree agree.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

I agree, too, of course.

I'm just not sure how waiting was actually kind. Or what assumptions or beliefs led me to believe it was.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:40 am 
Saggy Butt

Presented without comment, mostly because I thought it was an interesting read: https://theestablishment.co/the-witchcr ... .e9o86hvwx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7