| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feminist Frequency Online Harassment
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

I don't know how many of you follow her but Anita Sarkeesian/Feminist Frequency started a Kickstarter Project and has been being attacked online the last few days. Here is the article that she wrote about it: http://www.feministfrequency.com/2012/0 ... wikipedia/

Post subject: Re: Feminist Frequency Online Harassment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This kind of thing really blows my mind, the sense of entitlement behind it makes me sick.

I can't believe that even moderate criticism of gaming can cause such a ridiculous kneejerk response.

And I bet these are the same people complaining that gaming is not taken seriously.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:57 am 
Inflexitarian

I just donated to her project, which is now massively *over*funded thanks to backlash against the harassers. Take that!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:32 am 
WELFARIST!

There's a huge sense of entitlement within nerd culture and that's one of the reasons why I love Anita. She is an extremely intelligent and strong woman within nerd culture that is taking a stand and trying to work towards making things better for everyone. It strikes me as very strange for certain people to get so up in arms over, like Mat said, some moderate criticism of video games. Why do they have such aversion to it? It's defensive and childish.

Yes, thanks quark! I'm so happy that she was able to turn such a negative thing into something positive. Didn't they know that this would happen?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:36 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

These cowards would never say this to her face.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
These cowards would never say this to her face.

Yes, yes they would. It's pretty unpleasant. I could find examples, but I'm not gonna.

And no, these typically aren't the people who want games to be taken more seriously, who, in my experience, are usually pretty cool and not raging 15-year-old sexism beasts (possibly in the bodies of 30-year-olds).

There's a weird divide between solid, mature gamers who are pretty thoughtful about games and who write and who engage in active criticism of the medium (see: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com and some others) and the 15-year-old rage beasts. Things are actually getting better in general-- there are more women making games and writing about games, and there's a more solid attempt to engage women gamers. There are, however, also the multi-million-dollar AAA titles like Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty which generate and apparently encourage a flat-out toxic online community.

I dunno, I'm not going to analyze it here, but there's a reason I mostly play single-player games and avoid global voice chat when I do play online games...